Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account (18278 Views)

IGP, EFCC Chairman On Collision Course As Police Withdraw CSPs, Others / Proposed Endsars Protest: Lagos Police Withdraw Men From Individuals. / Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Islie: 9:31pm On Oct 28, 2020
The Nigeria Police Force has withdrawn the charges preferred against a student of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, who was detained for 82 days for operating a parody account of former President Goodluck Jonathan on Twitter.

Olusola Babatunde was arraigned before Justice Anwuli Chikere of the Federal High Court in Abuja for impersonating the former President even though he had stated on his Twitter profile that the account was a parody one.

After several appeals and protests, Babatunde was released. Jonathan subsequently informed the police that he was no longer interested in pursuing the case.

Babatunde’s lawyer, Tope Akinyode, announced the development on Twitter, saying, “The criminal charges against Babatunde Olusola over the parody account of former President Goodluck Jonathan have been withdrawn. The Federal High Court has struck out the case today in which I represented him.”

Babatunde had told The PUNCH how he was detained by the police for 82 days and nearly contracted COVID-19 at the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Garki, Abuja for creating the parody account.

The student said although he was never tortured, he wore the same clothes for 82 days and was only allowed to wash his clothes every four days.

“It wasn’t easy. I spent 82 days in detention and I was transferred to three different cells. I wore the same clothes for 82 days,” Babatunde said.

The student said he felt betrayed that former President Jonathan could order his arrest because he was one of his biggest supporters.

He said a few days before his arrest, he tweeted that Jonathan’s administration was better than that of his successor, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

Narrating how he was arrested, the student said his uncle called him and asked him to see him urgently and that policemen wanted to see him.

The student said on getting to his uncle’s house, the police arrested him and did not reveal to him the reason for his arrest.

“It was when I got to the station that I was asked what I did to offend Goodluck Jonathan”, Babatude said.

“I spent over a month in police custody before I was arraigned,” he added.

The student said he created the parody account with the best of intentions and never defrauded anyone or impersonated the former President.

He said he abided by the Twitter rules guiding the creating parody accounts and wondered why he was subjected to such wickedness.

“I set it up just to make the timeline fun. I have my own personal Twitter account but I just wanted to ‘catch cruise’. It was my personal Twitter account that I converted. It was the same handle @jayythedope but I changed my picture and profile name to that of Jonathan,” he said.

https://punchng.com/police-withdraw-charges-against-student-operating-jonathan-parody-account/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Damikjay(m): 9:35pm On Oct 28, 2020
jeezz!! wat caught me was he was detained for 82days and a he almost caught covid 19,if this guy don catch m, dey will just leave him to die.
thank God he is out

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by TecM0: 9:36pm On Oct 28, 2020
cool

This new Police funny sha.... Withdrawing cases, doing nothing during looting, watching their stations burn without killing anybody, watching jail break from afar and smiling at camera

Call 615, 112, or 199 for emergency and they start using you to catch cruise

If Buhari pays them their October salary from our tax payers money then the masses got scammed

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by IamWonderful: 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2020
May God deliver us from powerful people that want to transfer aggression of shameful defeat to us, they claim they are GODly, but they carry hatred and bitterness, detaining someone for 82 days for parody account is barbaric and even he was denied his lawyer, democracy hero my foot

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Nazgul: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2020
This is wickedness, how can you detain someone for 82 days... truly our police force needs to be reformed.

If they felt he was guilty of impersonation why not charge him to court? Why keep him there for 82 days...a student for that matter.

This people are just heartless

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Fart5: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2020
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by leadedge: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2020
Wow
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by eagleu: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2020
82 days only?
Ask the person who made a parody of Buhari how things are going in Heaven, because that's where he puts his parody!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by jojofola: 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
The Nigerian Police should be sued instead.

A country with the "World's most useless President".

10 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by yeyeboi(m): 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
If your papa na police abeg help me tell am sey thunder fire him left yansh cry

7 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Mars16(m): 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
Of course he did nothing wrong. After all is a free world.
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by HAPPINESSSS(f): 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
FOOLISH BOY,

YOU SHOULD HAVE USES BUHARI NOW,SO THAT BY NOW YOU WILL BE RESTING IN HELL,

YOUR TYPE WILL KEEP HUMILIATING THEIR PARENT AND STILL RRMAIN FUTURELESS..

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by frankblinkz(m): 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
I just love Nigeria.... enough joke to make u laff
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by kheny12(m): 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
Nigeria system is quack undecided
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Dario1: 9:40pm On Oct 28, 2020
Good
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by IfyGram: 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
#EndPoliceBrutality
#EndSars
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by MVLOX(m): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
Noted.....
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Sijo01(f): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
Nobody should try this with Buhari o

2 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by NaijaOlosho(f): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
undecided
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Camos: 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
hmm
Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Charmingrascal(m): 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
jojofola:
The Nigeria Police should be sued instead.

No! Jonah who ordered his arrest and detention should be sued instead.

4 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by StPete: 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
I must say this was one wicked act from GEJ himself. Sometimes he plays all sanctimonious knowing fully well that he has the same blood as other blood sucking politicians in the country.

And I must say that even though I prefer his tenure to that of Buhari's, GEJ's tenure was fantastically corrupt to the marrow.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 28, 2020
I want make them use am as example, parody acct that will be implicating real person, na so one using djswitch parody account say e wan hurt Tinubu and that falz parody acct will just be sharing fake news up and down. Use one as example

5 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2020
Where are those children of hate self...please they should come and wail as usual....
Thunder fire you for quoting me�

1 Like

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by BrickDevo: 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2020
Good, so we move!

Get your original and accurate building plans, properly stamped and documented.

Visit our thread and drop your requests, thank you,
https://www.nairaland.com/5631959/why-should-work-us-3

Location is Lagos

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Okoroawusa: 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2020
If this was Tinubu or Buhari...

1 Like

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:43pm On Oct 28, 2020
Aftermath

3 Likes

Re: Police Withdraw Charges Against Student Operating Jonathan Parody Account by Omoslim26: 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
Ok

that guy can be an asset in future

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ortom: FG Goes After Kanu, Igboho, Spares Fulani Bandits / Anambra Election: Peter Obi Congratulates Soludo, Commits State Into God's Hands / Kogi APC Governorship Primary, Biggest Fraud In Nigeria’s History – Shuaibu Audu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.