Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? (19788 Views)

Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Top 6 Reasons Your Check Engine Light May Be On And Also Blinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Socialproject: 7:46am On Dec 10, 2020
One week ke ?
Immediately he cranks the engine ...they are back.

AMvanquish:
He can wipe the errors away but it will be back before the week runs out. You still need to visit a good mechanic.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by jodecibmw: 9:35am On Dec 10, 2020
At the bolded are wrong statements, ABS has been in existence since the late 70's and got popular in the 90's till date.

lekki1444:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/list-of-cars-without-abs.204846/

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/09/how-to-stop-on-a-slippery-road-without-anti-lock-brakes-abs/

ABS started being required to be put in vehicles from 2007. all vehicles made before 2007 dont have ABS

lekki1444:
All cars made before 2007 dont have ABS. ABS was only mandated in 2007, and these cars are just fine

https://www.quora.com/Is-daily-driving-a-car-with-no-ABS-difficult

oe Shelton, Author, Pilot (Comm. MEL/SEL/MES/SES, Inst), Aircraft Owner
Answered April 22, 2018
Is daily driving a car with no ABS difficult?

ABS or no ABS makes no difference unless and until you have to make an emergency stop, especially on slippery roads.

If you’re a safe and sane driver that doesn’t need to make an emergency stop, then not having ABS won’t matter.

BUT, if and when you need to make an emergency stop ABS is sure nice to have.

The real trick if you don’t have ABS (especially if you’ve driven a car WITH ABS for any period) is knowing how to brake right on the edge of locking the brakes without actually locking the brakes. Locked brakes will extend the stopping distance significantly. Getting that good takes practice.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Stricklybidness(m): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

I'm having same issues on my car. The Car sucks fuel too much.

I was told to exhaust is leaking don't know how realistic that is.
Either the exhaust is leaking or check the catalyst.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Stricklybidness(m): 9:59am On Dec 10, 2020
AgroSeeds:

All those signs came on because your silencer has been tampered with. I may bet my balls that your Catalyst has been stolen! And boy oh boy... They are expensive.

Were you at a panel beater recently? Coz those guys and mechanics steal stuffs wella.

Everything in that code points to your exhaust and silencer system.
Very likely.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Stricklybidness(m): 10:07am On Dec 10, 2020
Henrhyme4u:
When you get home tonight remove the battery till day break , some of the error will reset automatically, mind you the check engine will resurface even with slight bang in pothole , but you will observe change in the sound of your engine in d next day, however don't forget to remove your key from ignition b4 u disconnect the battery .
Have you tried it and it is proven?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Cousin9999: 10:10am On Dec 10, 2020
Find another mechanic, and read the manual for your car.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Stricklybidness(m): 10:19am On Dec 10, 2020
kunle75:

Go to auto section and reach out to oga gazzuz

That man is an expert i use him when I was in naija and still trust him till tomorrow
Is he a mechanic?
I will need to work with him.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 10:52am On Dec 10, 2020
jodecibmw:
At the bolded are wrong statements, ABS has been in existence since the late 70's and got popular in the 90's till date.

BUT YOU GET THE POINT ? there were cars before ABS. thats the point
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by MisterKennedy(m): 10:58am On Dec 10, 2020
lekki1444:
create good content, try to get up to 1000 subscribers and they will monetize you and start advertising on your videos and start sending you cheques in dollars
OK Sir... Please suggest a low budget or free niche I can start up ASAP on YouTube
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 11:14am On Dec 10, 2020
MisterKennedy:
OK Sir... Please suggest a low budget or free niche I can start up ASAP on YouTube
create good content, try to get up to 1000 subscribers and they will monetize you and start advertising on your videos and start sending you cheques in dollars
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:48am On Dec 10, 2020
lekki1444:
BUT YOU GET THE POINT ? there were cars before ABS. thats the point

There were also cars before seatbelts, cars before Air Conditioning, cars before fuel injection. What's your point?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by kunle75(m): 11:55am On Dec 10, 2020
Stricklybidness:

Is he a mechanic?
I will need to work with him.

Yes with wealth of experience and honesty

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2020
Goto an experienced mechanic familiar with your vehicle, dont just go to any dude carrying a scanner, most of them dont know jack about vehicles.

A friend of mine was scammed by one dude at Yemsonat filling station along transwoji road this year, for a simple problem of failed coil, the person collected 20k and played around for 30 minutes problem was not fixed, the issue was later fixed by a real mechanic who detected that a faulty coil/ plug was the issue without the use of a scanner.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 12:37pm On Dec 10, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

There were also cars before seatbelts, cars before Air Conditioning, cars before fuel injection. What's your point?
Point is, its not essential
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:43pm On Dec 10, 2020
lekki1444:
Point is, its not essential

Your point is uneducated, then.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by litaninja(m): 12:47pm On Dec 10, 2020
If you like, wipe the errors from now till tomorrow, so long as the root causes of the errors are still there, the errors would be back after a couple of miles driving.
You need to find a proper mechanic or auto centre too diagnose with proper tools an then get the repairs/part replacements you need.
As for parts, amazon is your friend.

Kelvin30286063:
My check engine light has been on for weeks now. I know it's bad but I barely have time to visit a mechanic except for recently when I had a brain box issue.

The follow warnings are on my dashboard.

1. Check emisson system
2. Check Tire pressure sensor
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

That's all. I'm worried that this may not be the reasons why the check engine light is on.

I have ran a diagnostic scan and they pointed to the same things but this things are not easy fix cuz I drive an Acura and some of these things are not easy to comeby.

I know the emission system is a big issue cuz my car engine area is always very hot and I noticed some disconnection in some of those big pipes that channels air through the car but how do I best fix this! Help a brother.

Is it advisable to just wipe the warnings or I have to fix them cuz the guy that ran the diagnostic said he can just help me to wipe all the warnings and I won't have to worry anymore. Is that right sha!?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 12:50pm On Dec 10, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Your point is uneducated, then.
it appears you lack critical thinking skills
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by wisdomguy4u(m): 12:55pm On Dec 10, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

I'm having same issues on my car. The Car sucks fuel too much.

I was told to exhaust is leaking don't know how realistic that is.

Same with mine. I have taken it to several mechanic and yet the problem is still on. In case you find a solution, do share with me

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:34pm On Dec 10, 2020
lekki1444:
it appears you lack critical thinking skills

Same could be said about you, if you think ABS isn't essential.

There was a time cars or bicycles didn't exist, and everyone trekked. Why you no dey trek go everywhere? Obviously cars aren't essential since people once did just fine without them.

See how illogical and moronic your point is?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 1:40pm On Dec 10, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Same could be said about you, if you think ABS isn't essential.

There was a time cars or bicycles didn't exist, and everyone trekked. Why you no dey trek go everywhere? Obviously cars aren't essential since people once did just fine without them.

See how illogical and moronic your point is?
let me tell you how stupid your point is ? half the cars on nigerian roads do not have ABS as of right now. but yu are here talking about things that no longer exist. half the old taxis in lagos do not even half automatic trnsmission or air bag or ABS but they are functioning very well and carrying millions of passengers daily. so using critical thinking skills which you obviously lack, we can tell ABS is not essential. its good to have but it is not essential. hope you can comprehend this logic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? / Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.