Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,891 members, 7,828,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. (29677 Views)

Is It Advisable For A 21 Year Old To Study A 5 Year Course? / Study A Master In International Management At IUBH, Work In Germany / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by AlphaMajestic: 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2020
lekki1444:
this is just a black mans way of looking at things. if you study biochemistry why will you be looking for a job ? lets dissect it. biochemistry is the study of the chemical components of all biological entities and so if i study biochemistry why can i not alter the chemical components of say a fruit or a vegetable and create another more potent product that will make me a billionaire ?

My brother thank you so much for this ur comment..it brought so much relief to me because i was beginning to believe that everyone here is ignorant...

People have always been making wrong choices right from time even in the most developed part of the world, or you think there are no poor people in America who are poor cos of thier career choice, the op that typed this thing is really confused to say that students shouldn't study what they like instead they go to high labour bla bla bla..my brother the major secret about life has always been for one to find thier natural God given talent/passion thats all..even if its to study languages or physical education..just try be the best of what it is

Karleb:
According to this Link Nigeria's unemployment rate is 27.1 percent while Nigeria's under-employment rate is 28.6 percent. That is, more than 50 percent of Nigerians are either completely unemployed or grossly underemployed (they get paid little for doing so much).

If you are Nigerian student hoping to further in any tertiary institution of your choice, do not study a course just because you like it.

The only reason why you should study any course should be because of its employability rate. Ask yourself, if I study Biochemistry for example, will I get a job. How many people in the past few years have gotten a biochemistry job?

Jambites are found of going to school to study courses with fancy names but many of these courses won't get you a job or a well paid job after graduation.

Another mistake Jambites make is rushing for Medicine, Law, Accountancy and other courses in their leagues. Why would apply for medicine when you know you'll probably never meet up with the cut of mark? Let's be candid, a high percentage of Nigerian student are average (including myself). It will be absolute foolishness (for a lack of better word) if an average student keep wasting their precious years in search of admission into law.

There are other non-celebrated courses out there that'll fetch you money, Computer Science, Music, Food and Nutrition amongst others fall into this category.

Gone are the days when a certificate guarantees a job. These days what guarantee you a job as a graduate (or anybody else) is connection, your money or your skill.

Most people don't have money to buy a job, most are not connected but most people can have a skill that'll make them financially independent and that is what you as a student should leverage on before becoming a graduate.

Learn a skill that'll fetch you money.

Regards,
A concerned unemployed graduate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 5:38pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
Just STFU , Engineering is still lucrative though but it depends on what you learnt and your skills
He jst spoke de gospel truth.
Most mechanical engineering graduate I knw are either jobless or receiving peanut as salary. Oil company work don de saturated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Jonasbadoo2(f): 5:46pm On Nov 10, 2020
vickydevoka:

He jst spoke de gospel truth.
Most mechanical engineering graduate I knw are either jobless or receiving peanut as salary. Oil company work don de saturated
Engineering doesn't apply to only Mechanical ,it has over 9 depts so next time be specific ..
Even on Mech eng if you have good skills ,you will still get a good pay cos mech is needed almost everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by wman(m): 5:49pm On Nov 10, 2020
Study what you like and get a very good grade.

Get extra certifications and learn a high paying skill if possible.

You can work anywhere regardless of your course of study.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 5:49pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
Engineering doesn't apply to only Mechanical ,it has over 9 depts so next time be specific ..
Even on Mech eng if you have good skills ,you will still get a good pay cos mech is needed almost everywhere
Please wat can of skill do mechanical guys need. Bcus most of Dem end u been a programmer
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by vickydevoka(m): 5:50pm On Nov 10, 2020
Jonasbadoo2:
Please wat can of skill do mechanical guys need. Bcus most of Dem end u been a programmer.
Or de end up doing i.t or data base stuff
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Jonasbadoo2(f): 5:54pm On Nov 10, 2020
vickydevoka:

Please wat can of skill do mechanical guys need. Bcus most of Dem end u been a programmer.
Or de end up doing i.t or data base stuff
The most important thing is to choose your niche ,be an expert in a particular subfield there if possible and also have plans to travel out and enhance yourself further if possible ..Every course is viable everywhere just that Nigeria is not working

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Cetacean419: 6:33pm On Nov 10, 2020
yoged:
don't be mislead. We have more than 200 artiste in Nigeria. Out of which 20 are making it . The rest are into shady deals like crime , drugs and fraud. Just hiding under music.
Oh you think those their songs can stand the test of time?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by iyke4(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2020
Sunkyapogee:

Are you sure?

Lol, till you graduate bro, I got plenty urp friends
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by TheManOfTheYear: 7:22pm On Nov 10, 2020
tarantino1:

Lol
You're very naive. This comment is hilarious
You're the naive one here though

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Anakan(m): 7:47pm On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

Ask yourself, how many Economics graduates you know have gotten a well paid job as an Economist in the last 5 years.

That'll answer your question.

This is the most myopic response I have ever seen in ages...!!!

ECONOMICS!!!??

When Folks talk about lucrative careers and exclude Economist out of it, I just shake my head in disgust..
For the record those unemployed economist are probably people who either didn't do well in school and never mirrored this study into the physical world as an Economist you can work anywhere, IOCs(as HRs, Administrators), Banks, NGOs to mention a few..

Please do appreciate researching before responding to some questions.. no offense..
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Sunkyapogee(m): 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2020
iyke4:

Lol, till you graduate bro, I got plenty urp friends
what more can I say ...my case is different.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:09pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ishiewo:
Chai!! Which means no hope for me, because I'm already in 100 level
your story may be different
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hahjascho(m): 8:14pm On Nov 10, 2020
Skye123:

Bro pls, what are the marketable courses in this country? I'm already studying microbiology. My sis shouldn't make the mistake I made
You never made mistake...make the best out of the course you're studying.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Hahjascho(m): 8:20pm On Nov 10, 2020
Herbephe1:
biochemistry! this one weakens my bone! initially I was doubting of going for medical lab despite the fact that it remains 2½ years to complete my bsc in biochemistry
Make the best out of the course.... just before you graduate.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Abcruz(m): 8:23pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ishiewo:

There's hope if you can utilize this period in learning any marketable skill.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Colb461: 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:

Baba no level even after master, na to japa now
that the Bleep up country one find him self a times,wishing you luck man
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by harbeebski(m): 12:36am On Nov 11, 2020
people hardly talk about public health science.. I'm currently an undergraduate in my penultimate tho
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by harbeebski(m): 12:42am On Nov 11, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Everywhere onion...
Izz like onion is the new Bitcoin truly...
I'm studying Law tho
please is public health science marketable in Nigeria?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by harbeebski(m): 12:43am On Nov 11, 2020
lekki1444:
this is just a black mans way of looking at things. if you study biochemistry why will you be looking for a job ? lets dissect it. biochemistry is the study of the chemical components of all biological entities and so if i study biochemistry why can i not alter the chemical components of say a fruit or a vegetable and create another more potent product that will make me a billionaire ?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by lekki1444: 1:03am On Nov 11, 2020
harbeebski:

Anything is marketable. it all depends on if you are capable of thinking outside the box

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Desmondum: 1:48am On Nov 11, 2020
galantjoe:
Based on my 15years practical experience during job interviews on what employers really want, the following courses if well studied can always fetch you food on your table.
1. Medicine and surgery
2. Pharmacy, becoming certified
3. Law and becoming barrister
4. BSc nursing and having RN
5. Accountancy, becoming chartered or knowing your onion.
6. Computer science, knowing your onion
7. Computer engr. Knowing your onion.
8. Civil, machanical, chemical engineering, knowing your onion
9. Architecture,
10. Applied art
11. Music
12. Food science, technology, nutrition and dietetics
13. Actuarial science
14. Mathematics with finance/IT or applied maths with options computing, finance, analytics, etc
15. Physics with options in practical Engineering, technology, mechanics, electronics, computing, IT, ETC.
16. Chemistry with option in. Practical engineering, paint production, industrial uses, etc.
17. Education options in English, local languages, science education, technology, etc.

Only Medicine and Nursing really worth it among the listed. There's one useful course u didn't add - Business Administration/Management ( tho, the field is highly populated, causing some sort of setback)

Pharmacy and Food sc/Nutrition- these can work if only u have money for establishment on ur own.

As for computer science/IT related... good, but its market is falling already as a result of millions of people heading in just one direction.

From my experience tho, no course is useless, it's just the harsh situation our leaders has put this country as a result of their selfishness.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by eddyvicky001: 2:21am On Nov 11, 2020
Science laboratory technology should be added to the list too cool cool cool
Meanwhile I won't discourage anybody from the course he or she is studying
What matters is how u use what you have learned to make money
All the courses listed there I have seen and met one of two people who studied those courses (medicine included too) who are unemployed or had to pay a heavy amount of money to get employed
Infact if you look at it from another angle no matter how big ur salary is IT IS ALWAYS NOT ENOUGH IN NIGERIA
Shalom
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ishiewo: 4:11am On Nov 11, 2020
Abcruz:

There's hope if you can utilize this period in learning any marketable skill.
I'm currently learning how to lay tiles; can it help?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by adetayoonas(m): 5:13am On Nov 11, 2020
6 Most lucrative courses to study

Medicine and surgery 8 years
Pharmacy 6 years
Nursing 4 years
Medical laboratory science/Technology 4 or 5 years
Architecture 6 years
Computer and information Technology 4 or 5 years
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by galantjoe(m): 5:53am On Nov 11, 2020
Desmondum:
Only Medicine and Nursing really worth it among the listed. There's one useful course u didn't add - Business Administration/Management ( tho, the field is highly populated, causing some sort of setback)

Pharmacy and Food sc/Nutrition- these can work if only u have money for establishment on ur own.

As for computer science/IT related... good, but its market is falling already as a result of millions of people heading in just one direction.

From my experience tho, no course is useless, it's just the harsh situation our leaders has put this country as a result of their selfishness.

I wanted to put Business Admin, I stepped back, because the graduates are not inclined to practiced a lot of wonderful potentials inculcated into them. After reviewing the curriculum for business admin, I was wow to see the wonderful blend of courses like cost and mgt accounting, data processing and IT, Busines laws, etc in practical ways.

I will conclude to say that in all business/management sciences, business admin and accountancy are summarized them. Others are subcourses of either of them.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by oofjm: 6:23am On Nov 11, 2020
one thing some of you don't get is that sometimes u over hyped some courses and underrate some courses and vice versa...infact let me ask a question is a medical doctor rich in Nigeria? it is just a passion and they are trying to save other people lives...have you seen someone who studied estate management,architecture,building,special education,accounting,marketing that are making millions...infact I have someone closer to me who is just have hnd in estate management,this dude is making millions from property management...infact from your 100level or 200level as an undergraduate u have to begin to think outside the box...learn skills,connect your self with any liable business as possible...be friends with people with entrepreneurship mind...but na that time they the carry relationship matter for head and b4 they could realize it they have graduated from school with nothing to show.no savings of any kind,nothing
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Abcruz(m): 8:07am On Nov 11, 2020
Ishiewo:
I'm currently learning how to lay tiles; can it help?

Of course that's a good step in the right direction.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ishiewo: 8:36am On Nov 11, 2020
Abcruz:

Of course that's a good step in the right direction.
Thanks, boss. I was given an option to choose between learning electrical work and laying tile. Hope I made the right choice considering the fact that I'm an undergraduate.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 11:06am On Nov 11, 2020
Ishiewo:
Thanks, boss. I was given an option to choose between learning electrical work and laying tile. Hope I made the right choice considering the fact that I'm an undergraduate.

Electrical work pay more but tiling isn't bad.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Eyisfun3: 2:14pm On Nov 11, 2020
Ishiewo:

My dear is just about your personal belief don't let anyone bring you down. We still have people who studied what he listed and are still not doing well in does field. Have faith that you we be among those that will do well in your chosen career . Economics is not a bad course at all because am a living testimony.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

El-Rufai Fires 16 KASU Lecturers For Participating In NLC Protest In Kaduna / How Old Were You When You Graduated From Secondary School? / Nigerian Students In Sudan Awaiting Evacuation (Video/Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.