Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? (8333 Views)

An SUV Rammed Into Ditch In Awolowo Road (pictures) / Innoson Made-In-Nigeria SUV Worth N5.6m / Updated.. My 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Thread - "Truck Of The Yellow Sun" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by picazy: 5:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
I need honest evaluation of this SUV from nairalanders who are using it or know someone using it.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by femmy2010(m): 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2011
It is okay.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by vick1000: 1:57am On Oct 28, 2011
I want to buy a ford explorer but a lot of people keep telling me that it is not a good suv, I need advise
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by CLASSMAN: 11:48am On Oct 28, 2011
ford products are very good and strong more than toyota , yes used both its just the parts that u ve to consider
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by vick1000: 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2011
I know the parts may be difficult to source in Nigeria and i think the best thing is to source a few consumables and ship to Nigeria. just thinking
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by Lax75(m): 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2011
Don't buy it. If you do, you do it at your own risk. Ford stands for:

[b]F[/b]ix
[b]O[/b]r
[b]R[/b]epair
[b]D[/b]aily
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by Andrew3(m): 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2011
I abandoned ma pickup type fold explorer jeep because of vampiristic consumption of fuel.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by bashylyfe: 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2011
used a 2000 for about 3 years,sold it and have a 2003 Model on its way to Lagos.
i love the ford explorer.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by marcus1234: 4:34pm On Oct 28, 2011
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by Ogosoga: 5:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
My Brother Ford is a very good car, I am using the 2003 Taurus ses and I have used it for about 3 years, the parts is exactly the same thing with Toyota, it is only that mechanics that put fear to people.
When I was shiping mine from Texas theyold me that the gear box of the Taurus is 150k but when I get to Ojuelegba i asked for the price of the gear box and I found out that it is going for 60k which almost the same t thing with 2003 toyota.

I just bought the 2005 escape, ever since I start using ford I found it stronger then toyota because the parts are genuine and last longer. But all the same it is a matter of choice.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by kabukabu50(m): 5:10pm On Oct 28, 2011
Ford Explorer's are thirsty, drink gas like crazy but the engine is pretty strong.Parts are hard to find in Naija but its not a difficult car to repair.
The Escape is much better ;Dor Mazda Tribute,Hond CRV,Toyota Highlander or Rav 4.

I don't think Fords are that bad as people say, after all Ford Explorers and Crown vics are used as Taxis in the states,they rack up a lot of miles, im not sure they would use them as taxis if they were not sturdy or halway reliable grin
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by yemmyyy(m): 5:56pm On Oct 28, 2011
I love the Ford explorer too but i'm still skeptical about the availability of its parts. i think Ford auto center is now available in lagos.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by jude33084(m): 7:10pm On Oct 28, 2011
yemmyyy:

I love the Ford explorer too but i'm still skeptical about the availability of its parts. i think Ford auto center is now available in lagos.

Go there and you will sell the car to get the parts. grin
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by Emperoh(m): 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2011
I am really surprised with the amount of ignorance flying on this thread!!
People can still sit in front of their key boards and promote stereo types!!

The fact that Japanese brands are the ish in Nigeria doesn't make Ford a bad buy.
I will address a few of the factors raised here to the best of my knowledge!

Fuel consumption is a factor of engine size. Do not expect a 6 cylinder engine to give u the performance in consumption of a 4 cylinder engine. The body mass of Ford cars are light enough to accommodate lower consumption levels and still give u enough power. No auto maker today still depends on gas inefficient cars. Everyone is becoming environmentally conscious hence the need to do gas conserving brands. They give u options and Ford is doing that as well. From the Ford Focus to the Expedition, what u see is what u get. A V8 is thirsty and a 4 cylinder Ford sedan will give u the same as 4 cylinder toyota of honda.

For the parts, pls go to Ojuelegba and confirm spare parts for yourself, I am not joking.
The inroad Ford has made into the Nigeria market and American brands in general is just awesome. This is in the past 5 years. Ford Escape, Explorer, Mondeo and Windstar are the popular models, then the E and F series because transporters use them. So i can assure you that spare parts should never discourage you from using a brand of your choice, much less a Ford that is as common as Toyota and Honda brands.
The only snag i know is that they are not cheap. But not excessively expensive. Something an average Nigerian can afford. it is stereotypes like this that made a friend abandon a BMW COJA 3 Series for a Honda Accord only to later realise that the BMW parts are actually cheaper than your everyday Japanese brand.

For the mechanics, this is where i will advice you to look well. Better still get an OBD scanner for Fords for private use and then join an online forum for Ford owners. There is no solution you will not get for knotty issues to avoid mechanic trial and errors. Whatever be the case, please if you love Ford cars, don't hesitate to buy one. You will come back here to give us the news.

Before you pay, go to Ojuelegba and confirm spare parts for yourself. The ones you don't see, check online and you see them, Just get someone to help u buy and ship it down for you.

Nothing should stop anyone from using a brand of his choice. Internet has made our lives easier!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by CLASSMAN: 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2011
Ogosoga:

My Brother Ford is a very good car, I am using the 2003 Taurus ses and I have used it for about 3 years, the parts is exactly the same thing with Toyota, it is only that mechanics that put fear to people.
When I was shiping mine from Texas theyold me that the gear box of the Taurus is 150k but when I get to Ojuelegba i asked for the price of the gear box and I found out that it is going for 60k which almost the same t thing with 2003 toyota.

I just bought the 2005 escape, ever since I start using ford I found it stronger then toyota because the parts are genuine and last longer. But all the same it is a matter of choice.

CONFIRM VERY WELL IT USED TO BE THAT AMOUNT I VE BOUGHT IT FOR 120K, AND ALSO 60K BUT BE SINCERE HW MANY TIMES VE U CHANGED THE GEAR(COS THATS D COMA WITH TAURUS ) I VE USED TAURUS 2001 MODEL ALSO GOOD CAR ALSO
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by komekn(m): 9:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
I bought a Ford Explorer for a friend in 2001 which he used for 6 years literally trouble free in Nigeria he also had a fairly decent mechanic which is pivotal.

Finally spare parts we live in CIT age and e-business is in the mainstream buy your parts on ebay, online dealers from the USA at a fraction of the cost compared to Coscharis and Briscoe.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by vick1000: 9:20pm On Oct 28, 2011
my mind is now made up. Its a FORD 2005 model all the way. I am paying for this in the states moro, get it on the ship and head to naija next week. Thanks guys for your input.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by ordertonig: 10:15pm On Oct 28, 2011
Hello,

Ford is a good brand and I can say that I have bought so many for people in Nigeria. The question is this, it is not as strong as your regular Toyota.
If it is just for daily commute, yes it is fine. But be prepared to spend money on gas.

However, should you wish to purchase another car, feel free to send an email to customerservice@ordertonigeria.com and we shall make sure to get the best car for you.

Thanks.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by ordertonig: 10:16pm On Oct 28, 2011
Hello,

Ford is a good brand and I can say that I have  bought so many for people in Nigeria. The question is this, it is not as strong as your regular Toyota.
If it is just for daily commute, yes it is fine. But be prepared to spend money on gas.

However, should you wish to purchase another car, feel free to send an email to customerservice@ordertonigeria.com and we shall make sure to get the best car for you.

Thanks.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by Faithnn: 11:27pm On Oct 28, 2011
Bros,ford it does not matter the model is not 2 common to 9ja.You will find it difficult to get good mechanic.Spare parts is still another barrier.It does not have 2nd hand value.Those talking in favour of ford just want to put u in difficulty.Go for ride that will not cause u high blood pressure.Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by DonXavi(m): 2:42am On Oct 29, 2011
I Use Ford Escape 2003 model, I bought it since 2009 and it has not given me a single problem.
If you love Ford and want to go for it, i'll advice you to do so, although many people in Nigeria would try to discourage you if you tell them you're going for Ford but i'll tell you the truth it's a good car.
Re: Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? by shaiguy(m): 8:38am On Oct 29, 2011
Have had the 2001, 2003 and 2006 Ford explorers right here in Nigeria.
And not once did I have to visit the mechs for any serious work, i practically serviced the cars myself.
I swear by Ford explorers, grin

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Pumps In Nigeria. / Is it Alright To Drive A Newly-bought Car Without A License Plate In Nigeria? / How Much Does A Golf 3 Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.