Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? (19793 Views)

Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Top 6 Reasons Your Check Engine Light May Be On And Also Blinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by jacobjamie(m): 8:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
prodigyy:
Who told you i need a husband?
I have my cool money, a flashy lexus.

So gedifuck outta here
oh sorry I mean a WIFE.....since the husband never came with such attitude ...
Cool money can be 50k to some girls like you but not to everyone .....a flashy Lexus Es200 1999 still in ur dreams ....
U that can't even buy a Jamb / SSCE form ? Girls and mouth ehn
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Henrhyme4u(m): 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
gbagyiza:

You said something about working on the ECU, you need to furnish us with the information with regards to what they did on the ECU. Replacing a used ECU can trigger the above MIL you mentioned, most especially if these faults were already registered in the memory of the new ECU you put. And have it in mind that if those faults you listed above r temporary faults, the technician just need to clear it off the ECU memory n everything will be alright but if they r permanent faults, I advise that you seek for a well-experienced technician to help you out. Call me on 08060788299 to further assist on what do to.( An Automobile Engineer).
If all the sign displayed in yellow there is no cause for alarm the alarm there is when
the signs displayed in red and the check engine light keep blinking, however you can contact a good technician.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by jacobjamie(m): 8:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
prodigyy:
Come to my workshop.

It is located in my vjay grin
na them ......
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Henrhyme4u(m): 8:42pm On Dec 09, 2020
12inchess:
Let me tell u something. My wife car experienced something like this recently. I connected it to OBD and it was something about the thermostat. That was the same reason her heater was not getting hot. I'd advice u to get an OBD for your car. It's not very expensive. Like 10k. You can use it to check the error code.Google the interpretation of each error code online. If u take it to a mechanic, he may not even check the code. He will just clear it. This can result to a worse problem for ur vehicle in the future. The check engine light coming on is a warning sign that something is wrong which may be serious or not. Wiping the warning doesn't remove the problem. It just hides the notification.
You are absolutely correct, but removing the battery for a while will let you know if it's something simple as the check engine warning light will disappear for a while b4 resurfacing
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Keepkalm(m): 8:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
Oh ts nothing get an ODB2 scanner to clear the codes.. ABS and VSC are not auto essentials. they are only useful if you live in a country where there is snow on the ground. get an ODB2 scanner and clear the codes

tire pressure just check manually every week

emmision ? no wahala.
omo this wrong oo. ABS( anti-lock braking sytem) and VSC( vehicle stability control) are very important to the vehicle. The fault in the car maybe just from the VSC that's why the ABS is on. The VSC is a system under the ABS, that's why the ABS light is on too. I'm an automotive technician in training at automedics ltd at illupeju, Lagos. Take your vehicle to a good auto shop. It will be fixed properly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by sojiadebayo: 9:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
My check engine light has been on for weeks now. I know it's bad but I barely have time to visit a mechanic except for recently when I had a brain box issue.

The follow warnings are on my dashboard.

1. Check emisson system
2. Check Tire pressure sensor
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

That's all. I'm worried that this may not be the reasons why the check engine light is on.

I have ran a diagnostic scan and they pointed to the same things but this things are not easy fix cuz I drive an Acura and some of these things are not easy to comeby.

I know the emission system is a big issue cuz my car engine area is always very hot and I noticed some disconnection in some of those big pipes that channels air through the car but how do I best fix this! Help a brother.

Is it advisable to just wipe the warnings or I have to fix them cuz the guy that ran the diagnostic said he can just help me to wipe all the warnings and I won't have to worry anymore. Is that right sha!?

to wipe it off ke
chai the guy must be typical biafra man living in Nigeria
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Dollanaira: 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2020
Some are there to stay
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by vislabraye(m): 9:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
My check engine light has been on for weeks now. I know it's bad but I barely have time to visit a mechanic except for recently when I had a brain box issue.

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

That's all. I'm worried that this may not be the reasons why the check engine light is on.

I have ran a diagnostic scan and they pointed to the same things but this things are not easy fix cuz I drive an Acura and some of these things are not easy to comeby.

I know the emission system is a big issue cuz my car engine area is always very hot and I noticed some disconnection in some of those big pipes that channels air through the car but how do I best fix this! Help a brother.

Is it advisable to just wipe the warnings or I have to fix them cuz the guy that ran the diagnostic said he can just help me to wipe all the warnings and I won't have to worry anymore. Is that right sha!?

Check Engine sign is not a bad thing. It's an indication that something is not right with your engine.
Like people have been saying, take it to a good mechanic. You will spend quite alot but the problem will ne fixed.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by femi4: 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

You can fix no2 on your own. Inflate all tires including the spare . Then reset the tire pressure sensor by putting ignition in ON (dashboard lights on) position and press the reset button for about 5secs. The light will blink twiceand go off.

For others, try another obd scanner
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Malawian(m): 9:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
prodigyy:
Come to my workshop.

It is located in my vjay grin
Ok, I go bring spanner 23 come.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by pswglobal(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROTECT YOUR ENGINE FROM AVOIDABLE DAMAGE. IF THE YELLOW LIGHT BELOW IS ON YOUR DASHBOARD; BRING YOUR CAR FOR A FREE AUTO DIAGNOSING AND KNOW WHAT IS EXACTLY WRONG IN YOUR ENGINE.

�� DATE: Sunday, 1st - 30th December, 2020.

�� TIME: 10am

Enquiry: 08160410085

Note: I will be attending to only 10 persons daily.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by shereef19: 9:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
I sell obd to diagnose the car to no d problem... Contact me on 0 8 1 3 9 7 2 2 2 3 6
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by kunle75(m): 9:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

Go to auto section and reach out to oga gazzuz

That man is an expert i use him when I was in naija and still trust him till tomorrow
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by DAVE5(m): 9:54pm On Dec 09, 2020
AMvanquish:
He can wipe the errors away but it will be back before the week runs out. You still need to visit a good mechanic.

Wiping error messages is one of the greatest car mistake I hate, you’d just be compounding your car's problem cos you’re only hiding the message from yourself while the problem stays and affects other components

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by pooozeee(m): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2020
Don't wipe the codes off without resolving the issue.

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 10:06pm On Dec 09, 2020
my brother visit your mechanics o! before you start seeing check Buhari on your dash board too.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by mywells: 10:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system
fix all these and thee check engine would disappeared.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by obiekunie2: 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
oga!

them don thief ur indomie, swap your spare tyre and your front wheel ABS switches!

NO EVER TRUST ANY MECHANIC WITH YOUR CAR!

I LEARNT IT THE HARD WAY!
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by 2special(m): 10:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

I'm having same issues on my car. The Car sucks fuel too much.

I was told to exhaust is leaking don't know how realistic that is.
hope the catalyst is still in your vehicle, very easily to remove and it cost about 15k..ask an expert to help you confirm whether the catalyst is still intact hence your vehicle will be consuming fuel.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by ndidibabe(f): 10:38pm On Dec 09, 2020
Amotekun777:
Remove one of your battery wires for like 60 secs and put it back on. cool
?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by 9icetoo(m): 11:12pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Could be true cuz the car sat at an unsafe place for a few days. I'll have it checked. Thank you
There is no relationship between your catalyst and your abs and tpms. Take your car to a good mechanic. You changed brain box, start there. Get your old brain box, copy the part number and compare that with the new one installed. If they aren't the same, then start from there. Look for damaged abs wires or connections.
Your tpms sensors may have died or you are low or have too much pressure in your tires. Sort that out.
Above all, scan your car with a proper scanner (not the generic scanners) and post the codes.
If you are in lagos, look for Gazzuzz, autologic or radautoworks.
They will sort you out.
Acuras are sturdy. Two years plus and no lights on my dashboard.

3 Likes

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by AMvanquish: 11:20pm On Dec 09, 2020
DAVE5:

Wiping error messages is one of the greatest car mistake I hate, you’d just be compounding your car's problem cos you’re only hiding the message from yourself while the problem stays and affects other components

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Amotekun777: 11:21pm On Dec 09, 2020
ndidibabe:
?

What does a fellow like you know abt automotive? angry
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 11:28pm On Dec 09, 2020
Keepkalm:

omo this wrong oo. ABS( anti-lock braking sytem) and VSC( vehicle stability control) are very important to the vehicle. The fault in the car maybe just from the VSC that's why the ABS is on. The VSC is a system under the ABS, that's why the ABS light is on too. I'm an automotive technician in training at automedics ltd at illupeju, Lagos. Take your vehicle to a good auto shop. It will be fixed properly.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/list-of-cars-without-abs.204846/

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/09/how-to-stop-on-a-slippery-road-without-anti-lock-brakes-abs/

ABS started being required to be put in vehicles from 2007. all vehicles made before 2007 dont have ABS
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by ndidibabe(f): 11:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
Amotekun777:

What does a fellow like you know abt automotive? angry
Imagine...
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by kudos4u(m): 12:11am On Dec 10, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

if there's a check engine sign on your dashboard it's better you diagnose it, your problem might be Catalyst and not exhaust leakage.

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by computerglobal(m): 12:53am On Dec 10, 2020

The more you know about the vehicle the safer you will be. Run a VIN check and verify critical facts you need to buy a used car with confidence. Check the title status, previous odometer readings and the current market of the vehicle. Do as many checks as possible to ensure you are getting a legitimate offer.

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10000072_vehiclehistoryreport_jpeg3e8dde5a1fb4cccbf6626e983b2598da
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by LordVaiki: 1:11am On Dec 10, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

probably a bad catalyst converter or bad sensors on the combustion chamber.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by breezeng: 3:34am On Dec 10, 2020
My Rav4 2008 has been showing 4WD light. Mechanic said I should continue using it like that. It's a 4 wheel drive car. Over a year now. Anyone with such issue here please?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by cardoctor(m): 3:44am On Dec 10, 2020
A car technician without a professional scanner is wasting his/ her time. Get the scanned and all the issues will be identified.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by AerialMapper: 6:10am On Dec 10, 2020
lekki1444:
Oh ts nothing get an ODB2 scanner to clear the codes.. ABS and VSC are not auto essentials. they are only useful if you live in a country where there is snow on the ground. get an ODB2 scanner and clear the codes

tire pressure just check manually every week

emmision ? no wahala.

I am unsure if your response is sarcasm or you are really serious!
ABS is not auto essential? This isn’t only for snowy conditions; it helps if you slam on your brakes too hard and the vehicles senses that your wheels will lock making your car skid. This doesn’t only happen on snow; it can happen on loose gravel, unsurfaced roads or even on good roads.

Run a scan! I noticed you mentioned the big tubes in your engine are loose. This may be the cause of the check lights cos of a vacuum leak ( I think). This most times will trigger the VSC. The codes should point you the the source of the error
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 6:14am On Dec 10, 2020
AerialMapper:

I am unsure if your response is sarcasm or you are really serious!
ABS is not auto essential? This isn’t only for snowy conditions; it helps if you slam on your brakes too hard and the vehicles senses that your wheels will lock making your car skid. This doesn’t only happen on snow; it can happen on loose gravel, unsurfaced roads or even on good roads.

Run a scan! I noticed you mentioned the big tubes in your engine are loose. This may be the cause of the check lights cos of a vacuum leak ( I think). This most times will trigger the VSC. The codes should point you the the source of the error

All cars made before 2007 dont have ABS. ABS was only mandated in 2007, and these cars are just fine

https://www.quora.com/Is-daily-driving-a-car-with-no-ABS-difficult

oe Shelton, Author, Pilot (Comm. MEL/SEL/MES/SES, Inst), Aircraft Owner
Answered April 22, 2018
Is daily driving a car with no ABS difficult?

ABS or no ABS makes no difference unless and until you have to make an emergency stop, especially on slippery roads.

If you’re a safe and sane driver that doesn’t need to make an emergency stop, then not having ABS won’t matter.

BUT, if and when you need to make an emergency stop ABS is sure nice to have.

The real trick if you don’t have ABS (especially if you’ve driven a car WITH ABS for any period) is knowing how to brake right on the edge of locking the brakes without actually locking the brakes. Locked brakes will extend the stopping distance significantly. Getting that good takes practice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Happens If You Take The Car Key Out While Driving? / 5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / Bugatti Chiron Is The Most Searched Supercar In Nigeria,see The World's Top 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.