Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:37 AM

5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! (2489 Views)

Noo Saro-Wiwa: We Had To Reassemble His Skeleton' - Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter / Menegian Saro-Wiwa Dies Of Coronavirus In London / Ken Saro Wiwa's Curse On Nigeria 24 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by V7place(m): 2:51pm On Nov 10, 2020
Nigerian governments like any government keep a lot of secrets. In Nigeria a lot are unnecessary secrets.
Any American can visit the White House with a simple appointment; but very few Nigerians have ever been inside Aso Rock, not even pictures exist of most parts of the Presidential Residence.
One secret the Nigerian government has tried to keep were the details of the execution of writer, Ken Saro Wiwa 25 years ago on November 10th 1995. Worldwide executions have multiple witnesses including victims, families and the press.
Arrested for a murder he could not have committed, the military government of Sani Abacha accused Ken Saro Wiwa and 8 Ogoni leaders of inciting the murder of four men by a mob and charged them for it.
According to any eye witness, the execution of Ken was as dramatic as his life.
The morning of November 10th 1995 , a Sunday, he and his co accused were taken from their cells at the Port Harcourt army base and told they were being moved to the Port Harcourt prison as Ogoni youths were planning to riot at the base.
In Nigeria condemned convicts are usually not told they are about to be executed, they are told a lie in hopes of keeping them calm; whereas in many other countries, the accused knows his execution date and gets to say goodbyes and make preparations.
The men were all sat on benches outside a room and their hands and legs cuffed.
Ken Saro Wiwa was called in first.
This is what we are told happened in the room.
He was arranged on the gallows and his last rites read; but the gallow wouldn't work, the executioner tried again, it still wouldn't work. In all there were 5 different attempts!
The prison officials and military men who were there on orders of General Sani Abacha were confused.
Since they had a schedule, they took Ken out and he sat down back. He told the men what had happened; his co accused began to panic not expecting an execution. Saro Wiwa calmed them down telling them to be men and dispense with all fear.
One by one the others were led in and the executions by hanging was swift.
Then they came back to the legend. When they led him back this time; he was said to have said the following words
" Spirit of the Ogoni people let me go", then his last words: "Lord take my soul, but the struggle continues."
This time the gallows worked and he was executed with no hiccups.
The execution led to massive international outrage; Nigeria was expelled from the Commonwealth and banned from the African Cup of Nations which it was expected to easily win in January 1996.
Mr. B, one of Ken's creations was probably the number one show on Nigerian TV in the mid 80s. He authored many books.
many books.
Sani Abacha was said to have ordered a video recording of Saro Wiwa's execution.

Source: https://v7place.com/index.php?topic=730

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by solarview(m): 3:07pm On Nov 10, 2020
cry cry cry cry Lord have mercy on this land for all the untold atrocities committed in this land

1 Like

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by OruExpress: 3:10pm On Nov 10, 2020
this isn't true
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by iamDrRhymes(m): 3:15pm On Nov 10, 2020
Hmmmm! What a read!
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by babzo(m): 3:32pm On Nov 10, 2020
OruExpress:
this isn't true

Which part. This is the exact story I heard years ago
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by helinues: 3:34pm On Nov 10, 2020
But was later executed right?
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by survivor10(m): 3:34pm On Nov 10, 2020
When they dont put on one funny "Niger delta " cap.

If the execution was done now, all 9 men will be on the cap.

That cap symbolises confusion and belief in one Nigeria.
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by britiko: 4:10pm On Nov 10, 2020
V7place:
Nigerian governments like any government keep a lot of secrets. In Nigeria a lot are unnecessary secrets.
Any American can visit the White House with a simple appointment; but very few Nigerians have ever been inside Aso Rock, not even pictures exist of most parts of the Presidential Residence.
One secret the Nigerian government has tried to keep were the details of the execution of writer, Ken Saro Wiwa 25 years ago on November 10th 1995. Worldwide executions have multiple witnesses including victims, families and the press.
Arrested for a murder he could not have committed, the military government of Sani Abacha accused Ken Saro Wiwa and 8 Ogoni leaders of inciting the murder of four men by a mob and charged them for it.
According to any eye witness, the execution of Ken was as dramatic as his life.
The morning of November 10th 1995 , a Sunday, he and his co accused were taken from their cells at the Port Harcourt army base and told they were being moved to the Port Harcourt prison as Ogoni youths were planning to riot at the base.
In Nigeria condemned convicts are usually not told they are about to be executed, they are told a lie in hopes of keeping them calm; whereas in many other countries, the accused knows his execution date and gets to say goodbyes and make preparations.
The men were all sat on benches outside a room and their hands and legs cuffed.
Ken Saro Wiwa was called in first.
This is what we are told happened in the room.
He was arranged on the gallows and his last rites read; but the gallow wouldn't work, the executioner tried again, it still wouldn't work. In all there were 5 different attempts!
The prison officials and military men who were there on orders of General Sani Abacha were confused.
Since they had a schedule, they took Ken out and he sat down back. He told the men what had happened; his co accused began to panic not expecting an execution. Saro Wiwa calmed them down telling them to be men and dispense with all fear.
One by one the others were led in and the executions by hanging was swift.
Then they came back to the legend. When they led him back this time; he was said to have said the following words
" Spirit of the Ogoni people let me go", then his last words: "Lord take my soul, but the struggle continues."
This time the gallows worked and he was executed with no hiccups.
The execution led to massive international outrage; Nigeria was expelled from the Commonwealth and banned from the African Cup of Nations which it was expected to easily win in January 1996.
Mr. B, one of Ken's creations was probably the number one show on Nigerian TV in the mid 80s. He authored many books.
many books.
Sani Abacha was said to have ordered a video recording of Saro Wiwa's execution.

Source: https://v7place.com/index.php?topic=730

One would av thought Abacha would live forever, unfortunately he died like a fly. Useless dictators. May their soul never rest in peace!!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by babzo(m): 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2020
helinues:
But was later executed right?

Yes, sadly!
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by Biafrannuke: 5:34pm On Nov 10, 2020
The same people he worked with.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by telkevog(m): 6:56pm On Nov 10, 2020
The wicked definitely does'nt go unpurnished! Where is the very Abacha today?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by crackhaus: 7:00pm On Nov 10, 2020
Why does Nollywood never produce historical movies that depict these kind of events?

Stuff like this about the lives of our heroes past actually make for good cinema, and it will also educate viewers.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by Vexedkid(m): 7:18pm On Nov 10, 2020
crackhaus:
Why does Nollywood never produce historical movies that depict these kind of events?

Stuff like this about the lives of our heroes past actually make for good cinema, and it will also educate viewers.
Na true oo but our ogas at the top go ban the film after u don spend money do film
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by obyrich(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2020
Na wa
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by RenaissanceGuy: 7:51pm On Nov 10, 2020
crackhaus:

Go and watch Black November; the storyline is about 90% related to this. One of the best-produced Nollywood movies I've ever watched - a collaboration with American producers anyway.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by crackhaus: 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2020
RenaissanceGuy:
Go and watch Black November; the storyline is about 90% related to this. One of the best-produced Nollywood movies I've ever watched - a collaboration with American producers anyway.
Ohh wow, really?

Thanks, I will look for it to download.
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by crackhaus: 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2020
Vexedkid:
Na true oo but our ogas at the top go ban the film after u don spend money do film
This is true, and it will probably make the producers edit the story in such a way that it won't put the government in a bad light.

Which implies that whatever they end up releasing will be half-truth.

1 Like

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by dfrost: 8:38pm On Nov 10, 2020
Ogoni land... The land with the black soil. cry embarassed

1 Like

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by Vexedkid(m): 6:32am On Nov 11, 2020
crackhaus:

This is true, and it will probably make the producers edit the story in such a way that it won't put the government in a bad light.

Which implies that whatever they end up releasing will be half-truth.
You wey know.
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by edo3(m): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2020
All ds retired generals enriched themselves wt blood money.. Its not only when you kill someone for rituals that makes u ritualist,, when u innocently takes people lives under d guise of being a military man.. I remember ds hanging those years 2geda wt leedum mitte,, don't know if i get d spelling correctly.. Continue to rest in peace guys..
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by Vicachiever: 7:15am On Nov 11, 2020
hours of business classes now reduced to these 3 simple areas you need to focus on for your business to grow
WOW THIS IS AN OPEN SECRET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyoD-VhKigQ
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by Goldensword: 8:13am On Nov 11, 2020
crackhaus:

there is a video about it, but i think it was produced by Hollywood and ken saro wiwa was depicted as a young Lady called i think Ebiele. the title of the movie is called I think Black November.

1 Like

Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by crackhaus: 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
Goldensword:

there is a video about it, but i think it was produced by Hollywood and ken saro wiwa was depicted as a young Lady called i think Ebiele. the title of the movie is called I think Black November.
Hmmmm...
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by HAccord: 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2020
Saboteur dispensed with by the very same abookis he worked with.

It's a pity many of his people today do not learn from history. E.g Magnus Abe.
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by V7place(m): 2:14am On Nov 13, 2020
HAccord:
Saboteur dispensed with by the very same abookis he worked with.

It's a pity many of his people today do not learn from history. E.g Magnus Abe.

Who is a saboteur?
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by V7place(m): 2:15am On Nov 13, 2020
crackhaus:

I really wish they did.
Re: 5 Different Times, The Hangman Couldn't Execute Ken Saro Wiwa! by V7place(m): 2:16am On Nov 13, 2020
RenaissanceGuy:

Black November? Interesting!

(1) (Reply)

Adada River Dam, Enugu Nigeria / Kano Warmly Welcomes Peter Obi-nigeria Is Not Divided Along Ethnic Lines. / First Peter Obi Billboard Erected In Kwara State Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.