Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,857 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Urgent Answers Needed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urgent Answers Needed (4216 Views)

Hypothetical Scenario: Intelligent Answers Needed / Political Mathematics; Answers Needed / To: OnlyNONtruth, Ded1: Why Do Ibos Have A Death Wish? Thanatos? Answers Needed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 4:56am On Mar 09, 2011
Who was the first Ph.D. degree holder in Nigeria? In what field was the Ph.D. obtained?
Who was the first Ph.D. degree holder in Mathematics in Nigeria?
Who was the first medical Doctor in Nigeria?

Thank you for your FACTUAL, VERIFIABLE response.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 5:06am On Mar 09, 2011
The first medical doctor was from ABEOKUTA. He is Nathaniel. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_first_Nigerian_medical_Doctor
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by AljUche: 5:08am On Mar 09, 2011
first nigerian medical doctor

The first Nigerian medical Doctor is Nathaniel King. In 1861, a medical missionary to Nigeria, Dr A.A. Harrison of the church missionary society (CMS) selected four cleverest boys in Abeokuta to train them as Assistant doctors. Only one of them, Nathaniel King graduated, and became personal assistant to Dr Harrison. In 1866, Nathaniel king was sent to Sierra Leone where he studied the preliminaries of medicine under Dr. Bradshaw of the Colonial Hospital, Freetown. King later went to England where he graduated as a doctor in 1874; thus becoming the first Nigerian qualified Medical Doctor. He returned to Lagos to serve the CMS on a salary of 50 pounds sterling a year.

first maths phd

Grace Lele Williams became the first Nigerian woman to earn any doctorate when she got her Ph.D. in Mathematics (University of Chicago).
race Alele Williams received her education at Queens College in Lagos, University College at Ibadan, and the University of Vermont, before receiving a Ph.D. in mathematics education from the University of Chicago in 1963. She made history as the first Nigerian woman to be awarded a doctorate. She returned to Nigeria for a couple of years' postdoctoral work at the University of Ibadan before joining the faculty of the University of Lagos in 1965.

Dr. Williams' ongoing interest in mathematics education was originally sparked by her stay in the US, which coincided with the Sputnik phenomenon. Working with the African Mathematics Program in Newton, Massachusetts, under the leadership of MIT professor Ted Martins, she participated in mathematics workshops held in various African cities from 1963 to 1975. Highlights included writing texts and correspondence courses covering basic concepts in mathematics, working in concert with leading mathematicians and educators. She taught at the University of Lagos from 1965 to 1985, and spent a decade directing the Institute of Education, which introduced innovative non degree programmes, with many of the certificate recipients older women working as elementary school teachers.

Appointed the first female Vice Chancellor of a Nigerian university in 1985, Professor Williams believes her appointment at the University of Benin, which ended in 1992, was a test case to demonstrate a women's executive capability. She is now Professor of Mathematics Education at the University of Lagos. Among her honors are those of Fellow of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria and of the Nigerian Academy of Education; Merit Award Winner of Bendel State in Nigeria; and Regional Vice President for Africa of the Third World Organization for Women in Science" (Science in Africa: Women Leading from Strength AAAS, Washington, 1993, p.174). It may be added that Professor Williams is also the Chairwoman of AMUCWMA, the African Mathematical Union Commission for Women in Mathematics.

DR. Grace Alele Williams is also a Vice President and member of the Executive board of The Third World Organization for Women in Science (TWOWS).

first phd holder in nigeria

Dr Joseph Olusola Akinyede, born (1952) and living in Nigeria, is a very special man: he is ITC’s first PhD student ever. “ITC is one of the best education institutions in the world,” he immediately replies to my question concerning his considerations on continuing education at ITC. “It was a great privilege. ITC is unique.”
Joseph got the opportunity to conduct research at ITC through a four-year scholarship granted by the European Economic Community (EEC) in 1986. A year earlier, an EEC scholarship had enabled him to follow a postgraduate course in applied geological survey − also at ITC. In February 1990, Joseph received a PhD degree for his thesis Highway Cost Modelling and Route Selection Using a Geotechnical Information System from Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands. ”My PhD research equipped me with the skills to independently understand a problem and quickly define ways of solution,” says Joseph. “Let me give you a recent example. The Fulani people move their cattle from the north of Nigeria to the south in the dry season, and in the reverse direction when the rainy season comes. Their movements cause friction with the settled farmers. Who is causing the problem: the nomads or the farmers? To answer that question, I recommended mapping the Fulani track routes from satellite images captured over the last 20 years. Using GIS technology, changes over time can be identified and also the areas of infringement. The study has been approved and is ongoing.”

http://www.itc.nl/Pub/alumni/Interviews_and_testimonials/Interview_with_alumnus_Dr_Joseph_Akinyede.html
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 5:21am On Mar 09, 2011
Yeepa YORUBA don carry every award wey dey ground o. Ibo man start am he no feel stand am again. You don carry load wey big past your weight today. Nigerian First PHd holder in Agriculture is YORUBA again o. Abeg check her name yourself o http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/36046/1/When-the-first-Nigerian-female-PhD-holder-in-Agric-went-home/Page1.html
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Udevex: 5:22am On Mar 09, 2011
^
Alele Williams is not Yoruba.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 5:30am On Mar 09, 2011
Alj Uche:

first nigerian medical doctor

The first Nigerian medical Doctor is Nathaniel King. In 1861, a medical missionary to Nigeria, Dr A.A. Harrison of the church missionary society (CMS) selected four cleverest boys in Abeokuta to train them as Assistant doctors. Only one of them, Nathaniel King graduated, and became personal assistant to Dr Harrison. In 1866, Nathaniel king was sent to Sierra Leone where he studied the preliminaries of medicine under Dr. Bradshaw of the Colonial Hospital, Freetown. King later went to England where he graduated as a doctor in 1874; thus becoming the first Nigerian qualified Medical Doctor. He returned to Lagos to serve the CMS on a salary of 50 pounds sterling a year.

first maths phd

Grace Lele Williams became the first Nigerian woman to earn any doctorate when she got her Ph.D. in Mathematics (University of Chicago).
race Alele Williams received her education at Queens College in Lagos, University College at Ibadan, and the University of Vermont, before receiving a Ph.D. in mathematics education from the University of Chicago in 1963. She made history as the first Nigerian woman to be awarded a doctorate. She returned to Nigeria for a couple of years' postdoctoral work at the University of Ibadan before joining the faculty of the University of Lagos in 1965.

Dr. Williams' ongoing interest in mathematics education was originally sparked by her stay in the US, which coincided with the Sputnik phenomenon. Working with the African Mathematics Program in Newton, Massachusetts, under the leadership of MIT professor Ted Martins, she participated in mathematics workshops held in various African cities from 1963 to 1975. Highlights included writing texts and correspondence courses covering basic concepts in mathematics, working in concert with leading mathematicians and educators. She taught at the University of Lagos from 1965 to 1985, and spent a decade directing the Institute of Education, which introduced innovative non degree programmes, with many of the certificate recipients older women working as elementary school teachers.

Appointed the first female Vice Chancellor of a Nigerian university in 1985, Professor Williams believes her appointment at the University of Benin, which ended in 1992, was a test case to demonstrate a women's executive capability. She is now Professor of Mathematics Education at the University of Lagos. Among her honors are those of Fellow of the Mathematical Association of Nigeria and of the Nigerian Academy of Education; Merit Award Winner of Bendel State in Nigeria; and Regional Vice President for Africa of the Third World Organization for Women in Science" (Science in Africa: Women Leading from Strength AAAS, Washington, 1993, p.174). It may be added that Professor Williams is also the Chairwoman of AMUCWMA, the African Mathematical Union Commission for Women in Mathematics.

DR. Grace Alele Williams is also a Vice President and member of the Executive board of The Third World Organization for Women in Science (TWOWS).

first phd holder in nigeria

Dr Joseph Olusola Akinyede, born (1952) and living in Nigeria, is a very special man: he is ITC’s first PhD student ever. “ITC is one of the best education institutions in the world,” he immediately replies to my question concerning his considerations on continuing education at ITC. “It was a great privilege. ITC is unique.”
Joseph got the opportunity to conduct research at ITC through a four-year scholarship granted by the European Economic Community (EEC) in 1986. A year earlier, an EEC scholarship had enabled him to follow a postgraduate course in applied geological survey − also at ITC. In February 1990, Joseph received a PhD degree for his thesis Highway Cost Modelling and Route Selection Using a Geotechnical Information System from Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands. ”My PhD research equipped me with the skills to independently understand a problem and quickly define ways of solution,” says Joseph. “Let me give you a recent example. The Fulani people move their cattle from the north of Nigeria to the south in the dry season, and in the reverse direction when the rainy season comes. Their movements cause friction with the settled farmers. Who is causing the problem: the nomads or the farmers? To answer that question, I recommended mapping the Fulani track routes from satellite images captured over the last 20 years. Using GIS technology, changes over time can be identified and also the areas of infringement. The study has been approved and is ongoing.”

http://www.itc.nl/Pub/alumni/Interviews_and_testimonials/Interview_with_alumnus_Dr_Joseph_Akinyede.html

Thanks, but did Alele earn her PhD in maths before Chike Obi? Not sure about that

Dr Joseph Olusola Akinyede, born (1952)[/b
But how can somebody born in 1952 be the first to earn a PhD?
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 5:34am On Mar 09, 2011
Chike Obi, PhD 1950 (b. April 17, 1921, in Zaria, Northern Nigeria, d. March 13, 2008) was a Nigerian politician, mathematician and writer.

The African Mathematics Union suggests that he is the first sub-Saharan African to hold a doctorate in mathematics.

Obi is the author of several books and journals on mathematics and Nigerian politics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chike_Obi
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 5:49am On Mar 09, 2011
U de vex?:

^
Alele Williams is not Yoruba.
Na lie go kill you. Abeg roll out the tanks. Let the battle begins. Alele williams is YORUBA mr man. Refreshing to prove me wrong
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 5:52am On Mar 09, 2011
^^^^^^
http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/williams.htm
Please no misinformation here. Alele Williams is either ishekiri or Urhobo. She is not Yoruba. Unless you imply a geneological relationship between Yoruba and one or both of those Delta ethnic groups.
By the way, she is not the first PhD holder in maths in Nigeria. She is likely the first female though.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 5:58am On Mar 09, 2011
Eni Njoku (first VC of UNN), PhD, 1954

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eni_Njoku
Lets gather as much as the pioneer PhDs as we can, and from there determine who came first
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 6:04am On Mar 09, 2011
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 6:06am On Mar 09, 2011
Ramnon.2:

^^^^^^
Please no misinformation here. Alele Williams is either ishekiri or Urhobo. She is not Yoruba. Unless you imply a geneological relationship between Yoruba and one or both of those Delta ethnic groups.
By the way, she is not the first PhD holder in maths in Nigeria. She is likely the first female though.
alele williams is YORUBA. Stop lying.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 6:08am On Mar 09, 2011
^^^^
You are free to claim her if you wish, but please prove first that she is indeed Yoruba
Like I said, Alele has no place in the questions I posed. She is not the first in any of my queries.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Udevex: 6:25am On Mar 09, 2011
Ramnon.2:

^^^^^^

You are right, she is from Delta state and Itsekiri / Urhobo.

"We are still waiting for Governor Uduaghan to name either Delta State University, Abraka; College of Education, Warri or State Hospital, Oghara after Prof. Grace Alele-Williams, the manner Governor Rotimi Amaechi named the State Hospital after Justice Karibi-Whyte (rtd), an Ijaw, while he is still alive."

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/01/ijaw-hail-uduaghan-on-award-mourn-williams/
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 6:28am On Mar 09, 2011
I provided a link asserting her as the First Nigeria's PH.d holder. If you have any link to counter that Abeg provide it. We are all learning everyday
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 6:36am On Mar 09, 2011
U de vex?:

You are right, she is from Delta state and Itsekiri / Urhobo.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/01/ijaw-hail-uduaghan-on-award-mourn-williams/
How is that possible? She was born in YORUBA lady my friend. Provide a link or shut up. YORUBAS were the first to use williams as surname.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Udevex: 6:40am On Mar 09, 2011
seanet02:

How is that possible? She was born in YORUBA lady my friend. Provide a link or shut up. YORUBAS were the first to use williams as surname.

You should be the one to provide a link or shut up.
She is from Warri, was born in Warri, started her schooling in Warri and grew up there.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Afam4eva(m): 6:47am On Mar 09, 2011
This seanet dumb sha.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 6:50am On Mar 09, 2011
seanet02:

I provided a link asserting her as the First Nigeria's PH.d holder. If you have any link to counter that Abeg provide it. We are all learning everyday

She is the first Nigerian to obtain a PhD? Or she is the first Nigerian woman to do so? What the bleep? Are you for real? Have you read my posts up there?

Seanet02 = Alj Uche
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 7:04am On Mar 09, 2011
afam4eva:

This seanet dumb sha.
Abi ori e yi?
U de vex?:

You should be the one to provide a link or shut up.
She is from Warri, was born in Warri, started her schooling in Warri and grew up there.
Na lie go kill you. Somebody went to queens school you are here spewing garbage. Did you followed my link on her? If you did and can still not grasp the easiest of simple sentences then you are a Dumbo.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by ezeagu(m): 7:19am On Mar 09, 2011
seanet02:

Yeepa YORUBA don carry every award wey dey ground o. Ibo man start am he no feel stand am again. You don carry load wey big past your weight today.  Nigerian First PHd holder in Agriculture  is YORUBA again o.  Abeg check her name yourself o  http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/36046/1/When-the-first-Nigerian-female-PhD-holder-in-Agric-went-home/Page1.html

Faaaaahhhhhhh it feels horrible being Igbo.  angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Udevex: 7:22am On Mar 09, 2011
seanet02:

Abi ori e yi? Na lie go kill you. Somebody went to queens school you are here spewing garbage. Did you followed my link on her? If you did and can still not grasp the easiest of simple sentences then you are a Dumbo.

Abeg, I don't have time to argue about things even little kids know. Alele Williams is from Warri. Period.

seanet02:

So, Williams is a Yoruba name too?  grin grin grin
You're one hell of a funny guy, that really made me laugh!
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by ezeagu(m): 7:29am On Mar 09, 2011
U de vex?:

Abeg, I don't have time to argue about things little even kids know. Alele Williams is from Warri. Period.

So, Williams is a Yoruba name too?  grin grin grin
You're one hell of a funny guy, that really made me laugh!

Yorubas hater.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by PhysicsRND(m): 10:21pm On Mar 09, 2011
On a related note, the first Nigerian graduate seems to have been an Itsekiri.

"The Itsekiri king Olu Antonio Dom Domingo a 17th century graduate of Coimbra University in Portugal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itsekiri

I'll have to look into this and verify it.

If true, then the Itsekiri produced the first Nigerian graduate and the first Nigerian woman to obtain a Ph.D (Grace Alele Williams).

@ U de vex?

Itsekiri are sometimes considered Yoruba.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by ezeagu(m): 10:37pm On Mar 09, 2011
The first Nigerian graduate is probably from the North. . . .
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by PhysicsRND(m): 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2011
ezeagu:

The first Nigerian graduate is probably from the North. . . .

What university?

Remember, this is a 17th century date (1643).

So unless we can find Kanuri or Fulani who had graduated at that time from a Sahelian or North African university, the Itsekiri would be earlier.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by ezeagu(m): 11:05pm On Mar 09, 2011
I believe the first graduate would be from the north.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:24pm On Mar 09, 2011
?
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 5:04am On Mar 10, 2011
PhysicsRND:

"The Itsekiri king Olu Antonio Dom Domingo a 17th century graduate of Coimbra University in Portugal"

If true, then the Itsekiri produced the first Nigerian graduate and the first Nigerian woman to obtain a Ph.D (Grace Alele Williams).

@ U de vex?

Re: Urgent Answers Needed by seanet02: 5:06am On Mar 10, 2011
PhysicsRND:

@ U de vex?

Itshekri are YORUBAS and therefore the woman is a YORUBA.
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Udevex: 5:12am On Mar 10, 2011
seanet02:

Itshekri are YORUBAS and therefore the woman is a YORUBA.

Itsekiri's do not call themselves Yoruba, its only a few ill-informed, expansionist Yoruba's that do so (in fact, to that type, everybody in Delta state is Yoruba). lol
Re: Urgent Answers Needed by Ramnon2: 5:21am On Mar 10, 2011
PhysicsRND:

What university?

Remember, this is a 17th century date (1643).

So unless we can find Kanuri or Fulani who had graduated at that time from a Sahelian or North African university, the Itsekiri would be earlier.

Is he a black person or a white Portuguese who colonized itsekiris?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Officer Groping Woman In Public::::::::::::::::::::::::::pix / Proposed Obuaku Seaport In Abia Will Open Up Igboland To International Trade. / Cameroonian Separatist Group Throws Weight Behind Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.