Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 (32051 Views)

Don’t Use Benin Kingdom To Catch Cruise – Kabaka Warns / Wike, Ortom, Ikpeazu Are Using Peter Obi To Catch Cruise - Deji Adeyanju / Iskilu Wakili Jiyàn Ọ̀rọ̀, Ó Ní Òun Kò Mọ Ohunkohun Nípa Ìṣekúpani Ibarapa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Islie: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
Sọ̀rọ̀ sókè, don’t leave me, 10 other popular trends Nigerians used to “catch cruise” in 2020

......Despite the challenges encountered in the year, Nigerians found ways of cracking humour at the gloomiest of times.

By Yusuf Akinpelu

When you ask some Nigerians, they would summarise 2020 to be January, February, Lockdown, #ENDSARS and Weddings, all in the bid to tell you how long the year has been for them.

From having to survive a ravaging pandemic that grounded economic activities and forced the nation into total lockdown to a nationwide protest against police brutality and to the worst recession in decades, 2020 has been unprecedented.

Despite these, however, Nigerians have a way of cracking humour at the gloomiest of times. This they have done by creating humorous and witty slogans online to, in local parlance, “catch cruise.”

Here are some of the slogans that were popular in 2020.

Sọ̀rọ̀ sókè

Arguably the year’s most significant slogan, sọ̀rọ̀ sókè resonates well among young Nigerians, 80 per cent of whom are below 40. This generation has often been taunted as docile and indifferent to national socio-political discourse.

Meaning “speak up,” the catchphrase became the face of the #ENDSARS agitation by Nigerian youths which demanded an end to police brutality and justice for victims of police brutality.

The slogan had been around before now. Not only was it a street lingo used sarcastically to urge on a sluggish person to wise up, it had featured in the lines of some singles and a few Yoruba movies to spur a bland character to brace up.

But the slogan made its full debut this year alongside “werey dey disguise” (to show faux-shyness), and it was infectious too that even Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu used it to appeal to a horde of agitated protesters in the bid to reassure them during the #EndSARS protests.

After meetings with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF today, I will like to sòrò soke about what we are immediately doing in Lagos to build trust, #EndPoliceBrutality and ensure we don’t have to address these issues again.

After meetings with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF today, I will like to sòrò soke about what we are immediately doing in Lagos to build trust, #EndPoliceBrutality and ensure we don't have to address these issues again. pic.twitter.com/g0wt3dHcu0

— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 15, 2020

Although the protesters won’t have any of that, he was able to calm some nerves.

Don’t leave me.

Haunted by a pandemic and months of forced lockdown, the “don’t leave me challenge” served as a precious reprieve for millions of Nigerians and it quickly spread across the world particularly on Twitter, Instagram and Tiktok.

The brainchild of Josh Alfred, a Nigerian comedian popularly known as Josh2funny, the challenge involves using puns and prop comedy to spark humour.

Egged on by his hype man, Bello Khabir, Josh2funny electrified the social media in March when he punned about the word “leaf”, saying he could not talk because he was on leave. Beneath his feet was a leaf. Since then the challenge has gathered a life of its own and has not looked back since then.

O wrong nau

When a Nigerian wishes to rebuke you for doing something, they tell you “O wrong nau,” a code-switch catchphrase from Yoruba and English meaning “it is wrong.”

But that’s not to say what you are doing is wrong. It could just be your interlocutor craving to crack you up.

For instance, why would you not share this piece after reading it? O wrong nau.

This life no balance

This slogan is used to describe how unfair and uneven life is. At times it is yin for some and yang for others.

Or how do you explain how a Nigerian billionaire flew with his daughter to Italy for an hour to get gelato, an Italian variant of ice cream made from milk and sugar and other flavouring, when there is another man’s son somewhere who barely gets pipe borne water to drink?

Quick stop in Italy for some ice cream!��� #FamilyFirst pic.twitter.com/D4wKMdhcNs

— Cuppy � (@cuppymusic) July 18, 2019

They would tell you it’s because this “life no balance.”

Wahala for who no…

When 24-year-old American singer, Enisa, wanted to warm her way into the hearts of Nigerians, she first adopted a Nigerian name, Eniola. For that, she got an overwhelming outpour of love on twitter from Nigerians.

Her Nigerian fan base would rise when she told her twitter followers she was learning pidgin and she used the slogan “wahala for who no like Enisa”

Wahala for who no like Enisa ��� (Follow my Instagram too @iamEnisa) pic.twitter.com/2XYRApiNQu

— ENISA (@IAmENISA) December 21, 2020

“My tomorrow, did I tell you I fell for you before I met you?” came the response of a fan. “Did I tell you that in your eyes I can see my tomorrow Enisa?” Other fans had a good laugh too.

My tomorrow , did I tell you I fell for you before I met you? Did I tell you that in your eyes I can see my tomorrow Enisa? pic.twitter.com/RUlqSUduY1

— Mac Henry (@iammachenry) December 21, 2020

Another variant of the slogan is “wahala be like bicycle.”

We meuvve

To urge themselves on to move on after a miss, Nigerians would say “we meuvve”. The slogan is used to buoy up someone to try again and not give in but show the typical Nigerian can-do spirit.

It also used to inspire someone to dwell more on positivity and what can be changed as against despairing over a down moment. So let’s “meuvve” on.

Na the matter we dey settle
Imagine a situation where the situation is so dire that to resolve it would require some ingenious conflict resolution masterstroke, that’s when this slogan is used.

Here is an example from a twitter user:

“Mr. A bought (a) Twitter account from Mr B. Mr. A only paid 70% that he will balance up. To cut it short, Jack suspend(s) the account after 2 days. Mr. A want(s) to collect his money. Mr. B want to collect his 30%. Na the matter we dey settle here. Please A or B?”

Premium Gist:�

Mr. A bought Twitter account from Mr B. Mr. A only only paid 70% that he will balance up.

To cut it short, Jack suspend the account after 2 days. Mr. A want to collect his money. Mr. B want to collect his 30%

Na the matter we dey settle here � Please A or B? pic.twitter.com/KDnJMahsb0

— Engr Dray � | 1Cor. 9:27! � (@Dray4lyf) November 3, 2020

Forget the urge to always shalaye

Talk less, act more – that is the message passed by this slogan. It is often used to discourage people from being loose in order to stay out of troubles or indict themselves.

It was the stunning last line used by Nigerian artiste Falz in his movie Quam’s Money which served as a cliffhanger in anticipation of the second part of the comedy.

Ko kpor ké (KPK)?

When you look dapper, you get “kò kpor ké?” as a compliment. When you achieve a goal, you get the catchphrase as a compliment. When you are seen as being affluent, “kò kpor ké?” is how you are praised.

That’s to tell you, with a subtle hope that it continues to blossom, you drip with riches and grace. This is done by waving the index and middle fingers.

Me as a…

One of the latest of the year, this slogan is purely aimed at hurl jibes. The face of the meme is Nigerian artiste, Osita Iheme, also known as Pawpaw.

The “me as a Nigerian” series, for one, is a satirical depiction of the Nigerian society and how people in different professions are likely to behave.

Mad o

To show shock, surprise or awe, you say “mad o” (or in a funkier way, “mehd o”).

E Be things

To show perplexion, you hear E Be things. Once you hear that, look out for the tone of finality because that will be all. E Be things.

Other slangs that trended in 2020 include: I cannot comman goan kill myself; sense will not kill me; ko necestri; God no go shame; mofo o; he shock you?; E choke.

We hope you add other slangs that were left out as you have fun.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/433245-soro-soke-dont-leave-me-10-other-popular-trends-nigerians-used-to-catch-cruise-in-2020.html

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Obagreatdatoye(m): 2:21pm On Dec 27, 2020
Nice one

7 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kinematics: 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
For me wey no con dey SW
Soro soke, o wrong nau, shalaye, ko kpor ke, cannot make the list.

I'd title this your post popular trends Lagosians used in 2020

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Righteousness2(m): 2:27pm On Dec 27, 2020
Mummy Calm Down

187 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by IamWonderful: 2:30pm On Dec 27, 2020
You are doing well

Legbe legbe

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kriss216: 2:35pm On Dec 27, 2020
"EDO NO BE LAGOS" will forever remain evergreen in our memories.

God bless Edo
God bless Obaseki

165 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by LukasPodolski: 2:44pm On Dec 27, 2020
Yoruba language too sweet joor.

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Fvckhypocrite(f): 2:48pm On Dec 27, 2020
Na #endbuhari sweet me pass

11 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by IamWonderful: 2:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kriss216:

God bless Edo
God bless Obaseki

Hahahahahahahaha the 3 credit governor is already battling with his life, he has started extending the hand of fellowship to people on the matter, from reliable source the man is considering a soft landing for himself, that was why Philip Shuaib lauded Oshiomole recently, Buhari has been calming and countering some political structure in the APC to let the governor be, but some APC chieftains are ready to dare consequences to bring him down, he might even defect before the end of his tenure if he they decided to let him be.

8 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by yungbillionaire(m): 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
Islie:

Sọ̀rọ̀ sókè, don’t leave me, 10 other popular trends Nigerians used to “catch cruise” in 2020

......Despite the challenges encountered in the year, Nigerians found ways of cracking humour at the gloomiest of times.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/433245-soro-soke-dont-leave-me-10-other-popular-trends-nigerians-used-to-catch-cruise-in-2020.html

Lalasticlala

What about honourable minister off your mic!!!!... grin

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Fvckhypocrite(f): 3:02pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:
For me wey no con dey SW

get well soon dear!

37 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kriss216: 3:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
IamWonderful:
Hahahahahahahaha the 3 credit governor is already battling with his life, he has started extending the hand of fellowship to people on the matter, from reliable source the man is considering a soft landing for himself, that was why Philip Shuaib lauded Oshiomole recently, Buhari has been calming and countering some political structure in the APC to let the governor be, but some APC chieftains are ready to dare consequences to bring him down, he might even defect before the end of his tenure if he they decided to let him be.
Wailer, keep wailing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by complexBoss12: 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
lol
Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by SavageMaster: 3:15pm On Dec 27, 2020
11. Wetin Musa no go see for gate shocked shocked

138 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Legalcriminal: 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:
For me wey no con dey SW

Tell your uncle to carry you come Lagos if una don finish your New Year festival

38 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Emyzoloye5(m): 4:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kriss216:

God bless Edo
God bless Obaseki

Oshomole right now......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kinematics: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2020
Legalcriminal:

Tell your uncle to carry you come Lagos if una don finish your New Year festival

To do what in Lagos?

4 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kinematics: 4:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
get well soon dear!

I tell you say I sick b4?

1 Like

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Fvckhypocrite(f): 5:31pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:

I tell you say I sick b4?
so for your mind u think say u well?

14 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Kinematics: 5:31pm On Dec 27, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
so for your mind u think say u well?

Na u dey sick me....

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Fvckhypocrite(f): 5:33pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:

Na u dey sick me....
Lol Wish u quick recovery

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Enudapan: 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Our Nigerian pidgin English
Is yet to be completed
Each year we add new phrase, clauses and words
So next year we move

O.P you forget to add "Edo no be Lagos"

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
sad

None of those trended here in the village
Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by fdigital(m): 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
Any slang that is in English or pidgin would easily diffuse in south south
and se, the others would be tagged yoruba slangs
Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by NaijaOlosho(f): 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
grin
Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by AyoConduit: 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Most are quite funny. grin

Alaye soro soke

1 Like

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Karlifate: 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
cheesy grin

14 Likes

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by neurowale001(m): 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
G
Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by JaySterling: 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Trash! No one in the North or South East knows or used this slangs

Remember, north has 19 states, more than half of Nigeria

So if northerners don’t use this slangs, you can’t title this thread “10 popular slangs used by Nigerians in 2020”

Totally incorrect

It should be more like “10 popular slangs used by Lagosians, Yorubas, or South Westerners in 2020”

I’m also very sure people in the south south of Nigeria like PH, Benin and Warri know nothing about this slangs

The Slang every Nigerian used is “Wahala be like bicycle”

And it didn’t even make your trashy list

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by Evergreen4(m): 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
#Wahala be like bicycle, e no dey hard to start

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sọ̀rọ̀ Sókè, 10 Other Popular Trends Nigerians Used To “catch Cruise" In 2020 by inumidun2010(m): 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
Yen Yen Yen.. E shock You?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Commissions Newly Built Vetland School In Agege, Lagos (Video, Pics) / Buhari Appoints Dikko Head Of Small Arms, Weapons Control Agency / 2023: I May Emerge Consensus PDP Presidential Candidate — Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.