Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,966 members, 7,821,392 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Challenging The Skeptics - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Challenging The Skeptics (6332 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 10:57am On Apr 07, 2011
• People find a way to talk to a dumb dog. But ! The animal has no idea that you are talking to it. It is responsive in accordance with the primordial Cause that designed it.   Communication exists only where there is a level of intelligence.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2011
• I find it extremely hard to IMAGINE that one is excused from a crime for being mad and one is punished for a crime for pleading guilty *How is this better than The Superman who decides that the guilty (but repentant) can be spared; and an innocent man when shown guilty is damned to prison*

KEEP IN MIND THE BASIS OF LEGAL CODE WORLDWIDE - Innocent until presumed guilty
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:02am On Apr 07, 2011
• I was arguing with someone on a discussion forum, over the concept of free-thinking and a person made an interesting point. I did not realize the import of what he/she said until months later. Here's what the person said

This was what I was trying to demonstrate. There is a necessity of function that applies to humans that is outside of freewill and thus not considered to affect or negate freewill. That was what I was demonstrating in my post there

Typical example of how an atheist mentions God without realizing it - God (in the context of his statement) is that necessity of function. 

thehomer, could you enlighten me as to what is the origin of this necessity of function and its attributes ?"
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:04am On Apr 07, 2011
• I have decided that if one accuses me of grandiloquence then the speech/writings of the likes of Shakespeare, John Dunne and Dante should be dismissed as the empty "ah gooh gooh goohs"'of a 3 month old baby - I wonder why people appreciate that as well
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:05am On Apr 07, 2011
• Symbiogenesis is what drives that adaptation of species to harsh conditions. I propose a method by which evolutionists can propagate their theory - a vital symbiosis of meaning. It involves the merging if two (APPARENTLY) antagonistic fields I call it INTELLIGENT EVOLUTION

[Copyright - This term is the intellectual property of a young man whose name is Iredia and whose surname is akin to the pronunciation of the word "penis" in Russian]
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:06am On Apr 07, 2011
• B4 a doctor gives me a prescription ask for what reason he is giving me, why he is giving me, why he is giving me at that point in time, I bug myself over the doctor's sex, I worry that the pharmaceuticals got some details wrong. 

I fear that the doctor mistakenly injects me with poison. I decide therefore that there is no use for a doctor. Clap for me as I take a bold step towards death - or maybe the doctor was mistaken and I can dismiss him as being a quack
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:08am On Apr 07, 2011
• A priest was baptizing a baby - unfortunately the baby drowned. This was posted on RDFRS. No matter how I tried, I was not able to get the unigots there to AGREE that, this was no different from an ACCIDENT when a mother bathes her nursing infant - you (yes you!) can't deny that this is feasible. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I never quoted the scripture once nor did anything to IMPLY I was theist. Somehow because I argued for the priest their comments of course took the mean edge that is noticed in heated debates. 

All their opposing arguments IMHO were rationalization for their bias - Do think about this (my claim of their bias which I am as well guilty of) as objectively as possible.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:11am On Apr 07, 2011
• Uyi's new proposal to the science world on testing the feasibility of information (consciousness) outside the realms of that which is material: I submit to all relevant neurologists to check the pattern of babies learning a language and adults learning a new activities. The statistical distribution of brain wave activity will remain the same. I wish I could work on a final-year project along those lines (but I won't got the luxury)

CAVEAT: THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC WHITE PAPER !!! DO NOT ADDRESS IT AS SUCH !
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:12am On Apr 07, 2011
• A new (scientific) definition of the words - living soul - a mutating idea that evolves and replicates via systems preestablished by a mind necessarily existent outside of time
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:13am On Apr 07, 2011
• I am tired of all the words atheists invent for God with the intent of mockery; why don't they decode that God as a doG is still widely acknowledged as man's best friend - or are atheists scared of rabies !?
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:14am On Apr 07, 2011
• You do not prove an idea. If you think this way I can never prove to you that God exists
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:15am On Apr 07, 2011
• You do not have to fully understand a system b4 you take advantage it. That much will be easily accepted by most people regardless of their religious or irreligious stance. The problem comes when I tell an irreligionist that you do not need to understand the Bible to believe it. The walls begin to come up - every revolution in historical thought starts as blasphemy
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2011
• I find it ironic. Wait guys ! Is this me or my imagination. There are people who doubt the existence of the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob the fathers of faith and yet nobody here can guess that the (presumed) patriarchs of logic (in contemporary culture) are Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. - I leave the remaining inferences to you.

NOTE - I find it necessary here to point out what I was taught in elementary philosophy. I PRAY THAT SOMEONE COMES TO FALSIFY IT. As far as I know there is no concrete evidence for Socrates. The only piece of evidence for Socrates is some (dirty) manuscript that was written by his student Plato. This was about 499 B. C and people still beleive this guy exists !
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:20am On Apr 07, 2011
• Perry Marshall argues that DNA is a code. TalkOrigins  refutes this claim by initially stating that: "DNA Is more like a cipher, " 

my skeptic mind asks: What is a cipher ? Who does the deciphering and enciphering ? Why (reasons) deciphering is done ? Other skeptics minds assume the cipher !? undecided
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by aribisala0(m): 12:46pm On Apr 07, 2011
mr uyi talking to your self is dangerous.
for me there are two issues .
is there a god.
what is the nature of god
so even if for argument sake we agree that there is a god what justification is there for one characterization over another
e.g the anthropomorphism or capriciousness of this god. or god is good(as opposed to evil) etc.

you appear to want to advance your position by reasoning but it is doubtful that you can say anything that has not been said before in the hundreds of years that this discussion has been going on.

for me this is just another attention seeking thread
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2011
aribisala0:

mr uyi talking to your self is dangerous.
for me there are two issues .
is there a god.
what is the nature of god
so even if for argument sake we agree that there is a god what justification is there for one characterization over another
e.g the anthropomorphism or capriciousness of this god. or god is good(as opposed to evil) etc.

you appear to want to advance your position by reasoning but it is doubtful that you can say anything that has not been said before in the hundreds of years that this discussion has been going on.

for me this is just another attention seeking thread

Christian God encourages reasoning (Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding)

Attention-seeking thread it is then grin

Uyi Iredia:

• People find a way to talk to a dumb dog. But ! The animal has no idea that you are talking to it. It is responsive in accordance with the primordial Cause that designed it.   Communication exists only where there is a level of intelligence.

I am assuming you mean to say that at a base-biological level every human possesses the need/interest to seek God which can be in other forms of spirituality yet the goal remains the same. seek God. much the same way one can say because I am hungry then there is a need for food which must exists because it fulfills that need.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by Kay17: 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2011
*1 >>> I see Undecided >>> That's something you want to doctor me to believe >>> you are the proverbial simpleton
I would advise you to read 7 wise quotes from The Bible (Prov 4:7, Prov 14:33, Prov 24:7, Eccl 7:19, Eccl 7:11, Eccl 9:18, Prov 17:24)

*2 >>> then ask neurosurgeons how they can tamper with people's brains (or cut them in half) without people getting 'split personalities' Cheesy >>> I think I've even read of a person getting 3 quarters of his brain chopped off and he was still behaving normally >>> also ask doctors how people's thought processes remain constant during sleep or coma >>> when they are clearly unconscious (of their environs)

*3 >>> meaning something and saying nothing useful
Don't worry keep the Bible, i've had enough junk for a lifetime.

There are portions of the brain responsible for different functions, cutting the pons bridge will deny the subject sleep. The portion for thought and consciousness if destroyed would create a vegetable. The medulla if destroyed then the whole brain shuts down! So without the brain no thoughts! if u find exception, pls share it.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 11:32am On Apr 08, 2011
@ Kay 17 >>> exceptions abound in Nature >>> for example, viruses exhibit intelligence and have the capacity for cognition >>> this is effectuated by their ability to replicate new strains of themselves which can survive artificial constructs DESIGNED TO eliminate them

mad people (or organisms 'acting up') should also lead you to deduce that one's brain can be in proper condition and yet that person's thoughts are disenfranchised from one's brain

finally, I advice you that even junk has set some humans on the path of financial prosperity >>> junk is useful and not useless (ask the bacteria which depend on your faeces and the farmer who uses compost manure to fertilise his land) >>> read those passages I forwarded to you - and dwell upon them

"$hit business is serious business"
- Otunba Gadaffi
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 2:08pm On Apr 08, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

Christian God encourages reasoning (Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding)

Attention-seeking thread it is then grin

I am assuming you mean to say that at a base-biological level every human possesses the need/interest to seek God which can be in other forms of spirituality yet the goal remains the same. seek God. much the same way one can say because I am hungry then there is a need for food which must exists because it meets that need.*2

*1 >>> It is only natural that I post attention-seeking threads >>> that way I can evaluate how much interest my thread garners >>> andyes God encourages reasoning (Isaiah 1:18), if He didn't we would have been automatons of Hos whims

*2 >>> your inferences are quite correct >>> I applaud you
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by Kay17: 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2011
A virus is intelligent as a result of reproduction? cry cry cry for you.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by Nobody: 6:07pm On Apr 08, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

@ Kay 17 >>> exceptions abound in Nature >>> for example, viruses exhibit intelligence and have the capacity for cognition >>> this is effectuated by their ability to replicate new strains of themselves which can survive artificial constructs DESIGNED TO eliminate them

This is not intelligence but simply Evolution i.e. random gene mutation coupled with natural selection. There are countless viruses whose random gene mutation failed to protect them from the immune system(natural selection mechanism). It is the virus that does achieve this feat that survives. The virus does not "think" about its DNA and change it into something else.

Uyi Iredia:

mad people (or organisms 'acting up') should also lead you to deduce that one's brain can be in proper condition and yet that person's thoughts are disenfranchised from one's brain

What exactly do you mean by this? An example would help illustrate what you mean.

Uyi Iredia:

finally, I advice you that even junk has set some humans on the path of financial prosperity >>> junk is useful and not useless (ask the bacteria which depend on your faeces and the farmer who uses compost manure to fertilise his land) >>> read those passages I forwarded to you - and dwell upon them

Yes, but as they say beware the man of one book(an quote from Aquinas himself). The path to prosperity is founded on many sources of knowledge. However, in terms of religion the focus is on limited sources which are no longer even the best sources in terms of knowledge and wisdom.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by Kay17: 8:20pm On Apr 08, 2011
@Uyi Iredia

I'm sure u know God so much, but I want u to consider of the existence of other gods which could be superior to ur god or inferior, so pls provide evidence for the existence of ur one God and his connection to Christianity.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by thehomer: 10:21pm On Apr 08, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

. . . .

Viruses are intelligent and have the capacity for cognition? Are you simply redefining words or do you mean to use the words intelligence and cognition the way they are generally used?
Please tell me, are prions intelligent with the capacity for cognition? How about crystals like those that made a procedure of stopping the Deep water horizon spill fail are they also intelligent with the capacity for cognition? Wow.
By the way, have you considered that viruses too evolve?
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:19pm On Apr 10, 2011
• To all posters

>>> If I do not reply you, it is because of time constraints >>> however, be rest assured that your words are not falling on deaf ears >>> I do not have to act in way manner agreeable to your mindset for u to believe this (i.e that I consider the truth in your posts)

I will have to keep on posting my quotes >>> and I'll reply you as my academic schedule permits. Trust me, when I say that I am not wont to run away from confrontations and debates. On the contrary, I cherish them, because it is an efficient way of learning.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:21pm On Apr 10, 2011
• Multiple inadequacies of 'common-sense' skeptical thought:
- inadequate structuring
- poor philosophical framework
- lack of a commonly grounded belief system
- lack of fiscal planning to forward their aims
- improper take on the place of science
- impromptu meetings and workshops
- lack of ubiquity
- improper regard on the macrocosm and niceties of religious thought

Lemme warn any atheist who attempts to rebut my list, on the inadequacies of the present wave skeptical thought (a.k.a New Atheism), that he/she is automatically handing me a weapon which I'll keep in my arsenal of essays against his/her flock of skeptics.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:23pm On Apr 10, 2011
• All atheists are a subset of a school of thought called skeptics. I have a pun to forward to atheists here and sundry:

"What can be believed with skepticism can be dismissed with (or without) skepticism"
- Uyi Iredia
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:25pm On Apr 10, 2011
• Atheistic thinking has long prevailed in the hearts of people. However they are the exception, just as the color, black, is an exception. Has anyone seen a torchlight that radiates black light ?
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:28pm On Apr 10, 2011
• Prove to me you have an idea without any form of material expression and you have disproved God's existence. Why do atheists follow David Hume (an ironic name) and assume that all we experience daily are nought but material impressions
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:29pm On Apr 10, 2011
• Karl Popper is widely known for his falsifiability principle (an assumed idea). Science has grown accustomed to decEVEing itself to in order that it is acknowledged as true. 

Karl Popper and his fellow positivists should realise the paradox of looking for a lie in order to acknowledge the truth of theory. They successfully deluded themselves hence they never acknowledged this (the way I have)
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:31pm On Apr 10, 2011
• I surmise that Einstein was fond of riddles. Here's why (proof) 

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a différent result" 
- Albert Einstein

ergo (thé law of obversion)

Sanity is doing a différent thing over and over again and expecting  thé same result

ergo (thé law of obversion is an appeal to authority)

Sanity = Insanity

Implications (in layman terms) people are thoughts that are limited by/to space. In overt words you are insane because you exist in space.
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 7:34pm On Apr 10, 2011
• I exist as an idea - repetez !
Re: Challenging The Skeptics by UyiIredia(m): 4:17pm On Apr 15, 2011
• When you dream you travel to heaven and realise that 
you went on a journey. The problem is you (ask)FOR (and)GET 
what the journey was like because dreams are discrete (hidden). They can never be explained in terms of space-time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Christians, Does God Answer A Muslim's Prayer? / Is It A Sin To Sleep With A Re-married Ex- Husband? / What Is Wrong With The Doctrines Of White Garment Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.