Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector (7404 Views)

Cracks Widen In APC Over Tinubu - Daily Trust / Bola Tinubu Asks Osinbajo And FG Not To Increase VAT, Widen Tax Bracket Instead / Cash-Strapped States Groan, Widen Tax Net, Begin Aggressive Revenue Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by NwaNimo1(m): 7:40pm On Dec 09, 2020
The Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) has charged the Federal Government to widen the nation’s tax net by engaging the informal sectors as part of ways to bail the country out of recession and effects of COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaking at the 43rd Induction Ceremony of the Institute, where 558 new members joined its fold, its President, Dame Gladys Olajumoke Simplice, made reference to the Institute’s 22nd annual tax conference where specific policy directions and recommendations were proffered for various tax stakeholders, including the need to prioritise expenditure to intervene in critical sectors to accelerate national economic growth and performance.

According to her, the institute also agreed that using tax incentives to attract foreign direct investment may not yield positive result than widening the tax net to include informal sectors which would be the best way going forward. She urged government to come up with policies on tax incentives in addition to developing a systematic framework that would enhance the visibility of such incentives.

The CITN boss added that the Nigerian government must collaborate with the private sector to save lives, protect livelihoods and lay the foundation for strong economic recovery.

She however said there was need for prudent management of taxpayers’ money by public office holders to build trust among the citizens, stressing the need for performance-based budgeting to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in the utilisation of government revenues.

“Government would need to position itself for recovery from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on these critical areas including containing the possible recurring outbreak of the pandemic; enhancing macroeconomic management to boost investor’ confidence; safeguarding and mobilising revenues; reprioritising public spending to protect critical development expenditures and stimulate economic activity; and protecting poor and vulnerable communities.” Priority on investments with large job creation and high social impact such as agriculture should be given ultimate attention while institutional capacity building would have to be intensified to lead the implementation of African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA),” she said.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/recession-citn-charges-fg-to-widen-tax-net-with-informal-sector/

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Elvis2kay: 8:30pm On Dec 09, 2020
From January 2020 to December 2020. Nigeria achievement is Zero. ���

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Cvwriter1(m): 8:30pm On Dec 09, 2020
Tax evasion make people sell their souls. But selling dope is the part we chose

1 Like

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by GIANTPLUSHUB: 8:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
Okay naw. Informal be looking formal now after mismanaging previous tax funds. Okay oooooo!

7 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Jammy2012(m): 8:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
What a funny country? Thats how some self acclaimed internal revenue officers stormed my girlfriend's shop yesterday. she was told that she needed to pay 6k, but later bargained to pay 3k. but later discovered it was supposed to be 1k. I couldn't help but laugh. What a country. They should slash politiefians salary as well and also stop using huge amount of tax payers money on negligible projects like using 81 million naira on grass cutting

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by helinues: 8:31pm On Dec 09, 2020
sad

Tax, Tax , Tax

The one you guys have been collecting, what have you done with it?

Hiss

20 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Johnrake69: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Trash. Widen the tax net to enable the government steal more.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by primestreams: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Next

Expecting any thing good from this country wait till 2024
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by MisterGrace: 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
Wicked lots. They want to tax everything including oxygen.

Bought food the other day at drumstick Wuse and they charged me 57 NGN for a meal of 1400 NGN.

See, I am tired of this present government. Everything is just done with sentiment even when it is detrimental to the well-being of the people.

4 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Emumakpo: 8:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Tannhauser(m): 8:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
cheesy
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Rugaria: 8:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
Me, pay tax freely to the Nigerian government? So Buhari will use it to develop Niger republic? Coman and collect naa

19 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Caseywilliams(m): 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
NwaNimo1:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/recession-citn-charges-fg-to-widen-tax-net-with-informal-sector/
if u like tax smal pikin wey dem just born now, naija no fit dey alright
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
nah the common man suffer it all
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by aligeee(m): 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
Next level CAPITALISM
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Yankee101: 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
Stupid people. You can get more tax revenue if you increase production, automatically

More taxes with a reduced level of production means a repressive tax system

4 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 09, 2020
Hmmm, may God help us out of this recession
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Nairalandwizerd(m): 8:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
What is thix one saying
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by princemillla(m): 8:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
We need a messiah in this country I swear. U want to tax the informal

A country that doesn't have proper record of her citizens.

FG fail to give us light - we on our gen

They fail to give us good road- we waste our productive time in traffic and all sort

Yet they want to tax us, make una fear God o.

Nigerians will happily pay tax, queue under the sun to make sure they pay tax if the government do what it's supposed to do.

5 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by hatakekakashi: 8:43pm On Dec 09, 2020
Rugaria:
Me, pay tax freely to the Nigerian government? So Buhari will use it to develop Niger republic? Coman and collect naa
After you will start envying European countries
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Dollanaira: 8:47pm On Dec 09, 2020
Really
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Rugaria: 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2020
hatakekakashi:

I will rather urinate from my nose than to willingly pay taxes to the Nigerian government! I dey craze? Pay tax for what services? The roads? Power supply? Education? So somebody will walk out of the desert, grabs power and spend 8 years destroying the lives of the struggling masses and I will be here paying taxes to him!? Taxes for what? Taxes for terror?

24 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by datola: 8:57pm On Dec 09, 2020
Awon ole ole
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by FarahAideed: 8:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
Fucking dullards cheesy cheesy so they believe you can can tax an economy out of recession? cheesy cheesy
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by princemillla(m): 8:59pm On Dec 09, 2020
Rugaria:

I will rather urinate from my nose than to willingly pay taxes to the Nigerian government! I dey craze? Pay tax for what services? The roads? Power supply? Education? So somebody will walk out of the desert, grabs power and spend 8 years destroying the lives of the struggling masses and I will be here paying him taxes!? Taxes for what? Taxes for terror?

U said it all bro

1 Like

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by valuedammy(m): 9:00pm On Dec 09, 2020
hatakekakashi:

You are the main problem of this Country, so you want to tell me that the governemt has been doing the right thing with our tax payers money.

Fear God now, the guy you quoted is saying the right thing now.

7 Likes

Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Vidsolution79: 9:01pm On Dec 09, 2020
I pray my america dream come true...the need to Japa from this country is now....u could like to check out my signature..!!
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Atheistan: 9:02pm On Dec 09, 2020
Oil prices are winding down, switch to tax....
Last last dem go carry gun
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by Atheistan: 9:03pm On Dec 09, 2020
hatakekakashi:

So Untill they collect the tax for 600years that's when we will see the development we are paying for?
Re: Recession: CITN Charges FG To Widen Tax Net With Informal Sector by banio: 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
Useless stupid Charter taxation thieves.

How will taxation of Nigerians bail us out of recession.

We need foreign currency. How do we get foreign currency, that's what we should be thinking

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okowa Signs 2023 Appropriation Bill Of ₦‎571.6 Billion / Bola Tinubu Faces Disqualification Over "Dual-citizenship & Perjury" / Appeal Court Dismisses Cole’s Petition Against Fubara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.