Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting (74892 Views)

Presidency Replies EU, UK And US On CJN's Suspension (Full Statement) / Buhari Speaks On Suspension Of CJN Onnoghen (Full Statement) / Obasanjo: Buhari Plans To Rig The 2019 Elections (FULL STATEMENT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Lanrelagboi: 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2020
THE #ENDSARS PROTESTS; A FUNDAMENTAL LESSON IN DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE

I heavily grieve for those who have lost their lives or been injured during the period of these protests.

2. My deepest sympathies go to their families and loved ones for none should have been made to pay such a dear price. My career as an active politician spans nearly three decades.

3. In that time, I have seen many things as Nigeria has struggled, sometimes against itself, to undertake the often painful yet inexorable push toward democratic government accountable to, and protective of, the people.

4. Here, let me directly address the sharp point aimed against me. I have been falsely accused of ordering the reported deployment of soldiers against peaceful protesters that took place at Lekki on 20 October 2020.

5. This allegation is a complete and terrible lie. I did not order this or any assault against anybody. I would never want such a vile thing to happen nor did I have any prior knowledge about this sad event.

6. It is my firm belief that no one should be harassed, injured or possibly killed for doing what they have the constitutional right to do in making their contribution to a better, more equitable society.

7. As a political figure, I am accustomed to people attributing to me all manner of indiscretions of which I have no knowledge and in which I played no role. I have usually ignored such falsities as the cost of being in the public eye.

8. This time, it is different. The allegation now levied against me is that I called on soldiers to kill my own people. This allegation is the foulest of lies.

9. The use of strong force against any peaceful protesters is indefensible, completely outside the norms of a democratic society and progressive political culture to which I aspire and have devoted my public life.

10. That people were angered by the reports of violence and death is acutely understandable.
Understandably outraged, people sought to hold someone accountable.

11. For various reasons, I became the most available scapegoat. Some people don't like me because they believe the false rumours uttered about me over the years. Some maligned my name because they hide ulterior motives & harbour unrequited political scores they intend to settle

12. A week ago, such people tried to bring enmity between me and the state and federal governments by contending I was sponsoring the protests.

13. When that did not work, they then sought to sow enmity between me and the people by saying I ordered soldiers to quash the very same protests they first accused me of organising.

14. My opponents have every right to oppose me politically but let them have the courage to do so in the open, above board and to employ facts not evil fiction in their efforts against me.

15. They have no right to slander and defame anyone with the terrible and vile fabrications now cast at my feet.

16. Those who have decided to hate me will hate me regardless of the truth. Again, they have the right to think as they may and I am not troubled by their unfounded animus. Today, I speak not to them. I leave them to the workings of their own conscience.

17. The slander aimed at me is based on the untruth that I own the toll gate concession. The hate mongers prevaricate that I ordered the Lekki assault because the protests had caused me to lose money due to the interruption of toll gate activity.

18. I ask people to thoroughly investigate the matter of my alleged ownership of the toll gate. By seeking facts, instead of being swayed by gossip, you will find I have no ownership interest or involvement in the toll gate.

19. At bottom, the toll gate is a public asset. If it is reopened, revenues should be donated to the confirmed victims of the Lekki attack as well as to other identifiable victims of police brutality in Lagos.

20. Let government use the money to compensate and take care of those who have lost life or limb in the struggle for all citizens to go about the quiet, peaceful enjoyment of life without fear of undue harassment at this or that checkpoint.

21. On the other hand, I am, indeed, a promoter and financial investor in The Nation and TVC. It was widely known and circulated through social media that certain malevolent elements were going to take advantage of the situation to attack the Nation newspaper facilities & TVC.

22. These elements, mostly hirelings of my political opponents, wreaked their havoc and destroyed those buildings and facilities and I thank God that the employees of these two media institutions managed to escape largely unharmed.

23. There is no rationale that can adequately explain why I would order soldiers to repel peaceful protesters from the toll gate where I have no financial interest, yet, choose to do nothing to protect my investments in the Nation and TVC.

24. The good and creative people of Lagos have worked hard over the years to build it into the dynamic economic and cultural focal point it has become. Lagos has enjoyed over two decades of sustained, uninterrupted growth.

https://twitter.com/AsiwajuTinubu/status/1320417942299955207?s=19

274 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by BigSarah(f): 8:00pm On Oct 25, 2020
It’s still business as usual, there’s no bright side to the protest and chaos... Next!

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Racoon(m): 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
“You then asked, ‘how are they there?’ “how long were they there?’ And “what kind of characters were they?”
I heavily grieve for those who have lost their lives or been injured during the period of these protests.
Youth that have protested peacefully for almost two weeks? Two incongruent statements just to sound politically correct and please your slavemasters even with a dastard incident like the Lekki shootings & killings?

Well,Tinubu is one blinded by ambition and ready to compromise anything to get it.You only harbour love, which borders on obsession, for your vain and lofty ambition to rule Nigeria.

289 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2020
There is no rationale that can adequately explain why I would order soldiers to repel peaceful protesters from the toll gate where I have no financial interest, yet, choose to do nothing to protect my investments in the Nation and TVC
Hmm God will judge us for our deeds, you will come back stronger, any one that abuse our leader and culture will invoke the wrath of all of us.

236 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by capitalzero: 8:09pm On Oct 25, 2020
9.The use of strong force against any peaceful protesters is indefensible, completely outside the norms of a democratic society and progressive political culture to which I aspire and have devoted my public life.

But sir your online hoodlums are defending use of strong force against lekki protesters. Lekki massacre is now part of our history . Some of them will quote me now

131 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by capitalzero: 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2020
Racoon:

Two incongruent statements Just to sound politically correct and please your slavemasters even with a dastard incident like the Lekki shootings & killings? Well,Tinubu is one blinded by ambition and was ready to compromise anything to get it.You only harbour love, which borders on obsession, for your vain and lofty ambition to rule Nigeria.

He recanted after he was presented with overwhelming evidence of the massacre. Interesting days are ahead. No online hoodlum should quote me oh!!

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Racoon(m): 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2020
9. The use of strong force against any peaceful protesters is indefensible, completely outside the norms of a democratic society and progressive political culture to which I aspire and have devoted my public life.

"For instance, it is unfortunate that hoodlums, thugs and assorted criminals have seized on the protests to perpetrate violence, disrupt civil life and harass, intimidate and assault innocent persons going about their lawful business.

What can Bola Tinubu say about the hired thugs/ hoodlums being dropped off in hilux that were harassing peaceful #EndSARS protesters in Abuja?

“The intent of the organisers of the protests is to achieve stated objectives on police reform, which the government has in principle accepted. It can certainly not be their motive to cause generalised anarchy or effect regime change.

“If they give the impression that that is their goal, then any government will necessarily have to act with the requisite decisiveness and force to restore law and order and preserve constitutional rule.
http://saharareporters.com/2020/10/20/endsars-ex-lagos-governor-tinubu-justifies-use-force-peaceful-protesters-president

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Racoon(m): 8:26pm On Oct 25, 2020
capitalzero:
He recanted after he was presented with overwhelming evidence of the massacre. Interesting days are ahead. No online hoodlum should quote me oh!!
"A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.
James 1:8

....For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath showed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.
..."James 2:13

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by SalamRushdie: 8:27pm On Oct 25, 2020
At bottom, the toll gate is a public asset. If it is reopened, revenues should be donated to the confirmed victims of the Lekki attack as well as to other identifiable victims of police brutality in Lagos.

Just see the route this man wants to use to reopen toll gate ... If confirmed many died there then the place should become a memorial for the dead and no toll ever collected there again because of the price already paid in blood

194 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by maak400: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Tinubu you will never become president, this Fulani govt will finish you politically before 2023, they will send you to jail to bring you down completely. You betrayed the whole south and supported blood thirsty Fulani cabal to power in 2015 and 2019 despite all of buhari’s antecedents. Greedy thieving man pocketing all of Lagos money.

#RestructureNigeriaNow

179 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Tonniex: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
That Lekki toll gate should no longer be used again for collecting money!
Blood speaks all over there.
Nigerian Army opened live bullets and killed unarmed citizen unjustly!!

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Kyase(m): 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by BlackPantherxXx: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
grin

Some would cry and cry.

But Tinubu became a billionaire in 1980s (or earlier) and would die one while their families would continue to romance poverty.

I don't find it productive to envy successful people. Time is better spent on improving oneself.

Their grandparents abused Awolowo, their parents abused MKO.... now they are on Tinubu's case. If care isn't taken their children would continue the futile hate and penury.

But they NEVER will listen. cool

Nas Escobar's " Hate me now" playing ...

171 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by TecM0: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
cool

* Sir Obafemi Awolowo was vilified till death... His only offense being a successful Yoruba Politician , they concocted all lies and once he died they started showing fake love

* Chief Moshood Kashimawo Abiola was vilified till he lost his last breath, his only crime he as a Yoruba dared to aspire for the Office of the President of Nigeria

They have started with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Soon it would be Professor Yemi Osinbajo SAN

the aim is simple destroy Yorubas and it's political leaders

****They said he is was a nobody before 1999 ***

He as a Chicago trained accountant, worked at Deloitte Anderson Auditing Consultancy Chicago as a partner, he worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers consulting Chicago, he worked at General Electric, and his career in US spanned 20 years, with him opening Compass finance investment group IL Chicago, a company which FBI froze Agbele's 400k USD from and left 12 million USD in Tinubu's Citi Bank account as of Early 90s, he came back to Nigeria and joined ExxonMobil were he rose to become the Chief Financial Officer/ Treasurer

After this he was a cofounder of INTELs Logistics with Volpi and Atiku Abubakar, an investor in Oando PLC all before 1999

He even became the Asiwaju of Lagos a revered Lagos title before Politics or 1999

**** They call him a Godfather we call him a leader with protege****

Not only was he part of formation of Alliance for Democracy NADECO, he formed AC, ACN and merged with CPC to form APC when PDP where hellbent on frustrating Yorubas

He is the Jagaban of borgu because of his assistant to many borgu and northern Politicians

A title giving to him by the late Emir

If supporting your Political party in your state
and region makes him Godfather then so be it

After all Fashola was just a struggling lawyer, Fayemi was a Ghanaian lecturer, Ambode was a civil servant, Aregbesola was an engineer , Oni of Ife was a real estate agent, Osinbajo was a Law lecturer in LASU and a part time lawyer when Tinubu used his Political platform to lift them

151 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by BlackPantherxXx: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
angry

Whether he becomes President or not....

What he's achieved - your entire generations past, present and future COMBINED can't achieve 1/ 1 trillion..

If I were you, I would refocus my energies on productive things unlike my ancestors ooo.

Feel free to accept my advice or discard. But it is the bitter truth.

maak400:
Tinubu you will never become president, this Fulani govt will finish you politically before 2023, they will send you to jail to bring you down completely. You betrayed the whole south and supported blood thirsty Fulani cabal to power in 2015 and 2019 despite all of buhari’s antecedents. Greedy thieving man pocketing all of Lagos money.

#RestructureNigeriaNow

May God never leave us as "counters" of others' billions - imaginary or real. grin

Hunger does terrible things to the IQ.

Tonniex:
That toll gate should no longer be used again for collecting money!!
Blood speaks all over there.
Nigerian Army opened live bullets and killed unarmed citizen unjustly

I have already seen insultive comments left and defensive comments hidden

Seun, you have terrible staff.

90 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by merieam16(f): 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Me can never never believe a politician. Wana buy empathy I already got one for does that lost their lives

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by baby124: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
You came on national TV in arrogance and laughed in the face of those who died. That was not a mistake. You had time to think about your first speech. You only release this bullshit when people expressed disgust at the stupid press conference. I am sure even Sanwo Olu was alarmed. You bring your foolish son who contributed to loss of lives to also laugh like hyena on TV. So that those who lost children can cry very well. Agbaya. Agba ti ko to nkan.

151 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by helinues: 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
grin

Jagaban of Borgu land has spoken.....

Slayers of Ipob and Pdp miscreants

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Nigeriabiafra80: 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Let’s reason
Tinubu is not the commander In chief or the arm forces
Yet buhari media cows join hand to blame him while exonerating buhari
Yes we all know that he would have prevented such scenario but let’s channel our grievances where it should be
Buhari should be held responsible

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by tstx(m): 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Following
Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by ATEAMS: 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Nawao..next level Indeed

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Camos: 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Chai!!!

Nigeria, my necessary Evil.
Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by femidly: 8:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
What did he say?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by habymi: 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2020
see mouth
Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by LegendHero(m): 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2020
7. As a political figure, I am accustomed to people attributing to me all manner of indiscretions of which I have no knowledge and in which I played no role. I have usually ignored such falsities as the cost of being in the public eye.

8. This time, it is different. The allegation now levied against me is that I called on soldiers to kill my own people. This allegation is the foulest of lies.

11. For various reasons, I became the most available scapegoat. Some people don't like me because they believe the false rumours uttered about me over the years. Some maligned my name because they hide ulterior motives & harbour unrequited political scores they intend to settle

12. A week ago, such people tried to bring enmity between me and the state and federal governments by contending I was sponsoring the protests.

13. When that did not work, they then sought to sow enmity between me and the people by saying I ordered soldiers to quash the very same protests they first accused me of organising.

14. My opponents have every right to oppose me politically but let them have the courage to do so in the open, above board and to employ facts not evil fiction in their efforts against me.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tinubu's Full Statement On Lekki Shooting by Eriokanmi: 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2020
Nobody hates you. We only hate the spirit of greed and corruption in you. You'd be retired popitically soon

58 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Atiku Is From Cameroon’ – Nnamdi Kanu Tells Govt Only Boycott -nnamdi Kanu / ‘I See Nigeria Split Into 5 Countries’ - Says Prophet Ignis Iribhogbe / Pictures Of President Buhari In Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.