Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel (5267 Views)

Libyans Will Regret What They Did To Ghadafi.! / Have Libyans Made A Huge Mistake By Removing Gaddafi? / Libyans Under Gaddafi Live A Better Life Than Americans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by sadyeek(m): 1:08pm On Mar 22, 2011
[/quote][quote author=igbsam link=topic=628477.msg7961613#msg7961613 date=1300793371]
I didn't go there to live. Went there on a business trip for my firm. True we have Nigerians trying to earn a living there and its not only in libya that we have Nigerians or other foreigners, they move to other countries too. Why would the citizen of libya be living in fear of the man. Fine the guy developed the country to what it is. But lo and behold, there are other areas that are worst than Ajegunle there. Just like Nigeria, they show u d finest places and u feel nigeria is paradise, so it is there. u say something against ghadaffi just like we say all sort of things against GEJ and other politicians here. say it and be heard by one of his soldiers, then u have a room waiting for u in one of his dirty jail. The people are tired of all this, dats why they are asking for liberation.

we are africans, democracy and freedom of speech doesnt work for us. we always abuse it,
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2011
@igbsam, it only show how uncouth you are for calling others daft. Are you on this planet earth during the Iraqi war? What was the US looking for then? Have they found the WMDs till date? Agreed Gadaffi is bad but should that warrant the unnecessary invasion under the guise of no flyzone? Have they explore other options like negotiations, sending observers to mediate in the crisis? What about casualties and can u vouch that libyans are the major beneficiaries of this war? If there has to be reconstruction in a post Gadaffi era which companies and countries will be beneficiaries? Why are countries like China, Russia, Venezuela, Some of Arab league & african countries now against these air strikes? Why d seemingly rush & moves to assasinate Gadaffi cos i wouldnt be surprised should Britain, US and France give the order soon. Am not saying Gadaffi should sit tight but let genuine decisions outweigh personal and selfish interests (probably you too have a business interest thats at stake)? These are questions that needs objective consideration.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Chubhie: 2:00pm On Mar 22, 2011
violent:

Why do People make this thing an "American" thing?  when so many countries are involved?

America was one of the last countries to back military support, i don't see anyone mentioning France on this thread.

As for those who think because coalition forces haven't intervened in genocidal cases in the past, it shouldn't do the same in the future or the present, I wonder if you people have an IQ figure the same number as your age.
You talk am well broda. Atimes i wonder how some ppl reason on this forum. I must say i enjoy reading through the comments. Off topic- Gaddafi did well for his citizens by making that the libyian oil money went round in terms of the quality and d standard of living compared to other african nations. Do you know that d libyian dinar is as strong as d dollar? Am not holdn brief for Gaddafi. But then his ppl want freedom like going to clubs,drinkn etc. Do you know that he made d libyians to believe dat itz only slaves that work? He played into d hands of d west by killn his own ppl!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Chubhie: 2:01pm On Mar 22, 2011
violent:

Why do People make this thing an "American" thing?  when so many countries are involved?

America was one of the last countries to back military support, i don't see anyone mentioning France on this thread.

As for those who think because coalition forces haven't intervened in genocidal cases in the past, it shouldn't do the same in the future or the present, I wonder if you people have an IQ figure the same number as your age.
You talk am well broda. Atimes i wonder how some ppl reason on this forum. I must say i enjoy reading through the comments. Off topic- Gaddafi did well for his citizens by making that the libyian oil money went round in terms of the quality and d standard of living compared to other african nations. Do you know that d libyian dinar is as strong as d dollar? Am not holdn brief for Gaddafi. But then his ppl want freedom like going to clubs,drinkn etc. Do you know that he made d libyians to believe dat itz only slaves that work? He played into d hands of d west by killn his own ppl!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Fimmy(m): 2:56pm On Mar 22, 2011
U guys are not getting one thing right.GADAFFI attacked REBELS.rebels are not innocent under any constitution.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by violent(m): 3:29pm On Mar 22, 2011
Fimmy:

U guys are not getting one thing right.GADAFFI attacked REBELS.rebels are not innocent under any constitution.

under which constitution?  Libya does not even have a constitution, Gadaffi's word is Law! 

The so called rebels were initially peaceful protesters who took up arms after their government brought the might of the military on them!

Timehin:

@igbsam, it only show how uncouth you are for calling others daft. Are you on this planet earth during the Iraqi war? What was the US looking for then? Have they found the WMDs till date? Agreed Gadaffi is bad but should that warrant the unnecessary invasion under the guise of no flyzone? Have they explore other options like negotiations, sending observers to mediate in the crisis? What about casualties and can u vouch that libyans are the major beneficiaries of this war? If there has to be reconstruction in a post Gadaffi era which companies and countries will be beneficiaries? Why are countries like China, Russia, Venezuela, Some of Arab league & african countries now against these air strikes? Why d seemingly rush & moves to assasinate Gadaffi cos i wouldnt be surprised should Britain, US and France give the order soon. Am not saying Gadaffi should sit tight but let genuine decisions outweigh personal and selfish interests (probably you too have a business interest thats at stake)? These are questions that needs objective consideration.

For the umpteenth time, this is not Iraq, this is Libya.  the US should be held responsible for whatever happend in Iraq, in this case, several countries are speaking with the same voice, why is it difficult for you to even comprehend.

I don't see the lots of you coming out like ants to condemn Gaddaffi when he hired mercenaries to shoot his own people at random, I didn't see you earthworms crawling out when Gaddaffi resorted to the use of fighter jets on his own people. 

If you had been patient enough to follow the events of the news and not rush to brash conclusions, you would have realised that every diplomatic means possible has been explored, but the tyrant remained defiant. 

Again, if you had spent some time reading the news, you would have discovered that Russia is NOT against the invasion, President Dmitry Medvedev told Prime minister Putin to shut the fúck up, i took the time to find the excerpts for you, you can thank me later

By Monday evening disagreement between Putin and Medvedev looked even more evident as the Russian president called Putin’s statement “inadmissible.” “Russia did not exercise [the veto power] for one reason,” Medvedev retorted. “I do not consider this resolution to be wrong. Moreover, I believe that this resolution generally reflects our understanding of what is going on in Libya…It is absolutely inexcusable to use expressions that in effect lead to a clash of civilizations – such as ‘crusades,’ and so on. That is unacceptable,” Medvedev said.

Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Fimmy(m): 4:32pm On Mar 22, 2011
@ Violet. Libya has a written constitution,everything isnt decided by Gadaffi.get ur facts right.he did nothin wrong attackin the rebels in his nation.
So if the MEND starts attackin government n the military responds,the so called west will come?
LIBYA IS ATTACKED COS ITS A MUSLIM NATION N SHE HAS LOTS OF OIL.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by violent(m): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2011
Fimmy:

@ Violet. Libya has a written constitution,everything isnt decided by Gadaffi.get your facts right.he did nothin wrong attackin the rebels in his nation.
So if the MEND starts attackin government n the military responds,the so called west will come?
LIBYA IS ATTACKED COS ITS A MUSLIM NATION N SHE HAS LOTS OF OIL.

Get your facts right son, Libya has a constitution which became invalid after a military coup in 1969 which was led by Gadaffi.  Since then, Gaddafi's  Green book and oral pronouncement became law in Libya.

and NO, he did a lot wrong by shooting at peaceful protesters to begin with.  This is a video of how the protest began, many of those in the video have either been killed, or bombed into submission.  others fled Libya for their lives. ,  . .The protesters took up arms to fight for their lives and freedom.

[flash=435,325]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pF-POM0Dw?fs=1[/flash]

It's disturbing how evil the world has suddenly become. A tyrant bares the fang of his military on his people, and when outsiders intervene, the tyrant is seen as the victim shocked

what a world we live in!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Gbenge77(m): 5:25pm On Mar 22, 2011
thats really pathetic
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Ranoscky(m): 5:37pm On Mar 22, 2011
I comment my reserve!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Limaoscar: 5:55pm On Mar 22, 2011
Libyan bombing 'unconstitutional', Republicans warn Obama

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/22/libyan-conflict-unconstitutional-obama-warned

Republicans like to talk bullshit. I saw this coming. First they said Obama's administration re-acted too late, (John Mccain) now they are talking from both sides of the tongue. Too bad.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by manny4life(m): 6:56pm On Mar 22, 2011
Limaoscar:

Republicans like to talk bullshit. I saw this coming. First they said Obama's administration re-acted too late, (John Mccain) now they are talking from both sides of the tongue. Too bad.

Who is listening to the so-called Republicans? Besides, how is this unconstitutional? United States is a "Permanent Member" of the UN Security Council, so what ever resolutions done at the United Nations according to the treaties of UN nations of the Geneva Convention has nothing whatsoever to do with the U.S. Someone please correct me; is Libya not a member of the United Nations? Are they not subject to International laws and treaties? Now unless someone is trying to convince me otherwise, I support the intervention.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by mrofficial(m): 9:54pm On Mar 22, 2011
We are too much in Nigeria. Let's start ours grin grin grin
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Ranoscky(m): 9:56pm On Mar 22, 2011
Count me out!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by mrofficial(m): 9:57pm On Mar 22, 2011
^^ LWTMB. Ole!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Ranoscky(m): 10:20pm On Mar 22, 2011
Life Is sweet, man! grin
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by birdman(m): 6:03am On Mar 23, 2011
More than 8,000 Libyans aligned with the rebel movement that rose up against Muammar Gaddafi have been killed in the revolt against his rule, a spokesman for the rebel movement told Al Jazeera

1. So, 8000 rebels while fighting the govt died. What exactly is the problem. These were not civilians. If you fight in a war, you can expect to die. I LOVE how instead of calling them rebels, they refer to them as Libyans aligned with rebels.

2. This number is made up. Unless all the rebels were sitting around like a computer game, waiting to be killed off, this is not militarily possible in the time span. Far deadlier wars with way more firepower, like the battle for Anbar province in Iraq, and Sarajevo did not yield anywhere near this number on both sides in months of fighting. You expect us to believe this happened in Libya.

Lol. try again
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by birdman(m): 6:23am On Mar 23, 2011
uum . . . If you read the article again, you would understand that the man is not complaining of the military strikes. In period of one month, Ghaddafi has taken out 8000 of his own people. That is what the article is telling you.

8000 civilians in a month! If you believe this is possible, barring a mass extermination plan like gassing or mass graves, you need to have your head examined. How many Palestinians died during the VERIFIED shelling of civilian dwellings by Israel. Not even 1000. Yet Ghadaffi managed to wipe 8000 in one month. SMH
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:38am On Mar 23, 2011
The estimate seems far-fetched.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by eghost247(m): 6:48am On Mar 23, 2011
8000 no that's exageration!!!^^^^
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Kgdavid(m): 11:03am On Mar 23, 2011
shallow minded individuals with little knowledge trying to pass off as smart by subscribing to popular opinion(america the oil hungry bad guys invading arab nations) without being completely informed. it seems obvious to me that instead of watching the news as it unfolds, the lot of you would rather watch conspiracy theory moives and come back and multiply the little information you have with the false ideology that you posses.

1. the Libyan revolution started as a PEACEFUL PROTEST same as was held in egypt. for several days the protesters were brutally attacked and had etreme violence meted out to them till members of the military started defecting, supplying the protesters with arms and a means to defend themselves.

2. are you saying that american instigated thousands of libyans to take to the streets in the first place?

3. are you saying the no fly zone currently imposed by a coalition of nations sanction by the U.N and A.U and requested for by the Arab league is tantamount to an united states invasion of Libya?

4. is it not evidence of your simplistic way of thinking to assume that everyone inhabiting the rebel occupied cities are combatants?

if you want to be taken serious as political commentators then stop watchin those movies you love so much and start watching the news.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by birdman(m): 2:48pm On Mar 23, 2011
Kgdavid:

1. the Libyan revolution started as a PEACEFUL PROTEST same as was held in egypt. for several days the protesters were brutally attacked and had etreme violence meted out to them till members of the military started defecting, supplying the protesters with arms and a means to defend themselves.
You have no proof of the bolded part. Funny how within days of a peaceful protest, a well armed insurgency suddenly surfaces. Armed enough to beat back an army.

2. are you saying that american instigated thousands of libyans to take to the streets in the first place?
This is beside the point really

3. are you saying the no fly zone currently imposed by a coalition of nations sanction by the U.N and A.U and requested for by the Arab league is tantamount to an united states invasion of Libya?
The no-fly zone is an euphemism. It draws out the insurgency  and has likely balkanized Libya for good. If bombs are raining on your head, its safe to say you are being invaded regardles of what they tel you.

4. is it not evidence of your simplistic way of thinking to assume that everyone inhabiting the rebel occupied cities are combatants?
Is it not simplistic as well to assume the "8000" killed were civilians?

if you want to be taken serious as political commentators then stop watchin those movies you love so much and start watching the news.
on the flip side, it might help to actually analyse what you hear on the news, instead of swallowing it without thinking.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Kgdavid(m): 3:42pm On Mar 23, 2011
birdman:

You have no proof of the bolded part. Funny how within days of a peaceful protest, a well armed insurgency suddenly surfaces. Armed enough to beat back an army.
This is beside the point reallyThe no-fly zone is an euphemism. It draws out the insurgency and has likely balkanized Libya for good. If bombs are raining on your head, its safe to say you are being invaded regardles of what they tel you.
Is it not simplistic as well to assume the "8000" killed were civilians?
on the flip side, it might help to actually analyse what you hear on the news, instead of swallowing it without thinking.

1. the proof for that point was all over the news when it happened. the rebels broke into the armoury and took the weapons there which led to pro gaddafi efforts to bomb the armoury. if yu have also been following the news you would have known that the protesters are not well armed neither are they well trained. they were only able to make grounds because the libyan military underestimated them however when the then Libyan military regrouped the rebels were pushed back all the way to benghazi from tripoli and would have been exterminated if not for allied intervention.

2. its not beside the point since america has on this thread been accused of invading that country that gaddafi "developed beyond its peers". the question here is if all was fine in libya and americans are only here for profit then how did they manage to stir up such a massive uprising? it shows how little information people have about this conflict. are you aware thta initial efforts by the brittish to aid the rebels were refused?

3.no fly Zone is an euphimism for what exactly? an invasion? do you know what it takes to carry out a full scale invasion? the allied forces are taking out specific military targets to neutralize pro ghaddafi's unfair advantage. there are no ground forces involved, how exactly cn you reasonably call that an invasion? time and time agiain it has been clarified that gaddafi is not a target of the bombings and that he is not partof their mandate. it is not an invasion!

4. of course not all the killed were non combatants but the issue here is, as long as some of the killed were civillians with an extremely high tendency for more civilians to be kiled, international intervention was necessary. those clamouring that america is looking for oil are probably not even aware that obama haas said there will be zero ground forces involved and that the U.S is trying to pull back from its position of leadership but no other nation or organization wants to tke the lead.

but what exactly is your point?
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by pleep(m): 11:37pm On Mar 23, 2011
1. the proof for that point was all over the news when it happened. the rebels broke into the armoury and took the weapons there which led to pro gaddafi efforts to bomb the armoury. if yu have also been following the news you would have known that the protesters are not well armed neither are they well trained. they were only able to make grounds because the libyan military underestimated them however when the then Libyan military regrouped the rebels were pushed back all the way to benghazi from tripoli and would have been exterminated if not for allied intervention.

Alot of the protesters were Ex- military that deserted and joined the protestors. The rebel leaders are well trained. and they are well armed, they have several tanks and anti aircraft guns. The reason the protestors gained so much ground in the begining is because the Libyan army is weak and fragmented  with only about 25 thousand troops (they have been defeated by Chad) Ghadafi did not want it to be powerful enough to attempt another Coup.

gaddafi "developed beyond its peers"
life expectancy is about 70 yrs. Libya is considered a developed country. Thanks to Gaddafi

those clamouring that america is looking for oil are probably not even aware that obama haas said there will be zero ground forces involved and that the U.S is trying to pull back from its position of leadership but no other nation or organization wants to tke the lead.

Most of the oil activities in libya are controlled by a state owned company that keeps 49% of the profits, that makes it hard for multinational companies to make money. if a democracy is enacted in libya this state company will probably cease to exist, and shell, Bp, Exxon will swoop in. this crisis has also caused oil prices to rise. So as far as the U.S is concerned to quicker its over the better.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Kgdavid(m): 1:21am On Mar 24, 2011
1. some of the protester were indeed ex military but the rebels are not well trained because you cannot train civilians for combat within a week! and yes they had a few tanks and anti aircraft weapons but these are not to be compared with what gaddafi has. so you say they were able to make ground only because the libyan army is fragmented (ironically kinda proving my initial point) how then if i may ask were pro gaddafi forces able to push them back to benghazi?

2.libya is still classed as a developing country. but even if you say they are developed then ur saying the people have no reason to fight? then offer an explanation for whats going on in Libya right now

3. if a democracy is enacted, the libyan government gets to decide if any companies swoop in or not and under what terms. there is no reason why a democratic government cannot maintain such a regulatory body. you seem to either be totally ignorant of or deliberately ignore the fact that the u.s is aiming to achieve less involvement in this mission. if they were really just looking for a chance to grab some oil why didnt they act sooner?

why dont you make your stand point clear instead of attempting to counter me with aimless points. what is your own view of what is happening in libya vis a vis american involvement?
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by mamagee3(f): 1:23am On Mar 24, 2011
eghost247:

8000 no that's exageration!!!^^^^
You're exaggeration. tongue
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by birdman(m): 5:12am On Mar 24, 2011
Kgdavid:

This is the premise of this thread. That the news which you have been following is a little truth mixed with propaganda. My evidence? The 8000 casualties mentioned. I noticed that so far you havent been able to back it up. THIS really is the crux of the argument. LET ME REPEAT: a lot of major news outlets are propangadizing.

2. its not beside the point since america has on this thread been accused of invading that country that gaddafi "developed beyond its peers". the question here is if all was fine in libya and americans are only here for profit then how did they manage to stir up such a massive uprising? it shows how little information people have about this conflict. are you aware thta initial efforts by the brittish to aid the rebels were refused?
No, it shows how little information you have. There is a genuine democratic push trying to unseat Gadaffi. I have no qualms with this. THere is however, a region/tribal based uprising by those who enjoyed the spoils of power before Gadaffi took over. Those are the bulk of the Benghazi uprising. Funny how you never heard that in the news huh?

3.no fly Zone is an euphimism for what exactly? an invasion? do you know what it takes to carry out a full scale invasion? the allied forces are taking out specific military targets to neutralize pro ghaddafi's unfair advantage. there are no ground forces involved, how exactly cn you reasonably call that an invasion? time and time agiain it has been clarified that gaddafi is not a target of the bombings and that he is not partof their mandate. it is not an invasion!
ol boy why you dey talk like this. If another country drops bombs on your hometown, killing people, and herding them to locations they wish, is that not an invasion? Invasion does not need boots on the ground in the 21st century. Full scale or not doesnt matter.  Bombs kill, maim. What dont you get about this?

4. of course not all the killed were non combatants but the issue here is, as long as some of the killed were civillians with an extremely high tendency for more civilians to be kiled, international intervention was necessary. those clamouring that america is looking for oil are probably not even aware that obama haas said there will be zero ground forces involved and that the U.S is trying to pull back from its position of leadership but no other nation or organization wants to tke the lead.
So you agree that the number killed had rebels and civilians. Good. 8000 is still a bogus number. Finally, wether Obama wants oil, or want to build a golden tent is Libya is moot. The standard for invading another nation due to internal strife was never met. Pls don't compare this to Rwanda. Google that atrocity if you have to. This was an internal insurgency that would not have lasted another month. NO EXCUSE for wilfully prolonging the internal strife in the country

Glad you asked. 8000 killed is a lie. Now if they are lying to you about this, what else are they lying to you about?

[quote][/quote]
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Kgdavid(m): 11:30am On Mar 24, 2011
1. of couse i havent been able to back that number up and u'd be hard pressed to back up your claim that it is a bogus number for the very same reason that neither of us is there on the ground. however i have a much stronger standing as the figures i quote are reported by recognized news outlets who are on the ground. whether or not they are embellishing the facts is the subject of mere speculation and cannot be treated as fact.

2. of course i know that there are ethnic underrcurrents to the libyan crisis which is in fact probably the only reason why gaddafi has supporters but then if you are saying the uprising is off people who used to enjoy the spoils of power before gaddafi took over, then you are in effect saying gaddaffi has marginalized certain sections of the libyan people with respect to tribe? is this not just as wrong as any other act of mis-governance? in any case gaddaffi took over over 40 years ago with mot of the protesters being below the age of 40, what would they know about life before gaddaffi? does this explain why top ranking libyan officials who obviously would have been well off defected?

3.ok so no fly zone is an invasion of libya right? now after destroying gadafi's military might and the raids stop. would you say the invasion had been successful if gaddaffi is still in power? also who exactly would you say is invading libya? the U.S , Nato, britain, france, the arab league, the A.U etc, i guess ur obvious answer would be america since the whole point of this thread seems to be to point out how america are the bad guys. the fact you wold ignore is that this is a joint mission sanctioned by all relevant bodies and in fact the first strikes were made by france!

4.wat the heck are you talkin about? people were getting killed daily and you say the standard for international intervention was not met? sure the insurgency would not have lasted another month and you know why? because they were going to be massacred! gaddaffi publicly proclaimed that they would take benghazi ad there would be "no mercy"

your entire point is based on speculation that the figure of 8000 quoted is a lie and further speculation that since that must be a lie then they must be lying about other stuff. pure speculation based on which you make accusations which under the circumstances could amount to slander!
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Bastage: 11:51am On Mar 24, 2011
birdman:

8000 civilians in a month! If you believe this is possible, barring a mass extermination plan like gassing or mass graves, you need to have your head examined.

One word - Rwanda.

8000 is nothing to a regime that wants to kill it's opposition. Absolutely nothing. They could do it in the blink of an eye.

I'm not saying that it has happened but it is so feasible, you don't even need to question wether or not it can be done.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by cap28: 11:54am On Mar 24, 2011
this is pure garbage and a figment of the western propaganda machine's imagination, also its now been discovered that these rebels are actually trained al qaeda operatives who have been working from the get go with the US govt:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/u-s-government-backs-libyan-al-qaeda-while-hyping-terror-attacks-inside-u-s.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8391632/Libya-the-West-and-al-Qaeda-on-the-same-side.html
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by birdman(m): 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2011
1. At least you can put on your thinking cap and reason about the number. Have other similar conflicts produced the same number? Why is this one different? I keep saying it. Dont abandon your ability to think to others.

2. Question: would you have been ok with parts of Lagos being bombed by other countries during the 1993 election as IBB refused to leave?

3. SMH again. So if someone attacks you, then leaves its ok. Are you reading what you are writing?

4. Question again: During the Niger delta offensives under OBJ which killed innocents, would you have been ok with a coalition of countries leveling government targets Libya style?

your entire point is based on speculation that the figure of 8000 quoted is a lie and further speculation that since that must be a lie then they must be lying about other stuff. pure speculation based on which you make accusations which under the circumstances could amount to slander!

I just told you, as others have attested to that there is no precedence for those numbers. Its not speculation, its logic. Stop arguing blindly.
Re: More Than 8,000 Libyans Killed In Revolt: Rebel by Kgdavid(m): 5:28pm On Mar 24, 2011
1. there have really not been any such similar conflicts in recent times(where an incumbent uses the full might of the military indiscriminatly against his own people) but saddam hussein in a period of about 24 years killed over a million people in non combat situations. that translates to roughly 3 thousand deaths per month, y then is it so far fetched that during a combat period wer an incumbent releases the full force of the military in his control indiscriminately that 8 thousand could die?

2. dont really know wat happened in 1993 but ur example is wide off the mark as the no fly zone was not a product of gaddafis refusal to stand down but rather of his indiscriminate attacks on his own people. he appropriate example would be : during the biafra war would i have been ok with military installations in lagos being bombed? yes i would if i were on the biafra side

3. of course its not ok if someone attacks you and then leaves, thats the reason why there are rebels in libya today with the backing of the international community. dont lose the trail obread crumbs here, gaddaffi was the initial aggressor

4.again i dont know wat happened but its pretty clear that the international community has a responsibility to protect civillians from violence from their own leadership. have they always lived up to this responsibility? no. are they living up to it now? yes. any ulterior motives for this? possibly. any evidence of ulterior motives? none.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thai Girl ... Half Human, Half Snake / Were Would Europe Be Without Africa? / Graphic:: Russian Loses In Ukraine, Destroyed And Abandoned Hardwares. PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.