Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? (720 Views)

Flat Breast Is A Real Thing: My Experience / Please Help Me, My Boyfriend Is Toxic / What Exactly Is TOXIC MASCULINITY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by JayCynic(m): 12:08pm On Oct 06, 2020
Lately I've come across a shit ton of articles by feminists on toxic masculinty, I really don't get the ideology as it is vague and ambiguous. As an open-minded person, I'd like to honestly learn more about it. I hope the feminists in the house can help out
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by MrTAnonymous(m): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2020
Thebosstrevor knows more about this undecided

Incase you don't know na me talk
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by pion: 2:18pm On Oct 06, 2020
Toxic masculinity refers to traditional cultural masculine norms that can be harmful to men, women, and society overall; this concept of toxic masculinity is not intended to demonize men or male attributes, but rather to emphasize the harmful effects of conformity to certain traditional masculine ideal behaviors such as dominance, self-reliance, and competition.
Toxic masculinity is thus defined by adherence to traditional male gender roles that consequently stigmatize and limit the emotions boys and men may comfortably express while elevating other emotions such as anger. It is marked by economic, political, and social expectations that men seek and achieve dominance (the "alpha male"wink.

Toxic masculinity manifests as in risk-taking, violence, dominance, primacy of work, need for emotional control, desire to win, and pursuit of social status, and men with these attributes tend to experience psychological problems such as depression, stress, body image problems, substance abuse and poor social functioning.The effect tends to be stronger in men who also emphasize "toxic" masculine norms, such as self-reliance, seeking power over women, and sexual promiscuity or "playboy" behavior.

1 Like

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2020
Toxic masculinity is real, just like Racism.
You won't understand if you don't experience it.
My opinion doesn't stop me from being a misogynist.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Hintona(f): 3:47pm On Oct 06, 2020
Example of toxic masculinity are those incredibly stupid Redpillers
*shakes head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by CosmicPhoenix: 3:55pm On Oct 06, 2020
toxic masculinity is a term formed by the western media and feminists as a way to emasculate men.

1 Like

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by ahmEenu(m): 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2020
toxic masculinity is same as feminism.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by CosmicPhoenix: 3:58pm On Oct 06, 2020
stop reading stupid articles by feminists.

JayCynic:
Lately I've come across a shit ton of articles by feminists on toxic masculinty, I really don't get the ideology as it is vague and ambiguous. As an open-minded person, I'd like to honestly learn more about it. I hope the feminists in the house can help out
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Karleb(m): 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
The term is relative.

If you're jobless and you tell a medical doctor she's hot, that's toxic masculinity.

If you are Chris Brown and you do same, that's just flirting.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2020
Hintona:
Example of toxic masculinity are those incredibly stupid Redpillers

*shakes head

Go and marry your fairytale white skinned man and leave the redpillers in peace.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by JayCynic(m): 10:38pm On Oct 06, 2020
pion:
Toxic masculinity refers to traditional cultural masculine norms that can be harmful to men, women, and society overall; this concept of toxic masculinity is not intended to demonize men or male attributes, but rather to emphasize the harmful effects of conformity to certain traditional masculine ideal behaviors such as dominance, self-reliance, and competition.
Toxic masculinity is thus defined by adherence to traditional male gender roles that consequently stigmatize and limit the emotions boys and men may comfortably express while elevating other emotions such as anger. It is marked by economic, political, and social expectations that men seek and achieve dominance (the "alpha male"wink.

Toxic masculinity manifests as in risk-taking, violence, dominance, primacy of work, need for emotional control, desire to win, and pursuit of social status, and men with these attributes tend to experience psychological problems such as depression, stress, body image problems, substance abuse and poor social functioning.The effect tends to be stronger in men who also emphasize "toxic" masculine norms, such as self-reliance, seeking power over women, and sexual promiscuity or "playboy" behavior.

Emotional control, risk-taking, dominance, primacy of work, pursuit of social status etc Basically everything you listed in your second paragraph are things that IMO everyone should desire, and everyone should strive towards. I don't see anything wrong or toxic in that.

1 Like

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by JayCynic(m): 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2020
pion:
The effect tends to be stronger in men who also emphasize "toxic" masculine norms, such as self-reliance, seeking power over women, and sexual promiscuity or "playboy" behavior.

Isn't this the exact same thing that Feminism postulates? Self-reliance (strong and independent woman) sexual promiscuity disguised as sexual freedom.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Hintona(f): 12:16am On Oct 07, 2020
Robert1da:

Go and marry your fairytale white skinned man and leave the redpillers in peace.

I'll marry a man who will be a simp for me whether blue, yellow, black, white or orange nonsense.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Nobody: 12:31am On Oct 07, 2020
Hintona:

I'll marry a man who will be a simp for me whether blue, yellow, black, white or orange nonsense.

You're still in your teens so worry not. There'll always be a SIMP in shining armour to rescue you. And he'll still come on NL to complain about how he gives you everything but you still hoe around. And you'll find another simp and the cycle will continue until when you're old enough to realize you can't be hoeing around anymore.
And finally you'll settle for the biggest SIMP of all, probably birth a couple of SIMPsons and the cycle still continues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Hintona(f): 12:38am On Oct 07, 2020
Robert1da:

You're still in your teens so worry not. There'll always be a SIMP in shining armour to rescue you. And he'll still come on NL to complain about how he gives you everything but you still hoe around. And you'll find another simp and the cycle will continue until when you're old enough to realize you can't be hoeing around anymore.
And finally you'll settle for the biggest SIMP of all, probably birth a couple of SIMPsons and the cycle still continues.

Wow I'll have my very own SIMPDOM can't wait very excited grin
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 07, 2020
Hintona:

Trust me, it's very exciting.
Re: Is Toxic Masculinity A Real Thing? by FreestyleG: 11:20am On Oct 07, 2020
Hintona:

Stupid gyal grin

(1) (Reply)

Should I Accept Her Back / Is It Okay For A 21 Years old To Live Alone? / I Think I'm Gonna Die Virgin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.