Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,916 members, 7,824,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? (10342 Views)

Microsoft Announces End Of Internet Explorer / List Of Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users (naija Made The List) / Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Phateamah(f): 8:40pm On Mar 12, 2011
There are several factors ranging from illiteracy to Power Supply,
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Sagewood: 8:13pm On Mar 13, 2011
The government can really speed up and grow internet usage in Nigeria by introducing basic computing and internet applications courses in primary and secondary schools as part of the curriculum. My 7- year daughter uses the computer and internet for basic assignments and entertainment. I believe this is the key. The parents will by default learn how to use the internet as a way to assist their kids in completing their assignments. Govt can provide subsidy The provision of constant power supply is also very important. The government is really myopic in the way they have been dealing with power supply. They have been promising uninterrupted power for the past 10+ years and nothing has improved. How about investing in solar power, especially in rural Nigeria? There should be a National Policy and Laws in place to accelerate the growth of e- based business and banking, e-based courses in the tertiary institutions and building of necessary infrastructures to support the IT systems in the country.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Jencejyde(m): 11:10am On Mar 14, 2011
Hmm, this is one topic that will really stretch beyond the boundaries because the factor are just way beyond what we could even write in a book.

I'll be watching this one closely
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:19am On Mar 14, 2011
Phateamah:

There are several factors ranging from illiteracy to Power Supply,
I think we're getting to that stage where it will be available for almost everbody. as for the illiteracy bit, Im sure anyone who can read (or comprehend ) english could be taught to use the internet.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by omo9ja1(m): 11:20am On Mar 14, 2011
We can do this if we only vote the useless party that have fail to live to their empty promises, costant power supply should be a basic thing we should not allow any leader to make any promises about power as this a primary responsibility of any government, i wonder if Ghana could have steady power supply how can Nigeria the Giant of Africa can not have it, Its time we start to call on international aids for our rural area so that they can also have solar power and internet cafes

I have seen this happen in Kenya

http://www.apc.org/en/news/cybercafe-container-rural-kenyas-mobile-internet-s
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by ariy(m): 11:31am On Mar 14, 2011
power! power!! power!!!

unless we resolve power issue, nigeria go nowhere.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by PeeDaVinci: 11:54am On Mar 14, 2011
Poor telecom infrastructure, for instance , no functioning national carrier
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by turboman(m): 12:47pm On Mar 14, 2011
'Power and Connection fee' are the key factors militating against internet penetration in Nigeria. The internet is fun and comes with a load of upside which the average teen/youth lusts for. Take naija institutions for example where every student is dying to be be computer literate in order to reap the benefits of; Google/Wiki = Assignment made easy, Facebook = Chyking / relationship made easier, Ymessasenger/instant messaging = Aproko made easy etc ,  . . . .  from this  preliminary stage, most newbies are drawn into the real cyber web. Its obvious that with 3g and mobile-phone internet (blackberries and co.) the penetration rate have increased rapidly, but browsing on a mobile device give less than 10% the actual experience of going online on a desk/laptop
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by mount1ng(m): 12:53pm On Mar 14, 2011
Power, subscription fee and the low quality hardwares
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by medjai(m): 1:00pm On Mar 14, 2011
-Cost of computer: If the cost could come really down such that anyone could afford it, then there'll be a composite growth in internet usage.

-Cost of internet connection: Not many people can afford N 5,000 monthly.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by turboman(m): 1:04pm On Mar 14, 2011
PeeDaVinci:

Poor telecom infrastructure, for instance , no functioning national carrier

I disagree on this one. Nigerian telecom infrastructure isn't poor at all. the problem is that services are a bit on the expensive side. There are so many (eg, in Laos, i can't count) internet service providers in the country including the major four telco service providers. Internet is in the air waiting for you plug your CPE and subscribe. But be ready to cough out about $70 monthly
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:10pm On Mar 14, 2011
Let's start with the basic

1. Poverty rate --- not everyone can afford to buy a computer and if they do here is the second

2. Power --- without power/electricity you really can't do much and even if they have 1 & 2, here's the third

3. Poor IT infrastructure --- Nigeria still has poor IT infrastructure to make internet availability basic. I believe internet industry isn't competitive enough; that's a limiting factor there.

4. Literacy --- believe it not everyone is comfortable with using the computers let alone the internet but that can change very easily when introduced as part of education.

5. Reason --- the average Nigerian hasn't seen any reason why they should use the internet other than social networking, chatting etc, Nigeria needs to improve platforms for people to have reasons to view the web like commerce, banking, education (at all levels) etc.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Adexvyb(m): 2:42pm On Mar 14, 2011

1. Poverty rate --- not everyone can afford to buy a computer and if they do here is the second

2. Power --- without power/electricity you really can't do much and even if they have 1 & 2, here's the third

3. Poor IT infrastructure --- Nigeria still has poor IT infrastructure to make internet availability basic. I believe internet industry isn't competitive enough; that's a limiting factor there.

4. Literacy --- believe it not everyone is comfortable with using the computers let alone the internet but that can change very easily when introduced as part of education.

5. Reason --- the average Nigerian hasn't seen any reason why they should use the internet other than social networking, chatting etc, Nigeria needs to improve platforms for people to have reasons to view the web like commerce, banking, education (at all levels) etc.
u have said it all
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 14, 2011
you need more internet in nigeria?

the one we currently have, what's it mainly being used for.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Megateq(m): 3:04pm On Mar 14, 2011
Adexvyb:

u have said it all

I totally agree with you
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by dellnet: 6:18pm On Mar 14, 2011
What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria?

@OP elaborate a little bit more, do you mean internet availability, internet access, or the internet network itself (IP Network).
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by styles2009: 8:58pm On Mar 14, 2011
PDP government would not give you the following ,so as to keep Nigerians uninformed and in darkness

Power

Internet

As small as Saharareporters,it doing more damage then EFCC and Nigerians Army combine, Information is Power, and they don't want you to have that power from your bedroom.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by medjai(m): 9:09pm On Mar 14, 2011
Only 26% of Nigerians have access to the internet shocked shocked At a time when the world has been totally shrunk into a global village, it's nerve crippling to note that internet penetration is still this low. Just about a quarter of Nigerians have access to the internet, that's real bad.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by NumberOne2(m): 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2011
POWER POWER POWER!!! You cannot access the internet without POWER, unless you are some kinda ET. Who are we kidding?
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by user32(m): 8:53am On Mar 15, 2011
notebook laptop + your-freedom = cool
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by AfricaMars: 1:21am On Mar 16, 2011
I have always thought and wrote about Internet usage growth and commercialization in Nigeria at my Nigerian startups blog http://naijastartups..com

I think the limiting factor is cost of bandwidth and lack of a viable e-commerce system. If you look at places like India, bandwidht is really cheap. for a cheap hotel room, you get very fast Internet connection, you will pay 6 times the cost of the hotel room in a hotel in Abuja and you'll still get an Internet connection that is 10 times slower than what you get in India.

The Telecoms should really do something about this.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by YoungBrain: 11:20am On Mar 16, 2011
Unlike other serious Governments ours pays lip service to internet growth in the country
Internet growth in Nigeria today rests solely with the private sector

Funding, building of infrastructure,e-commerce and shamefully even policy formulation
have all been left to the private sector.

Until we vote in people that have a clue of what 21st century governance looks like
we would continue to suffer poor internet services in Nigeria
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Shanshani: 7:42pm On Mar 17, 2011
Eh factor ni factor koh, we have unlimited growth una forget say our satellite lost for orbit. We have correct magus weh sabi internet well well, bros we no get factor here, next topic please.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Ikengawo: 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2011
Power. But idk where you get the notion that internet use in naija is stagnant when every village head master has facebook n watches league soccer on their phone
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:16am On Mar 18, 2011
How can the Internet grow when 70% of those who uses it are Yahoo Yahoo Boys.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 5:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
Ikengawo:

Power. But idk where you get the notion that internet use in naija is stagnant when every village head master has facebook n watches league soccer on their phone

No offense but hear yourself out in the bolded sentence and then relate it to the main topic. The question asked was " What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria?". No one is doubting if they use it in the village but the growth rate, i.e. its uses, who, where and how it's used all contribute to its growth. If you look at the growth pattern, it's not encouraging because of several factors period.
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by Phateamah(f): 6:19pm On Mar 24, 2011
Thanks evri1, i appreciate ur contributions
Re: What Are The Factors Limiting The Growth Of Internet In Nigeria? by iice(f): 4:23am On Apr 05, 2011
Human element.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Buy A Laptop,any Help? / Zinox Completes New Digital Assembly Plant In Lagos / HELP: Destination Folder Access Denied Windows 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.