Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. (29570 Views)

Is It Advisable For A 21 Year Old To Study A 5 Year Course? / Study A Master In International Management At IUBH, Work In Germany / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Preshob(m): 10:38am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

I used to get emotional just like him because truth is bitter.

A passion that cannot put food on your table in this present Nigeria is useless.

Just imagine Lawyers now earning 30k even corps members earn more than that.

Doctors are now getting underpaid.

I seriously feel like punching somebody! angry

You sound very incoherent and you keep contradicting your stance.....where exactly do you stand??
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Degrezhaa: 10:42am On Nov 10, 2020
bluefilm:

You know what...?

I am not here to correct your pessimistic and defeatist views because doing that with you will go on and on and nothing will be achieved at the end of the day.

Truth is that whatever you believe in is what works for you.

If you believe that you cannot raise capital to start your own business, fine.

If you think you can, fine.

Whatever you choose to do with your life is fine with me.

Mind you, even those that read the so called hot cake courses are also struggling to find a place in the job market so as you can see, studying a particular course to get a certificate to improve your employability is not even a guarantee in our world today.

There are many ways to raise a capital to start your business.

If your brain is so soft that you cannot even think of at least one way of raising capital for your own business, then I advise you to start thinking now because thinking is supposed to be one of the skills you should have developed while in school.

Lest I forget, the only reason why I pointed out the option of agriculture is simply because I am of the opinion that instead of focusing on just one way of earning the bread, one can actually diversify.

If you believe that your certificate is the ONLY way to guarantee you earning some bread in life, then that's your own cup of tea.
Well said......
I believe diversifying ways in which one source out money is very crucial..
In a country like Nigeria having one stream of income is a bad idea and relying on your certificate to get a job or be employed is also not advisable.

Thinking outside the box and creating a job for yourself is what is lacking in most Nigerian youths, most of them rely on government to create jobs for them. That's why we have a lot of unemployed youths roaming about..
We need to change that mentality

(Your signature though ' is the pure truth')
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Onnasucs1(m): 10:43am On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

I used to get emotional just like him because truth is bitter.

A passion that cannot put food on your table in this present Nigeria is useless.

Just imagine Lawyers now earning 30k even corps members earn more than that.

Doctors are now getting underpaid.

I seriously feel like punching somebody! angry
My brother everything has gone totally south. There seem to be no hope for Nigeria. Thinking of all these makes me sick
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Amonijosh1: 10:46am On Nov 10, 2020
Thing is, we nigerians are not creative. Must you look for a job? think of creating jobs please.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Cetacean419: 10:49am On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:

This is one of the reasons for unemployment in Nigeria. We have the orientation of being job seekers but not job creators. Another problem is that the view people who are interested in creating jobs don't have the financial capacity. Government have been given us capital in the media but not in reality.

To drastically reduce unemployment in Nigeria, government should borrow one million youths one million naira each. Loan not grant.
I remembered when we asked to tender my Agriculture plan, the only thing they gave me was 150k free. They do give free. Last year I was given 500k by BOI to start my storage business. All you need is a solid Idea shikina.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by tamra(f): 10:52am On Nov 10, 2020
galantjoe:
Based on my 15years practical experience during job interviews on what employers really want, the following courses if well studied can always fetch you food on your table.
1. Medicine and surgery
2. Pharmacy, becoming certified
3. Law and becoming barrister
4. BSc nursing and having RN
5. Accountancy, becoming chartered or knowing your onion.
6. Computer science, knowing your onion
7. Computer engr. Knowing your onion.
8. Civil, machanical, chemical engineering, knowing your onion
9. Architecture,
10. Applied art
11. Music
12. Food science, technology, nutrition and dietetics
13. Actuarial science
14. Mathematics with finance/IT or applied maths with options computing, finance, analytics, etc
15. Physics with options in practical Engineering, technology, mechanics, electronics, computing, IT, ETC.
16. Chemistry with option in. Practical engineering, paint production, industrial uses, etc.
17. Education options in English, local languages, science education, technology, etc.

How marketable is linguistics?

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Junior66(m): 10:55am On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:
""Jambites are found of going to school to study courses with fancy names but many of these courses won't get you a job or a well paid job after graduation."' You have said my mind. I have never seen someone who studied Biochemistry or Microbiology getting full employment. They usually end up as unqualified Teachers in private schools.

Many of them work in labs, some even have their labs.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Schoolshoe: 10:55am On Nov 10, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
And a person who didn't study music in university can do all that.
a non musical graduate wouldn't be able to do all that. Music is wider than you thought. He/she might be able to do a little, but not professionally or deep.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Cetacean419: 11:04am On Nov 10, 2020
If you study Any allied Agriculture field like Animal Husbandry,Vet med, Animal science, Fishery etc. Going to the Financial field ain't gonna be a big problem.
My Vet works with Immigration(170k + 300k at least he earns high) Just 27 and he is a big boy. Got his Clinic and also goes on weekly round on Abbatoirs.
To me the field that make you even have a stipend even when Life goes tough is Agriculture especially Crops and Storage.
In engineering you can get Fired. I don't know but engineers in Nigeria are either;
* Programming and Cybersecurity for banks, Computer hub training.
* As Technologists in Some oil companies like shell,schlumberger, Chevron oil etc.
* As Foremen,Supervisors, Local contractors in Buildings
* Higher Institutions as Lecturers.
I dislike NSE with all my life for their fraud.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ablyz(m): 11:07am On Nov 10, 2020
electrical and electronic engr course or any engineering courses is a course you can be jobless in nigeria
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 10, 2020
Victor20206:
what about peace and conflict resolution.

grin grin
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by francisbarrack(m): 11:09am On Nov 10, 2020
Amonijosh1:
Thing is, we nigerians are not creative. Must you look for a job? think of creating jobs please.

Not we.... u
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 11:19am On Nov 10, 2020
Canih28:
I chose Geology for next year Now I'm thinking of changing it to Computer science Any hope??
Please change to Computer science and never look back!

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by lasmile(f): 11:22am On Nov 10, 2020
For your ND/HND conversion program to Bsc. Kindly check my siggy
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Missionaire: 11:28am On Nov 10, 2020
Victor20206:
what about peace and conflict resolution.

It is a good course. Same with Criminology and Security Studies.
You can easily become an officer in the military and paramilitary with it.

Even ambassadorial positions sef.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by DHaran: 11:28am On Nov 10, 2020
21cents:
studying geography with a good grade point. what are my chances
Join the Nigerian Army..
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by TefBarzz(m): 11:43am On Nov 10, 2020
Tell your children to study Medicine and Surgery only in a country like Zoogeria.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by thesmallgod(m): 11:52am On Nov 10, 2020
galantjoe:
Based on my 15years practical experience during job interviews on what employers really want, the following courses if well studied can always fetch you food on your table.
1. Medicine and surgery
2. Pharmacy, becoming certified
3. Law and becoming barrister
4. BSc nursing and having RN
5. Accountancy, becoming chartered or knowing your onion.
6. Computer science, knowing your onion
7. Computer engr. Knowing your onion.
8. Civil, machanical, chemical engineering, knowing your onion
9. Architecture,
10. Applied art
11. Music
12. Food science, technology, nutrition and dietetics
13. Actuarial science
14. Mathematics with finance/IT or applied maths with options computing, finance, analytics, etc
15. Physics with options in practical Engineering, technology, mechanics, electronics, computing, IT, ETC.
16. Chemistry with option in. Practical engineering, paint production, industrial uses, etc.
17. Education options in English, local languages, science education, technology, etc.

Remove chemical engineering. That was past glory. I currently hold both bachelor and masters degree in chemical engineering, and yet no Job. Less than 5% of my class mate are working as a chemical engineer

6 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Sunkyapogee(m): 11:55am On Nov 10, 2020
iyke4:

Worst course somebody can ever study, the only place you can work is either as a lecturer or as a member of the planners association
Are you sure?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by jansonn(m): 11:56am On Nov 10, 2020
Op made a lot of sense!! God bless you man!!
Please listen to this very simple advice!!
I spent years of my life trying to get into med school, I'm in 4th year now and ASUU and naija gov no want make I graduate again!! I know it will but worth it though but if getting medicine is q problem for you, abeg apply for nursingBNsc or even school of nursing. Those guys don't lack jobs and it's not really as stressful as it seems!! Don't go and waste time reading biochemical or microb oo, abeg, I dey beg una

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by LovesickG(f): 11:59am On Nov 10, 2020
Ishiewo:
Chai!! Which means no hope for me, because I'm already in 100 level
If it gives you any hope, I am an economist also. Graduated 2018 and I can assure you there are many career prospects for a 'good' graduate of economics. At least, I am a testimony.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Etinosa12345: 12:03pm On Nov 10, 2020
Sysdatek:

anyone reading law now is wasting his time

unless na ESQ title dey hungry you, cause if na guy you be, and no connect, hunger go wire you for years if not decades :-/
leave law for women who fine, at least men go chase them after school cheesy

this our generation of graduates and undergraduates
wahala for who no get any Skills that can put food on their table
cause the way the value of degrees are tanking in this country, hmmm
even people who studied medicine dey complain, even when you find the job, the small 150 or 200, you earn after 9 years studying, responsibility go wipe it

Pls stop reminding me of my mistake

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by bamidele89: 12:05pm On Nov 10, 2020
What about Hotel Management
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ugmama(m): 12:09pm On Nov 10, 2020
Cetacean419:

I will not blame them. Everybody is after Jobs but few people are after creating it. If it was not for the money I had being saving when I was in school I would have been a very broke ass.
I studied engineering but now I am an Agriculturist into livestock and crops. It is a matter of interest sha. All those times money was spent on frivolous things can go into something better like acquiring an asset that wasn't prone to diminishing.
I bought 2 plots of land 2011 inner Lagos for 350k. When I moved to a bigger Land, I sold it for 2.57 million in 2016. You get what I am talking about? Thinking out of the box ain't quantum physics. Now I have my diploma in Agriculture and Livestock Management. There are ups and downs. I know people who studied Horticulture which is supposed to be a branch of Agriculture and they are doing well it is a matter of consistency.
I see some of my mates working in Belema oil, Schlumberger making all sorts millions but they don't have time. I rake over 300k after taxes and salaries have been settled every month. Just upgraded my staff to some 35k and 40k. Agriculture is good since it ain't saturated. The rest courses are subservient.

Bro please can we be friends.

Whatsap me with signature below. Thanks
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Etinosa12345: 12:09pm On Nov 10, 2020
Karlifate:

You remind me of what someone told about a Nigerian painter, that earns £1,500 per month in Austria, apart from other side jobs given to him.

I'm not gonna lie... That money is small
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by galantjoe(m): 12:11pm On Nov 10, 2020
thesmallgod:

Remove chemical engineering. That was past glory. I currently hold both bachelor and masters degree in chemical engineering, and yet no Job. Less than 5% of my class mate are working as a chemical engineer

You can become paint producer, etc. The course is very wonderful. Just think outside employed. You will see you that you re being packaged with alot of potentials
Wish u good luck
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Jiteshell(f): 12:24pm On Nov 10, 2020
Even as you choose a marketable course, go for something you love. You can have a great job and still be miserable. And if you don't choose a course you love in school, you might graduate with bad grades cos there's no passion there.

That said, regardless of what course you take, always take additional skills just in case. Three areas that you can learn easily are some areas of agriculture, programming and digital marketing.

You can take online courses and start you practice and earn even while in school. That way, you can make money and more than survive even while waiting for opportunities in the area you love.

5 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Cetacean419: 12:24pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ugmama:

Bro please can we be friends.

Whatsap me with signature below. Thanks
I rather remain anonymous. It was because of my openess I had to Open my new account and I shall not make that mistake again. Once beaten Twice shy.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by paul100(m): 12:26pm On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

This is tricky to answer.

If she is very brilliant, let her study medicine, pharmacy or nursing.

If she's not a science student, let her study any course she likes but enroll her in a skill acquisition program that will make her independent in the future.

My own sister is into makeup, she also ties gele (Head gear) and she's richer than me and she's a jambite.

I'm currently unemployed though. grin
Is pharmacy ok because so many pharmacy graduates end up opening a small container store some times when I see these categories of pharmacy graduates.I ask myself "is it this small shop that will be feeding 3 to 4 children.May God help us all.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Ugmama(m): 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2020
Cetacean419:

I rather remain anonymous. It was because of my openess I had to Open my new account and I shall not make that mistake again. Once beaten Twice shy.

Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

My School Declared Me Wanted On 10th December. / B.sc In Biochemistry & Masters In Pharmacy Can They Go Together? / Let's Found Out The Most Funniest Nickname We Gave Our SECONDARY Sch Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.