Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (6201 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Scarification In African Cultures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by denzel2009: 4:08pm On Apr 05, 2011
In some African cultures, the wife is allowed to sleep with some of the husband's visitors throughout their visit as a sign of hospitality.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 9:53pm On Apr 05, 2011
ifyalways:

^^See this thing oooh  cheesy
Dirrrrrry unwashed douchebag with basic comprehension skills feeling funky,for real?  cheesy
You went to do copy and paste [/i]for moi? How in the world wud u know the meaning of Arrow when u can't [i]grasp tenses [/i]used in a sentence ni?
ROFL.
Mu he he
Lobotomy for super duper 1diots like you is free now,grab it while its available.In a couple of years from now,after u must have had your thick air-filled skull arranged,you wud come back  to this very thread to thank MEgrin

Run along dolt and Remain blessed in your profound mental reeeetardation.  kiss

After spending 3 mins of your life typing this poo up there what point did yu make? u really do [i]write a lot about urself undecided

ifyalways:

My bad,I did not see the Unclad part before I quoted her.
Well,where I know,The girls don't go around Unclad,they are attired with native beads and wrappers.
Yes,then,a girl who just saw her first period is ripe and ready for marriage.

It worked for them.

Still doesn't change the fact that u wrote this. . .kiddo plse grow up & make use of your brain sad

Anywayz i won't waste further tyme, trying to speak sense into sum ignorant high school drop-out, as her case seems pointless take care.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 10:52pm On Apr 05, 2011
cheesy
Dundee united u had to quote me twice cos ?,and your point really was
He he he,so it took u 3 mins to Google up lobotomy?.
Pointless ko,Pointmore ni . . miss air head high school graduate,you obviously are one of 'em Google and Wikipedia graduates kiss
Goodluck on the brain-filling thingy. . .hope u come out with atleast a dead rats medulla.
Much love,from me to toi. kiss
Lol
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:15pm On Apr 05, 2011
ifyalways was saying that back in those days ("then"), a woman who had her first period was considered marriage eligible in certain cultures. She was not saying that it is her belief that a girl is marriage eligible once she has her period. People should read statements more carefully and in context or ask for clarification if they still don't get it, before rushing to confront somebody based on their own (mis)interpretations of what is stated.

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 11:38pm On Apr 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

ifyalways was saying that back in those days ("then"wink, a woman who had her first period was considered marriage eligible in certain cultures. She was not saying that it is her belief that a girl is marriage eligible once she has her period. People should read statements more carefully and in context or ask for clarification if they still don't get it, before rushing to confront somebody based on their own (mis)interpretations of what is stated.

Lol, i never said she wrote the culture did i?the girl is a kid she chose to have a fit instead of being sensible about things.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by beautyline(f): 11:37am On Apr 06, 2011
I heard that in Ghana, the children answer the mother's family name and not the father's. That's strange to me!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2011
denzel2009:

In some African cultures, the wife is allowed to sleep with some of the husband's visitors throughout their visit as a sign of hospitality.
This is one culture that I can't seem to figure out considering that a greater % of African men are extremely jealous.
Lol,Wonder If the women then were wise enough to utilize this culture. . .invite the bootycall to the house and have him legally all night.  cheesy,Perhaps there is a sort of measure in place to determine who[i] qualifies[/i] as an over-night guest? lol

cool @PhysicsMHD

1 Like

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 10:36pm On Apr 06, 2011
beautyline:

I heard that in Ghana, the children answer the mother's family name and not the father's. That's strange to me!

lol 90% of ghanaian men get beat up by the women!! grin
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Ndipe(m): 11:23pm On Apr 06, 2011
beautyline:

Dunno about answering their mother's family name, but I know among the Ashanti's, the children hail from the mothers side, and not from the fathers village.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 8:02pm On Apr 08, 2011
Does part of the edo culture involve trafficking?exploiting young ladies for prostitution & money purposes in Italy?!!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by obowunmi(m): 8:03pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^ how is sex exploitation, child, and human trafficking part of a culture ?
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 8:49pm On Apr 08, 2011
^^^I don't know but i watched a documentary & this is what they did.

& i said exploiting ladies for prostitution i did not mention children.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by obowunmi(m): 9:26pm On Apr 08, 2011
What I'm trying to say is that it's not part of the culture. smiley Na poverty make crayfish bend --- so people often resort to all sorts of nuances to make ends meet.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 9:29pm On Apr 08, 2011
@ ifyalways,

These days,they seem to have modernized it, but i am aware that it still exists, but definitely not as extreme as that.

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 9:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
hornyimam:

Human rituals by ibos.

comon, and who said that was a culture?? undecided undecided

Pweety4me:

@OP CHEI!!i neva hear dat1 imagine violation!! shocked cheesy

lol, maybe the girls used to enjoy the breast pressing, you never can tell wink

25omega:

a culture i expirience which was strange to me because from what i know it is taboo was in Gambia where first cousins marry each other with no issue. it is some what expected. if you brother has a daugther and you have a son they link them for marriage at a later date.

i also found it strange that on the wedding night elders have to be in the room when the bride and groom consumate their marriage so they can prove that the woman is a virgin when they see blood. until i went to gambia i had never heard or seen that before

This is totally weird. I have heard of a culture like this, but what sounds pretty strange (like you observed) in this particular one is the fact that the elders have to be in the same room, lol
Imagine the elders looking at your wife's unclothed body. Na wa o
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2011
armyofone:

very huge tribal marks on face

This is really gross, lo But many years ago, some cultures used it on children who were suspected to be abikus,

denzel2009:

Ha, if you were pinocchio, i suspect your nose would have grown longer after this post, tongue tongue tongue

ifyalways:

This is one culture that I can't seem to figure out considering that a greater % of African men are extremely jealous.
Lol,Wonder If the women then were wise enough to utilize this culture. . .invite the bootycall to the house and have him legally all night.  cheesy,Perhaps there is a sort of measure in place to determine who[i] qualifies[/i] as an over-night guest? lol

grin grin grin grin

beautyline:

Pweety4me:

lol 90% of ghanaian men get beat up by the women!! grin
grin grin grin
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 2:47am On Apr 09, 2011
obowunmi:

What I'm trying to say is that it's not part of the culture. smiley Na poverty make crayfish bend --- so people often resort to all sorts of nuances to make ends meet.
Ok noted.

nanidee:

lol, maybe the girls used to enjoy the bosom pressing, you never can tell wink
]
[color=#550077]God 4bid bad thing! lipsrsealed

nanidee:

grin grin grin
Did u not read that news? lol
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 10:46am On Apr 09, 2011
@Nanidee,No im not from Mgbidi but i have friends from there,been there.I believe that Mgbidi in the whole of Igboland is the only place where that culture exist.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by namfav(m): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2011
my woɗaaɓe brothers and the guerewol

Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 12:32pm On Apr 11, 2011
^^^ Jeez, is that a mask or something? looks really hideous. shocked (no offense to the tribe)
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 12:49pm On Apr 11, 2011
namfav:

my woɗaaɓe brothers and the guerewol

What do they do?Eat bottles?

I've seen some guys eat bottles and all kinds of unimaginable stuffs.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by namfav(m): 12:57pm On Apr 11, 2011
it's a beauty pageant, the men make up to attract the woman
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 1:01pm On Apr 11, 2011
namfav:

wow.

It wud be fun,I guess.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys! Enough!

Ify and Pweety, end this immediately!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2011
LOL^ .

You sound like a high school teacher.I can just picture u on ur heels,skirt drawn to the breast,tucked and trim,bogus eyeglass and ur cane. cheesy

Seriously,We are good now. kiss
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by nanidee(f): 1:50pm On Apr 11, 2011
namfav:

So are you saying that is a man? and if the men make-up that way, how will the women see their real faces
undecided

ifyalways:

wow.

It wud be fun,I guess.

or scarysad
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by namfav(m): 1:57pm On Apr 11, 2011
hahaha, obviously it is a man only with the make up, i expect alot of women to be happy with this practice because it is the women who choose out of dozens of men for a husband/partner, the men are always disappointed never the women, the women can see the men clearly how do men see women with make up grin
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2011
ifyalways:

LOL^ .

You sound like a high school teacher.I can just picture u on your heels,skirt drawn to the bosom,tucked and trim,bogus eyeglass and your cane. cheesy

Seriously,We are good now. kiss

Ahahahahhaahhaha!
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Ndipe(m): 11:02pm On Apr 11, 2011
The one that I heard which was scary and practised in the past was a potential groom being flogged by the relatives of the bride before giving her out to him. If he cried from the strokes of the cane, he is sent home without the bride. It was practised in the Northern part of Nigeria.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by ifyalways(f): 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2011
Ndipe:

The one that I heard which was scary and practised in the past was a potential groom being flogged by the relatives of the bride before giving her out to him. If he cried from the strokes of the cane, end of the manner, he is sent home without the bride. It was practised in the Northern part of Nigeria.
I have actually seen this life,in Enugu.

Ol'boy na real fire.Dem no dey joke at all.
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by Pweety4me(f): 4:23am On Apr 16, 2011
Ndipe:

The one that I heard which was scary and practised in the past was a potential groom being flogged by the relatives of the bride before giving her out to him. If he cried from the strokes of the cane, end of the manner, he is sent home without the bride. It was practised in the Northern part of Nigeria.

Hmm what does that signify?is this the test of how 'Manly' or strong he is?
Re: Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced by doris0991: 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africa As Seen On TV In The US / Family Of Late Oba Of Benin Are Tenants In The Kingdom-ogiamen Family / 10 Striking Differences Between Nigeria And Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.