Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' (30548 Views)

Ex-SGF Boss Mustapha Refutes $6.3m CBN Looting Allegation, Calls For Probe / I Am Alive - Yakubu Gowon denies death rumours / Afenifere Never Issued Us Query Of Allegation, Says Suspended Spokesperson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by benjackugo: 10:07am On Nov 26, 2020
"What The MP Said Is Rubbish"- Gowon Denies Fleeing Nigeria With ''Half of Central Bank"

‘It’s rubbish’ — Gowon reacts to accusation of looting half of central bank

Yakubu Gowon, a former military head of state, has described allegations that he looted half of the Central Bank of Nigeria as “rubbish”.

Tom Tugendhat, a member of the United Kingdom parliament, had accused Gowon of looting Nigeria’s treasury when he left office.

Speaking at the UK parliament committee debate on a petition on the #EndSARS crisis, Tugendhat had urged the UK to call out corruption and use its powers to stop who profit from Nigeria’s wealth and hide it in foreign countries.

“Some people will remember when General Gowon left Nigeria with half of the Central Bank, so it is said, and moved to London,” he said.

However, Tugendhat did not provide any evidence to support his claim.

In reaction to the remark, Gowon told BBC: “I don’t know where he got that rubbish from, I served Nigeria diligently and my records are there for all to see”.

“What the MP said was just mere ridicule and I don’t know as to where he cooked up such statement. I served Nigeria as much as I could and my achievements during those years are available to everyone.

“I don’t want to talk over the matter since those who know me very well say that the MP’s statement is nothing but a mere fallacy”.

Gowon was Nigeria’s military head of state from 1966 to 1975, including during the time of the oil boom.

After leaving power in 1975, Gowon went to the UK to study political science and international relations as an undergraduate at Warwick University.

Several people including Akinwumi Adesina, president of the African Development Bank (AfDB), have reacted to the claim vouching for Gowon’s integrity.

https://www.thecable.ng/its-rubbish-gowon-reacts-to-accusation-of-looting-half-of-central-bank

Watch the viral controversial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP1WhuRAkoA

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by seunmsg(m): 10:11am On Nov 26, 2020
“What the MP said is rubbish. I don’t know where he got that rubbish from, I served Nigeria diligently and my records are there for all to see.

I did not want to speak on this issue because people that know me know that what the MP said is not true''

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by HandmadeD: 10:13am On Nov 26, 2020
Then his lawyer should file a Law suit against the Mp. To clear his conscience

Anyway, I will Design a Professional Logo or Letterhead for your Product or Company For 2k Only. Offer valid today only

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by uptimum123(m): 10:15am On Nov 26, 2020
He's one of the most honest and responsible elder statesman in Nigeria.

The member of the parliament in UK who said he stole half of CBN is just chasing clout and relevancy in the Nigerian space and only the ipob people will give him that.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by sodiqapril(m): 10:17am On Nov 26, 2020
What's with Nigerians and defending wicked leaders, ten years from now,you'll people will describe buhari as a legend and of the best things that happened to Nigeria. Under Gowon's command, a Red Cross plane carrying powdered milk & dry fish for starving children was shot down in 1969.

He perpetrated a blockade that condemned over a million Igbo children to death by starvation & you put "decency" in the same sentence with him?
This crude & blatant revisionism of history has to stop biko

Gowon is a war criminal, he didn't stop at victory, he sought humiliation, he had no rules of engagement, he was an extremely cruel man. No sugarcoating it.

Secession may be a crime but the punishment is not genocide

333 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by hisexcellency34: 10:19am On Nov 26, 2020
Ojukwu and millions of innocent Igbos killed haunting Gowon

23 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by uptimum123(m): 10:21am On Nov 26, 2020
sodiqapril:
Anything they said he did..he did worse..that man supervised the killing of Igbos in delta

You mean Igbos that was misled into going to war to fight for the disintegration of this great country by Ojukwu

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Stalwert: 10:25am On Nov 26, 2020
sodiqapril:
Anything they said he did..he did worse..that man supervised the killing of Igbos in delta

And Ojukwu in heralding Igbo supremacy, supervisred the murdered minorities in N'delta, Kogi, amongst others.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by seunmsg(m): 10:25am On Nov 26, 2020
HandmadeD:
Then his lawyer should file a Law suit against the Mp. To clear his conscience

Parliamentarians cannot be sued for whatever they say inside the parliament. Tell the MP to repeat the allegation outside the parliament and see how quickly he will be sued.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Stalwert: 10:26am On Nov 26, 2020
Only the congenital abnormalities known as ipob and some reprobate corruption insurgents believe the tale of weakling who was just 2 year old when Gowon was holding the country together from colonial implanted land mines.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by omenka(m): 10:29am On Nov 26, 2020
Not one to be swayed by the mob and wont subscribe to mob mentality. It behooves on he that accuses to prove beyond doubt his accusation.

Where is the evidence Gowon did that? Or am I supposed to swallow what the MP said because he is an MP and British?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by seunmsg(m): 10:29am On Nov 26, 2020
sodiqapril:

The greed and ego of Ojukwu led to the civil war and the consequential deaths. War is not a tea party, it’s an act of bloody violence. Don’t declare war if you don’t want death. Enough said.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Aufbauh(m): 10:36am On Nov 26, 2020
The UK with their hypocrisy is stinking.
You accuse us of corruption yet you provide safe haven for our corrupt politicians. SMH!

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by lyndy69: 10:37am On Nov 26, 2020
Is this the best defense?

To SS3 students writing NECO Exams, check out the NECO Data Processing Questions for your revision.

2 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by TimeManager(m): 11:52am On Nov 26, 2020
omenka:
Not one to be swayed by the mob and wont subscribe to mob mentality. It behooves on he that accuses to prove beyond doubt his accusation.

Where is the evidence Gowon did that? Or am I supposed to swallow what the MP said because he is an MP and British?
Has the British Government returned to us what they looted from us?
I expect the British Government to prove the allegation and send back to us a large chunk of his half the CBN loot as 'Gowon Loot', until that is done, they should stuff their hypocrisy up their ass.

kiss the truth!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by naijadrivablog: 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2020
No smoke without fire, a wise man says.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by TimeManager(m): 12:07pm On Nov 26, 2020
sodiqapril:
What's with Nigerians and defending wicked leaders, ten years from now,you'll people will describe buhari as a legend and of the best things that happened to Nigeria. Under Gowon's command, a Red Cross plane carrying powdered milk & dry fish for starving children was shot down in 1969.

He perpetrated a blockade that condemned over a million Igbo children to death by starvation & you put "decency" in the same sentence with him?

Gowon is a war criminal, he didn't stop at victory, he sought humiliation, he had no rules of engagement, he was an extremely cruel man. No sugarcoating it.

Ojukwu is the worst war criminal ever. He diverted food supplies & aids meant for the biafran civilians to his camps, leaving the people to starve to death.

kiss the truth!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Nigeriabiafra80: 12:13pm On Nov 26, 2020
A genocidist war criminal is still crying for drawing his attention to billions he stole from Nigeria
What will now happen when we start dragging him

10 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Nigeriabiafra80: 12:16pm On Nov 26, 2020
TimeManager:

Ojukwu is the worst war criminal ever. He diverted food supplies & aids meant for the biafran civilians to his camps, leaving the people to starve to death.

kiss the truth!
I don’t wish to engage you with your ranting and gossip
Am just doing this to let others reading your jargon to rethink

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by complexBoss12: 12:18pm On Nov 26, 2020
grin
Nobody expected you to say it's true na

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Yebosola(m): 12:20pm On Nov 26, 2020
uptimum123:
He's one of the most honest and responsible elder statesman in Nigeria.

The member of the parliament in UK who said he stole half of CBN is just chasing clout and relevancy in the Nigerian space and only the ipob people will give him that.

He tired me oh, look at that idiot DJ socket trending on twitter with what is beyond her intellectual capacity, Gowon that was overthrown from Kampala during a summit, where he get time to evacuate half of CBN, UK is part and parcel of Nigeria's problem, why can't they return the audio money all these yrs?

17 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 26, 2020
Truly rubbish.

The MP that confidently made that assertion was a toddler at the time Gowon's regime was overthrown. This just confirmed the deep-rooted stereotypes in the mind of an average Briton.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Samsimple(m): 12:26pm On Nov 26, 2020
But is it possible to loot half of CBN

check my signature

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by ivolt: 12:26pm On Nov 26, 2020
It is not rubbish. Gowon should not deny us our money. We hereby call on the UK to give us the exact figure and the date the money will be returned.
#bringbackourhalfofCBN

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by tot(f): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
Foolish Nigerians will soon come and defend their politicians - yet 1960 till date, very little development - bad roads, bad healthcare, falling standards.
Hungry people aka BMC defending those that have fed fat on their commonwealth. Senselessness at its peak.

Same way Cameron the former Prime Minister referred to Nigerians as fantastically corrupt. You think they make such statements for talking sake? These guys know the depth of corruption in Nigeria even more than Nigerians.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by mytime24(f): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
Yawn
Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Yebosola(m): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
sodiqapril:

Your last paragraph has vindicated Federal Government ,stop contradicting yourself man,not MAY is a Crime.

8 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by AbijaJ: 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
People will believe whatever they want to believe, as long as it reinforces their biases, irrespective of how true it is.

7 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Kobicove(m): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
Before nkò...were you expecting him to admit it. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by Fahdiga(m): 12:27pm On Nov 26, 2020
Will you agree before. thief

6 Likes

Re: Half Of CBN Looting: Gowon Denies Allegation Says 'It Is Rubbish' by PigTormentor: 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2020
Just like TRAMP, make accusations with evidence.
Only the gullible will buy such trash.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

You’ll Be Lucky To Escape Lawsuit, Tinubu’s Team Tells Chimamanda Adichie / FG Delists 37 Illegal Loan Apps / 'The IG Is Corrupt & A Thief' — Mobile Policemen During Protest In Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.