Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? (1459 Views)

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / What Is The Significance Of Your Tribe Name / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by sunch(m): 12:04am On Mar 23, 2011
Majority of young men that are ripe for marriage shy away from this, due to the bride's price.
Thinking it wld take them a fortune to pay. Though i think in some tribe it's on the high side.
Can we pls get to knw the various tribes bridal prices in the country.
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by slyopez(m): 11:33pm On Mar 23, 2011
U can opt for merryment if u wish, but the former is necessary.
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by sunch(m): 11:26pm On Apr 06, 2011
^^^
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by bashr4: 11:18pm On May 07, 2011
in my town in anambra its 4,500 plus about 2 gerrycans of palm wine,kola etc (shoudnt cost more than another 2 k)
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by namfav(m): 11:22am On May 10, 2011
slyopez:

In my tribe(Igbo) and my state(Anambra)precisely, bride price is just 2k with few kegs of wine for Indigene and 5k with same mentioned for non-indigene of that community. With just that u re married. U can opt for merryment if u wish, but the former is necessary.

that's cheap
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by sunch(m): 5:03pm On May 11, 2011
Why do we have so much children and immatured adults here nah. If you have nothing good to contribute why cant you just log out. Pls i need reasonable people here
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by sunch(m): 9:34pm On May 25, 2012
?
Re: Bride Price! What's The Requirements In Your Tribe ? by odumchi: 7:14am On May 26, 2012
Dowry is not consistent within an ethnicity. For example, among the Igbo, bride price fluxuates as you go from community to community. There are also factors that affect dowry such as; wealth, community regulations, and the local tradition.

In some towns (in Igboland), bride prices have been fixed by the community members in order to make marriage more affordable. Whereas, in others, it may depend solely on the negotiations/agreement reached with a bride's family.

In some places, the bride prices are high for ceremonious reasons but are eventually reduced within the marriage ceremony. Off course, this dowry excludes the cost of other parts of the marriage itself...

(1) (Reply)

Spare Me Yoruba Obas Supremacy Battle, Says New Ooni. Showers Praises On Tinubu / Lagos - Eko Roundabout Xmas Lightening Are Just Amazing - Aerial Night Footage. / When A King's Staff Is Being Stolen Away From Him , Pls I Need Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.