Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. (29715 Views)

Is It Advisable For A 21 Year Old To Study A 5 Year Course? / Study A Master In International Management At IUBH, Work In Germany / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Asadujames202(m): 12:36pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ishiewo:
Chai!! Which means no hope for me, because I'm already in 100 level

100 level

You haven't gone far

I ran away in my 400 levels
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Babastrong(m): 12:40pm On Nov 10, 2020
Op, Kudos for hitting the nail on the head. But as per me i won't advice anybody to study a course because of white coller job out there.
in this current nigeria can you get a job of 300k/month, the chance is narrow.
I studied INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY. After a year of searching for office job, i quit because there was none. I later started the production of "aftershave", "liquid soap". Now i have dived into production of "bar soap" and i have employed two skilled labours and we are making good money.
mind you, i won't advice you to study industrial chemistry if you don't have courage to "swim and sink on your own". Shalom!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Chris2863(m): 12:42pm On Nov 10, 2020
Victor20206:
what about peace and conflict resolution.
Lol, you are making me laugh
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Jacksparrow7(m): 12:54pm On Nov 10, 2020
My cheif...abeg kudos to you
You talk truth. Yes and as a student, you must generate interest for the course. Then when you get a job and start working for few years, you can now go and study that course you liked ( part-time), in case Job comes out abroad.
But still have your skills.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Colb461: 1:02pm On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:

But I regretted not studying medicine if my Dad would spend just a little money and had me enrolled in pre-degree. I'm still angry at him anytime I see my doctor friends. I know where them they now as doctors, one is presently a flying officer(doctor) in the military,same guy when I dey teach then, success in life isn't based on academic excellence. After missing it the first year I switched to engineering because I was good at maths and physics but I actually wanted medicine the fear of writing jamb 5 times is the beginning of wisdom.
but do you regret going for the engineering?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by buchisom1(m): 1:06pm On Nov 10, 2020
Brother stop discouraging people becoz e no work for u no mean e no work for d oder persons and who told u der is no job.. Pple are getting good paid job evryday... If u have the right skills companies will come for u.. I have work for 3 different companies in a space of 6years and i studied business Management. All u need is get d right information and u will get hired simple all dis u pple are talkin connection na mindset.. Pple get job every day without connection.. If u are well informed and God grace on ua side den j good to go.. Learn to start frm d crash den u will grow.. Sm of u pple want to work for big companies whn u dont knw or have any experience or skill to sell... My bro my sister work on yourslf and prayer is the master key.. Dont givup in your belive... U are wat u tink.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by emperorshaokahn(m): 1:12pm On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

You my friend are funny.

Do you know how much a plot of land cost in my village? grin

The question remains:

How do you create a job as a political science graduate without capital ?!

...and your comment brings us back to the reason the thread was created.

Why would one study political science because of passion only to become a farmer post graduation because they needs to make ends meet.

Why didn't such fellow just go with agriculture in the first place?
so na course una wan day blame now for the high level of unemployment in the country?,nigeria is a third world shithole and that is the cause.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 10, 2020
Cetacean419:

I remembered when we asked to tender my Agriculture plan, the only thing they gave me was 150k free. They do give free. Last year I was given 500k by BOI to start my storage business. All you need is a solid Idea shikina.
How can I access these monies please?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by venmotors(m): 1:18pm On Nov 10, 2020
Thank God for my life
I was prepared to write jamb as many times as possible just to get medicine & surgery

Thank God it did not take long
Just ASUU strike delaying us from moving forward

Las las Nigeria matter don tire me

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2020
emperorshaokahn:
so na course una wan day blame now for the high level of unemployment in the country?,nigeria is a third world shithole and that is the cause.

Even a blind knows the government is our problem but I don't want to make it political.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2020
buchisom1:
Brother stop discouraging people becoz e no work for u no mean e no work for d oder persons and who told u der is no job.. Pple are getting good paid job evryday... If u have the right skills companies will come for u.. I have work for 3 different companies in a space of 6years and i studied business Management. All u need is get d right information and u will get hired simple all dis u pple are talkin connection na mindset.. Pple get job every day without connection.. If u are well informed and God grace on ua side den j good to go.. Learn to start frm d crash den u will grow.. Sm of u pple want to work for big companies whn u dont knw or have any experience or skill to sell... My bro my sister work on yourslf and prayer is the master key.. Dont givup in your belive... U are wat u tink.

No one is discouraging anyone here. This is how things has been in Nigeria for a while now.

You have a good job but how many of your colleague can boast of a good job.

How many people who graduated in the last 5 years can boast of a well paid job. Just few sir, just few.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by buchisom1(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2020
Karleb:

No one is discouraging anyone here. This is how things has been in Nigeria for a while now.

You have a good job but how many of your colleague can boast of a good job.

How many people who graduated in the last 5 years can boast of a well paid job. Just few sir, just few.

All my colleagues are doin fine and good coz dey are well informed. Wat sell now is information.. How informed re u... What information do u have to sell.. Knw dis and knw peace
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by davosea(m): 1:29pm On Nov 10, 2020
buchisom1:

All my colleagues are doin fine and good coz dey are well informed. Wat sell now is information.. How informed re u... What information do u have to sell.. Knw dis and knw peace
i tired o, 9ja totally bleeped up,we just need to grow and dig some important fact around us.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Siberia01(m): 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2020
op so every body go pack go read selling courses or learn to tie gele
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by thejourney200: 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ishiewo:
Chai!! Which means no hope for me, because I'm already in 100 level

Please, don't let this ignorant post misguide you. As an economics graduate, you are very versatile and a BSc in Economics doesn't make you an economist. You need at least a Masters with some relevant years of experience or a PhD to be an economist.

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by thejourney200: 1:36pm On Nov 10, 2020
With the level of ignorance posted in this thread, I do not foresee a better Nigeria. People are shouting ASUU should end its strike which they really should however, do we understand that many graduates have no idea what the essence of education really is?

2 Likes

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by buchisom1(m): 1:44pm On Nov 10, 2020
davosea:
i tired o, 9ja totally bleeped up,we just need to grow and dig some important fact around us.
The truth is there is neva been a time nigeria was good but still with d bad conditions and weather pple are stil making millions, u see building comingup evryday.. U don ever ask yourslf how do dey do it. What is the magic.. Ok let use ayo d comedia as any examples. If he had d mindset of the poster do u tink he will b were he is today.. Mind u d guy na 3rd class he comout with for university ooo..

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 1:47pm On Nov 10, 2020
Siberia01:
op so every body go pack go read selling courses or learn to tie gele
Where did I say anyone should learn to tie gele?

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 1:48pm On Nov 10, 2020
buchisom1:

The truth is there is neva been a time nigeria was good but still with d bad conditions and weather pple are stil making millions, u see building comingup evryday.. U don ever ask yourslf how do dey do it. What is the magic.. Ok let use ayo d comedia as any examples. If he had d mindset of the poster do u tink he will b were he is today.. Mind u d guy na 3rd class he comout with for university ooo..

What is the mindset of the poster?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Siberia01(m): 1:49pm On Nov 10, 2020
Amonijosh1:
Thing is, we nigerians are not creative. Must you look for a job? think of creating jobs please.
create jobs with what ?
the way una dey reason self
how many companies don pack go Ghana because of light issue in the past 4 years
them no be creative people??
no vex me o

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Roadsidetaylaw(m): 2:09pm On Nov 10, 2020
DamZik:
Very few privileged people. How significant is one out of one million? You know someone like you would still get good job even if you study Animal husbandry or social studies. In this case, it's not a matter of what you study. Thank God for your parental background.

I tap into your grace sir.

Lol
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Asuito7(m): 2:17pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mindlog:
I am happy that after extensive research and having talked to a Prof over several months,I pursued my dream program, counselling psychology. Started earning from the course while in the second year as our lecturers did motivate us to be creative with what we were being taught and apply it into earning our tuition fees while still in school. cheesy

This is the true definition of education.
As for the lecturers that urged you guys to apply what you have learnt, they have fine tune their job and role.

What school if I may ask?
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Phantomhilz: 2:28pm On Nov 10, 2020
tamra:

How marketable is linguistics?

@ Kenneth10110

What you studied is actually a gold mine. How many foreign languages can you speak.

Be strategic when learning languages Try to learn the most spoken languages and the not so common languages (languages spoken in a single country alone).

Apply to ministry of foreign affairs, even without connection there is 70% chance of getting a job, either in a an embassy or a high commission
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Karleb(m): 2:34pm On Nov 10, 2020
I hope the jambites are seeing this.

By the time you graduate and you don't have a job, people will even blame you for being jobless.
Most of the time it will be people who had more opportunities. Let's face it, people don't have equal opportunities.

Take for example I was able to get a job that paid me N24, 000 monthly as a jambite (and a teenager) working as a receptionist.
My friends who went into hard labor needed to do 10x of what I did to make that in a month. Mind you, there was a time we had AC in the reception.

How many people got that opportunity. Just few.

While I was serving, one of my colleagues was able to buy a job at a local government in Aba with over N200, 000. How many graduates who graduated recently even have that in their account? I do not.

If you are reading as a jambite, please, learn a skill now. When you graduate you'll most likely be responsible for yourself.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Mindlog: 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2020
Asuito7:

This is the true definition of education.
As for the lecturers that urged you guys to apply what you have learnt, they have fine tune their job and role.

What school if I may ask?

Not in Nigeria. cheesy

The lecturers were practising psychotherapists who had their private practice and were regularly on TV and radio stations and at times did take some of us students along with them to the media houses to be silent observers on how they respond to questions from the interviewers on issues relating to mental well-being. Today, I see some of my former schoolmates on TV programmes.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Asuito7(m): 2:49pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mindlog:

Not in Nigeria. cheesy

The lecturers were practising psychotherapists who had their private practice and were regularly on TV and radio stations and at times did take some of us students along with them to the media houses to be silent observers on how to they answer questions from the interviewers on issues relating to mental well-being. Today, I see some of my former schoolmates on TV programmes.

Not in Nigeria? Well Nigeria is lost then.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by Dpundict: 2:51pm On Nov 10, 2020
Destiny is not defined by course read in school. I have seen lawyer turned seamstress and doctor turned PA.

1 Like

Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by spiceadole: 3:08pm On Nov 10, 2020
BiggyB242:

But I regretted not studying medicine if my Dad would spend just a little money and had me enrolled in pre-degree. I'm still angry at him anytime I see my doctor friends. I know where them they now as doctors, one is presently a flying officer(doctor) in the military,same guy when I dey teach then, success in life isn't based on academic excellence. After missing it the first year I switched to engineering because I was good at maths and physics but I actually wanted medicine the fear of writing jamb 5 times is the beginning of wisdom.

I wrote JAMB 5 times because I wanted medicine or nothing.

I spent 8 frustrating years in medical school.

Immediately, housemanship started..I had no regrets at all.

Its been 4 years post graduation and I am glad I persevered
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by God2man2again(m): 3:10pm On Nov 10, 2020
What a thread! This is a think tank thread.
Re: Do Not Study A Course Just Because You Like It. by psalmuelwater(m): 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2020
Alexaonfleek:
Abeg remove that music from there ooo.
I don't understand how someone will use 4 years as an undergraduate to study a course like that.
Most top musicians we have or we had,how many of them studied music
Fela created a genre that even the whites play today, and gave inspired the new kids on the block today.
Shola Allyson, Asa
Sir shina peters, just to mention a few.
There's always a sharp contrast between those who read music and those who didn't.

And music have alot of branches, it's not about singing or making hit songs alone.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Funny Things You Can Relate To If You Are A Student & Depend On Your Parent(pic) / Tobechukwu Tobi Phillips, First Black Valedictorian In School's 125-year History / What Is The Name Of This Leaf?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.