Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,718 members, 7,851,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:40 PM

Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela - Music/Radio (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela (21139 Views)

Nigeria �� Vs Ghana �� Which Has Better Music? Ghana �� Vs Nigeria �� / US Naval Force Performs Fela Kuti's "Water E No Get Enemy" / Meet Nigeria's Only Female Producer Who Produced Sean Tizzle's Pempe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Wierdceo: 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2020
Fela's songs and some of his music styles and even his lyrics are what some of our biggest mysicians of today are using to become more popular.

Burna boy- ye
Burna boy- cool temper
Wizkid - jaiye jaiye
Burna boy - my money
Wizkid - sweet love

Go and listen to those songs and tell me those are not fela's styles and even some has his lyrics.

How dare you compare fela and Lagbaja.

When Lagbaja sang vernacular and featured fela, it was only fela's talk he used in the song am not even sure fela was in the studio with him.

Even lagbaja respected fela.

I like lagbaja's tune but fela is the legend here. He produced sounds of music that were never heard before. He is a pioneer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by thedio(m): 6:15pm On Dec 18, 2020
Werey re o, how dare u compare Fela with Lagbaja

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by rapcy(m): 8:58am On Dec 19, 2020
Osusu317:

Guy stfu what kind of nonsense/rubbish comparison is this one na...
See fela see trouble o, u nor jz get respect intact u b small boy..... A whole Fela Kuti
Just go type greatest musicians of all time weda u nor go see Fela for top 15!!!!!!!
Can u imagine the rubbish mtchewwwww

grin grin
Your comment just proved me right
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Semaj77(m): 10:29pm On Dec 19, 2020
NewDelhi:
I'll give it to lagbaja. His music are more captivating, better beats and rhymes to put you in a dance mood. Even if you no dance you go dey shake head.

Give fela 10 mins to sing a song, he will use the first 5 mins for rythymless beats, 2 mins for lyrics wey no get meaning and the last 3 mins for another round of rhythmeless beats.

Lagbaja was way better in my opinion.

Even Lagbaja would disagree with you
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Semaj77(m): 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2020
rossniti:

I disagree big time.

You don't understand music.

Fela was on a totally different level from Lagbaja.

What do you mean by ''rhythmless beats''?

Fela?

You must be drunk.

Better go on Youtube and humbly listen to the music of the greatest African musician of all time.

Maybe you were in nappies 7 years ago when the Fela on Broadway musical was going on in theatres across the world, and attended by every major star on earth, from Jay Z to Beyonce, to Will Smith, to Spike Lee, to Alicia keys and Madonna, in honour of the great man.

Small children talking rubbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkJfdqoKcYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzU5-xcSF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6KWhy2FAk

He has to be mad to compare the two
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Semaj77(m): 10:51pm On Dec 19, 2020
sylve11:

You shouldn't have bothered educating those kids. That's how some kids were comparing Lucky Dube to Bob Marley. embarassed cool

The thing tire me , na so one idiot come my house dey compare wizkid to Michael jackson , my 73 year old mum almost slapped sense into his head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Semaj77(m): 4:51am On Dec 20, 2020
Gmajor:

I still stand by what I said.
Fela pales in comparison to a lot of Nigerian music legends.
That someone inspired you does not mean you can't surpass him/her.
Graham Bell invited the telephone in the 1800, but his invention pales in comparison to what Steve Jobs was able to produce.

Whenever the Fela topic is brought up, people always tend to approach the topic with a rose tinted glass that really clouds their judgement.

Yes, Fela is a activist and his songs were well loved.
Yes, Fela to a large extent pioneer the Afro beat.

Fela is unabashedly African. He loved Africa, it's culture and language and looked down on people who wanted to be more westernized.
He was a staunch political activist and always spoke up when he felt that things were not going right and as such, he was a constant torn on the flesh of the military regime.

Fela's music is not about it's content but what it stood for.

If it didn't have content , a message or meaningful lyrics how can it stand for anything , listen to your yourself. The fact that you don't find it appealing doesn't mean everybody should agree with your assertions , Fela is and will be revered for his musical ingenuity , nothing you or any of your cronies say can change that

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 4:58am On Dec 20, 2020
It's funny that some people think that they are better judges of what constitutes good music than legends like Manu Dibango, who said that Fela was a master composer, Sir Paul McCartney, who was moved to tears by the melody of Fela's songs, Hugh Masekela and Bootsy Collins, James Brown's legendary bassist who went to the Shrine to see Fela play and when he returned to the US he said:

I mean, this is the James Brown band, but we were totally wiped out! That is one trip I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world”.
In another interview he said, “I thought THEY were the greatest, period. Even before I got into the James Brown band, the James Brown band was number one to me. But once I got there and saw Fela and them, then I had second thoughts about it. . .when I heard these cats, it was like another dimension. . .a deeper feel to me. . .it was like, ‘Man, this is IT. We gotta try to be like this!”

They know better than people that have had number one hits around the world and they also know better than professors of music.

According to them, Fela's music was crap and anyone that thinks differently is only looking at things through rose coloured lens.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 7:40am On Dec 20, 2020
naptu2:
I have to follow that post above with a Nigerian equivalent.

MUSON Symphony Orchestra playing Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's Water No Get Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTp9kXZnqnI

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 21, 2020
atobs4real:
which kind thing be this now ? Fela of course. He is the real prophet and nigga

FELA is dead and his musics are still trending. Lagbaja is alive and his musics are dead

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by Chatbot1234: 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2020
Lol, fela largely influenced what is afrobeats now from his afrobeat.
What legacy did labaja leave ? Will people look into his body of work in the future to take samples and all that cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 2:22pm On Dec 22, 2020
naptu2:
grin grin grin

You see, it's not just that the chorus is hypnotic, but the story line also cracks me up every time.

I bought beer for you guys and you drank it all.

I bought whisky, you drank.

I bought ogogoro, you drank it all.

I bought palm wine, you drank.

I looked at my pockets, they were empty.

Then you guys went ahead to break the bottles!

Do you know how much those bottles cost??

What kind of debt do you want to put me in??

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti - Fogo Fogo (1973).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0NMEg9Ugo

naptu2:
⬆You really need to listen to that story (it begins at the 3:58 minute mark). I didn't spice it up in my description. You need to listen to the words that Fela actually used. It was so much fun!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by naptu2: 4:28pm On Dec 22, 2020
naptu2:
grin grin grin

It was said that this song is about one of his associates (I've forgotten who) that was a glutton.

"Chop and quench, is here!
Waki and die, is here!
Jeun ko ku, is here!

I made amala, he finished everything.
I made eba, he ate all
I made yam, he finished it.

Thief! Help me chase him away
Thief! Help me chase him away
Help me chase him away from my house o!

naptu2:
All Fela's songs are great. For me, his songs can be put into two categories: the political songs and the commercial songs. I think that the political songs are the greatest, but the commercial songs are also fantastic. This is one of the best of the commercial songs.

This song was everywhere in the '70s and '80s, but a time came when it was difficult to find the vocal version. The instrumental version could easily be found. I'm going to post both versions.

You can clearly hear Fela yelling in this song. That's a technique that James Brown copied. Several bands (including swedish, norwegian and american bands) have covered the instrumental version of this song.

Jeun ko ku o! O de!
Chop and quench o! O de!
Wacki and die! O de!

Ole, e bami le lo o!

Fela Ransome-Kuti and his Africa 70 - Jeun Ko Ku (Chop And Quench) - (1971).

Instrumental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7fNVx2uEk

Vocal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIckHF1cQJ0
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by brio1408: 6:01pm On Dec 22, 2020
naptu2:
By the way, Orlando Julius did not create Afrobeat. The co-creators of Afrobeat were Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Tony Allen.

Orlando Julius originally played traditional Yoruba styles, then he switched to highlife in the 1960s. That's where he first found fame. This song was one of his biggest hits.

Orlando Julius - Jagua Nana (1965).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6D8uJqnexQ

He then travelled to the US where he played funk music with people like Hugh Masekela and James Brown. That's what he was doing in the 1970s.

Fela had already created and switched to Afrobeat by the mid-1970s.

Orlando Julius only switched to Afrobeat when he came back to Nigeria c1979 and discovered that it was popular here. That's when he released songs like Dance Afrobeat. I remember when this song was released because I was pleased that someone else was also playing afrobeat. It was on heavy rotation on Lagos Television.

Orlando Julius - Dance Afrobeat (1983).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bC6TRRMwgs

You can hear the obvious Fela influence in the song.

Orlando Julius also influenced Fela in the 1960s, but he didn't create afrobeat.
You did a great job here with your research.
Re: Who Produced Better Music Between Lagbaja And Fela by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 2:51am On Mar 14, 2021
Azurevermillion:
Authority Stealing is my best fela track as in the love I have for that track is different

Another one of his underrated song I love the most is "Just like that" i love that track.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Burna Boy, Tems And Rema To Headline NBA All-Star Game Half Time Show / 54 RADIO STATIONS Sited IN Lagos State / 5 Things An Up And Coming Nigerian Artist Must Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.