Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,917 members, 7,810,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Best Paying Company In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Best Paying Company In Nigeria? (243588 Views)

Top 10 Best Paying Organization In Nigeria. / Oil And Gas, Best Paying Industry Anywhere In D World / Best Paying Professional Career In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by dearie(m): 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2006
Highest Paying Company

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the highest paying company for entry levels. Just curious.

Which company or organisation do you think it is? Please be specific.

And what do you think the figure is?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by hotangel2(f): 11:54pm On Jul 16, 2006
I think it's NNPC or PPMC. (One is a subsidary of the other).

Anyways, i think after that it's STandard Trust Bank.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 1:00am On Jul 17, 2006
I
hot-angel:

I think it's NNPC or PPMC. (One is a subsidary of the other).

Anyways, i think after that it's STandard Trust Bank.

I seriously doubt that any of those companies pay as much as Mobil or Shell. Infact, I think I am quite sure NNPC does not pay that much for entry level. Like all govt owned establishments, the money starts to come when you have reached a certain level.

I would say oil companies pay the most and i think mobil pays the most out of oil companies. Companies with high salaries are Nigeria LNG, Shell, Mobil and Totalfinaelf.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Zahymaka(m): 5:14am On Jul 17, 2006
When I left Nigeria, oil companies paid the most. Somebody's slightly off the mark:

There's some debate as to which of Chevron or LNG pays more so I'll put them at the top. After that is Shell, then any others.

3 Likes

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 5:24am On Jul 17, 2006
I heard Chevron pays da most and even ELF kiss

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 17, 2006
The highest paying company is chevron i doubt if LNG is the higest because it is owned by Shell,AGIP,ELF the company will have a harmonized salary of this companies.The order is:
1chevron
2Shell
3Mobil
4Elf
5Agip
Mobil can't be the highest payig did'nt u hear n d news d workers were about 2 go on strike because they were getting about 70% of what other oil companies were paying and demanded more than 20% increase n salary.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 8:12am On Jul 17, 2006
Zahymaka:

When I left Nigeria, oil companies paid the most. Somebody's slightly off the mark:

There's some debate as to which of Chevron or LNG pays more so I'll put them at the top. After that is Shell, then any others.

Doubt if i am off the mark cause a couple of my friends are just moving back to Nigeria to start work with these companies and the highest salary I have heard so far has been with Mobil. Shell is offering the least salary I have heard but pple argue that they take better care of you and have a better career which might be why Shell might not feel the need to pay the highest salary. I am 100% sure LNG is definitely not the highest paying, as someone said it is owned by NNPC and some other oil companies but run by Shell. I know for a fact that Shell does not pay the highest in the oil company as I have been told by my many family that work there but as I said earlier they offer a great career opportunity. Am not too sure bout Chevron and Agip so won't comment bout those ones.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 17, 2006
By the way, the news of he mobil workers going on strike in vanguard over pay was about 1 or 2 years ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by owo(m): 10:53am On Jul 17, 2006
Certainly, the highest paying company in Nigeria (for entry level) is not an oil company.

Look elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Zahymaka(m): 10:53am On Jul 17, 2006
I've met both LNG workers and Shell workers, and I can attest that LNG workers 'enjoy' more.

Let me tell you what happens in these oil companies. They pay you according to the Nigerian market or they'd have a string of Nigerian millionaires. People'd just walk in, stay for five years and then leave.

These foreign companies definitely will not pay according to what is earned back home because of the different markets. I ffor example, you netted $50,000 per year [dismal for an oil worker by American standards], you'd get about 6.5 million Naira per year which isn't too good for the economy [there'd be too much money in circulation].

LNG's activities are really restricted to Bonny and they pay heavily because of the risks.

Now, are you suggesting because Shell pays their workers a certain amount, LNG shouldn't be able to pay more? Trust me, they can afford it. There's a lot of profit here -- cheap labour, lots of sulfur-free oil and imagine what they make when it's shipped to other parts of the world. . .

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Mystique(f): 11:57am On Jul 17, 2006
The highest paying for entry level (Oil Company) is Chevron, followed by Shell, but na world cup to get job for there. sad

The highest paying for telecomms is Globacom, while the banking sector is Oceanic bank (for now) smiley
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Badman888(m): 1:02pm On Jul 17, 2006
I think Mobil should be higher than shell in ur list, those guys dont pay as much as mobil, chevron, but its definately the oil companies that pay high,

2 Likes

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 3:51pm On Jul 17, 2006
with connection, can sum1 get a job in Chevron?

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by igbonla(m): 6:47pm On Jul 17, 2006

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Rottweiler(m): 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2006
Some banks pay higher than some oil companies when the comparison is on the basis of monthly take home. But in between, there are several huge lumpsum payments that are made like: Rent, Security, Vehicle grant, Vehicle maintenance, generator maintenance, Fuel subsidy, market performance, Clothing, Education assistance, etc.

Another point to note is that the banking industry does not operate a pension scheme. Once a banker retires, at whatever age, he's paid off once and for all.

There is an annual union/management negotiation in the oil industry and the benchmark is always the highest paying company. This means that SHELL can lead this year but another company will take over the following depending on the outcome of its negotiations. The present order is: SHELL, ELF, MOBIL, CHEVRON, AGIP,

NNPC, NAPIMS, DPR, PETROCHEMICAL are more or less in the civil service category.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 8:56pm On Jul 17, 2006
@igbonla , 10x for replying. I am not interested in oil company per se because am gonna graduate next year with a POLS. SCI. degree
Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by k9(m): 3:18am On Jul 18, 2006
schlumberger

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Viper(m): 11:30am On Jul 18, 2006
Cyber cafes pay best cheesy

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by pfowighz(m): 11:34am On Jul 18, 2006
Can someone please add actual or average values.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2006
pfowighz:

Can someone please add actual or average values.
Heard Mobil pays a basic monthly salary of N350,000

2 Likes

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by texazzpete(m): 12:56pm On Jul 18, 2006
the rankings are:
1. Mobil ( how anyone can contest this is beyond my imagination. they are d best paid by a sizable margin)
2. LNG
3. Shell & Chevron (comparable, at about the same level)

and then the rest!!

How anyone can opine that banks may pay higher than oil companies is also a mystery. except, of course ure talking about NNPC basic and some of the smaller oil servicing firms.

BTW, Shell Entry level salary is approx 300k after tax (monthly). basic of 260k.

Hotstepper:

with connection, can someone get a job in Chevron?

No connections r gonna help u get into Shell or Chevron if u ain't got the brains and if u haven't proven. Mobil on the other hand, well, we hear stories,

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by somebody(f): 1:23pm On Jul 18, 2006
texazzpete:

the rankings are:
1. Mobil ( how anyone can contest this is beyond my imagination. they are d best paid by a sizable margin)
Thank you texazzpete, everyone seems to think Shell pays better for some reason. Saying that, the salary is not all that matters when choosing a company to work for. Other factors like international career opportunities, career progression would need to considered and in that case, Mobil might not come up tops but they definitely pay better than Shell and other oil companies. And yeah Zahymaka also mentioned that NLG employees enjoy more than Shell employees, an LNG employee also told me that. But that does not automatically translate to LNG paying better than Shell.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Kurunmi(m): 1:42pm On Jul 18, 2006
Well to add my bit, shell does pay better than Mobil but the payment thing gets confusing reson being that all the oil majors have a different cycle for their pay negotiations with their respective managements and the yard stick for increase is based on industry average. The reason why Mobil is not the highest paying is cos they lag behind in negotiations, currently they are about third or second base but by the end of the year when Shell, Chevron and the others have had their pay negotiations they will be in about fourth place. Shell has a commitment from their management to always be not lower that the second highest in the industry, Chevron and Elf because of their strong unions are also one of the top payers, Elf in particular is always between 1st and 2nd position. So on the average it is somewhat like Chevron/elf, Shell, Mobil, this is based on total package including allowances not just basic salary.

Another crucial factor is the salary level on this note the Mobil structure as more levels that Shell and Chevron, hence the entry level is kind of lower and off cause the pay is lower.

But in general the oil majors do not compare to some oil service companies like Schlumberger (especially of you are an international staff and you ar paid in dollars, not counting offshore allowances and the others). Some nigerian based staff pay is equally good if not better than the producers.

As for getting in with connection, any where in the world if you know the right person you will get it but for all the all companies in Niger now, there is the merit channel which includes the numerous test and interviews and you can get in through this if you are good enough but mind you it is tough competition cause you have the best in engineering, sciences, financial services and IT from Nigeria, UK and US schools competing with candidates having 2:1, 1st, masters, Phd, professional qualifications etc and these are not just paper degrees these guys and ladies have got the stuff.

Like mentioned before other factors come in like career progression, development, international postings etc and these vary fro company to company and by discipline, some comapnies value their geoscientist more while others value the reservoir engrs or facilities engrs more.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by zebudaya(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2006
good post kurunmi

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Rhea(f): 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2006
Rottweiler:

Some banks pay higher than some oil companies when the comparison is on the basis of monthly take home. But in between, there are several huge lumpsum payments that are made like: Rent, Security, Vehicle grant, Vehicle maintenance, generator maintenance, Fuel subsidy, market performance, Clothing, Education assistance, etc.

Another point to note is that the banking industry does not operate a pension scheme. Once a banker retires, at whatever age, he's paid off once and for all.

There is an annual union/management negotiation in the oil industry and the benchmark is always the highest paying company. This means that SHELL can lead this year but another company will take over the following depending on the outcome of its negotiations. The present order is: SHELL, ELF, MOBIL, CHEVRON, AGIP,

NNPC, NAPIMS, DPR, PETROCHEMICAL are more or less in the civil service category.

spoken like an insider cool

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by texazzpete(m): 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2006
still maintain mobil pays higher than shell, but i wouldnt trade it for all d world. There's all sorts of benefits you get in shell and chevron. the shell free medicals & flights for you and ur entire family cannot be beaten.

Schlumberger international mobile staff are far better paid, being pad in dollars and all, but then again they can't be said to fall under the scope of Nigerian jobs, can they? The Nigerian workers earn slightly less than the major oil companies.

Bottom line is, Oil companies pay well. period!

Not too sure if i agree with the general consensus about connection. At least as far as Shell Nigeria's SITP programme merit is definitely the main thing. Chevron's tests are even more murderous. damn thing's prolly the only thing ive ever failed in my life, grin

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 3:12pm On Jul 18, 2006
I know of sum1 that finished his MASTERS in UK and got a job at ELF without no interview or anything

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by maki(f): 3:34pm On Jul 18, 2006
did you guys forget
slumberger and halliburton

they are mouth watering companies tongue

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2006
These oil companies have contracted people to set exams for them, if you say Chevron is hard, Man, Mobil was my first and I believe 1998 jamb was derived from it.

All oil company exams are hard. A friend says Shell is the Hardest, I'd say Mobil, now you say Chevron. Let's say all are hard.

The highest paying, I do believe, is Mobil.

The least paying, well Asian Factories, Pure Water Factories and co.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Zahymaka(m): 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2006
maki:

did you guys forget
slumberger and halliburton

they are mouth watering companies tongue

Strike Halliburton off the list angry. My Dad worked there for ten years and I know he nets less than his fellows in Mobil. In fact, Mobil and the other companies use Halliburton when they want to cut costs in offshore drilling.

As for Schlumberger, I don't think you can compare them with even NNPC.

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by clocky(m): 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2006
The differences in salaries amongst the oil companies is very minimal. While some definatley pay more than others the difference annually at the end of the day is just a couple of thousands of naira. So what difference does it make. I would basically clasify all of them that is Mobil, Shell, Chevron ,LNG as paying the same.

However i dont think the highest paying companies in Nigeria can be determined easily because there are lots of small companies that pay far higher than most oil companies

1 Like

Re: Best Paying Company In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2006
@clocky, true talk, people alwayz think oil companies pay more than others and as you said, there r other small compaines and private owned maybe that pays more. for example, 2 weeks ago, a familyfriend of mine went back to Nigeria cuz she got a job at diz business company, I think it is privatey owned and shez gonna be paid 10 million annually with car and house as per relocating 4rom Canada and she just finished her MBA in diz June

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? / Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.