Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? (243123 Views)

Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola. / I Want To Write A Resignation Letter / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 10:42am On Jun 17, 2017
ivandragon:

OK. was about replying your other mention when I saw this.

she probably doesn't work with the FG or a properly structured organisation, so I guess she can be excused.
In a situation whereby your 7 days casual leave has been exhausted, can permission to travel stands in for that? And in your organization is distance learning program and part time the same ?

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by oluwoleife: 10:58am On Jun 17, 2017
SisiKill1:
The kinda letter you write depends on some factors like . . .

1) Have you already discussed this with your boss and the letter is just a formality or is the letter gonna be the first time your boss knows about your request?

2) How long will you be gone? If it's more than a day. . .
       - Who is gonna take over your responsibilities while you are gone?
       - Are you gonna make yourself available (via phone or email) to that person?

3) Is this an unpaid leave of absence?

Anyhoo, this is a very generic sample

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I would like to request a leave of absence from work on [insert date] to take a very important exam. I will return to work on [insert date]
Please let me know if I can provide any further information or if you have any questions.
Thank you very much for your consideration in providing me with this opportunity for personal leave.
Sincerely,
Your Name

Wait. . . Are you in Nigeria? If you are then thats a different ball game entirely.

The letter should go something like this. . .

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
I want to use your father's head to beg you for a leave of absence from work in order to take an exam. I will return to work [insert date] and I will make sure i worker harder than a donkey to make up for the missed day.

Attached are copies of my receipt, the venue, time and the invigilator's name, address and phone. . . evidence that I am truly taking an exam and not trying to play hooky. If you need anything else like my right arm, I'm more than ready to provide it. . .anything to show how much I need this leave of absence.

May God/Allah bless you and your family as you consider my request.

Than you sir. May you continue to go forward and upwards in all your endeavors.

God Bless
Your name

PS
I wrote this letter on my knees

NB
The second letter was written tongue in cheek oh. . .please don't use it. cheesy
Attach your examination time table or notice
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by ivandragon: 11:09am On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

In a situation whereby your 7 days casual leave has been exhausted, can permission to travel stands in for that? And in your organization is distance learning program and part time the same ?

depends on what you are travelling for. if its official, you only need to notify your HoU/HoD & you would be granted permission.

also, if its to attend say a relevant conference/seminar, you can also be allowed to travel without it affecting any of the stated leaves.

furthermore, internal arrangements can always be made with your boss/supervisor who can cover up for you. this is common in very large organisations & of course government work.

for staff running academic programmes, we have what we call day release approval & part time approvals.

day release approvals is a type of study leave that allows you run full time academic programmes by taking a day or 2 per week off work for the duration of the programme. no other permission is needed as long as you have that approval, but you have to liaise properly with your boss so work is not affected.

part time release is for part time admissions. no off day from work except when you take exam leave. but your supervisor can allow you take a day off based on internal arrangement...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by delishpot: 12:18pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nice helping op out.

grin grin Please remove the God and Allah bless you part. I do not take those kinds of things to be necessary in formal letters unless you dey write to a religious body. This helper ( SisiKill1 ) don know say Nigerians like to hear God bless you and plenty prayers before dem help people. Sisikill you can not come and go and kill me with laugh o grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 2:30pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

Please on that leave of absence is it applicable to a woman who is newly married but the husband resides abroad?
it's for a married woman (doesn't matter how long they've been married) whose husband gets a Nigerian govt appointment abroad like ambassador or military attache
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
it's for a married woman (doesn't matter how long they've been married) whose husband gets a Nigerian govt appointment abroad like ambassador or military attache
I understand , that means its not applicable for those whose husband resides abroad for his own private arrangement or business.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

in my organisation, if u exhaust your annual leave and your 7 days casual leave and still have need for casual leave, you write to HR. They will permit you and deduct it from your next year's annual leave
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

I understand , that means its not applicable for those whose husband resides abroad for his own private arrangement or business.
no. Only for govt appointment

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 2:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
no. Only for govt appointment
Thanks, but what advise do you have for a spinster whose fiance resides abroad and they want to settle down, but she has no intention of resigning, can she apply for full time study leave, in order to meet her spouse or is the study leave limited to only Nigeria institutions? NB based on civil service and not private organisations.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 2:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

Thanks, but what advise do you have for a spinster whose fiance resides abroad and they want to settle down, but she has no intention of resigning, can she apply for full time study leave, in order to meet her spouse or is the study leave limited to only Nigeria institutions? NB based on civil service and not private organisations.
in my organisation, if u have worked for 3 years, you can go on study leave without pay anywhere in the world. U have to secure admission before applying. If you have worked for 5 years, you can go for study leave with pay in any uni in Nigeria, but without pay in any uni outside Nigeria.
My organisation is a federal govt parastatal. We follow public service rules with some amendments.
I'm sure it applies in civil service as well. If u have worked for up 3 years, u can take study leave and stay with ur husband for 1 year.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 3:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
in my organisation, if u have worked for 3 years, you can go on study leave without pay anywhere in the world. U have to secure admission before applying. If you have worked for 5 years, you can go for study leave with pay in any uni in Nigeria, but without pay in any uni outside Nigeria.
My organisation is a federal govt parastatal. We follow public service rules with some amendments.
I'm sure it applies in civil service as well. If u have worked for up 3 years, u can take study leave and stay with ur husband for 1 year.
But why one year? And what of above ten years and the person wants to study abroad is that person not entitled to his full pay too?
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 3:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
In the issue of maternity leave can a woman be granted to stay outside the country for it?
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 4:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

In the issue of maternity leave can a woman be granted to stay outside the country for it?
of course, 4 months maternity, the lady can spend it anywhere in the world.
Only to travel outside Nigeria, in my organisation, u have to apply for permission to travel abroad. State what u are going for and for how long. Many of my female colleagues give birth abroad and stay there till the end of their maternity leave
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 4:35pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

But why one year? And what of above ten years and the person wants to study abroad is that person not entitled to his full pay too?
After 5 years, it's study leave with pay. But we stopped with pay abroad because many employees abscond from there. Masters is 1 yr. And PhD 3 yrs
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 4:35pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
of course, 4 months maternity, the lady can spend it anywhere in the world.
Only to travel outside Nigeria, in my organisation, u have to apply for permission to travel abroad. State what u are going for and for how long. Many of my female colleagues give birth abroad and stay there till the end of their maternity leave
Which organisation is that? Pardon my inquisitiveness.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
After 5 years, it's study leave with pay. But we stopped with pay abroad because many employees abscond from there. Masters is 1 yr. And PhD 3 yrs
Its like you are grounded in the admin department very well.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

Which organisation is that? Pardon my inquisitiveness.
am sorry can't reveal. But applies to many federal govt parastatals, with some modifications
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 4:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

Its like you are grounded in the admin department very well.
have worked for more 10 years. And the policies are so clear to us
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 4:52pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
am sorry can't reveal. But applies to many federal govt parastatals, with some modifications
I can guess but don't worry all the same thanks for giving me your time and clarifying some issues which I personally can't confide with some of my colleagues as that may unnecessary suspecting me of something which I may not even be thinking.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 5:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkemdi89:

I can guess but don't worry all the same thanks for giving me your time and clarifying some issues which I personally can't confide with some of my colleagues as that may unnecessary suspecting me of something which I may not even be thinking.
Spend me PM message, let's discuss offline
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by nkemdi89(f): 7:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
Unimaginable123:
Spend me PM message, let's discuss offline
Done.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by AlphaT1(m): 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2017
jagugu88li:
I am 100% sure I am right. For example, its my first time hearing about casual leave, but I am familiar with Vacational leave, Family responsibility leave, study leave and outbound emergency leave. It is only outbound that one writes a letter for, for they only informed their superiors on the morning they were actually absent on. Even then, they write it on thier return. If "casual leave" applies to only exams, are you then not permitted to go for emergency classes?
Guide me again.

For your perusal.

Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 3:56pm On Jun 18, 2017
nkemdi89:

Done.
can't access my mail at the moment pls. Can u give ur email?
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by vatiqan(m): 11:14am On Jun 19, 2017
I bet, you paid a mercenary to write your wasce.
Re: How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam? by Unimaginable123: 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2017
nkemdi89:

Done.
sorry for my late response. A nairalander will PM u. Pls accept, it's on my behalf

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Paying Company In Nigeria? / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.