Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! - NYSC (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! (41860 Views)

My NYSC Experience In Jigawa State. / My Experience In NYSC Orientation Camp, Iyana Ipaja, Lagos State / "My NYSC Camp Experience" – Owolabi Ajasa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 4:55am On Dec 26, 2020
Sinachi100:

Merry Christmas dear

still following

Best wishes to you........Sinachi smiley

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 4:56am On Dec 26, 2020
saintuspapa:
Reminds me of my own days in that same camp. Op, is it still the same Nsit Atai camp. I was there 2007 Batch A.

Yeah, it is.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Dubetex96(m): 8:15am On Dec 26, 2020
essy I love ur story sound so interesting

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 6:23pm On Dec 26, 2020
Dubetex96:
essy I love ur story sound so interesting

Thanks...... smiley

Definitely going to update soon!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by shawnfamous(m): 9:17am On Dec 29, 2020
Love your story mate..

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 1:06pm On Dec 30, 2020
Sergeant Johnson was the army officer assigned to my platoon to coordinate and prepare us for all the competitions.

Every platoon had their own army officers incharge of all rehearsals and parade trainings. From my observations, each platoon got two officers and one LGI (Local government inspector) for all camp activities.

Back to our rehearsals, the volleyball team were seriously training for their match that was meant to hold within the week. I was part of this team with about twelve other girls.

Our guys were literally coaching us with all their strengths. Kumi and Emeka never allowed us rest even when Serg. says we should...lol grin

After most trainings Chuks and Emeka would massage our damaged hands/wrists with hot balms.......I never knew guys could be that nice till I met the ones in my platoon, they literally rooted for us to win the forthcoming game.

Before we go for rehearsals, we usually have morning lectures and SAED classes to attend. SAED is Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurial Development, a program run by NYSC to equip corp members with skills.

The available skills under SAED were Fashion design, ICT, cosmetology(Ndi makeup), catering, solar installation, barbing and the other ones I cannot remember now.

The thing about SAED is that it's somehow boring if the anchor person has no good communication skills. I was opportuned to join ICT on the grounds that I was already into digital marketing before I went to camp.

Truth is we were taught basic technology skills; e-marketing, bulk SMS, mobile app development, SPSS analysis, VTU business, email signatures and blabla.

This topics were just lightly touched because we didn't have all the time to go deep, reason being that SAED was just meant to last for 6 days or so. The whole essence of SAED isn't actually to equip you with skills immediately but to let you in on what a skill encompasses!

I must sincerely commend our tutor, he made learning fun and easy for us

5 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2020
shawnfamous:
Love your story mate..

Thanks shawnfamous

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2020
THURSDAY - SUNDAY

Today, we are playing against platoon 3 girls in volleyball competition. Our guys were giving us all the ginger we needed to win.

Our Captain Rahmat was all bumped up and ready for actions. Second to her was Serah, a bayelsan girl, tall, curvy and beautiful...... Literally Serah seem to always have everyone's attention drawn to her. One iconic thing about her was that she was a good fit for most of our programs - drama, dance, volleyball, matchpast, and what have you!

Our volleyball competition was scheduled to start by 5pm. As at five on the dot the two platoons exchanged pleasantries and the game kicked off with six persons per team.

At first we were losing scores because our girls weren't so skilled in picking balls, they knew how to serve but couldn't receive.

During second round, our girls were swapped up with the available substitutes and this time, they played well for the first 20mins before losing out again and finally being won over by platoon 3.

Even though we didn't win our game, our colleagues were still cheering us up and sending out good energy. Serg Johnson took it upon himself to see that we didn't lose our high morals for the remaining games and competitions ahead!

For Friday, we continued with the usual lectures and SAED classes which were always boring. The most daunting part of theses lectures is when they invite motivational speakers to talk - these guys always have something bad to say about salary earners. The lady anchoring the lecture went as far as saying "salary earners have no hope of becoming millionaires". She tried encouraging us not to work for anyone but to rather join a network marketing company like hers.

After her lecture, a Corp member asked her if she sells her own products manufactured by her own personal company and she answered "No, revealing that she sells for another's company" - That one answer gave way to a thunderous backlash from the crowd of well seated Corpers.
Her aspire to prespire session quickly ended when CMs told her bluntly that she too was a salary earner! End of discussion, she packed and left.

I really felt for the poor woman but I wished she knew a better to sell her business than talking down on someone else's source of income!
For the rest of the weekend, we had various social activities to attend. Every 8pm daily is for social night gathering where we get to see people present their talents like dancing, singing, rapping and comedy!

I can't remember the name of those two girls in platoon 3 but these girls were giving us all the hot Nigerian hip-hop dance steps.

For the records - social nights are full of too many things that I can't pen down here; but note that they are one of the most entertaining moments on camp everyone should look out for!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 9:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
Hi guys,

I just wanted to wish everyone following this thread a very gorgeous 2021!

Live your best life!

10 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by SamuelLoch: 3:50pm On Jan 01, 2021
Esyy:
Hi guys,
I just wanted to wish everyone following this thread a very gorgeous 2021!
Live your best life!
Happy gorgeous 2021!

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Rajman45(m): 7:53pm On Jan 05, 2021
hmmm.....na so u dey plan take end diz ur beautiful story b dat .
derrrrrrrIssssGod ooooo.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by EmzyFimma(m): 7:22am On Jan 06, 2021
Rajman45:

derrrrrrrIssssGod ooooo.

smiley

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 2:26pm On Jan 06, 2021
Rajman45:

derrrrrrrIssssGod ooooo.

Lol grin
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by DEYOUS: 4:08pm On Jan 06, 2021
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Lauraommi: 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2021
Nigerian schools need to adopt technology fast.

I served in Nsit Atai and I need a letter from the school. Please is there any current serving corper that can help me. I will pay for the service. I need the letter urgently please. Even if you can't get the letter at least the principal or vice principals, phone number will be okay. Please help
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 4:50am On Jan 09, 2021
Lauraommi:
Nigerian schools need to adopt technology fast.

I served in Nsit Atai and I need a letter from the school. Please is there any current serving corper that can help me. I will pay for the service. I need the letter urgently please. Even if you can't get the letter at least the principal or vice principals, phone number will be okay. Please help

Hi Lauraommi

I might not be able to help you. Please call the LGI incharge of Nsit Atai.

If you need the contact of the LGI, please PM me!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Lauraommi: 5:28am On Jan 09, 2021
Esyy:

Hi Lauraommi

I might not be able to help you. Please call the LGI incharge of Nsit Atai.

If you need the contact of the LGI, please PM me!

Yes �. I would appreciate that. I sent you an email.
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 6:15am On Jan 09, 2021
Lauraommi:

Yes �. I would appreciate that. I sent you an email.

Yeah, replied already. Keep me posted on your progress!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 3:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
LAST WEEK ON CAMP

This week we had piles of competition to do. Every platoon was busy rehearsing and putting things in place.

Our platoon guys were also preparing for their football game. The captain of the team, Victor is an Igbo guy I met first on "swearing in" day.

I can still remember he approached me that day with a friend of his Stan and asked if I was in their platoon. I answered yes and he requested that I come take pictures with them. Since then we've been in good terms and usually say "hello" once in a while.

Victor was the team lead for the football competition. I do go for all their match days when the competition first started. This week, they're playing their finals with platoon 3.

I must say that our guys were good players especially Rich, the guy that played back ( I can't remember what that number is called, it should be 18 but I'm not sure), Chidi - the one that had his legs nearly broken by those platoon 3 people, Tosan - the first ever guy that spoke to me in our platoon, and then one other guy that was a badass striker

Everyone of them in that team played well. During the final match, I was opportuned to sit at the front row with my friend Bola!

Bola is a Yoruba girl I met on parade ground. I can't remember what lead to our first conversation but then it happened and from there we started moving together.

Back to the match, the opposing team were not having it cool with our guys. They literally made sure they broke all their legs inorder to score them but then, it didn't work well for them.

For the first 15mins, no team was able to score. It took another 8mins before our team broke the jinx and scored against platoon 3. Come and see shout! We all screamed and gave them all the energy needed to make another hit.

Fast forward into the game, first half ended. Our guys moved off field to take instructions from their coach.

Back to second half and the opposing team was still playing rough.

I was pissed and wished our team could score them more goals, that would have served as a better consolation for all the pains they were putting them through!

I was still in my thoughts when the voice of a guy seated near me called me out. What was he saying? "That I should pity the losing team!" I laughed and told him that this is a game and emotions shouldn't be threaded on

Our little conversation diverted into we introducing ourselves. From what he told me, his name's Alx - a batch A corper who joined our batch to complete his orientation course according to NYSC's instructions

I'm not sure on how to describe him but he looked quite exposed and spoke with that tone of a responsible person!

Not to digress but while we were chitchating, the game was still ongoing and almost coming to an end. It didn't take up to 10mins before our guys scored again and finally won the football competition!

Everyone of us seated as spectators quickly rushed into the field cheering our guys and hugging them. This win was a big one for our platoon. Our faces were all lit with smile.

As soon as the games ended, most people returned to their hostels to catch some sleep while others who felt they needed to celebrate more, headed to mami to buy themselves pleasure!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Brightfab(m): 3:59pm On Jan 10, 2021
Congratulations to your team wink

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Fortune118005(m): 4:13pm On Jan 10, 2021
Esyy:
LAST WEEK ON CAMP

This week we had piles of competition to do. Every platoon was busy rehearsing and putting things in place.

Our platoon guys were also preparing for their football game. The captain of the team, Victor is an Igbo guy I met first on "swearing in" day.

I can still remember he approached me that day with a friend of his Stan and asked if I was in their platoon. I answered yes and he requested that I come take pictures with them. Since then we've been in good terms and usually say "hello" once in a while.

Victor was the team lead for the football competition. I do go for all their match days when the competition first started. This week, they're playing their finals with platoon 3.

I must say that our guys were good players especially Rich, the guy that played back ( I can't remember what that number is called, it should be 18 but I'm not sure), Chidi - the one that had his legs nearly broken by those platoon 3 people, Tosan - the first ever guy that spoke to me in our platoon, and then one other guy that was a badass striker

Everyone of them in that team played well. During the final match, I was opportuned to sit at the front row with my friend Bola!

Bola is a Yoruba girl I met on parade ground. I can't remember what lead to our first conversation but then it happened and from there we started moving together.

Back to the match, the opposing team were not having it cool with our guys. They literally made sure they broke all their legs inorder to score them but then, it didn't work well for them.

For the first 15mins, no team was able to score. It took another 8mins before our team broke the jinx and scored against platoon 3. Come and see shout! We all screamed and gave them all the energy needed to make another hit.

Fast forward into the game, first half ended. Our guys moved off field to take instructions from their coach.

Back to second half and the opposing team was still playing rough.

I was pissed and wished our team could score them more goals, that would have served as a better consolation for all the pains they were putting them through!

I was still in my thoughts when the voice of a guy seated near me called me out. What was he saying? "That I should pity the losing team!" I laughed and told him that this is a game and emotions shouldn't be threaded on

Our little conversation diverted into we introducing ourselves. From what he told me, his name's Alx - a batch A corper who joined our batch to complete his orientation course according to NYSC's instructions

I'm not sure on how to describe him but he looked quite exposed and spoke with that tone of a responsible person!

Not to digress but while we were chitchating, the game was still ongoing and almost coming to an end. It didn't take up to 10mins before our guys scored again and finally won the football competition!

Everyone of us seated as spectators quickly rushed into the field cheering our guys and hugging them. This win was a big one for our platoon. Our faces were all lit with smile.

As soon as the games ended, most people returned to their hostels to catch some sleep while others who felt they needed to celebrate more, headed to mami to buy themselves pleasure!

Forget about 2020
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 5:02pm On Jan 10, 2021
Fortune118005:

Forget about 2020

Okay dear..... might not continue again. Thanks! cool
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 10:48am On Jan 12, 2021
OTHER COMPETITIONS AND CARNIVAL
For the remaining competitions, I didn't take interest so well in them but I was there to witness them all

For SAED competition - Corpers showcased what they've learnt and the best amongst them were awarded personal gifts not platoon gifts.

For Drama competition - each platoon was asked to present a storyline that depicts unity in Nigeria. Our platoon came third!

For Song competition - each platoon was instructed to sing the NYSC anthem and permitted to freestyle to their taste.

For Miss Bold and Beautiful - Each platoon brought forth a representative, a lady who is fat ( thick) and beautiful. They're usually asked to dance and attempt some questions. Our platoon won! grin

For Mr Macho - Guys were picked from each platoon to flex their muscles. Omo, come and see abs and body muscles everywhere! I wonder why we're not exporting that to other countries sef grin..... By the way, our platoon came second!

For Miss NYSC - usually slim people are best fit for this. They were asked to dance ( twerk if possible), catwalk and answer current affairs questions. I wasn't even expecting our platoon to win but they did.

For Adam and Eve - A guy and a girl who knew themselves very well were asked to represent their platoons. Questions were asked relating to how much each one knew their partner. It's a kind of couple's something smiley

For match past competition: a set of army captains will come supervise each platoon. Every platoon will have their own commander ( a corper) who will be giving out orders.....from "left will" to " close and open order" to "slow and quick match"! This is one of the toughest competition on camp. Our platoon came third!

CARNIVAL - Every platoon was instructed to present a cultural dance. It can be that of Igbo, akwa-ibom, delta, cross river, Yoruba, hausa .....any tribe at all

.......every corper wore their customized ( with platoon name boldly written) white top and blue jeans trouser

It's one of the colorful days on camp....some persons also wore masks too but it was never compulsory

Platoons danced round, showcasing their attires and cultural dance. Our platoon came second!
For all these competitions, the judges usually call positions from the last platoon ( the losing team)

The appropriate statement for such announcement goes like this - "from the rear, 7th position goes to...... platoon 3"

Lol, not to mock anyone but platoon 3 was always called from the rear till everyone started calling them - " the rear platoon" grin

On the same day of carnival, first allawee was paid in cash .....33k

Most people took theirs to pos ( to transfer to their accounts) while the others took theirs to mami, most importantly was that there was a transfer of money!

Later in the evening, every platoon held their last party on camp, right inside mami
Sunday - we all returned to church for last service on camp before vacating on Monday!

Monday - Everyone gathered at the parade ground, did our last parade, collected our PPA letters and joined family house buses to our different locations!

The most emotional day of being in camp!

Lights out!

In conclusion I'll like to point out some important things to do while in camp. These things will save you headaches later on in the future!

1. Pay attention to all lectures related to allawee, whether state or FG. Save contacts of people working in account office incase anything goes wrong with your account! They share those contacts during lectures.

2. Join good fellowships, if you're very committed they might influence your posting to a good place. I'm a beneficiary of that!

3. Mingle more and get as much contacts as possible, you don't know when you'll be needing someone's help!

4. Attend SAED classes that have the potential of helping you make money on the side, you'll need it later more than FG money

5. Treat people well , that's the first rule of building relationships and networks

6. Take God serious or get ready to walk alone

Ps: I might share my post-camp experience too, but not so sure if I'll have the time.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 12, 2021
It was a good and worthwhile read Esyy. I wish you a fruitful Post Camp experience.

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 12:07pm On Jan 12, 2021
vakjay08:
It was a good and worthwhile read Esyy. I wish you a fruitful Post Camp experience.

Amen. Thank you Vakjay...... I do appreciate your kind words
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by SamuelLoch: 5:16pm On Jan 12, 2021
I found every piece enlightening, and interesting. I could imagine the scenery in my head.
Thanks!
Safe trip and God's best!
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Brightfab(m): 5:55pm On Jan 12, 2021
Totally appreciate you for sharing your story, wishing you all the best. You can still share post camp experience once in a while when you're less busy. kiss
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2021
SamuelLoch:
I found every piece enlightening, and interesting. I could imagine the scenery in my head.
Thanks!
Safe trip and God's best!

Amen.......Thanks SamuelLoch for the good wishes smiley
Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 7:15pm On Jan 12, 2021
Brightfab:
Totally appreciate you for sharing your story, wishing you all the best. You can still share post camp experience once in a while when you're less busy. kiss

Sure, I will.

Thanks too for following through to this point!

Your first comment on this thread helped me continue with the story! smiley

2 Likes

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Brightfab(m): 10:59pm On Jan 12, 2021
Esyy:

Sure, I will.

Thanks too for following through to this point!

Your first comment on this thread helped me continue with the story! smiley

Glad i did, you've done well nd i enjoyed reading your experience.

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Sinachi100: 1:42pm On Jan 13, 2021
Esyy
You are blessed Chukwu gozie gi

1 Like

Re: My NYSC Camp Experience In Akwa Ibom State! by Esyy(f): 2:19pm On Jan 13, 2021
Sinachi100:
Esyy

You are blessed
Chukwu gozie gi

Amen! Thanks Sinachi smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Brigadier-General Fada Appointed NYSC DG, Resumes Wednesday / Ebonyi Corper Dies 10 Days After A Friend Dreamt About His Death / Cynthia Amarachi Nwawuike: Corper Missing After Boarding Bus From Osun To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.