Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,508 members, 7,770,282 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:32 AM

Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos (44596 Views)

Spectranet 4g Lte And Swift 4g Lte Browsing Free On Pc With Zero Naira (fastest) / Which Is The Best Internet Modem For Home Use In Nigeria? / Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by kollins247: 12:30am On May 04, 2011
i was wondering if swift 4g internet is the beast in lagos at the moment ,i found out that they have gb limitation and 30k data plan unlimited has a restriction of 512kb speed
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by zankey(m): 11:22am On May 04, 2011
Yes, the swift4G is the best arround now in Lagos, with wider coverage now in egbeda, ogba, Alapere(these are places have used it successfully) have been using it since last year, it takes me average of 1-2hours to download a 1.5gb file(if I have 3-4bars coverage oo!). And the browsing experience is Good.

I HOPE AND PRAY THEY WILL KEEP IT UP.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by mjay(m): 12:53pm On May 04, 2011
zankey:

Yes, thes wift 4G is the best arround now in Lagos, with wider coverage now in egbeda, ogba, Alapere(these are places have used it successfully) have been using it since last year, it takes me average of 1-2hours to download a 1.5gb file(if I have 3-4bars coverage oo!). And the browsing experience is Good. I HOPE AND PRAY THEY WILL KEEP IT UP.

thats not whta i heard from peeps experience. Let others attest to this. And let someone tell us abt MOBITEL too. Difficult to trust all this network. Please share your experiences if you have one.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by mat6plus: 1:34pm On May 04, 2011
I think Swift is good. Have used there services very well. I go all the way from Ibafo to Onike
because I need to use there facility I don't mean this there 4G Router o o o
the Cafe they run in conjuction with business owners. I tell there has never been any time
regretting what I need to pay for transportation al to get a fast and reliable connection for my heavy
download,
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by dabraska: 9:29am On May 05, 2011
swift is a fraud!!!! though they hav relatively fast internet but they use up ur money lyk crazy,
i started usin swift 4G in february, (10 gb bandwidth), 15k 4 one month, And after 3 days, they cut me off, i called them nd they said it was an accountin problem, they rectified it, nd in 5 mins i started browsin,
A week after, they cut me off again nd i called them again, then they said i had 18k left wen i jst paid 15k, so i paid 15k out of d 18k remainin 3k, afta that i started browsin,
after lyk a week plus, i was cut off again nd i called them and this tym they told me i had used up my 10gb bandwidth!

i ddnt want to argue wif them cus i had spent so much money even tryin 2 call them,
I paid 4 anoda month, 15k, And to my surprise, in exactly 10 days, they cut me off and i asked why, they told me i had used 10gb in 10 days after strict monitoring cus, i tot dey were billin me 4 wat i ddnt use, we have only 3 active computers in my house, so i started puttin it off wen i'm nt using it and stopped all downloads, And still this!

I have told them i wud neva use swift 4G again nd i'll mess them up in d media, its absurd!
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by loneytunes(m): 11:10am On May 05, 2011
Well, so far so good, swift' been okay in my office at Ajah. We use the 12k option and has been working for close to a month now.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by emcaluv(m): 11:10am On May 05, 2011
@Dabraska, I don't use Swift but from your post, i don't think Swift is the problem here. You are downloading what you don't want without knowing. Most computers download things at the background without your knowledge because someone set it that way without knowing. Some softwares do download things automatically without informing you. You better check your system and disable every automated downloads. Check your download statistics from the browser software. Windows update can use up your data too. I wish you luck.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by kshow1(m): 11:21am On May 05, 2011
For now its Swift 4G all the way, relatively faster compare to other existing networks
we have been using it in my office for months now and we have no cause to regret except for some instances where we were cut off before our expiry period.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by Untentable: 11:35am On May 05, 2011
@Dabraska, to maximise your data bundle, always turn off windows automatic updates cos it usually runs in the background and it downloads a lot of updates dat you are not even aware of thereby using up your data bundle without you being aware.

To Turn Off Automatic Updates

Goto Start button

Click Control Panel

Click Windows Updates

Goto Change Settings on the left pane

Set it to 'Never Check for Updates (not recommended) '
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by kshow1(m): 11:47am On May 05, 2011
Untentable:

@Dabraska, to maximise your data bundle, always turn off windows automatic updates cos it usually runs in the background and it downloads a lot of updates dat you are not even aware of thereby using up your data bundle without you being aware.

To Turn Off Automatic Updates

Goto Start button

Click Control Panel

Click Windows Updates

Goto Change Settings on the left pane

Set it to 'Never Check for Updates (not recommended) '

Thanks for this info.
i have always been worried about how my system requires me to update all the time.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by toblosky(m): 11:56am On May 05, 2011
30k 4 one month haba.dat means mtn slowlink is still the best
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by tollu: 12:37pm On May 05, 2011
It is good enough when you compare with others in its Nigerian environment. The 10GB cap that was recently introduced is totally crappy though.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by dabraska: 12:46pm On May 05, 2011
@Untentable: thnks very much, i will try wat u've said, thnks again!
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by edicolove: 12:49pm On May 05, 2011
@Dabraska, I don't use Swift but from your post, i don't think Swift is the problem here. You are downloading what you don't want without knowing. Most computers download things at the background without your knowledge because someone set it that way without knowing. Some softwares do download things automatically without informing you. You better check your system and disable every automated downloads. Check your download statistics from the browser software. Windows update can use up your data too. I wish you luck.

As a very experienced programmer and expert in ICT, I beg to disagree that the problem is windows update. Window full installation is not even up to 5GB so to say windows update consumed 10GB is very wrong. The problem is from swift.  Most of these networks have bugs in their systems that malfunction from time to time and it can affect customers. This is not supposed to be a very big issue if they had good customer service. But most of them have very terrible customer service. I think the customer service is something you should consider when you buy a modem.

The best in my books are

1. Starcomms
2. VISA
3. SWIFT
4. ZOOM
5. GLO
6. AIRTEL
7. ETISALAT
8. MTN

Criteria include, speed, cost, coverage, connectivity, reliability and customer service.

for example, ZOOM is very good in terms of speed and connectivity but their coverage is very poor.
VISA is very good for speed, coverage, customer service is fair and connectivity is good but their pricing is crap and expensive.
Swift is good but very expensive. Good speed, good connectivity, coverage is increasing but you can mostly use it in Lagos. Their plans are expensive too.  about the worst in terms of cost.
GLO, ETISALAT and AIRTEL are good and about the same in terms of performance and pricing. Average customer service apart from AIRTEL who has a fairly good customer service. Etisalat has a lot of their process automated though which is cool.
MTN is good in some areas but the slowest in terms of speed and has poor connectivity. Also very poor customer service.
Startcomms is good in most areas but their congestion is their major problem.

And just to add that the 3G or 4G claim is scam. They are all still operating on 2G or less. downloading 1.5G in 2hours is very slow compared to 3G or 4G. But we are just managing them for now.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by Tolulop001(f): 1:06pm On May 05, 2011
they should just stop sending me annoying text messages every day angry
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by Kreamie(m): 1:14pm On May 05, 2011
Truth be told, all these network providers have their pros and their cons, Especially the GSM operators, Well, as for me, the real deal has been starcomms; though a bit expensive, you can be rest assured that you'd get nothing but the best from them! I'm still looking to try out this 'SWIFT 4G' thingy though,
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by sleekman(m): 1:15pm On May 05, 2011
Ha I tire for people O! Swift 4G d best Ke? On what parameters?
Considering no technical hitches Glo has no rival. I have downloaded 1Gig in less than 5mins & even in the afternoon my connection hits speeds of about 1.5-2MB/s. Yeah I know people will ask have you used the others & my response is yes. I currently browse with Airtel & MTN @ night 3GB/N2500 options and use Glo 150MB/N1000 option during the daytime. As we say in Benin 'cunny man die, cunny man bury am'. When using glo as well as most capped bandwidth packages its advisable to stop most applications that will consume a lot of data like the updaters e.g. Windows update, windows security essentials etc. To do this click on START on the search box type msconfig and wait for msconfig to appear on top and then click. Go to services and unmark the programs that consume bandwidth by stopping them from loading and then Ok & restart.

Using their services this way allows me to reduce data usage as well as ability to roam to any network when any of them are having technical issues as well as reduce the rate of flow of hard earned cash from me pocket.
I used Swift 4G before and I must say those guys have the worst customer relations desk in Nigeria or maybe on the planet. They don't offer flexibility that is ability to use one hardware on different networks. As an IT savvy person I also know that if a particular base station covering say Lekki Ph1 can accept 10GB data then the more people are connected to that base station that will effectively reduce the bandwidth per user. Also if a base station is not optically connected to the backbone that also will affect its bandwidth. Power is another issue. There is hardly power in some neighbourhoods so the gen sets have to run for long periods which in turn in most cases reduces the voltage not current churned out from these sets. A reduction in voltage results to a reduction in bandwidth or sometimes a change from HSDPA to EDGE or even GPRS because the faster technologies require more power.
So if you're looking for speed then its Glo but not too pocket friendly. if u want to just be connected without bandwidth limitations perhaps Visafone or Starccoms but not fast.
I repeat as for speed Glo has no rival.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by edicolove: 1:21pm On May 05, 2011
I have used Glo and I like their data plans. I think their speed is good but VISA is faster and doesnt break. ZOOM is about the fastest if you live in their coverage area. MTN is annoying.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by jobas: 1:28pm On May 05, 2011
IMHO, ipNX is the best. Far more stable and reliable than SWIFT. I've used both, so I can tell.

But then again, it depends on the area and the congestion level on the provider's base-stations in these areas. But then again, ipNX seems to have more coverage and a variety of modems to choose from.

Just my 2 cents, happy browsing!!!!
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by solomto(f): 2:43pm On May 05, 2011
Visa is too slow in my area
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by tolu001: 2:44pm On May 05, 2011
^^^^ hmmm. . . .ipnx ke, that was then when they first started not now that they have bitten more than they can chew
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by CIMTHOG: 3:14pm On May 05, 2011
@damola1 - a very good breakdown
@toblosky - like the cliche there 'mtn slowlink'
@edicolove - u're very on point about the 3G or 4G claim, it's largely a scam but partly true (depends on area and even at that not constant in those areas).

Basically internet in the country is still very expensive and not commensurate to the costs. Having said that, what we need from the numerous Service Providers is a detailed visual breakdown of what the maximum bandwidth (in whatever form i.e 2G, 2.5G, 3G, 4G, CDMA2000, HSDPA, EDGE, etc) offered in each coverage area/Local Government is in each state. That way, you can make your judgement based on what is available to you in your locale before you purchase.

Not that everyone comes to 'lie' to the public that they are offering 3G in Lagos when it's only available in certain areas of Lagos.

Truth be told they play on the limited tech knowledge of the larger populace and hide under the gimmick of it being the game of the trade and unfortunately for us our regulatory bodies (NCC, ISPAN, etc) turn a blind-eye to these sharp practices.

Who noticed the death of the GSM Forum programme that was ran some years back, where the citizens had the opportunity to interact directly with the telco representatives and quiz them on their services, costs and whatever it was that they were not doing right?? Such brilliant initiatives have quietly been swept under the carpet as the customer had taken centre stage.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by Sdollar2(m): 4:19pm On May 05, 2011
smiley
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by davidand: 5:46pm On May 05, 2011
s.dollar what did you see to the last post here.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by jason2010(m): 5:50pm On May 05, 2011
zankey:

Yes, the swift4G is the best arround now in Lagos, with wider coverage now in egbeda, ogba, Alapere(these are places have used it successfully) have been using it since last year, it takes me average of 1-2hours to download a 1.5gb file(if I have 3-4bars coverage oo!). And the browsing experience is Good.

I HOPE AND PRAY THEY WILL KEEP IT UP.

mat6plus:

I think Swift is good. Have used there services very well. I go all the way from Ibafo to Onike
because I need to use there facility I don't mean this there 4G Router o o o
the Cafe they run in conjuction with business owners. I tell there has never been any time
regretting what I need to pay for transportation al to get a fast and reliable connection for my heavy
download,

@mat6plus and Zankey. What cyber cafes uses this Swift 4g? I have been trying to download a particular software in the last weeks. 777 Megabytes, and it says that it will take me 13 hours using visa phone. The problem that I am having is that Visa phone cannot stay connected for up to 5 hours straight without loosing connection. Once connection is lost, you have to start the download process all over again. I am so --- (I don't even know what word or adjective to use, frustrated is an understatement). I would appreciate a response. Please text/hit me up on 07043339139 or reply to this post with an address to the cyber cafe anywhere in lagos, I am willing to travel. Thanks in advance
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by bracelet: 6:01pm On May 05, 2011
jason2010:

@mat6plus and Zankey. What cyber cafes uses this Swift 4g? I have been trying to download a particular software in the last weeks. 777 Megabytes, and it says that it will take me 13 hours using visa phone. The problem that I am having is that Visa phone cannot stay connected for up to 5 hours straight without loosing connection. Once connection is lost, you have to start the download process all over again. I am so --- (I don't even know what word or adjective to use, frustrated is an understatement). I would appreciate a response. Please text/hit me up on 07043339139 or reply to this post with an address to the cyber cafe anywhere in lagos, I am willing to travel. Thanks in advance

I know of one at the Silverbird gallaria. You may have to go with you own laptop though. Its powered by Swift Networks. I hope it helps. Lets know what your experience is after using any of it.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by jason2010(m): 6:04pm On May 05, 2011
@bracelet. Thanks a lot. Definitely checking it out tomorrow. I appreciate the 411. Will let you guys know how it turns out
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by omoola007(m): 6:10pm On May 05, 2011
Just started using MOBITEL around Dolphin are not BAD. its fairly fast and i have the aura (mobile hotspot) which enable s 5 devices simultaneously. good for IPAD, LAPTOP, IPHONE combo and its unlimited/10GB per month at 1mb (that's the claim) we will see but its far faster than my old starcomms and much more flexible. All i do is create a wifi spot and i can allow people to log on and use as i want.

the price is not that bad considering its 24/7 and that flexible.
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by bayo09: 6:17pm On May 05, 2011
In my experience and I've tried a few the Best is Glo but only if you have 3g coverage in your area (blue light)

second surprisingly is Cobranet very stable and decent (and constant) speed but again you must have green light on your modem

so it's all dependent on coverage

you can click my past post history for my experience with Swift!
Re: Is Swift 4g The Best Internet In Lagos by Beambel(m): 6:31pm On May 05, 2011
@jason2010,try free download manager(FDM).It should resume download from where it stopped,after connection is re-estabished

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can My Wireless Keyboard Work With My Pc Without Using An External Receiver? / Site To Download Free Yoruba Music / Pls How Do I Check My Internet Balance On Glo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.