Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,026 members, 7,828,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? (19783 Views)

Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Top 6 Reasons Your Check Engine Light May Be On And Also Blinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by GodWrites: 6:08pm On Dec 09, 2020
Please, do not wipe out any warning. If you love your life, fix those issues and have peace of mind. It isn't worth your life, whatever it cost to fix it.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Johnson5258: 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
You can check Google the error as well.

HeavenlyBang:

Lmao.

First of all, change mechanics. Carry it to a good technician for him to fix.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by AgroSeeds: 6:12pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
My check engine light has been on for weeks now. I know it's bad but I barely have time to visit a mechanic except for recently when I had a brain box issue.

The follow warnings are on my dashboard.

1. Check emisson system
2. Check Tire pressure sensor
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

That's all. I'm worried that this may not be the reasons why the check engine light is on.

I have ran a diagnostic scan and they pointed to the same things but this things are not easy fix cuz I drive an Acura and some of these things are not easy to comeby.

I know the emission system is a big issue cuz my car engine area is always very hot and I noticed some disconnection in some of those big pipes that channels air through the car but how do I best fix this! Help a brother.

Is it advisable to just wipe the warnings or I have to fix them cuz the guy that ran the diagnostic said he can just help me to wipe all the warnings and I won't have to worry anymore. Is that right sha!?

All those signs came on because your silencer has been tampered with. I may bet my balls that your Catalyst has been stolen! And boy oh boy... They are expensive.

Were you at a panel beater recently? Coz those guys and mechanics steal stuffs wella.

Everything in that code points to your exhaust and silencer system.

2 Likes

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by merits(m): 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
prodigyy:
Come to my workshop.

It is located in my vjay grin
You are really nut.
Check pix below;
They're the bacteria that full your busy vjay.ashawo.

2 Likes

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lookingfly: 6:20pm On Dec 09, 2020
The issue with my car now is a second trip off and on of the car when am driving, has anyone had such similar problem?....the battery points are tightly fasten.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Grandmisty: 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
My check engine light has been on for weeks now. I know it's bad but I barely have time to visit a mechanic except for recently when I had a brain box issue.

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

That's all. I'm worried that this may not be the reasons why the check engine light is on.

I have ran a diagnostic scan and they pointed to the same things but this things are not easy fix cuz I drive an Acura and some of these things are not easy to comeby.

I know the emission system is a big issue cuz my car engine area is always very hot and I noticed some disconnection in some of those big pipes that channels air through the car but how do I best fix this! Help a brother.

Is it advisable to just wipe the warnings or I have to fix them cuz the guy that ran the diagnostic said he can just help me to wipe all the warnings and I won't have to worry anymore. Is that right sha!?

Im not a mechanic, you need a good mechanic 1st of all, try andfix them but it will cost u plenty saturdays in mechanic workshop
But 2 things i can say is 1. Ur car need maintenance after so many km

- u probably need to check for replacement the following before reflashing the codes 2 see for fuse burn out

- ur brake pads needs replacement and then realign the vechicle to balance.

- if u hear grinding then ur brake caliper plate need to be replaced with new ones.

- ur tires need replacement - all 4 at once

that should take care of the ABS and tire sensor

emisson system - nigeria emission is different from overseas
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by jacobjamie(m): 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
prodigyy:
Come to my workshop.

It is located in my vjay grin
and yet u will be wondering why No Husband is coming for ur hands in marriage ....u see ya life madam ?

2 Likes

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by computerglobal(m): 6:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
[quote author=Kelvin30286063 post=96885535]

The more you know about the vehicle the safer you will be. Run a VIN check and verify critical facts you need to buy a used car with confidence. Check the title status, previous odometer readings and the current market of the vehicle. Do as many checks as possible to ensure you are getting a legitimate offer.

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10000072_vehiclehistoryreport_jpeg3e8dde5a1fb4cccbf6626e983b2598da
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by gbagyiza: 6:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system mmol

You said something about working on the ECU, you need to furnish us with the information with regards to what they did on the ECU. Replacing a used ECU can trigger the above MIL you mentioned, most especially if these faults were already registered in the memory of the new ECU you put. And have it in mind that if those faults you listed above r temporary faults, the technician just need to clear it off the ECU memory n everything will be alright but if they r permanent faults, I advise that you seek for a well-experienced technician to help you out. Call me on 08060788299 to further assist on what do to.( An Automobile Engineer).
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Grandmisty:

Im not a mechanic, you need a good mechanic 1st of all, try andfix them but it will cost u plenty saturdays in mechanic workshop
But 2 things i can say is 1. Ur car need maintenance after so many km

- u probably need to check for replacement the following before reflashing the codes 2 see for fuse burn out

- ur brake pads needs replacement and then realign the vechicle to balance.

- if u hear grinding then ur brake caliper plate need to be replaced with new ones.

- ur tires need replacement - all 4 at once

that should take care of the ABS and tire sensor

emisson system - nigeria emission is different from overseas
Imagine you telling to replace all the things I have only used for a few months.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lonelydora: 6:55pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

Stop taking your car to Kazeem!! Get a new mechanic.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:56pm On Dec 09, 2020
ehizzi:
Your tpms abs and vsa ( I think that's what u meant) are sensors u can live without though they do help.the tpms tells u when he tire pressure is low
Abs and vsa sensors help in detect when your vsa ( vehicle stability assist) isn't working and if something is wrong with ur abs
These parts shldnt be hard to get and fix
As for the emission if you noticed gaps in ur air intake u shld have it fixed asap .
Dnt bother wiping the codes it will only come back and in ignoring the emission warming y may damage ur engine further
Hope this helps
Thanks bro. It sure helps. God bless
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
chloride6:
Person wey dey drive Acura wey no get standby mechanic be like person wey get belle wey no register for Ante Natal.

@Gazzuzz
@Oluwaseunla

Please help
I'm trying to understand this statement. Acura nearly give issues. I have used my car for 10 months now and aside changing oil and gear oil once. I've not had any issue what so ever. Even my mechanic that was working on my old Honda always ask me why I don't check on them once in a while.

This issues above only started last week when my brain box got damaged due to bad fan belt. Those warnings came after a new brain box was programmed.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
AgroSeeds:

All those signs came on because your silencer has been tampered with. I may bet my balls that your Catalyst has been stolen! And boy oh boy... They are expensive.

Were you at a panel beater recently? Coz those guys and mechanics steal stuffs wella.

Everything in that code points to your exhaust and silencer system.
Could be true cuz the car sat at an unsafe place for a few days. I'll have it checked. Thank you
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by MisterKennedy(m): 7:07pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
youtube
I don't have ideas on youtube
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by AmuDimpka: 7:08pm On Dec 09, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

I'm having same issues on my car. The Car sucks fuel too much.

I was told to exhaust is leaking don't know how realistic that is.
catalyst has been stolen trust me... It happens

1 Like

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by MadeMan01(m): 7:08pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

Don't just change mechanic, go scan your vehicle at a modern garage and software will tell you EXACT fault.
Tyre pressure, ABS (anti brake skidding system) and VSC(vehicle stability control) are related. If tyre is not well guaged, aligned and balanced it can trigger VSC. ABS concerns braking system.
Check emission I think will concern catalytic converter located near exhaust silencer connection
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by frozen70(f): 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

So left for you and that guy, you will wipe off or erase a detected problem on the dash board instead resolving it in a mechanic workshop

Anyway, do your own the car will do its own if you don't handle it well
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 09, 2020
NigPatriot:
shocked

I'm having same issues on my car. The Car sucks fuel too much.

I was told to exhaust is leaking don't know how realistic that is.

Yes,your exhaust needs repairs...meet a panel beater to do that.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by oluwaseunla(m): 7:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I'm trying to understand this statement. Acura nearly give issues. I have used my car for 10 months now and aside changing oil and gear oil once. I've not had any issue what so ever. Even my mechanic that was working on my old Honda always ask me why I don't check on them once in a while.

This issues above only started last week when my brain box got damaged due to bad fan belt. Those warnings came after a new brain box was programmed.

Gazzuzz gave you an offer of a free diagnosis. Take it up and resolve all your issues.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Homguy(m): 7:23pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
Oh ts nothing get an ODB2 scanner to clear the codes.. ABS and VSC are not auto essentials. they are only useful if you live in a country where there is snow on the ground. get an ODB2 scanner and clear the codes

tire pressure just check manually every week

emmision ? no wahala.
Lmao, what are you saying? Stop misinforming . Your ABS/VSC are very important safety components of any vehicle stopping you from losing control when hard-braking at high speeds and on rough terrains.

From my little experience Vehicle speed sensors, or a misalligned/bad clock spring can trigger these two lights.
Check emissions may be due to a bad O2 sensor or failing Cat or leaks
and check tire pressure may be due to low tire pressure in your tires or a bad sensor.( This is also the easiest to remedy.IMO

Ultimately, you need to scan your car and get the exact codes. Reading live data from your O2 sensors may be a guide to weather you have a bad Cat or your O2 sensors have failed. I always pray its the later.

goodluck bro @ Kelvin30286063
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Homguy:
Lmao, what are you saying? Stop misinforming . Your ABS/VSC are very important safety components of any vehicle stopping you from losing control when hard-braking at high speeds and on rough terrains.

From my little experience Vehicle speed sensors, or a misalligned/bad clock spring can trigger these two lights.
Check emissions may be due to a bad O2 sensor or failing Cat or leaks
and check tire pressure may be due to low tire pressure in your tires or a bad sensor.( This is also the easiest to remedy.IMO

Ultimately, you need to scan your car and get the exact codes. Reading live data from your O2 sensors may be a guide to weather you have a bad Cat or your O2 sensors have failed. I always pray its the later.

goodluck bro @ Kelvin30286063
NAH BRAH NOT ALL CARS HAVE ABS AND SOME PEOPLE DISABLE THE ABS IN THEIR CAR. abs was not in cars till recently. so its not important. but quite essential if you brake on snowy surface so you dont skid in cold climates

https://itstillruns.com/disable-abs-brakes-7762579.html
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by lekki1444: 7:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
MisterKennedy:
I don't have ideas on youtube
create good content, try to get up to 1000 subscribers and they will monetize you and start advertising on your videos and start sending you cheques in dollars
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Ocallen: 7:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
27Pushing30:
In my experience it’s always best to AVOID different hands touching your vehicle.

Don’t you have fellow car owner friends who can vouch for their mechs?

Sha be observant and NEVER go to work and leave your cars with mechs expecting to pick it up when you close.

Naxo issues upon issues dey start .

He/she who has ears let him/her hear. The above is very important. I repeat too, be observant and NEVER go to work and leave your cars with mechs expecting to pick it up when you close.

Pick a Saturday and sit down with the mech
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Grandmisty: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Imagine you telling to replace all the things I have only used for a few months.

Did you buy it brand new?

If not u dont know how the foreign owner used it.

In america or europe. Car is too expensive to repair, it might bebetter to get a new one.

So plan to change those things for enjoyment of ur car.

everything is a risk
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by bobbiiee: 8:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
I suggest you google Automedics. He is skilled. Reach him on 08080806686. He also runs 5 days radio program on Lagos Traffic Radio.

Kelvin30286063:

1. Check emisson system
3. Check ABS system
4. Check VSC system

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by MYZOLE: 8:06pm On Dec 09, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFPczsawmg

The guys above no send CHECK ENGINE..... na to dey ride dey go them sabi.... grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Homguy(m): 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2020
lekki1444:
NAH BRAH NOT ALL CARS HAVE ABS AND SOME PEOPLE DISABLE THE ABS IN THEIR CAR. abs was not in cars till recently. so its not important. but quite essential if you brake on snowy surface so you dont skid in cold climates

https://itstillruns.com/disable-abs-brakes-7762579.html
Okay bro. Do you.
Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by prodigyy(m): 8:25pm On Dec 09, 2020
Who told you i need a husband?
I have my cool money, a flashy lexus.

So gedifuck outta here
jacobjamie:
and yet u will be wondering why No Husband is coming for ur hands in marriage ....u see ya life madam ?
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Henrhyme4u(m): 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
When you get home tonight remove the battery till day break , some of the error will reset automatically, mind you the check engine will resurface even with slight bang in pothole , but you will observe change in the sound of your engine in d next day, however don't forget to remove your key from ignition b4 u disconnect the battery .
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by Henrhyme4u(m): 8:30pm On Dec 09, 2020
GodWrites:
Please, do not wipe out any warning. If you love your life, fix those issues and have peace of mind. It isn't worth your life, whatever it cost to fix it.
But some technicians will wipe it and tell you it has been fixed bro.
Re: Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? by 12inchess: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Let me tell u something. My wife car experienced something like this recently. I connected it to OBD and it was something about the thermostat. That was the same reason her heater was not getting hot. I'd advice u to get an OBD for your car. It's not very expensive. Like 10k. You can use it to check the error code.Google the interpretation of each error code online. If u take it to a mechanic, he may not even check the code. He will just clear it. This can result to a worse problem for ur vehicle in the future. The check engine light coming on is a warning sign that something is wrong which may be serious or not. Wiping the warning doesn't remove the problem. It just hides the notification.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Automatic Transmission: Do Their Benefits Outweigh Their Issues? / Elite Cars Repopulate Nigerian Streets As Economy Booms / New Tactics Of Robbers At Okada/ehkiadolor Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.