Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (6204 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Scarification In African Cultures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 7:01pm On Apr 17, 2011
Ndipe:

The one that I heard which was scary and practised in the past was a potential groom being flogged by the relatives of the bride before giving her out to him. If he cried from the strokes of the cane, end of the manner, he is sent home without the bride. It was practised in the Northern part of Nigeria.

Yeah, i have heard of this one too, scary and strange at the same time. But it seems it is kinda common in the north

Pweety4me:

Hmm what does that signify?is this the test of how 'Manly' or strong he is?

lol, just a test of his strength i guess undecided , marriage is not for the faint-hearted. That might be the message they are trying to pass along. Who knows? undecided
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2011
namfav:

hahaha, obviously it is a man only with the make up, i expect alot of women to be happy with this practice because it is the women who choose out of dozens of men for a husband/partner, the men are always disappointed never the women, the women can see the men clearly[b] how do men see women with make up grin[/b]

angry angry angry embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 2:33am On Apr 18, 2011
br3ast ironing in cameroon

Krahn tribe in Liberia that used to (perhaps still does) eat the hearts of other ppl
as a war sacrifice.

the nomadic tribe from west africa that travels the Sahara where the men are the ones
who wear make up and the women get to choose who they want for a mate. (hilarious grin grin)
i forgot their name tho. undecided

will think of more, if i can remember.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Ndipe(m): 1:30am On Apr 19, 2011
The dipo rites of Ghana, where young girls, prior to their marriage are made to vouch that they are still virgins in a fetish ceremony. The ones who arent or are pregnant are subsequently ostracized in the community. It was started according to what I read in the 11th century and the fetish ceremony is still held among the Krobo ethnic group.

I first read about this ceremony in the novel, "Harvest of Love" by Sam Aryeetey.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 9:33am On Apr 20, 2011
nanidee:

lol, just a test of his strength i guess undecided , marriage is not for the faint-hearted. That might be the message they are trying to pass along. Who knows? undecided

They lack knowledge then if that's the message, because it has the least bit to do with strength ha see ignorance! undecided
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 2:17am On Apr 29, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

br3ast ironing in cameroon

Krahn tribe in Liberia that used to (perhaps still does) eat the hearts of other ppl
as a war sacrifice.

the nomadic tribe from west africa that travels the Sahara where the men are the ones
who wear make up and the women get to choose who they want for a mate. (hilarious grin grin)

will think of more, if i can remember.

br3ast ironing in cameroon  shocked shocked

i sincery do hope this is not what i think, or what it sounds like?  sad

as a war sacrifice

okay, i want to beleive this was practiced in the last century.  angry

lol, please do try to remember the name. This sounds so funny. grin grin grin I can imagine the women sizing the men up, and then the men try so much to impress the women, in order to be married. lmao

will think of more, if i can remember

please do o, and the tribe as well wink
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 2:29am On Apr 29, 2011
Ndipe:

The dipo rites of Ghana, where young girls, prior to being marriage are made to vouch for their virginity in a fetish ceremony. The ones who are not virgins or are pregnant are subsequently ostracized in the community. It was started according to what I read in the 11th century and the fetish ceremony is still held among the Krobo ethnic group.

I first read about this ceremony in the novel, "Harvest of Love" by Sam Aryeetey.

This is rather kinda mean. So what then happens to the men who disvirgined these women?

In any case, I am certain once a girl sleeps with a guy before marriage, she already knows her fate. But come to think of it, I am sure a rape situation in this society could possibly lead to annihilation. embarassed
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 2:34am On Apr 29, 2011
Pweety4me:

They lack knowledge then if that's the message, because it has the least bit to do with strength ha see[b] ignorance[/b]! undecided

Lol, then again, that seems to be the brunt of the floggings [size=4pt]unknown to them [/size] grin grin grin
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by kandiikane(m): 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2011
25omega:

[color=#550000]

Quote from: 25omega on April 03, 2011, 02:29 AM
a culture i expirience which was strange to me because from what i know it is taboo was in Gambia where first cousins marry each other with no issue. it is some what expected. if you brother has a daugther and you have a son they link them for marriage at a later date.

i also found it strange that on the wedding night elders have to be in the room when the bride and groom consumate their marriage so they can prove that the woman is a virgin when they see blood. until i went to gambia i had never heard or seen that before

Cousin's marrying eachother is something that happens in cultures all around the world not just Gambia.

You are right about the elders(women) been in the room to check for signs of virginity.
It is still not a valid way to check for signs of virginity, many women are not born with it and this can cause a great deal of problems for them.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Ndipe(m): 12:21am On May 01, 2011
nanidee:

This is rather kinda mean. So what then happens to the men who disvirgined these women?

In any case, I am certain once a girl sleeps with a guy before marriage, she already knows her fate. But come to think of it, I am sure a violation situation in this society could possibly lead to  annihilation.  embarassed

Why should you be surprised? Women are usually the ones who take the blame in most of these dalliances while sometimes, the men go scott free. I was on facebook earlier when another woman labelled Camilla a(insert it) for breaking up Charles and Diana's marriage, and another girl commented that it took two to tango, so Charles should equally be culpable.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 1:20am On May 01, 2011
Yeah, you are definitely right. Women are most times, at the receiving end. The African society especially, depicts this.

LOL @ blaming only Camilla. (like she was having an affair with herself) SMH.

Most cultures (especially in the African descent) really do favor men.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 4:15am On Aug 11, 2012
I can't really pin point BUT the pygmies of central Africa do have some pretty weird customs.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 11, 2012
who the Bleep told u that?
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Ptolomeus(m): 11:19pm On Aug 12, 2012
nanidee:

In any case, I am certain once a girl sleeps with a guy before marriage, she already knows her fate. But come to think of it, I am sure a rape situation in this society could possibly lead to annihilation. embarassed
Very respectfully, Do not lose sight that it is ancestral customs. There civilizations "post so to speak" that unfaithful women stoned, or who mutilate their sex, Other "civilizations do not condemn women to be virgins eternal sinners, and condemns the nfierno (worst punishment for them). I follow the thread as being anecdotal, I do not agree with some practice, but I dare not judge a people, when others people make similar or worse atrocities, but the latter seem to be beyond good and evil. I hope nobody is offended. My respects.

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by adami: 5:39pm On Mar 15, 2015
Pweety4me:
Ripe because she saw her period?ripe for offspring?i mean what are we really saying about culture there na wa ooo.

that was many years ago when pple married early all over the world not just in Africa, so there's nothing wrong with the culture
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by adami: 5:56pm On Mar 15, 2015
ifyalways:
@Nanidee,No im not from Mgbidi but i have friends from there,been there.I believe that Mgbidi in the whole of Igboland is the only place where that culture exist.
i'm from mgbidi so let me tell u how this works
These days it's been toned down, we dont do the breast exposure thing anymore but my mother did it during her time. its called "ikwezi" or "fattening room" in English.It lasts for 2 weeks, during this time, the girl does not do any work at all. everyone is at ur beck and call for whatever u need. Usually 2 of ur younger female cousins will serve as ur servant gals, anything u want to eat will be prepared for u. there's this red thing called "uhe" which makes the skin soft, smooth and shiny wc u will rub all over ur body. the essence of all these is to make u look beautiful and fleshy for ur husband. On a major mkt day, u will go to the mkt with one of ur breast out cos it is beleived that when old women look at ur breast they'll know if a man has touched u or not( cos u r not supposed to have had sex), so it's not like anybody is allowed to touch ur breast just old women. In the evenings, pple will come to ur compound with drums n all 2 sing for u and u'll dance for and with them(this is the fun part grin) and ur servant gals will share coconut and dried fish to them. Any gal that gets preganant without doing this is considered an outcast and I enjoyed everybit of it, I ate so much and didnt do any house work not even picking a pin from the floor and anybody u send on errand, (except ur parents n elders of course) has to go, my brothers were so pained thay had to do all the work and I used to send them on useless errands they'll grumble but my parents'll be like "she's doing her ikwezi so u have 2 go" and the uhe made my skin look like a baby's. I wish i could continue using it afterwards but i can't be looking all red walking about.

and that's how "ikwezi" works.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Penssuwa(m): 8:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
I heard that in a particular place, a dead king is buried with 7 human heads. When a king dies, the young men would start hunting, and strangers are always the victims.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Family Of Late Oba Of Benin Are Tenants In The Kingdom-ogiamen Family / 10 Striking Differences Between Nigeria And Ghana / Why Is It A Disrespect To Use A Parable In The Midst Of Elders A Young Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.