Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,374 members, 7,861,029 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:25 PM

Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement (5788 Views)

The Galloping Naira V Dollar. My Opinion! / 2023 Election: What Does Tinubu Mean By This Statement? / Naira V. Dollars: Today's Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by overseasnbeyond: 12:49am On Dec 06, 2020
You need to change the weeds you high on to clear your brain.
Do you know how long it takes to make 500 in naija? To some people is a whole day while you can make $8 in just 1 hr that is the minimum wage in some state.
Saifulah
post=96765697:

Your thoughts!

Modified;
I have seen some arguments that are off point at a tangent. The idea is comparing the naira to the dollar in terms of their purchasing power after adjustments for inflation and cost of living (in our case also for tariffs, imported inflation etc)

So for instance we could compare cost of 0.75cl of water in the US and Nigeria. or other products that are locally produced in each country
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by ednut1(m): 1:27am On Dec 06, 2020
Why do people always compare self
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Etinosa12345: 2:16am On Dec 06, 2020
Snitch24:

bro even a street begger makes over 500$ monthly u can't compare the comfortability there to the suffering here

and again u will be lucky to get a pay of 200$ here
do ur calculations base on minimum wages bro
Nigeria is bleeped up

This is a lie and u know it...

Stop painting abroad as heaven
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Aufbauh(m): 5:03am On Dec 06, 2020
I don't know why common basic economic knowledge is lacking in some persons.

Some persons are asking why not compare #1 to $1 instead of #500 to $1?

The value of local currency is in the purchasing power within the locality and not in the figure in the denomination. This is why you can easily be a millionaire in Zimbabwe and will not be in Nigeria with the conversation of Zimbabwe dollar.

That is why we have what is referred to as PPP Purchasing Power Parity which varies across different countries.

As for the minimum wage earning, that's where quality of life or standard of living comes into play. Even though the dollar is not easy to make as erroneously thought of in Nigeria.

If Nigerians are being paid the same minimum wage with the Americans considering the PPP in Nigeria we'll have hype-inflation and won't make economic sense. It's not possible in practice either.

If Nigeria can keep the $1 to #150 afloat exchange rate, i bet us we'll live a better quality life than those in the US.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by OlujobaSamuel: 5:37am On Dec 06, 2020
In doing this comparison, you need to also factor in how long it's going to take you to earn such amount, that is, 1$ in US and 500₦ in Nigeria, with that it's going to be a fair comparison.
How many people earn $1000 in the US as compared to those that earns ₦500000 in Nigeria at the end of each month.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Amos1423(m): 6:26am On Dec 06, 2020
The comparison shouldn't be what 500 can get you against $1 but what 1 naira can get you, simple!

Besides, let's not forget if 1 dollar were to be used in Nigeria today, it would get us everything 500 can give but can you use 500 naira and get the same thing in the United States, you'd probably need more of 500 to get the least thing as a paste.

Mad people everywhere!
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by nervorum: 6:32am On Dec 06, 2020
Nwaide01:
The mumurism of some members of this forum is out of this world. OK you can an iPhone at $1000 in the USA but here it will be #500,000 so between us and them who can easily afford it. Again $1 is to Americans as #1 is to us, so whoever put that argument there need to have his or her head examined.

I agree with you. I think it's inaccurate to base the power of the naira on comparison between what the usd can buy and what the naira equivalent of the usd can buy. Affordability is an impt variable often overlooked. It seems more correct to compare 1usd with 1ngn.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by SEGLIZ: 6:40am On Dec 06, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:
my question is, what can 1naira purchase in Nigeria??
When are we going to compare $1 to 1 naira??

I believe you didn't join the thread half way, you followed from the first post.
no one is here comparing 1dollar to 1naira but 1dollar to 500naira.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by depure(m): 6:46am On Dec 06, 2020
Aufbauh:

The value of local currency is in the purchasing power within the locality and not in the figure in the denomination. This is why you can easily be a millionaire in Zimbabwe and will not be in Nigeria with the conversation of Zimbabwe dollar.

That is why we have what is referred to as PPP Purchasing Power Parity which varies across different countries.

As for the minimum wage earning, that's where quality of life or standard of living comes into play. Even though the dollar is not easy to make as erroneously thought of in Nigeria.

If Nigerians are being paid the same minimum wage with the Americans considering the PPP in Nigeria we'll have hype-inflation and won't make economic sense. It's not possible in practice either.

If Nigeria can keep the $1 to #150 afloat exchange rate, i bet us we'll live a better quality life than those in the US.
come out for president you get my vote

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by nervorum: 7:05am On Dec 06, 2020
thebosstrevor1:
PPP( Purchasing power parity)

NIGERIA IS CHEAP TO LIVE IN.

IF YOU KNOW YOU KNOW

Nigeria is cheap to live in cos standard of living is low and quality of life is poor. This does not in any way intend to put Nigeria down.

Maybe if you make adjustments for both variables your conclusion would be wrong.

Determination of how cheap a place is cannot be made solely on PPP. Corrections and adjustments shld be made. I'm no economist, just experienced.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by nervorum: 7:19am On Dec 06, 2020
Aufbauh:

I like your argument.

PPP is useless in evaluating the power of a currency beyond serving as a measure of value of a local currency within that locality.

I also agree that if the naira firms up against the usd sustainably and minimum wage improves significantly we would have an improved quality of life.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by themaestro08(m): 7:36am On Dec 06, 2020
Saifulah:
Your thoughts!

Modified;
I have seen some arguments that are off point at a tangent. The idea is comparing the naira to the dollar in terms of their purchasing power after adjustments for inflation and cost of living (in our case also for tariffs, imported inflation etc)

So for instance we could compare cost of 0.75cl of water in the US and Nigeria. or other products that are locally produced in each country

Obviously untrue. With less than 1$ you get this in the US

•1 litre of milk(whole fat milk)
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by themaestro08(m): 7:38am On Dec 06, 2020
Praxis758:
Yes, very correct.

With $1 here in the US, you can only buy 1 0.75l of bottled water or some canned drinks, remember tax of some cents will be added.

Though the effect of serial naira devaluation has crippled the purchasing power of Naira, but with N500, you can buy many things in Nigeria like soap, creams, toothpaste, excercise books and some others.

If anyone doubt my comment, let him prove me wrong and I'll personally go to Food Lion, Family Dollar store are take shots of their prices to see if one dollar products are common.

Though there's a store called 1 dollar store, 70% of their products are $1 but you'll still be taxed.

No where in Nigeria will you get 1 litre of whole fat milk at 500 naira angry
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by themaestro08(m): 7:41am On Dec 06, 2020
adeyemik:
With N500 you can load you stomach and have some change:

Bread: N100
Beans: N100
Meat/fish: N100
Coke Cola': N100
×××××××××××××××
Total: N400. N400
Eva Water: : N100. 2 Pure Water: N20
Change. 0 N80

Beans 100? Is that _for 7 years old angry?
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by LikeAking: 8:28am On Dec 06, 2020
How person go dey compare Nigeria with the USA?

The billionaires HQ

Op stop this nonsense.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by LikeAking: 8:29am On Dec 06, 2020
themaestro08:

U don go AMERICA B4?
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by LikeAking: 8:32am On Dec 06, 2020
Aufbauh:

You are a wise man.

APC mugus one confuse people.

The right thing to do is compare $1 to 1 Naira.

Simple truth.

Nigerians wake up from this backward thinking.

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by LikeAking: 8:34am On Dec 06, 2020
Saifulah:
Your thoughts!

Modified;

Take this rubbish post down pls.

It was created to deceive the Nigerian masses.

You should compare $1 to 1 Naira.
Thats the correct example.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Depressed101: 8:59am On Dec 06, 2020
helinues:
That's a lie... With $1, you can buy things in Usa like bottle soft drinks e.t.c
they still use coins to (cents)
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by SEGLIZ: 8:59am On Dec 06, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:
my question is, what can 1naira purchase in Nigeria??
When are we going to compare $1 to 1 naira??

one thing folks around don't realise is this, the world economy has made for south every country is technically staying afloat.
one thing is america and it's currency has their own issues bedevilling them. within its locality dollar has its own liability but looking at the exchange rate against Naira seems huge but their individual purchasing power within their jurisdiction is the real value.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by chrisblack: 10:56am On Dec 06, 2020
adeyemik:
With N500 you can load you stomach and have some change:

Bread: N100
Beans: N100
Meat/fish: N100
Coke Cola': N100
×××××××××××××××
Total: N400. N400
Eva Water: : N100. 2 Pure Water: N20
Change. 0 N80
bread #100 na air full am
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by chrisblack: 11:02am On Dec 06, 2020
SEGLIZ:

one thing folks around don't realise is this, the world economy has made for south every country is technically staying afloat.
one thing is america and it's currency has their own issues bedevilling them. within its locality dollar has its own liability but looking at the exchange rate against Naira seems huge but their individual purchasing power within their jurisdiction is the real value.
partially agreed with you. However the real issues cuts across currency relativity, quality and quantity.Whay can N1 buy in Nigeria.in many instances what $10 can get in terms of value and quality,I doubt if N5000 can
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Ayed44: 11:13am On Dec 06, 2020
shocked
Saifulah:
Your thoughts!

Modified;

Maybe we should pray that one dollar should be equal to 3000 naira so we can beat our chest that what one dollar can't buy in the US our beloved 3000 naira can buy it in Nigeria.

Illiterates everywhere!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 06, 2020
Aufbauh:

If Nigeria can keep the $1 to #150 afloat exchange rate, i bet us we'll live a better quality life than those in the US

Even if we are to compare 1 dollars to 500 naira.

With 500 naira in Nigeria, you will still be able to afford something to eat for a day while with 1 dollar in the united states, you will be able to afford only water.

You claimed that if 1 dollars is equal to 150 naira, Nigeria will have a better quality of life. I will write this, exchange rates does not determine the quality of life in a country but productivity of the people.

Why are things expensive in developed countries.

manufacturing in developing country is highly productive, allowing firms to pay high wages and still charge internationally competitive prices. Those high wages also drive up pay in services, which must compete for workers. Since productivity is low in services, high pay translates into high prices, pushing up the overall cost of living.
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Praxis758: 11:41am On Dec 06, 2020
Neither can u get same here with $1.

I'm not praising the abnormal gap between naira and dollar but was making clarification on the purchasing power in the local market.

Remember the US has cent which too is economically weak but they see it a national heritage.

themaestro08:

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 06, 2020
nervorum:

Nigeria is cheap to live in cos standard of living is low and quality of life is poor. This does not in any way intend to put Nigeria down.

Maybe if you make adjustments for both variables your conclusion would be wrong.

Determination of how cheap a place is cannot be made solely on PPP. Corrections and adjustments shld be made. I'm no economist, just experienced.

Japan is cheap to live in when compared with the US, does that mean standard of living is low and the quality of life is poor.

Things are cheap in Nigeria because of cheap labour.

Cheap labor is abundant in Nigeria, goods can be produced at lower cost when compared to developed countries.

1 Like

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 06, 2020
jmoore:
A wise person compares $1 to 1 Naira.

A wise person compares $500 to 500 Naira.

But many are not wise

Modified: The op modified his post to talk about PPP.
The dell laptop you imported from USA, will it be cheaper in Nigeria? What about the iPhone? What about an electric car?

Take a look around you and see products imported.

It's ridiculous to always talk about FOOD when referring to PPP.

More notes outsourced below.

My thought exactly bro !!!

I have been longing to read a wise comment like this

Nigeria have been brainwashed to believe 1&500 are supposed to be the same

NB : that’s my one week pay in the pix ..Lolz ( $1000)

��

How many of people in Nigeria even have that in their acct in a life time ?
Comparing $1 to #500 it’s a shame

What happens to your own #1

Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2020
Praxis758:
Yes, very correct.

With $1 here in the US, you can only buy 1 0.75l of bottled water or some canned drinks, remember tax of some cents will be added.

Though the effect of serial naira devaluation has crippled the purchasing power of Naira, but with N500, you can buy many things in Nigeria like soap, creams, toothpaste, excercise books and some others.

If anyone doubt my comment, let him prove me wrong and I'll personally go to Food Lion, Family Dollar store are take shots of their prices to see if one dollar products are common.

Though there's a store called 1 dollar store, 70% of their products are $1 but you'll still be taxed.

Since you are comparing 1 , what happened to $1 to #1?

Economy of naija is bad you dey aid them ?!

You want to buy something at dollar tree and dollar general to snap

Tell a Nigerian to snap what he can buy with 1 naira!
Re: Naira V Dollar: How True Is This Statement by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2020
olymyk:

My thought exactly bro !!!

I have been longing to read a wise comment like this

Nigeria have been brainwashed to believe 1&500 are supposed to be the same

NB : that’s my one week pay in the pix ..Lolz ( $1000)

��

How many of people in Nigeria even have that in their acct in a life time ?
Comparing $1 to #500 it’s a shame

What happens to your own #1

Even if your week pay is 1000 dollars, a person with 1000 dollars per month in Nigeria, will be able to live a very comfortable life in Nigeria compare to you that earn 1000 dollars a week

The reason is Wages are low in Nigeria, so things will be cheaper.

Wages are high in america so it is logical that the cost of goods will be high.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ESN: IPOB Accepts Nigeria Military Confrontation After Airstrike - pics / World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds / Oyebanji Urges Ekiti Residents To Accept Old Naira Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.