Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) (72087 Views)

Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan / Ooni Of Ife Ojájá II Ministers At Olókun Festival In Ile Ife [photos] / Nigerian King With The Most Beautiful Palace In Africa Turns 91(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by AreaFada2: 3:14pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
The Oba of Ife is the top in Hierachi in Yorubaland. according to Legend. One of his sons known as Oranmiyan, was sent to Igodogogo (Now Benin KIngdom) , he conquered the Kingdom and He became the first King of Benin. According to history, he was having issues with the people of Benin because they didn't like his style of rulership. So he made his son Eweka the ruler and left Benin for good.

On leaving Benin he settled at Oyo with his men, he became the first King of Oyo. He was a great warrior and he fought all through the South West all the way to Benin Republic , This is one of the reasons why Oyo Empire is so feared. Then after conquering all the major cities, he felt the need to go back home. He returned to Ile Ife with his army and he unseat the ruling King in a very peaceful manner. He told him he is back to take his fathers throne and he would appreciate if he moves elsewhere. LOL . The King had to move because Oranmiyan was a great warrior
Dude, forget this your legend. No history of any war with Benin never mind conquest. The writer of what you read smoked Oshogbo weed. grin
Oduduwa was a Benin Prince banished from Benin.

Till today Ooni still has to slaughter 7 black cows everytime before ever traveling to Benin. It is not because of crossing 7 hills and rivers to reach Benin.

Are there no rivers and hills on the way to Abuja, Enugu, Lagos, London, America, etc? Why is he not mandated by tradition to kill black cows first before going to those places?

Benin people ordinarily prefer to dey their own jeje. But you guys from Arabia, Yemen, Israel, Sky chain, Egypt, Nubia, and mountain all at the same time keep peddling silly legend.

Gregyboy
Valirex
Etinosa
Ghostwon

6 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by mrugly: 3:17pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
Thanks for this. There are many stories regarding this. I will go and read more about the story from the Benin point of view. Thanks. You are one of the very few Great nairalanders I have met. This is how its suppose to be where we can constructively give our points.

Thank you, you earned my respect.

You are welcome. Respect!!!

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Olofin2(m): 3:27pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
1. The palace has a Police posts
They said this hall is the first Hall in Yoruba Kingdom and the Hall has the statue of Obalugbon. One of the strongest Kings in Ile Ife.

There's nothing like "Obalugbon". It's Obalufon.
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Olofin2(m): 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
Hello beautiful people, Since after the lock down was eased. I have been doing some wakawaka. So I found my way to Osun State. The place where the yoruba race started. As a lover of history, I decided to trace the story of these beautiful people.

Osun State is located in South west and shares a border with Oyo, Ogun and Ondo State.
Yoruba's believed that Oduduwa is the progenitor of the Yoruba race which makes it easy to trace their origin. This is a folklore that is shared by every Yoruba states.

They believed Ile Ife was where everything started from. Ile Ife is an ancient city and it is believed to be the cradle of Yoruba civilisation. So on getting to Ife, I headed straight to the Palace of the Ooni of Ife and what I saw was really incredible. It can be rated as one of the most beautiful palaces in Nigeria.

The palace has three courts, the Emese Court, the Council of Elders Court and the Supreme Court. The Emese Court is handled by the Emese who are a version of the British Royal Guards. They are in charge of simple matters , The council of elders handle some bigger issue while the Supreme Court is headed by the King

Picture below is the Eruwa Square, it is located opposite the Ooni of Ife palace

https://www.travelwaka.com/ile-oodua-the-beautiful-palace-of-the-ooni-of-ife/

Please kindly enjoy the
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJjjJzdy-Pc

Not Eruwa. It's ENUWA.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
In the midst of poverty
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 11, 2020
Shortcut2life:
Forget nothing dey inspiring about this place all ile ife road they bad I see this man convoy they dodge potholes I shame for him matter as a king .. He is just a greedy king that cares about his business only ... shey Na palace we won chop ni ..
You're right, I don't see anything special about it.
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2020
erayo2GCA:
Leave benin out of your narrative

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Donspicey: 3:43pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
Challenge Accepted. Please send money for the tour grin grin

Ok nah.....see me in my office.....
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by lordmans(m): 3:46pm On Nov 11, 2020
Salewa97:

Igbos are not royal by nature so you don’t know what true kingship means.

All the warrant chiefs turned to Obi are just a quota system kingship where they also want you guys to participate.

When talking about true Royals you’ll be talking about the Ooni, Oba of Benin, Alaafin of Oyo, and etc.

When you don’t have something, you can’t appreciate it!

You're truly a true blood and an Omo Yoruba Atata (as per Lagos parlance, Omo Yoruba Pataki). Only true descendants of royal blood and a product of a kingdom would understand what you're articulating here. What you don't have you can't give.

May God bless your wisdom!

2 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by lordmans(m): 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2020
Mbataku96:
Beautiful heritage
Yoruba amaka.

Not Yoruba amaka
But Yoruba L'agba!

Yes ke?

Get $100 bonus for your first deposit when you trade with FSB.inc
Click on the logo below

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dude forget this your legend. No history of any war with Benin never mind conquest. The writer of what you read smoked Oshogbo weed. grin
Till today Ooni still has to slaughter 7 black cows everytime before ever traveling to Benin. It is not because of crossing 7 hills and rivers to reach Benin.

Are there no rivers and hills on the way to Abuja, Enugu, Lagos, London, America, etc? Why is he not mandated by tradition to kill black cows first?

Benin people ordinarily prefer to dey their own jeje. But you guys from Arabia, Yemen, Israel, Sky chain, and mountain all at the same time keep peddling silly legend.

Gregyboy
Valirex
Etinosa
Ghostwon
Indeed there can never be one Nigeria. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by 4ckyou: 3:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
Please go and learn about history of the benin Kingdom and Yoruba Kingdom. They have been one strong ally , Nobody is causing any marginalization. I am only talking about history of their long term relationship and how it came to be

You are actually the one without the knowledge, go back and make sure you meet the king this time, ask him who oduduwa is, he was a banished prince from benin.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by 4ckyou: 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2020
mrugly:

Now, to start with. Oranmiyan didn't conquered Benin(since he didn't wage any war when he got there). The story is this: The Benins came to Oduduwa and asked him to be their king and Oduduwa refused but gave them Oranmiyan (his last son) to go and rule over them.

Why the Benins came all the way to Ile Ife to ask for king( Some of you might ask)? Well, I can't fully say as there are some stories too that emancipated from Benin Kingdom that Oduduwa's origin is from the Benin Kingdom and that he is part of the Ogizo dynasty (if I could recall the name) which translates to the SKY DYNASTY. Legend also says that he(Oranmiyan) was the one who gave them the name Benin because, AS THEY SAY when he got there, he discovered that there ways of life is full of wrath, so he called that place ILE IBINU which translates to the LAND OF WRATH. It is true that he left Benin in anger when he saw that he was unable to change their ways of living.

You mentioned about conquering every Kingdom in southwest, go through your history book again and check if he conquered the Ijebu Kingdom.

d first ruler of Ife (Oduduwa) was d first son of
Ogiso Owodo by d name Ekaladerhan who wandered frm Udo town (capital
of ancient Aka Kingdom) to escape injustice, nd at d end arrived in
Ile-Ife where he was welcomed, acceptd nd finally made dia king. It
was probably as a result of divinity displayd in his personality dat
promptd d Yorubas ova whom he ruled to give him another name
"Oduduwa". Rememba dat d Yorubas believd Oduduwa migrated frm d "east"
to rule over them, nd Benin City is "east" Ile-Ife.
History of Benin Empire:-
The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people,
were initially ruled by the Ogiso (Kings of the Sky) dynasty who
called their land Igodomigodo. The rulers or kings were commonly known
as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained
popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was
succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace
intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince
Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In
anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his
warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was
ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as
natural next in line to rule.
The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan, who was not known in Yoruba land,
somehow earned the title of Oni Ile-fe Izoduwa which is now corrupt to
yoruba language as Ooni (Oghene) of Ile-Ife Oduduwa and refused to
return, then sent his son Oranmiyan to become king. Prince Oranmiyan
took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders
(now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a
beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie
(Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here
he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking
that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the
country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and
educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the
people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in
his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife.
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by emoney09: 4:04pm On Nov 11, 2020
oh
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by batstan(m): 4:13pm On Nov 11, 2020
Salewa97:

Igbos are not royal by nature so you don’t know what true kingship means.

All the warrant chiefs turned to Obi are just a quota system kingship where they also want you guys to participate.

When talking about true Royals you’ll be talking about the Ooni, Oba of Benin, Alaafin of Oyo, and etc.

When you don’t have something, you can’t appreciate it!
Emir of Kano State and that of Sokoto State. Bone
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by batstan(m): 4:15pm On Nov 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dude forget this your legend. No history of any war with Benin never mind conquest. The writer of what you read smoked Oshogbo weed. grin

Are there no rivers and hills on the way to Abuja, Enugu, Lagos, London, America, etc? Why is he not mandated by tradition to kill black cows first?

Benin people ordinarily prefer to dey their own jeje. But you guys from Arabia, Yemen, Israel, Sky chain, and mountain all at the same time keep peddling silly legend.

Gregyboy
Valirex
Etinosa
Ghostwon
Area!!
grin

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by lordmans(m): 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2020
EdoDefence:

Don't tell me my history, I will speak for my history, not you speaking for me.

Benin and Yoruba were never allies rather had the relationship of Master and Vassal relationship.

Don't come here to spew fake stories

IT'S NOT BY FORCE TO BE YORUBA undecided

The truth is not every Edo person is a Bini person or from Bini Kingdom. If you're truly from the Bini kingdom forget your pride and ego and do take a trip home, then ask from the royals if there's any historical links between the yorubas and the Bini people. You will be shocked at what you will discover. The naratives these days is mere jostling for supremacy between the two. That's why each is claiming one came out of the other. If there's no link such stories won't come up. But who is trying to distort the story is another story.

Do you ever asked yourself why the Bini kingdom and every Yoruba king is addressed as Oba?

Oba means king, and all Yoruba kings are known as Oba but with a title like Alaafin, Ooni, Eleko(Lagos) etc while that of Benin is Onibini.

People of Bini royal blood truly understand the relationship of the two kingdoms, unfortunately it's might be beyond the comprehension of the enemies of this great nations. Take your time to dig and see what you will come up with.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by batstan(m): 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2020
Olofin2:

There's nothing like "Obalugbon". It's Obalufon.
Is it a fight?
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Creeza(m): 4:18pm On Nov 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

Gregyboy
Valirex
Etinosa
Ghostwon
You just poured out my mind.

Leave these Youruba people who are bent on flaming the Ambers of tribalism between Binis and their tribe. If e set, you guys will run o

Just like Oramiyan pick race and vamoose Igodomigodo. From tine immemorial, the Edo man likes doing things his own way jejely, but if you try to show him superiority be rest assured he will put you in your rightful position: which is nothingness.

I'd advise my Yoruba brothers to face their fight with Arrewa and Igbos, just leave Edo man out of your wide mouth so you don't loose the little respect we have for you guys.

A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by FA13(m): 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2020
travelwaka:
Opposite the Palace is the Eruwa Square, once you see this place you know you are about to Enter the Royal palace

Eruwa Square has the statue of Oduduwa, the Progenitor of the Yoruba race. This place is dedicated to him.

Please Kindly follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/travelwaka_tours I will be giving out some free tours to some lucky winners.

It is Enuwa not Eruwa.

travelwaka
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by lordmans(m): 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2020
Aksnoopy:
If Ile-ife was indeed the cradle of yoruba race, why did ordinary slaves(modakeke) almost wiped them off the surface of the earth?
If ile-ife people are indeed powerful, why did modakeke warrior almost burned down the ooni palace, sacred houses and sites and the whole town.
Ile-ife was saved by warriors/ marcenaries from Ekiti-state.
Don't be fooled, Ile ife and ooni isn't as powerful as you might think.

Pls get your facts right.
The Modakekes are not slaves but descendants of great Yoruba warriors of mostly Oyo extraction. They left for Ife after the carnage visited on their land by the rampaging ILORIN army. It's natural that the then ruler of Ife offered them a parcel of land to settle. Afteral they are Yorubas, and yorubaland belongs to all Yorubas. The war between the two was a misunderstanding that was later resolved. The Modakekes may have tactical advantage over the Ifes cos they are born warriors like the people of Ibadan, while Ife has never been interested in wars not try to annex any other communities like other Yoruba kingdoms.

That war is over and the bad blood has evaporated.

4 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by valirex: 4:34pm On Nov 11, 2020
Creeza:
You just poured out my mind.

Leave these Youruba people who are bent on flaming the Ambers of tribalism between Binis and their tribe. If e set, you guys will run o

Just like Oramiyan pick race and vamoose Igodomigodo. From tine immemorial, the Edo man likes doing things his own way jejely, but if you try to show him superiority be rest assured he will put you in your rightful position: which is nothingness.

I'd advise my Yoruba brothers to face their fight with Arrewa and Igbos, just leave Edo man out of your wide mouth so you don't loose the little respect we have for you guys.

A word is enough for the wise.

Exactly, with the way they always drag us they are wasting time and allowing the Fulanis and Igbos get ahead of them.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by marsman: 4:35pm On Nov 11, 2020
Shortcut2life:

He has the position as the king to appeal to the government no be to they take photo shoot be the koko ... even local roads are bad and there’s no infrastructures in that city at all .. Na to mine Osun state Gold him sabi ..
Is he the government?
You remember sanusi.
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Aksnoopy: 4:37pm On Nov 11, 2020
[s]
lordmans:

Pls get your facts right.
The Modakekes are not slaves but descendants of great Yoruba warriors of mostly Oyo extraction. They left for Ife after the carnage visited on their land by the rampaging ILORIN army. It's natural that the then ruler of Ife offered them a parcel of land to settle. Afteral they are Yorubas, and yorubaland belongs to all Yorubas. The war between the two was a misunderstanding that was later resolved. The Modakekes may have tactical advantage over the Ifes cos they are born warriors like the people of Ibadan, while Ife has never been interested in wars not try to annex any other communities like other Yoruba kingdoms.

That war is over and the bad blood has evaporated.
[/s]
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by valirex: 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
AreaFada2:

Gregyboy
Valirex
Etinosa
Ghostwon

Area!!!!!!! smiley
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by lordmans(m): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
lekki1444:
nigga keep quiet. yoruba and benin were allies. i am a product of a benin and yoruba merger in the 1600s when some members of the benin kingdom travelled to ikorodu and merged with the yoruba. till today in ikorodu there are two obas, one oba of benin extraction called the Olisa and then another of yoruba extraction but all the benin people of back then all bear yoruba names now. the commisioner for transport for lagos state Dr Fred Oladeinde and the CEO of polaris bank Dr Tokunbo Abiru are a product of that merger and these two are from ikorodu and have yoruba names now but their heritage is benin from the olisa faamily

You're correct jare my brother. Go to Lagos Island you will find similar history and families. Can he also explain why some families in his Edo have Yoruba names with deep and rich Yoruba meanings? Auchi, Sabogida ora, Owan etc?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by mariahAngel(f): 4:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
Bobotic:
Oba of Lagos State right now grin
grin
Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by marsman: 4:40pm On Nov 11, 2020
hardbody:

I respect him and his office and has indeed visited him (in company of my MD and a few others) but I do not know where 'the King of Africa' title is coming from.

What do you know about other civilizations including sub-saharan africa?

Let us stick to what is being discussed.

@OP

I found time to go as far as Ifewara the last time i visited, what again is the connect between Ifewara and Ife? Kabiyesi told us but I have forgotten
Take it or leave it, that position is still the most respected monarch positions in Africa.
By civilisation i meant "a touch of modern equipments like the windows used for the buildings and not the usual mud style house that were built a century ago.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by marsman: 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2020
Evidenx:
EGBON U CAN LIE OOOO.
GO FIND OUT,D ONLY KING IN NIGERIA THAT QUEEN ELIZABETH OF ENGLAND RECOGNISE IS THE OBA OF BENIN,THATS WHY SHE ALWAYS SEND REPRESENTATIVE ANYTIME A NEW OBA IS TO BE INSTALLED IN BENIN CITY. NOR TALK WETIN U NOR KNOW.
WHO KNOW BENIN KING WEY NO PASS HIM VILLAGE.

2 Likes

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by marsman: 4:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
EdoDefence:
[s][/s]

Lies, Oduduwa left Benin for his life was threatened
j
No reasonable person should mention this dude again he had nothing reasonable to contribute.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by marsman: 4:51pm On Nov 11, 2020
EdoDefence:
[s][/s]

Lies, Oduduwa left Benin for his life was threatened
j
No reasonable person should mention this dude again he has nothing reasonable to contribute.

1 Like

Re: The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) by Sirmuel1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 11, 2020
Donspicey:

Nice one.....

Pls help visit aso rock and tell us wia the president's louge is located i want to check sometin.....Thank you

Pictures are not allowed in Aso Villa. If you go against the rule, you may be arrested or your phone/camera will be siezed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo And Queen Firdaus Step Out Together For The First Time (Pics) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / The Returned Oba’s Staff is Fake - Royal Prince Calls Out Oba Of Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.