Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test (4999 Views)

People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / PDP Senators Walk Out As Senate Confirms Amaechi As Minister (Photos) / Senate Confirms Nominations Of 18 Ministerial Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by chosen04(f): 5:27pm On Mar 17, 2011
But why blame someone for not been able to recite the cursed Anthem?

Is the labour of our heroes (if we ever had any) past not in vain?

Why blame anyone for not knowing the colours of the national flag? . . . . . .Is it not disgusting to slapdeckpunch white colour (cloth) inbetween two green colours (cloth) and call it national flag?
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by homerac7: 6:35pm On Mar 17, 2011
^^

U can think smarter dn u displayed in dt post. Stop jokin abt it, its sticking on u.

@ all

Ds is an all time national low. Things r going exactly hw dey shouldnt go. D nation is on a reverse gear.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by 9ijaMan: 7:14pm On Mar 17, 2011
homerac7:

^^

U can think smarter dn u displayed in dt post. Stop jokin abt it, its sticking on u.

@ all

Ds is an all time national low. Things r going exactly hw dey shouldnt go. D nation is on a reverse gear.
I beg to disagree with you on the bold comment. Mediocrity is not new in 9ja.
Our all time low was when GEJ and his PDP gangsters welcomed a felon who got released after serving his jail term with so much fanfare, pump and pageantry.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Tunmi(f): 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2011
I'm assuming she did not spend her childhood in Nigeria. I remember in elementary school, we were required to know the states and capitals of all 36 states. Jigawa-Dutse, I believe. Google check: yep, I'm right. We also had to recite the national anthem and the pledge--and I remember students trying out to play the drums.

Or maybe she went to a different school,

That she could not recite the pledge is a big worry, a huge one. And I am disappointed that she got through.
However, I am happy that there was opposition and finally someone pointed out mediocrity: Jubril Aminu and Olorunmibe Mamora.

But, if she could not come prepared for the committee, just how would she prepare herself when she meets foreign representatives?
So, how does one goes about protesting her position?
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 8:25pm On Mar 17, 2011
@POST

What effect does correctly reciting Nigerian National Anthem have on a person’s ability to adequately serve the country in any field of human endeavor? Nigeria is indeed an empty entity. If reciting Nigerian National Anthem was a prompt criterion to get elected into NASS, most of these senators would not have been elected.

It is unfortunate that Senators who seemed to raise eyebrows over failure to recite an anthem as patriotic issue failed to kick against the frauds and embezzlements perpetrated by members of NASS and Executive branch of government.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 17, 2011
anyway, should we be suprised

even with all these wikileak articles highlighting the clearly cerebral and tasking business of diplomacy/ambassadorship, our eejits are still treating it as a jamboree, rather than a means of seeking valuables insight into your neighbours
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by MaiSuya(m): 10:28pm On Mar 17, 2011
Dede1:

@POST

[b]What effect does correctly reciting Nigerian National Anthem have on a person’s ability to adequately serve the country in any field of human endeavor?  [/b]Nigeria is indeed an empty entity. If reciting Nigerian National Anthem was a prompt criterion to get elected into NASS, most of these senators would not have been elected.

To answer your question, it shouldn't have any effect, that is if the job she is seeking is that of suya seller. The lady in question wants to represent a country of over 140 milloin people, an ambassador plenipotentiary, one who will be expected project our foreign policy and will without doubt find herself in situations where our National anthem will be recited quite often.

By the way, if you had read the article without your tribal lens (she's of of your tribe, I'm well aware of that) you'd have seen the she failed to impress in other areas as well eg  didn't know the capital of Jigawa.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 11:06pm On Mar 17, 2011
Mai Suya:

To answer your question, it shouldn't have any effect, that is if the job she is seeking is that of suya seller. The lady in question wants to represent a country of over 140 milloin people, an ambassador plenipotentiary, one who will be expected project our foreign policy and will without doubt find herself in situations where our National anthem will be recited quite often.

By the way, if you had read the article without your tribal lens (she's of of your tribe, I'm well aware of that) you'd have seen the she failed to impress in other areas as well eg didn't know the capital of Jigawa.

I guess you have served in a diplomatic mission where the need to correctly recite national anthem is the first order of protocol. I honestly do not think the capital of Jigawa State would ever surface in her diplomatic undertakings. It is nice to note that all these noises about national anthem were the fancies of your tribal lens.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by MaiSuya(m): 11:51pm On Mar 17, 2011
Dede1:

I guess you have served in a diplomatic mission where the need to correctly recite national anthem is the first order of protocol. I honestly do not think the capital of Jigawa State would ever surface in her diplomatic undertakings. It is nice to note that all these noises about national anthem were the fancies of your tribal lens. 

As a matter of fact my Dad was with Foreign Ministry and since I accompanied him each time he was posted outside the country, I can emphatically tell you that the first order of protocol whenever a meeting is held at the high commission/embassy is indeed to recite the national Anthem.

But we are dwelling on banalities here; the bottom line is the lady failed to impress, not just on the issue of National Anthem, but other areas as well (according to the Committee Chairman) and so should not have been cleared by the committee.
this is not about her state of origin. Were she to have been from my state, I would have no compunction reacting the same way I've done. Sentiments trumping merit have been the bane our development as a country. How can she represent a country that she knows so little about?
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by honeric01(m): 12:11am On Mar 18, 2011
What a disgrace, how then can you claim to represent Nigeria when you can't even sing nor recite the National anthem/pledge?
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Ofuks(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2011
@ Post:

What effect does correctly reciting Nigerian National Anthem have on a person’s ability to adequately serve the country in any field of human endeavor? Nigeria is indeed an empty entity. If reciting Nigerian National Anthem was a prompt criterion to get elected into NASS, most of these senators would not have been elected.

I wonder how you'll feel if the super eagles are unable to recite the national anthem @ an international event shocked
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by polokor60(m): 2:00pm On Mar 18, 2011
a careless statement by gordon brown gave david cameron a safe landing as the prime minister of the uk.she could not recite the national anthem yet she got the job while other competent nominees are gnashing their teeth because it's a paddy paddy government.come april nigeria ll be liberated from mediocrity.buhari bakare for future of nigeria for nigerians not this family and friends(paddy paddy) govt.phi-d-phi ur days are numbered in the history of this nation called nigeria.we crave for a nation where the citizens ll be very proud to recite the national anthem not this jaboree that is going on.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by greenlabel: 2:16pm On Mar 18, 2011
I weep for Nigeria. This is the same level of mediocrity that has eaten up the fabric of our democracy, where higher offices are occupied by illiterates, because they know someone who can teleport them up there within the blink of an eye. The same set of people are gallivanting around and talking carelessly to fellow Nigerians at our embassies in the United States, and you will not by wonder how these glorified househelps found their way into an embassy like ours, to represent us in the presence of America. I visited one of the embassies recently, the one in Atlanta to be specific. First of, it was a Filipino lady that was attending to visa applicants and passport renewal applicants. Second of all, the whole place was disorganized and building itself looks like an abandoned mini townhall. Third of all, omg! a place that we call the Nigerian embassy does not even have air condition to cool down sweating Nigerians, who travelled down from all part of the US, some spending 14hours on the road driving from Texas and so on, instead, the doors were flung open to allow for fresh air circulation. Lastly what annoys me the most is the way the illiterate workers with their common entrance certificate, talk to fellow Nigerians as though they are superior and we do not pledge allegiance to the country. This really got to me that I was so ashamed of myself, because I went there with my fiancee who is a Sudanese American. I took it as a man, smiled at my fiancee, and then she smiled back and said "I know you are a die hard patriotic Nigerian and despite all these mess, you won't let anyone talk your country down, not even me". Now I have some questions. Do these illiterates undergo any form of training or customer service orientation that made them fit for these jobs? How much will it cost Nigeria as a wealthy country to renovate the eyesaw called the Nigerian embassy? No matter the establishment, there is always one or two unarmed security personell(s) around to make sure there is order within the office environment what happens if an angry applicant slaps someone, due to the unnecessary delays and the way he is being carelessly addressed? They will dial 911 I guess. Well, I guess I should just stop here, there are many more to talk about. I took some photographs which i will be posting on a new thread  soon so you all can see what am talking about. Thank you all for reading.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 18, 2011
Jonathan sends another undeserving and clearly incompetent person for confirmation?  Is anyone surprised ? Is this not the consistent arguement of some of us? I.e Jonathan uses public and important office to ingratiate himself to cronies to the detriment of Nigeria? Folks should go and find out who this woman's husband is and issues will be more clear. Whack AGF ,poor IGP , extremely useless EFCC boss and a poor candidate submitted as ICPC boss by Jonathan , but rejected by the Senate, all confirm that Jonathan is a very dangerous man who is toying with the existence of the nation with his practice of pleasing himself, friends and cronies ahead of using square pegs for square holes in the greater interest of the nation's progress.

In as much as I feel she doesn't deserve that post-- Your condemnation of GEJ doesn't pass here--- Please read again she was a career civil servant and she was next in line so she was nominated, would GEJ have to conduct a private interview for her before nominating her-- she was nominated based on her position and level in the civil service and she RIGHTLY deserved to be nominated if he goes outside and nominates a politician you'd be the first to complain that he left those in the civil service qualified for it to pick on outsiders, Its left to the senate to confirm her if she passes the regularly screening everyone undergoes--Please be upright in your criticism and place blames squarely-- If she was qualified to be nominated and she fails the screening what has GEJ go to do with it, must he teach her the National Anthem first before nominating her.--- Haba Nigerian's with their shallow criticisms.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 4:37pm On Mar 18, 2011
Ofuks:

I wonder how you'll feel if the super eagles are unable to recite the national anthem @ an international event shocked

I shall feel very happy as long as the so-called super eagles win their matches and trash the national anthem.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 4:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
The ability to recite Nigerian national anthem or lack thereof does not factor in a diplomatic acumen. It is unfortunate that in Nigeria, a nominee for diplomatic position would be asked a nonsensical question such as the recite of the anthem instead of questions bordering on diplomacy.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by eros(m): 4:49pm On Mar 18, 2011
Why is everything about Nigeria politics tribalistic  

I am beginning to get sick and tired of most people always emphasizing on certain people from this tribe having certain positions. What we need are Nigerians who will make the system work for us regardless of their ethnic, religious or state of origin.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 18, 2011
I watched Carl Lewis destroy USA national anthem on the television. He failed to recite anthem despite hours of rehearsal. If we had to follow the lame argument put forward by disingenuous Nigerians on the issue, Carl Lewis should not have represented USA in Olympics talk less of winning gold medals in both 100M and 4X100M races. 

Again, ability to recite national anthem or lack thereof does not have any bearing on the ability of individual to perform a certain job for a country.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by sley4life(m): 7:43pm On Mar 18, 2011
damn
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by dellnet: 12:40am On Mar 19, 2011
Arise o' compatriots
Nigeria call obey
To Serve our father's land with love
and strength and faith,,,

Pls some1 help me finish.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by cheikh: 2:04am On Mar 19, 2011
@OP
Diplomats are representative and true reflection of a nation good or bad. Nigeria is perceived worldwide for indiscipline, corruption and mediocrity so what is new? sad sad

It's sad that those representing us in the house of reps/senate justify mediocrity and ignorance with spurious excuses as usual. That's what we do best We are seriously in danger as a people if we continue to elevate and entrench indiscipline and mediocrity as a national culture sad.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by cheikh: 2:38am On Mar 19, 2011
Dede1
I watched Carl Lewis destroy USA national anthem on the television. He failed to recite anthem despite hours of rehearsal. If we had to follow the lame argument put forward by disingenuous Nigerians on the issue, Carl Lewis should not have represented USA in Olympics talk less of winning gold medals in both 100M and 4X100M races.
Again, ability to recite national anthem or lack thereof does not have any bearing on the ability of individual to perform a certain job for a country.

@Dede1

Pls, the topic is about so called career diplomat/ambassador not an ordinary sports person shocked.
You may be correct about the ability to recite the national anthem or lack thereof not having any bearing on performance of certain jobs. I think, the job of a national ambassador/career diplomat is too serious and sensitive than perhaps a sports person whatever their exalted achievements may be. An ambassador is not just a job but the public face and representation of a nation 24/7. Perhaps you are adopting the usual or typical lazy Nigerian attitude to national "duty" hence the Excuses for sloppy behaviour/character, laziness, mediocrity, tribe, religion, male, female, minority or majority, Quota system, election rigging, poor workmanship, corruption etc. Nothing shocks me any more as to the length some of us will go to spin and justify backwardness or mediocrity.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by jumobi1(m): 3:34am On Mar 19, 2011
Shows Nigeria isn't progressing and our Senators have no shame.
Someone was talking about Anambra Senators didn't want to waste their slot. They could have simply replaced her with another Anambra Diplomat.

There is too much blame on GEJ. The Foreign Ministry really picks the career diplomats while GEJ picks the politically appointed diplomats. Once a diplomat has reached level 17, they is simply due and there is nothing GEJ can do really. It's the job of the Foreign Ministry to pre-screen her and then send the list to GEJ. The Perm Sec is the one that has to answer.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by homerac7: 8:18am On Mar 19, 2011
Dede,

your logic is weak n stop making excuses for mediocrity. If i should tow line of your logic, its cool for senior engineers to fail arithmetic assessment, its cool for senior doctors to fail basic health science assessments, its ok for senior lawyers not to b able to define "govt", "democracy" or "constitution".

Ds horrible sacrifice of excellence for ethnic quota is what has ruined ds nation most. It comes along wt all sort of other evils. I'm sure some people dont see much wrong wt it because d candidate is from educationally previledged south eastern Anambra state,  bt unfortunately if she had been frm Yobe, Jigawa or Zamfara, all her backers will b singing differently.

If she failed, she failed, period! I hav seen too much of terrible effects of celebrating mediocrity dt i hav little tolerance for it. I see currently on-going huge industrial projects wt low local human content/ participations, d contractors excuse r same and valid dt dey cant find competent Nigerians to do dos things. I am talking of simple trades as welding, fitting, masonry, carpentry, etc. And unfortunately, true to it, our locals r hardly skilled enough for complexity or finnesse of dos jobs.

Here we are again, doing ourselves d injustice of celebration of mediocrity just to save ethnic faces.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Dede1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2011
homerac7:

Dede,

your logic is weak n stop making excuses for mediocrity. If i should tow line of your logic, its cool for senior engineers to fail arithmetic assessment, its cool for senior doctors to fail basic health science assessments, its ok for senior lawyers not to b able to define "govt", "democracy" or "constitution".

Ds horrible sacrifice of excellence for ethnic quota is what has ruined ds nation most. It comes along wt all sort of other evils. I'm sure some people dont see much wrong wt it because d candidate is from educationally previledged south eastern Anambra state, bt unfortunately if she had been frm Yobe, Jigawa or Zamfara, all her backers will b singing differently.

If she failed, she failed, period! I hav seen too much of terrible effects of celebrating mediocrity dt i hav little tolerance for it. I see currently on-going huge industrial projects wt low local human content/ participations, d contractors excuse r same and valid dt dey cant find competent Nigerians to do dos things. I am talking of simple trades as welding, fitting, masonry, carpentry, etc. And unfortunately, true to it, our locals r hardly skilled enough for complexity or finnesse of dos jobs.

Here we are again, doing ourselves d injustice of celebration of mediocrity just to save ethnic faces.

If you were not disingenuous with your plank of argument, I should have called on logic to take precedent.

The basic duty of a diplomat does not revolve around the ability to recite national anthem of a home or foreign country as it would be for medical, engineering or legal profession where the basics centered on basic health science, arithmetic or constitutional assessment respectively.

I had argued against the ambassadorial nominee if she had failed to give adequate responses to questions bordering on bilateral treaties, UN resolutions and conventions or international trade agreements. I still state unequivocally that there is nothing mediocre when one fails to recite the national anthem.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:59pm On Mar 19, 2011
But this is Nigeria: don't be surprised if she is posted to London, Switzerland or Washington DC! Now here is the take-away: Mrs Bristol was asked to explain the Vienna and Geneva Conventions. All she could say was: "I am confused. I am confused."

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-626495.0.html

undecided
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by homerac7: 4:04pm On Mar 19, 2011
Dede,

I ws almost drawn into some dirty mud slinging wt u, bt i am happy i didnt and wont.

Now , something as national anthem is so basic dt children learn it along wt a,b,c in kindergarten n nursery schools. My earlier examples were even more dignifying as pupils learn national anthem before arithmetic, health sciences or social studies.

D lady failed disgracefully, period! Her line of career and duties should not ordinarily forgive such gaffe. It shows incompetence on her path, nothing more. It was an interview session wc she flunked. In a private organization interview, if u, Dede, should do dt, u knw well dt d job is kissed bye-bye. Albeit an entry level job. What do u think consists of high intelligience? Do u think its abt just knowing all d routines of ur job? It also entails u known some of dos not-everyday things. If a carrer diplomat cant recite national anthem, who should? She doesnt even know capital of Jigawa, yet dts d country she wants to go represent as plenipotentiary.

Dede, like i said earlier, ur logic is weak and stop making excuses for mediocrity. D more u do ot d more u look like one dude.

By d way, did u see another addition to her gaffe in d post just above me? So much for madam ambassador
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by cheikh: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2011
Dede1
The basic duty of a diplomat does not revolve around the ability to recite national anthem of a home or foreign country as it would be for medical, engineering or legal profession where the basics centered on basic health science, arithmetic or constitutional assessment respectively.

I had argued against the ambassadorial nominee if she had failed to give adequate responses to questions bordering on bilateral treaties, UN resolutions and conventions or international trade agreements. I still state unequivocally that there is nothing mediocre when one fails to recite the national anthem.

@Dede1

You may spin it anyhow you like, sad Mediocrity like the Truth is Constant, Unforgiving and will always bounce back to haunt you sad.
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by earthrealm(m): 8:58am On Mar 31, 2011
she failed 3 things
1. national anthem.
2. definition/explaining geneva convention.
3. capital of jigawa state,

if she failed nos 3 alone, i wud hv pardoned her, but by failing nos 1&2, she is like an engr who doesnt know the meaning of SI unit, or a farmer who cant differentiate btw a hoe and cutlass.
as a career diplomat. those are the tools of her trade, she shud hv f**king known it!

mediocrity is always exalted in nigeria!!, y?, y?
Re: Senate Confirms Ambassador Who Failed Anthem Test by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 06, 2011
@Green Label, I know this is totally unrelated but this is the only way i can contact you. Please can you tell me where you bought your condylox from?Please, Please and please! I have searched everywhere

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Rather Break For Buhari To Be President- FG / Nigerian Army Boko Hara Flag Vs Real Boko Haram Flag / Kwankwaso Might Leave PDP If He Loses Primary, See Why (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.