Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria (30278 Views)

See The N200 Onions I Bought This Evening In Port Harcourt / See Onions My Wife Bought For 500 In Portharcourt Today (Photos) / The N500 Onions I Bought Today In Port Harcourt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by newisd75: 2:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
Nbotee:
So we now import even onions from Niger? Niger go soon colonize us b dat. But how com we are importing from Niger Republic wen the border is supposed to b closed?? This same govt closed the borders on all imports but yet were are hearing of onion imports from Niger? No wonder their governors came to campaign for dis govt during the elections.. Rail lines have been awarded to connect to a town in Niger. A contract have been signed to import petroleum products from Niger.
d buhari we see look like d double of niger republic. he can.t even remember many things. if he was d real buhari, he will know things that has happen in d past & know things that has taken place in nigeria & alsa know d names of people in his fg
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by chaloskyx: 2:32pm On Nov 24, 2020
SOMETHING IS DEFINATELY FISHY IN THIS NIGER/NIGERIA DEALS FIRST RAIL ROAD THEN RIFINERY THEN NOW ONIONS?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by cosmos1440: 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:
Nigeria and Niger should be amalgamated into one country, Niger is too reliant on Nigeria.

Southerners complaining that there's no job instead of wasting years at home looking for non-existent job why don't u use that time u are using to wait for job to farm in that your unused village land.

Go back to the village use your village boys instead of using that small money u brought from the city to buy them beer use it to hire labour and clear the farm lands, use the wood instead of burning them to create a fence around the farm, use your Google map to locate the nearest river then use your education to aid how this can aid in irrigating your farm.

That's what your education and Nigeria is for not complaining
God bless you bro ...

Being a farmer, only last week, I told some youths to consider farming but they all looked at me condescendingly, one of them even asked me , "So, after all our years in school and even serving, we should go to the village and start farming, abi?".

A lot of Ngerians want the good things of life but they don't want to work hard for it.

1 Like

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Sleekfingers: 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2020
Angelfrost:

I totally agree with you there... The South needs to wake up from this food dependency on the North!!! It is just laziness and poor leadership!!!

na everybody wan dey wear tie......lands in the southwest are extemely fertile......southeast and southsouth are not left out......

Oyo and osun state dey too fertile......lagos and rivers state will take care of our seafood

we cant be waiting for the north for food.......terrorism and floods is affecting the north....... We never see anything yet for south......we need to do something fast......especially the southwest
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by chaloskyx: 2:35pm On Nov 24, 2020
FIRST RAIL ROAD THEN REFINERY NOW ONIONS THE PEOPLE I BLAME FOR ALL THESE DEALS ARE THE IGBO AND YORUBA GOVT OFFICIALS WHO SEE ALL THESE DEALS BUT REFUSE TO SAY ANYTHING CAUSE THEY ARE BENEFITING FROM THE CORRUPTION OSIBANJO NGIGE AND ALL OTHERS YOU ARE BETRAYERS TO YOUR PEOPLE AND YOU WILL PAY DEARLY FOR IT MAYBE NOT NOW BUT DOWN THE ROAD YOU WOULD ALL GET WHAT YOU DESERVE
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Limitless72(m): 2:45pm On Nov 24, 2020
Freeeanijor:
All this criticism is not necessary. The truth is Nigeria cannot supply all the demand needed for our day to day needs. Do you even have an idea of how big the Nigerian market is? Don't forget that Niger is a member of ECOWAS and inter-trade should be encouraged. We sell our commodities to other countries both far and near. The world depends on commerce.

Stop try to run in circles here.
We know all this problems are as a result of this incompetent adminstration. The reason behind this scarcity and inflation of staple food price is because of the increasing rate of insecurity in the North, banditry and book haram is the big dog sponsored by their leaders over there.

When bandits and kidnappers operate in broad daylight, demanding millions of naira from indigenous farmers before they can be allowed to harvest their farm produce, what were you expecting?

Use your head
Nobody would farm where his/her life is hanging by a thread?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by emonis88: 2:53pm On Nov 24, 2020
Something is wrong somewhere! It is in this administration that floods destroy farms n onions become expensive n all of a sudden the onions r imported from Niger? Remember a refinery in Niger is going to b refining crude oil for Nigeria now n a railway track is bn built from Nigeria to Niger. Abi them never sell this country to Niger so? I dey ask o!
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2020
Sleekfingers:
Me wey don already started planting onions for my land in oko afor...the land just dey waste....

As a matter of fact, the southwest need to start investing in agriculture....especially oyo, osun and ogun state.........all those lazy youth roaming around should go into farming......

Oyo and osun state can feed the entire southwest.....the land is too fertile. Onions can grow here too. But they are not as big , as the ones from the north....but na still onions......we from the southwest should bury our heads in shame...always waiting for foods from the north.........where we can plant those things...eg pepper, tomato, onions, vegetables, ginger, garlic, fruits etc na wa o.....

My thoughts exactly!!!.. We keep folding our hands waiting for what is within our power to achieve...

I am highly disappointed in a lot of our youths and leaders... People keep looking for what to steal, when they can all seize this opportunity to go into food production!!!

2 Likes

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2020
Freeeanijor:
All this criticism is not necessary. The truth is Nigeria cannot supply all the demand needed for our day to day needs. Do you even have an idea of how big the Nigerian market is? Don't forget that Niger is a member of ECOWAS and inter-trade should be encouraged. We sell our commodities to other countries both far and near. The world depends on commerce.

Tell yourself the truth... Nigeria can produce all the food her citizens need, and even have excess for export!!!...

Isn't it a shame that this nation is still so badly dependent on the whole world for almost every basic thing??!...

1 Like

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 3:06pm On Nov 24, 2020
ezenwajosh:
what I meant is for festive season
But let us try and encourage our people to go into farming it's not a bad idea
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

But let us try and encourage our people to go into farming it's not a bad idea
we already doing so
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 3:08pm On Nov 24, 2020
ezenwajosh:
we already doing so
We are not doing enough, igbos are still reliant on other regions for a lot of food we consume
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by fashrola(m): 3:15pm On Nov 24, 2020
Nbotee:
So we now import even onions from Niger? Niger go soon colonize us b dat. But how com we are importing from Niger Republic wen the border is supposed to b closed?? This same govt closed the borders on all imports but yet were are hearing of onion imports from Niger? No wonder their governors came to campaign for dis govt during the elections.. Rail lines have been awarded to connect to a town in Niger. A contract have been signed to import petroleum products from Niger.

PMB is a Nigerien .....
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by engrchykae(m): 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

If everybody with village land use it to farm instead of leaving it fallow until the day they get money to build house in the villages by now not only would their be surplus jobs but we will have enough food and cheap
you are wise and should be a leader
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by sematec(m): 3:31pm On Nov 24, 2020
so niger border don open because of onions
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by poiZon: 3:34pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:
Nigeria and Niger should be amalgamated into one country, Niger is too reliant on Nigeria.

Southerners complaining that there's no job instead of wasting years at home looking for non-existent job why don't u use that time u are using to wait for job to farm in that your unused village land.

Go back to the village use your village boys instead of using that small money u brought from the city to buy them beer use it to hire labour and clear the farm lands, use the wood instead of burning them to create a fence around the farm, use your Google map to locate the nearest river then use your education to aid how this can aid in irrigating your farm.

So everybody will start farming onions in the south because dem curse us with foolish govt.
Go and check whether na every citizens dey farm for US
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Denique(f): 3:43pm On Nov 24, 2020
99thEnemy:
Deni.que come and see our Gold grin

I found me an Aboki over the weekend tongue
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 3:47pm On Nov 24, 2020
poiZon:

So everybody will start farming onions in the south because dem curse us with foolish govt.
Go and check whether na every citizens dey farm for US
Seriously learn to read, I no talk anything about farming onions, neither did I say everybody should farm. All I am saying is a jobless and unemployed person has enough time and strength wasting, y not put that to use by going to the farms than staying idle for years waiting for a job?

Wetin I talk bad?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 3:53pm On Nov 24, 2020
engrchykae:
you are wise and should be a leader
If I get the kind power and fellowship nnamdi kanu got and wasted I swear igbos will be a force to reckon with.

Only thing is our neighbors will start their normal rubbish talk of anytime igbos start rising even if it's on merit or not they spin the warp and call it igbo domination.

I started thinking about our people since d day I was born and found out that most shops I used to go to were igbo people and most people I used to see on tv was always wearing abada I knew sth just wasn't right.

Almost everyday of my life I spent my time on google earth focusing on igbo land asking myself how I can make things better for our people it pains me so much to see our people suffer in anyway
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 3:57pm On Nov 24, 2020
Limitless72:

Stop try to run in circles here.
We know all this problems are as a result of this incompetent adminstration. The reason behind this scarcity and inflation of staple food price is because of the increasing rate of insecurity in the North, banditry and book haram is the big dog sponsored by their leaders over there.

When bandits and kidnappers operate in broad daylight, demanding millions of naira from indigenous farmers before they can be allowed to harvest their farm produce, what were you expecting?

Use your head
Nobody would farm where his/her life is hanging by a thread?
If all dz are happening in the north, if the south is wise they are supposed to be cashing out from farming right now
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by poiZon: 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

Seriously learn to read, I no talk anything about farming onions, neither did I say everybody should farm. All I am saying is a jobless and unemployed person has enough time and strength wasting, y not put that to use by going to the farms than staying idle for years waiting for a job?

Wetin I talk bad?
And you think farming is cheap abi....
U forgot most of the lands in the village have been acquire by politicians...
People are farming, those who have the capacity.
U don't solve a problem by creating another problem. Not everybody have access to lands.
Insecurity too is another hindering factor deleting people from farming.
The entire citizens don't need to farm before we can feed ourselves.
In US the population of farmers is less than 3percent of the entire population. A jobless youth that is looking for money to survive u want him to enter a venture that will need more than 3months to grow and attain maturity. What will he eat during the period of growth?
Make una dey reason please. Abeg reason.....
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by ultimatebas(m): 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2020
PCG001:
ɛ ռօ ċօռċɛʀռ ʍɛ❌
Chilling in the gold mine cool shocked
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 4:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
poiZon:

And you think farming is cheap abi....
U forgot most of the lands in the village have been acquire by politicians...
People are farming, those who have the capacity.
U don't solve a problem by creating another problem. Not everybody have access to lands.
Insecurity too is another hindering factor deleting people from farming.
The entire citizens don't need to farm before we can feed ourselves.
In US the population of farmers is less than 3percent of the entire population. A jobless youth that is looking for money to survive u want him to enter a venture that will need more than 3months to grow and attain maturity. What will he eat during the period of growth?
Make una dey reason please. Abeg reason.....
U dae jobless for 8years u dae city dae do bricklayer work to survive u no die.

Imagine if during d 1st year of that 8years u farm sth, at least before that 8years go reach u dae sure of sth.

Insecurity in cities are much more than villages if u no die for city na scanty village u want die?

Usa is like that cause it's a developed country Nigeria is not

All dz things u dae give they call it excuses

1 Like

Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by poiZon: 4:17pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

U dae jobless for 8years u dae city dae do bricklayer work to survive u no die.

Imagine if during d 1st year of that 8years u farm sth, at least before that 8years go reach u dae sure of sth.

Insecurity in cities are much more than villages if u no die for city na scanty village u want die?

Usa is like that cause it's a developed country Nigeria is not

All dz things u dae give they call it excuses
Bros what u saw u reap... U can't see 10thousand naira and expect to reap 1billion naira.
Farming isn't for broke, unemployed graduates.
The process and procedures involved isn't for someone who doesn't have funds and capital.
There r two types of agriculture, commercial and subsistent agriculture.
Most Nigerians practice the latter.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Myhusband(m): 4:21pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

suggest the same for Yusuf Buhari's Son
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Coldie(m): 4:22pm On Nov 24, 2020
Myhusband:

suggest the same for Yusuf Buhari's Son
Buhari is a farmer, he has a herd of cattle. Who do u think owns all those cattle when he dies?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by intruder15(m): 4:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
Nbotee:

Border closure is only applicable to the south. Not north.
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by 99thEnemy(m): 4:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
Denique:

I found me an Aboki over the weekend tongue

Menene? grin

Na tabata yanzu ka fahimchi hausa sosai manna. grin

grin grin grin grin grin

Scarcity will soon finish grin grin grin... Enjoy the surplus Onions, Kilishi, Suya and Masa while it last grin

Kriss the Alpha will soon be back grin
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Denique(f): 4:33pm On Nov 24, 2020
99thEnemy:

Scarcity will soon finish grin grin grin... Enjoy the surplus Onions, Kilishi, Suya and Masa while it last grin

Kriss the Alpha will soon be back grin

He'll come for you instead wink

Trust you are well?
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by Myhusband(m): 5:10pm On Nov 24, 2020
Coldie:

Buhari is a farmer, he has a herd of cattle. Who do u think owns all those cattle when he dies?

political jobber like you! continue licking politicians butt
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:27pm On Nov 24, 2020
Freeeanijor:

ECOWAS yen yen yen
Inter trade bla bla bla
Southern borders are closed
Re: Niger-imported Onions ‘turn Gold’ As Floods Ruin Harvest In Nigeria by lereinter(m): 5:39pm On Nov 24, 2020
If you are attached to nigeria just buhari dies before 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Bought A Paint Of Garri N1200 / How To Make Black Soup|Edo Black Soup Recipe 1 / Name The Food You Hate, But Other People Like Eating It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.