Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,625 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

#ENDSARS Protest May Fail To Yield The Expected Results - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #ENDSARS Protest May Fail To Yield The Expected Results (315 Views)

NASS Says Constitution Amendments May Fail, Blames States / How EndSARS Protest May Shape Outcome Of 2023 Presidential Election / Why Buhari, Atiku May Fail — Fr. Mbaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#ENDSARS Protest May Fail To Yield The Expected Results by NobleDeSage001: 5:02am On Oct 19, 2020
It is well over 2 weeks since Nigerian youths took to the streets across different Nigerian cities to protest against the criminality of the purported defunct SARS and police brutality that had gone on without caution for so many years. The police IG said SARS has scrapped but then, there have been news of SARS arresting and dragging people out of their house in Lagos even after they had been disbanded.

Nevertheless, the protests to #ENDSARS had gathered much momentun in the last 1 week reaching a global scale with Nigerians protesting across major cities around the world. Some notable global figures and celebrities have equally lent their voices in support of the Nigerian youths to call for an end to the impunity of the Nigerian police against its innocent citizens. Some popular global news and media houses have equally reported the developments after Nigerians called them about their silence towards the #ENDSARS protests.
Aljazeera: http://vismuene.com/4ANv
CNN: http://vismuene.com/4AQy
New York Times: http://vismuene.com/4ASX

Meanwhile, since the protests started, the President Buhari led government has virtually done nothing to appease the rampaging youths apart from the quick scrapping of SARS and the sudden replacement with SWAT. Expectedly, Nigerians have equally kicked against the formation of of SWAT as replacement to SARS. The move by the IG of police is just like someone who sold his over grown baboon and bought a new macaque. Nothing has changed because both are still of the same class. It is just a matter of time, SWAT will turn into a monster.

The agitation to #ENDSARS is one of the numerous problems that the youths are venting their frustration about. So much more lie beneath the agitations. For the #ENDSARS protest to yield the expected results, the protest demands need to be well articulated and presented to the government. Then, the demends need to be followed up and sustained until all are met. To my amazement, I read a report where Alhaji Lai Mohammed said that all the demands have been met: http://vismuene.com/49Rp
I have been wondering what and what has the government done to meet the demands.

With such claims as made by Alhaji Lai, I am afraid the government may simply pull back and relax without giving Nigerians what they are demanding or at best deploy the military which they have dubiously termed operation crocodile smile. In my opinion, we have succeeded in getting the attention of the government and perhaps the world, but the demends are yet to be achieved.

With the #ENDASRS protest, Nigerians are demanding among other things:
*Police wholistic reforms
*Stop police brutality
*Stop police sexual harrasment of our women and young girls
*Better remuneration for the police
*Institution of a disciplinary unit to sanction erring members of the police
*Training and re-training of all members of the police force especially on how to engage the citizens.
*Bail
*Timely charging of cases to court and so on.
*Extortion of every kind
*Unreasonable stop and search to collect 'roja, egunje' etc.
The list is much and I can go on and on. In my opinion, the least ranked police officers should earn at least #200,000 monthly which must be upwardly reviewed through the years. If this particular one is not done, please forget whatever the government said they have done.

So far, I do not think that the protests have yielded the expected results and until these noted concerns are addressed, Nigerian youths may have failed in holding the government accountable to reform the police force. The struggle needs to be sustained or better still, the strategy and approach need to be changed.
I have read that some protesters have turned it into a carnival of some sort and people are coming out to party. The protest goals should securly sustained and not derailed.
#ENDSARS
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

Re: #ENDSARS Protest May Fail To Yield The Expected Results by princeade86(m): 6:40am On Oct 19, 2020
NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(video): Chaos As Soldiers Descend On Lekki Toll Gate Protesters / Is This True About Buhari? / Endsars Protest; The Story Behind The Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.