Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,667 members, 7,851,272 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:12 PM

Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful (15261 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by UGBE634: 9:03pm On Nov 17, 2021
samuk:

We have to be more careful and thoughtful the way we look at these matters.

You authoritatively claim to be a Benin person.

My question is, what makes someone a Benin person?

1. Is it by birth, meaning anyone born in Benin irrespective of were their parents comes from.

2. Is it by being born into one of the Benin numerous families?

Starting from option one above, are you aware that there are established families in Benin that originally migrated from elsewhere.

Are children born to Benin people in diaspora less Benin than those born in Benin City?

During the days of empire, numerous Benin family migrated out of Benin just the way thousands have migrated to Europe and America in recent years. Are the children of these immigrants that migrated to Rivers, Imo, Anambra, Benue, etc in the olden days and recently to America and Europe, Benin.

Who then have the right to say someone is either Benin or not? If Wike in Rivers says his ancestors were Benin, who has the right to say he his lying, if Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe said his ancestors were Benin, who has the right to say he lied.

On classification of various ethnic groups, are you not committing the same error as those that thinks Benin people are yoruba by claiming that Ika were originally Igbo. Are you aware that numerous Ika people will be offended by such claim just the way you are offended when someone classify you as yoruba.

Why would you be offended when you are called a yoruba person, it's because Benin is much more older and established as an ethnic group to come under any newly formed name such as Yoruba, Benin has been in existence centuries before the word Yoruba came into existence.

Similarly, Ika is much older than the word Igbo, so if you wouldn't like to be call a yoruba, why do you think majority of Ika people wouldn't take offence when called Igbo. Mind you there are Edo people or some Benin people that wouldn't mind being called Yoruba just as there are Anioma/Ika people that identify with the Igbo identity , but these people are usually in the minorities and it's their right to identify with any ethnic groups they are comfortable with.

There is a post on Idu here on nairaland, the author said he is not Igbo, he is from Abia state, but his people were just classified as Igbo, if someone from Abia state can make such claims, why would you think Ika were originally Igbo.

To the average southerners, everyone in the North is Hausa/Fulani, to the average northerners, anyone in the south is either a yoruba or Igbo, to the average yoruba, you are either Hausa or Igbo.

To the average Igbo person, Benin is yoruba and the average yoruba sees Benin as Igbo.

Those of us interested in history should be more sensitive to the various ethnic groups in Nigeria and identify them the way they want to be identified. We daily fight those that call us yoruba and shouldn't be making the same mistake, Most Ikas don't identify as Igbo.
Your point is tight but you missed it a bit when you used Benin as your comparison for Yoruba against Ika and Igbo, a more appropriate comparison would be Owo or maybe Usen (Usen is not even so a perfect comparison here as they are Bilinguals and they are considered Edo Edo proper because they are part of the seventy four families in Benin as against the fact that Ikas are not bilinguals except those that are by choice because of their love for Edo and proximity-many Abavos can speak Edo because they border Urhonigbe)or Igala but not Benin

I would not be Offended because Benin is much older than Yoruba, I would only be Offended because I am not yoruba because Benin is not yoruba, she is Edo and she is Edo proper proper, a close classification in this case would be Usen but not perfect

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 10:59am On Jan 07, 2022
gregyboy:

I see because i kicked your ass you decided to lay with the yorubas....

If i ask you to prove this you will fail woefully

If you insist on trying i will give you a doubt

You dont even know benin history not to say oyo but you were so fast to comment

Tribalistic yoruba obsessed bigot. You are pure piece of shiit. I won't be suprised if you are imasuen izoduwa. Pure trash so obsessed with Yoruba because you are intimated and because your civilization is soured from ife. You'll continue to be bitter all the days of your life
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Curious346: 11:00am On Jan 07, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Tribalistic yoruba obsessed bigot. You are pure piece of shiit. I won't be suprised if you are imasuen izoduwa. Pure trash so obsessed with Yoruba because you are intimated and because your civilization is soured from ife. You'll continue to be bitter all the days of your life
you guys are trying oo..

Its not easy to insult ooo.

I just can't do it
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:11am On Jan 07, 2022
Etinosa1234:
Remove nri... Those ones didn't have any Empire... But between Benin and Oyo, if u talk abt longevity of both empires , its Benin that has the longest ruling Empire... But as about territories conquered, Oyo has it... And that's what contributed to their early downfall by early 19th century

Very unbiased and true. No matter my ethnic loyalty. Benin empire/kingdom(has most scholars will call it) lasted much longer for sure and that's because during its imperial period it never overstepped its boundaries so it wasn't over stretched. Oyo under the other hand was more aggressive and eventually paid for it externally and even internally
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:13am On Jan 07, 2022
AreaFada2:

Benin Empire lasted far longer than Oyo. Oyo prospered on slave trade while slave trade was already banned in Benin.

Only the other ethnic groups like Igbo and Yoruba were allowed to buy and sell themselves because they insisted on it.

Benin people Could not buy, be bought or sold or sell anybody. Aside minor slave raids in periphery Benin villages. A fact the French trader Monsieur Landolphe attested to that Benin ethnic group don't do slave trade.

So Oba of Benin does not go to Americas seeking Benin slave descendants.

Benin fought off the Idah people beginning in 1515, preventing islamisation across River Niger. Oyo was still a minor state then. Oyo could not fight off the Jihadists over 300 hundred years later. The current Alaafin is even a Muslim.

So consider many factors in deciding. Reach, duration, current monarchs that came from the ruling houses respectively, influence on areas outside empire's own linguistic group, etc.

Nri could never be seen as an empire at any time in history. More like a priestly state like Ife.
It could have been. There are even reconsiderations that ife could have been an empire however not as aggressive as benin or oyo due to its influences in mang parts of the south west of the niger river. Read Hortons : Ife, a reassessment
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:16am On Jan 07, 2022
gregyboy:

Now i want to laugh, haha...

The only fall benin had was economic power loss which it lost because of its unending civil which struck various times in 1600Ad, they lost some vassal during this period and regained them back by 1700AD,the Europeans made it know benin fell during this period economically not militarily wise

Benin military were so large that if there was internal crisis it wont affect its military power

Benin economic power fell by 17c ....when the benin monopoly was reduced by influx flow of several European to it shores despite its economical fall it had monopoly over some states despite the economic fall oyo could have not even be richer than benin some niger delta states at this time would even be way far richer than oyo, which probably never existed, if it did exist, benin was trying to expand its economic piwer into further interior when the clash of intrest btw benin and British fell out,

Please go read afc ryder, benin and the Portuguese relationship

Benin never fell militarily throughout till it fell with
The British forces, during 19 century few months before the benin british war, part of benin armies
Where in owo to burn it down by the orders of the oba of benin because they revolted

European saying benin fell had their standard for saying so, benin never fell to the point it would sweat to pull oyo forces down

If you have read samuel johson book on yoruba war, you would see benin played a vital role, supplying military wares to yoruba warriors and even sent forces that defeated the oyo in ekiti.

I dislike people who just read and dont rationalized what they have read it makes them have baked knowledgeable people

1) The point is at what standard did the European consoder benin economic fall or even the military fall,

2)did the benin fall affect or anyway strengthened the oyo empire, the answer is no

3) how true was the oyo economic and military strength in their peak to the benins

4) how varse are you in both knowledge

I see you have little knowledge on benin history TAO11 wouldn't even say this rubbish you spilled up there, because she knows much to spill such errors

You foolishly imply here that benin was somehow a cause for destroying yoruba meanwhile at the time the concept of yoruba unity even if the identity was solidified was loose. Benin monarchy, army and administration was literally yoruba. Benin was literally like ijebu then. If you must know ijebu was against ibadan and oyo in many wars too and sided with the eastern kingdoms like benin too. This were city states at war
The apparent distinctness between benin and other yoruba states wasn't as large as it is today. Be smart!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:18am On Jan 07, 2022
gregyboy:

Oyo never conquered any empire oyo was formed through social agreements through probably econmic influence, it wanted to strengthen is military when crisis set in, no vassal paid homage to it, it was like sokoto influence on its northern state, just the way we admire america but yet it has no influence on nigeria thats how oyo was to the yoruba states it had no military autonomy over it neither did they pay homage to it, it was only admired just as ife was admired as a religiou cemtre,

Now dont get this wrong dahomey attacked oyo which resulted oyo attacking and subduing it, that is the only war oyo had to fight before the yoruba war broke out

So oyo literally was never an empire....

You nogoted fool with no references but vain imaginations from thin air. Benin is actually not the empire. Check academia and the internet. Barely anyone refers to benin as empire but oyo on the other hand is different. You are irrelevant in this discourse.
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:20am On Jan 07, 2022

Nri wasn't an imperial setting but welds much influence visble to this day

what about bini, now cornered to one senatorial district..

Please in whatever binin and yoruba comparison, u guys should stop dragging igbos to such nonsense.

we have nothing in common with both abeg.

make una stop dragging ndigbo to such nonsense abeg.

you guys can compare unasef but leave igbos aside.

I laugh grin grin this people are deluded. In fact nri could have been more of an empire die to influence. Definitely not as aggressive but that nri kingdom needs to be reassessed like they're doing for ife
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:25am On Jan 07, 2022
AreaFada2:

Like it or not, there were Igboid people within umbrella of Benin Empire. As slave trader reports showed. They along with yoruboid subjects reached an agreement with Benin authorities to allow them buy and sell themselves only. Even Olaudah Equiano made it clear he was a Benin citizen of Igbo ethnicity.

If Igbo now say he was too young to know such political details, then he was too young too to know that he was Igbo or from West Africa at all. He could also have fabricated an Igbo name and could have been bought in Congo, Gold Coast or Angola. grin cheesy

Today we wish Igbo good luck in their Biafra quest, but it doesn't change history.

Another mad man suffering from ethnic minority syndrome. There are many people in the Americas tracing themselves to benin you fool. And infact the benin yoruba kings did as they liked with their edoid benin slaves including urhobo and esan and indigenous Beni people. You are a mad man
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:32am On Jan 07, 2022
Edeyoung:

Lol, see mugu....

Were you intending to troll

Benin fought oyo at ekiti and defeated them, benin fought nupe at igala, benin fought hausa, benin fought yorubas and they all won

Lastly they fought the British which dey lost

I want to pick the hairs on your butt hole... Lol

Bring sources. Benin of that time was yoruba please. Yoruba was never a city state but a shared identity. Yoruba was the lingua franca of the benin kingdom administration and language of both indigenous and non indigenous people. The nobles themselves many of them were from ife. So benin was a yoruba city state attacking other yoruba city state like owo and akure, that's pretty much it. All this nonsense you are saying is because of ethnic minority syndrome

1 Like

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:38am On Jan 07, 2022
Dartilo:
It's really obvious that there exist a big space of hatred in your heart towards the Benin's.
What really your definition of civilization? U made mention of low intelligence quotient(IQ) and low self esteem,I blv Alaffin of Oyo is a patient to that illness,y such an old man and his household dey bleach,probably the gods order him to?, or he was ashame of his original skin colour (low self esteem)?

All over the world Benin is still been refer to as an ancient city the cradle of black civilization and u come here to claim glory of the copy and paste civilisation of a western television, u also mention how the then Western region exploited Benin to their own advantage.u are so funny, b4 d coming of the white man system of govt who exploited who, as far as otun in ekiti,where was Oy0,y e no protect his brother's...

Go to European university or even American university mention the Alaffin of Oyo and Oba of Benin and observe a neutral response

Hypocrite!! He has hatred but your brothers coming up with threads to denigrate known history all over the world, insult yoruba people, tell lies and make up stories don't hve hate right?? Idiot
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 11:59am On Jan 07, 2022
mr1759:
From ages the name Benin has been a tribe in existence but Yoruba was never a tribe, Yoruba is a derogatory name Fulani call some unreliable people Yaribaa which is now today called Yoruba.
Edo is the cradle of black civilization

Another uninformed idiot. Where is your sources?? The yoruba identity is shared in many things which funny enough the benin kings and the bini kingdom shared from. The kingship, ifa, ogboni, the dialects being literally the same language. Yes the unity is new but the identity has been long ongoing especially during the height of ifes powered when spirituality and civilization spread from ife to many parts of the south of Niger. Hausa called yoruba yarruba but it means nothing in their language. The word yoruba is found in the 16th century book of a man in the mali/shoghai empire who was describing the people. He never said he have them the name but that's what they're called. This was echoed by sultans Bello book as well when he was discussing yoruba origins. Yarruba means nothing in hausa or fulani. Your cheap lies are uncovered once more plus one wonders the inter to which you write this. How much hate and pain and frustration you must be going through. I hope you keep going through it the rest of your life! Yoruba success will continue to chk you. Because even if your lies were to be true, yoruba have also always been known as lukumi people or aku people or omo kaaro ojiire from shared ifa corpus, it was even written in. 17 th century document that the benin merchants and itshekiri merchants spoke lukumi language.

Ref: The term Yoruba was not used to refer to an ethnic group or a set of people with related dialect until it was used in the 16th-century treatise written by the Songhai writer, scholar, and political provocateur, **Ahmad Baba al-Massufi al-Timbukti. *
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2022

oyo never ruled Benin (whatever that means). tao has sold you deluded guys a lot of fake history. The weird thing is that tao is actually not very smart, yet that troll manages to fool the likes of you. This tells me all I need to know about your own intelligence.

Just show me an eyewitness record of "oyo ruling over Benin" (whatever than means), then I will give you 2000 dollars.
Also, I have never heard of a country ruling over an other, I have heard of an empire having provinces, but never "france rules over mali", it is rather "the king of france rules over mali", an entire country doesn't "rule" over an other, its king might... but anyways you guys like to hang on to crumbs, keep quoting words which you don't understand and which were written by people who were not eyewitnesses. But so long it suits your ego, any mad comment is allowed.

The only truth: europeans have been visiting west africa since the 1400's and they met a Benin empire ruled by the Oba of Benin, they named the sea "Bight of Benin" and drew maps and wrote texts. No where did they witness "oyo ruling over Benin".

I am tired with the likes of you.
(Claiming everything Benin seems to be the new(since the fall of Benin empire) found faith of the yoruba)

Cc Tao12

Please destroy this idiot
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 12:57pm On Jan 07, 2022
UGBE634:
Your point is tight but you missed it a bit when you used Benin as your comparison for Yoruba against Ika and Igbo, a more appropriate comparison would be Owo or maybe Usen (Usen is not even so a perfect comparison here as they are Bilinguals and they are considered Edo Edo proper because they are part of the seventy four families in Benin as against the fact that Ikas are not bilinguals except those that are by choice because of their love for Edo and proximity-many Abavos can speak Edo because they border Urhonigbe)or Igala but not Benin

I would not be Offended because Benin is much older than Yoruba, I would only be Offended because I am not yoruba because Benin is not yoruba, she is Edo and she is Edo proper proper, a close classification in this case would be Usen but not perfect

Benin is older than yoruba. Ethnic minority syndrome make people talk unintellectual stupid nonsense. What your proof and evidence of this?? Just forceful imaginations and dreams in your bigoted insecure mind?? Lmao relax. Benin civilization is yoruba, it's monarchy is yoruba. It's recorded the lingua franca was lukumi an ancient name for yoruba people and language. It's clearl as daylight, most of the nobkes of benin are descended from ife and they preserved tier spirituality and language for a long time. The most revered idols in edo are yoruba. Many names people are so used to are yoruba with yoruba prefixes and suffixes. Oba, omo, uyi or iyi, uwa, aken, ade. The kings praises and appellation have yoruba. Your greatest king ewuare name was ogun first and his name is actually yoruba meaning trouble has ceased. Chief edibiri live the no 3 man in benin talks proudly of coming from ife. I can go on and on. This supremacy battle you keep fighting, others will hit you hard with it with facts and i also have insults. You are literally so obsessed with yoruba all of you. Why don't you rest this way to esan or urhobo lmao. So inferior and insecure. Bini indigenous peoples are slaves to the yoruba oba. Cry!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by AreaFada2: 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Another mad man suffering from ethnic minority syndrome. There are many people in the Americas tracing themselves to benin you fool. And infact the benin yoruba kings did as they liked with their edoid benin slaves including urhobo and esan and indigenous Beni people. You are a mad man
I write because of cultured people quietly reading, so that a swearing uncouth agbero doesn't believe that he can intimidate reasonable people. Because 9ja is a place where thugs and touts run things, sadly.

While you like insulting anyhow like a garage boy, you have not been able to dispute what a contemporary French explorer and trader, Mr Landolphe, said. In his diary, during his journey between Benin City and Gwatto (Ughoton) port, of the 100 or so slaves displayed along the roadside for sale, the slaves and the traders were majorly Igboid and Yoruboid subjects. No Benin people. What you forget is that all successful empires gave various degrees of autonomy to provinces/chiefdoms/kingdoms who had their norms and traditions. Empires that refused to do so often faced disobedience and uprising simultaneous in several colonies. Very costly to quell many rebellions at the same time.

It's a pity many do not like to read anymore. Good to read about Egyptian, Greek, Achaemenid, Roman, Ottoman, and other empires.
Of late, some crazy Igbo people try to cause animosity between Benin and other Edoid people. A lazy divide and rule tactics. grin cheesy. They should focus on their Biafra fight with Fulani and MURIC and leave others out.

What you forget is that Benin people moved as far as Ghana. I have met many Ga people (principal owners of Accra) who confirmed their Benin origin. You were idiotic to read where I wrote that there were some raids in peripheral Benin villages. If in all 1,000 people were caught in those raids and assuming 500 survived the transportation and inhumane conditions to arrive in the Americas and if even just 250 managed to reproduce, don't you know how many thousands their descendants would be today? Yet, it would be miniscule compared to Igbos in Haiti/Tabago/Jamaica or Yorubas in Brazil and elsewhere.

All Edoid people knew their relationship with Benin/monarchy, including confirmation of dukes/rulers of those places back then. Some may not know in the confused, messed up and distorted 9ja entity of today.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Igboid: 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2022
AreaFada2:

I write because of cultured people quietly reading, so that a swearing uncouth agbero doesn't believe that he can intimidate reasonable people. Because 9ja is a place where thugs and touts run things, sadly.

While you like insulting anyhow like a garage boy, you have not been able to dispute what a contemporary French explorer and trader, Mr Landolphe, said. In his diary, during his journey between Benin City and Gwatto (Ughoton) port, of the 100 or so slaves displayed along the roadside for sale, the slaves and the traders were majorly Igboid and Yoruboid subjects. No Benin people. What you forget is that all successful empires gave various degrees of autonomy to provinces/chiefdoms/kingdoms who had their norms and traditions. Empires that refused to do so often faced disobedience and uprising simultaneous in several colonies. Very costly to quell many rebellions at the same time.

It's a pity many do not like to read anymore. Good to read about Egyptian, Greek, Achaemenid, Roman, Ottoman, and other empires.
Of late, some crazy Igbo people try to cause animosity between Benin and other Edoid people. A lazy divide and rule tactics. grin cheesy.

They should focus on their Biafra fight with Fulani and MURIC and leave others out.

What you forget is that Benin people moved as far as Ghana. I have met many Ga people (principal owners of Accra) who confirmed their Benin origin. You were idiotic to read where I wrote that there were some raids in peripheral Benin villages. If in all 1,000 people were caught in those raids and assuming 500 survived the transportation and inhumane conditions to arrive in the Americas and if even just 250 managed to reproduce, don't you know how many thousands their descendants would be today? Yet, it would be miniscule compared to Igbos in Haiti/Tabago/Jamaica or Yorubas in Brazil and elsewhere.

All Edoid people knew their relationship with Benin/monarchy, including confirmation of dukes/rulers of those places back then. Some may not know in the confused, messed up and distorted 9ja entity of today.

Lol! Which Edoid people do you mean by the above.
Stop speaking in riddles. grin

1 Like

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Jameseddi1: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2022
AreaFada2:

Of late, some crazy Igbo people try to cause animosity between Benin and other Edoid people. A lazy divide and rule tactics. grin cheesy. They should focus on their Biafra fight with Fulani and MURIC and leave others out.

It might really be so but if this slaves where Igbo or Yoruba this yoruba and Igbo was under the Benin empire according to slaves that was sold at that time. Don’t believe me believe the slave.

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by AreaFada2: 12:51am On Jan 10, 2022
Jameseddi1:

It might really be so but if this slaves where Igbo or Yoruba this yoruba and Igbo was under the Benin empire according to slaves that was sold at that time. Don’t believe me believe the slave.

You still did not get it. Leaders and merchants of some territories of the empire wanted the right to trade in their people. Colonies always had certain rights that they could negotiate with the centre to keep. Benin could not ban everything in remote colonies if their leaders wanted to keep those traditions or privileges. That was politics. If they won't be bought or sold by Benin people, Benin people would not be sold or bought, then that was politically fair enough as part of devolved rights.

Ask yourself why most other tribes/kingdoms in Africa didn't have the vision to refuse to sell their people into slavery.

Benin wanted it's core Benin Citizens as warriors and administrators of colonies. Benin was therefore way ahead. When I hear that Britain abolished slave trade in 1807 I laugh. Left to Benin, slavery would have stopped before plantations in Americas really began to be in huge need of slaves. In the 1640s or thereabout. Some argue that Benin supported Eleko Kosoko of Lagos who supported slavery. Lagos as a colony reserved the agreed right to trade as it wanted. Benin had no reason to trash that agreement unless mutually renegotiated, not at the behest of Europeans.

When the Europeans refused to buy Benin pepper, linen and other goods if Benin would not sell them slaves, Benin banned all trade with those Europeans. Yes, it led to economic decline of Benin while Oyo rose on the back of slave trade. Money/economic power is used to fund military to expand territory. Even till today. History is there to read.

Remember that Oludah Equiano's case was even a raid in his village. Most likely by people who knew the area. It wasn't an area core Benin people lived close to. There were many illegal channels for slave trade, just like narcotics today. Banned by every government but still a thriving illegal trade.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Jameseddi1: 8:32am On Jan 10, 2022
AreaFada2:

You still did not get it. Leaders and merchants of some territories of the empire wanted the right to trade in their people. Colonies always always had certain rights that they could negotiate with the centre to keep. Benin could not ban everything in remote colonies if their leaders wanted to keep those traditions or privileges. That was politics. If they won't be bought or sold by Benin people, Benin people would not be sold or bought, then that was politically fair enough as part of devolved rights.

Ask yourself why most other tribes/kingdoms in Africa didn't have the vision to refuse to sell their people into slavery.

Benin wanted it's core Benin Citizens as warriors and administrators of colonies. Benin was therefore way ahead. When I hear that Britain abolished slave trade in 1807 I laugh. Left to Benin, slavery would have stopped before plantations in Americas really began to be in huge need of slaves. In the 1640s or thereabout. Some argue that Benin supported Eleko Kosoko of Lagos who supported slavery. Lagos as a colony reserved the agreed right to trade as it wanted. Benin had no reason to thrash that agreement unless mutually renegotiated, not at the behest of Europeans.

When the Europeans refused to buy Benin pepper, linen and other goods if Benin would not sell them slaves, Benin banned all trade with those Europeans. Yes, it led to economic decline of Benin while Oyo rose on the back of slave trade. Money/economic power is used to fund military to expand territory. Even till today. History is there to read.

Remember that Oludah Equianoh's case was even a raid in his village. Most likely by people who knew the area. It wasn't an area core Benin people lived close to. There were many illegal channels for slave trade, just like narcotics today. Banned by every government but still a thriving illegal trade.

See Benin people wich was the first citizen lives here In city of kings Benin kingdom lived far beyond to lagose west and east boder by bight of Biafra cameron of now, at that time a slaves is being use sacrificed in Benin kingdom so na to sell them oh be problem? U might say Benin king didn’t sold slave but the chiefs and second in command might do this, according to European the only people or place they bought slave from in Nigeria was Bight of Benin and Oba of Benin was in full control of this kingdom. #Factonly

1 Like

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Jameseddi1: 8:35am On Jan 10, 2022
Come with fact this was documented as where all slaves in Nigeria was bought

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 12:24pm On Jan 14, 2022
AreaFada2:

You have no evidence of any benin presence in ga. Instead i hve evidence and I'll give you one if the ga people saying they came from ife. You are just crying my guy. And learn to cite references to your nonsense.

You benin slvs to my yoruba omo noba have nothing else to say than this slavery nonsense about population shoes how buttered you and your people will remain forever. Very few slaves were repatriated and those who were knew their roots like samuel Ajay crowther and they are still yoruba people so that argument is completely dead on arrival. The population of different cities wsd recorded by Europeans during this time and the population of the yoruba people was always more. It's not my fault that we don't have an edoid supra group and identity like that of the yorubas. Even if you had yoruba will still be 10* more than you. And let me tell you the reason why there is no edo or edoid supra group, that's because the most supreme king of that area cane from ife brought his spirituality, his language which became a lingua france and his culture which was well preserved till the British onslaught. Therefore that areas couldn't be so homegenous as there was a clash of cultures ad the mobilizes of benin were ife and many others weren't including those under their later imperialistic kingdom. But in yoruba land there is still one homegenous shared identity, spirituality, language and shared monarchy system with ife. Keep crying I'm here for your tears grin
Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 12:25pm On Jan 14, 2022
AreaFada2:

Again, this conclusion which I have inevitably reached is not mine. This is simply the conclusion of historical scholarship. This can be seen in the following works:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A beautiful summary of this conclusion of scholars of
African history (some of whose names and works are listed above) is shown in the page below from Adam Knobler (2016), p.47.

Peace! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by RedboneSmith(m): 1:58pm On Jan 14, 2022
AreaFada2:

In his diary, during his journey between Benin City and Gwatto (Ughoton) port, of the 100 or so slaves displayed along the roadside for sale, the slaves and the traders were majorly Igboid and Yoruboid subjects.

You have been saying this on NL for a while now, but each time you are asked to present the evidence you go cold. Please, give us a direct quote from Landolphe's diary where he said Igbo slaves were displayed on the road between Benin and Ughoton. Don't ignore this request, please [even though you'll most likely ignore]. Post Landolphe's statement to this effect.

PS: I should inform you that I have access to Landolphe's "Memoires" in the original language (French), so if you bring a fake quote, I will find out.

2 Likes

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by TAO11(f): 10:05pm On Jan 14, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Again, this conclusion which I have inevitably reached is not mine. This is simply the conclusion of historical scholarship. This can be seen in the following works:

A. Akinjogbin (1967), F. Willett (1973), R. C. C. Law (1973), R. Horton (1979), A. Obayemi (1980), R. Smith (1988), B. Adediran (1991), D. Bondarenko (2003), S. A. Akintoye (2010), A. Ogundiran (2020), et al.

A beautiful summary of this conclusion of scholars of
African history (some of whose names and works are listed above) is shown in the page below from Adam Knobler (2016), p.47.

Peace! cheesy
Are you referring to the screenshot below?

4 Likes

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by SirNewtonNG: 12:19am On Jan 15, 2022
TAO11:
Are you referring to the screenshot below?
Yes thanks my sister

1 Like

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by Igboid: 12:21am On Jan 15, 2022
RedboneSmith:

You have been saying this on NL for a while now, but each time you are asked to present the evidence you go cold. Please, give us a direct quote from Landolphe's diary where he said Igbo slaves were displayed on the road between Benin and Ughoton. Don't ignore this request, please [even though you'll most likely ignore]. Post Landolphe's statement to this effect.

PS: I should inform you that I have access to Landolphe's "Memoires" in the original language (French), so if you bring a fake quote, I will find out.

You know the Igboid he meant there are the same Ika and Ukwuani people who suffer from Stockholm syndrome.
The same Ukwuani and Ika people the Binis will accept their ridiculous claims that they were Bini descendants when accepting such claims serves Bini Agenda.
But other times that it doesn't, like in this thread. The Binis call them Bini slaves.

Lol! grin

You can't blame Binis. The joke is on Ika and Ukwuani people suffering from identity crisis who gave them that loophole.

2 Likes

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by TAO11(f): 1:04am On Jan 15, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Yes thanks my sister
You may SAVE it to your phone, and then attach it to your own comment directly.

So that your comment is continuous, non-disjointed, and easy to follow by your readers.

4 Likes

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by AreaFada2: 2:40am On Jan 16, 2022
RedboneSmith:

PS: I should inform you that I have access to Landolphe's "Memoires" in the original language (French), s[b]o if you bring a fake quote, I will find out. [/b]
Oh, see who wants to impress me with French language. I laugh. grin grin

It's like you know that your post deserves to be ignored. But I thought that having a chuckle is quite nice. grin cheesy cheesy

Well, you may want to first ask Asari Dokubo (I'm not a fan of the guy) why he said that Igbo were Ijaw's slaves.

Is your argument actually that Igboid people were not part of Benin Empire, that Igboid people were not sold wholesale during slave trade or that OLaudah Equiano lied? shocked shocked

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by TAO11(f): 4:19am On Jan 16, 2022
AreaFada2:
[s]In his diary, during his journey between Benin City and Gwatto (Ughoton) port, of the 100 or so slaves displayed along the roadside for sale, the slaves and the traders were majorly Igboid and Yoruboid subjects.[/s]
We’re actually waiting on you to provide evidence for your specific statement here.

While waiting, please enjoy the testimonies below from your own people. Yes, your Edo people were enslaved by Yorubas, et al.

Cc: SirNewtonNG

Reference: R.E. Bradbury, “The Benin Kingdom and the Edo-Speaking Peoples of South-Western Nigeria,” ‘57.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by TAO11(f): 5:21am On Jan 16, 2022
You want facts, yet you type your imaginations. Lol cheesy

Anyway, see facts in my comment above; even though facts are naturally far from your comments.

Jameseddi1:
[s]Come with fact this was documented as where all slaves in Nigeria was bought[/s]

As per your moronic screenshot, you seem retarded to me. And I’m being honest.

A 21st century person like you grabbed his computer and painted a few places; and even painted your small Benin over Yorubaland and beyond.

And that has suddenly transformed into a historical material worthy of landing on Nairaland to help your fellow small-Binis have something to masturbate with.

Whoever gave you Binis this inferiority complex will not know peace.

Iseee.
————
Check out the map below from another 21st century individual like yourself

Cheers.

16 Likes

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by RedboneSmith(m): 6:49am On Jan 16, 2022
AreaFada2:

It's like you know that your post deserves to be ignored. But I thought that having a chuckle is quite nice. grin cheesy cheesy

Well, you may want to first ask Asari Dokubo (I'm not a fan of the guy) why he said that Igbo were Ijaw's slaves.

Is your argument actually that Igboid people were not part of Benin Empire, that Igboid people were not sold wholesale during slave trade or that OLaudah Equiano lied? shocked shocked

This your comment is very deflective, but it is very much in character with you. grin

My request is very simple: Can we please see where Landolphe wrote what you've been saying he wrote. This shouldn't be hard, considering that Landolphe's book is available online.

But of course you and I know he didn't write that. We both know you pulled that claim straight out of your ass, otherwise you would have provided it, instead of this rambling response you gave me. It would have been better if you had ignored. At least that way, you save a little face.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nri, Benin Kingdom And The Oyo Empire Which Was The Most Powerful by RedboneSmith(m): 7:01am On Jan 16, 2022
AreaFada2:

PS: I actually thought you were smarter and better-educated than the likes of Gregyboy and Samuk, but this response illustrates very clearly that all of you are connected to the same mother brain, because what is this off-point nonsense? grin grin

Provide the quote from Landolphe, and you went off and started ranting about Asari Dokubo and Ijaw having Igbo slaves, and Olaudah Equiano. What is the connection with the request made? Is Asari Landolphe? Are Ijaws the people of Benin and Ughoton?

Like I already said, it would have been better for you if you had just ignored and saved some face.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can Any Nigerian Man Look Like This Man (Pics Included) / Yorubas Lets Share Our Lineage Praises Here / What Were Yorubas Called Before The 19th Century?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.