Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,005 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. (42330 Views)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination / A Culture Shock For A Nigerian In Diaspora / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Carlyboi(m): 12:34pm On Apr 17, 2021
hahn:

Naija go record your Bleep up use am about you when your eye don clear

Before nko?na who drunk and high Shame go catch na! grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by gurujoe(m): 12:36pm On Apr 17, 2021
When I landed in Spain the hotel I lodged, immediately I saw the wall socket with light I quickly rush to bluck my mobile phone. Forgetting I wasn't in Nigeria

26 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by merits(m): 12:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
eddyline:
e be like say if I find myself over there, I'd really embarrass myself no be small.
You will adjust na.
Mine own experience;I always called everyone Oga and says sir whenever anyone called my name.
At the end I was nicknamed Oga sir.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Oluwaricky88(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17, 2021
make una help... I want to leave this countree
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Leebeedo(m): 12:44pm On Apr 17, 2021
First week in the UK and winter was just starting. I had a hair cut cos I wanted to change my style from afro to skull without having a winter cap on me. I regret am oh grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Idaytesj29(m): 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2021
OwenJesse27:

Lolzzz grin why you nor beat her collect am grin

He will be on the next flight to hell fire called Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Apr 17, 2021
Mine was first week I was entering the lift to go up to my.brithers apartment and I saw my neighbors kid who just bumped into my way and walked past I pulled h back and asked can't you greet?

Well the police officer understood it was my first time there grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by luckingto50: 12:52pm On Apr 17, 2021
samwash:
One tin when shook me pass
You buy cloth for shop, you return ham after 2wks , them still give you change ontop the mata, say the cloth price don reduce since you buy ham.
I wonder if a very honest Nigerian will do that.
They will say God don answer their prayers.
Am not sure if I will do that either.

Even if you pay and you never still comot from d shop Ipob man will never give u your money again. He will rather tell you to add money to take another one

18 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Samuels90: 12:54pm On Apr 17, 2021
Saltybear:
Mine was first week I was entering the lift to go up to my.brithers apartment and I saw my neighbors kid who just bumped into my way and walked past I pulled h back and asked can't you greet?

Well the police officer understood it was my first time there grin
lol, pure Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by CAPITALBEE: 12:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
HalpyBee:

Good evening ma, Good evening sir grin

Lol

Pele ooo... Omoluabi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Equity15(m): 1:09pm On Apr 17, 2021
This thread funny gan

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by AdemolaA2: 1:13pm On Apr 17, 2021
sinkhole:
That is too much now, even here in Nigeria when your Prof says I'm OK, you better back off be dat otherwise some Profs will rain insult on you if you insist embarassed

In naija during under graduate days , one lecturer tagged me an arrogant person cos I don’t collect bags from him when he’s walking to the class .
Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by AdemolaA2: 1:15pm On Apr 17, 2021
OwenJesse27:

Lolzzz grin why you nor beat her collect am grin

Hehehehe .. I suffer for my undergraduate days cos say I no Dey collect bag for one lecturer hand when em dey come class .. na that mentality I Carry go abroad make same no repeat emsef oo . I no know say Oyinbo lecturers no Dey send eye-service thing

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by sinkhole: 1:22pm On Apr 17, 2021
AdemolaA2:

In naija during under graduate days , one lecturer tagged me an arrogant person cos I don’t collect bags from him when he’s walking to the class .
Yeah, I understand but if you offer to take the bag and the person declined, please do not insist!
It is part of our culture here to always help an elderly person, who may be clearly weak but if the elderly person declined the help then respect that too.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by AdemolaA2: 1:24pm On Apr 17, 2021
sinkhole:
Yeah, I understand but if you offer to take the bag and the person declined, please do not insist!
It is part of our culture here to always help an elderly person, who may be clearly weak but if the elderly person declined the help then respect that too.

Yes ooo .. you’re right !!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Rocktation(f): 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2021
I had hit submit, without answering question nine in one of my exams. Partly, because I was pressed for time, but mostly because I wasn't confident of a-how to approach it. Got home, took a bath, ate, flexed as per thank God I'm done with exams, slept and woke up the next morning to my prof's email, asking why I did not attempt question nine and to do so and resubmit, within 30minutes of receiving the mail.

Na dia my mouth hang. shocked

37 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by drlateef: 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2021
Calling them Professor this, Dr that, engineer this, it makes them freak out. They think you are trying to “bribe” them. It puts them off completely. Better stick to their first name, even if he is old enough to be your dad. It took me sometime to adjust to that. And I was looked on with suspicion until I adapted to it.

Many of our boys have entered trouble with their girls who flirt with them. Our men are too quick to misread their signals. And they got their fingers burnt big time. Some of them spent time in prison for sexual harassment.

Another thing is looking down instead of looking straight in their face during conversation. If you look down in U.K., you are timid. In Dubai, looking straight in the eyes of a woman brings you trouble.

You dare not help a fallen old woman on the street, you might be in trouble. Call the ambulance and leave her, don’t help her to stand.

Never you walk on the same side of the street while a woman is coming directly at you. She will feel threatened unless it’s a busy street. Choose to cross to the other side especially at night.

Yes, we have used a blender for 1 year and returned to John Lewis. They replaced it even though nothing wrong with it.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Ikwerelastborn: 1:38pm On Apr 17, 2021
gurujoe:
When I landed in Spain the hotel I lodged, immediately I saw the wall socket with light I quickly rush to bluck my mobile phone. Forgetting I wasn't in Nigeria
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by TheLasyBuddha: 2:05pm On Apr 17, 2021
I am shocked by these culture shocks!
God when?! When dem go shock me sef.
In fact, electrocute me with culture of white people.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by bilulu(m): 2:10pm On Apr 17, 2021
SimplyFacts:
You returned a jacket after two weeks, got another & still collected balance

That is too nice to be true angry

I can only keep my sanity by nursing the thought that Naija must have a satellite site under construction somewhere cool
You can buy show for someone in naija and still return it when you travel back. On some conditions though, the label is still intact and you ve the recept and within the return date. when buying things you should ask of their return policy. no b say u don wear am finish go gbensh dem come dey return am

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 17, 2021
lascos912:
you will adapt within a month

Adapt within a month? That's an exaggeration.

There's a lot to learn and it takes more than a month to learn the ways and doings of your new society.

I'm writing from a personal experience.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by bilulu(m): 2:13pm On Apr 17, 2021
Tookool:
My guy cast him job twice ...he said he's an ESTATE MANAGER working in Texas, client say "oh sorry scammer, we call it REALTOR here"
Second time e say "NETWORK no good" client talk say it's "SIGNAL over here"
don't mind those Americans, always wanting to make u feel bad. I went to buy my bicycle and I asked if it has been assembled, they were all looking at me, they called about 3 different staffs and non could tell what I meant till another passerby said "built".... see all of them saying "oooh". I just jeje carry my bike go house.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by IAMPEDRO: 2:17pm On Apr 17, 2021
Fidelismaria:
Naira land = Twitter old threads dumping ground.
Your new trends are on which platform?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by salford1: 2:19pm On Apr 17, 2021
In Manchester UK, two teenage boys kissing at the bus stop.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by GloShare(m): 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2021
Just yesterday one of our major directors was dragging about 7 bags to work.

We got to the sanitization dock and after I was done, I offered to help with some bags. He rejected outrightly.

On the contrary, he just requested i help him hold the door open.

-----------------

Last month I received a medal because I bought cupcakes on international women's day. Small cheap cupcakes, yet the impact was overwhelming. The appreciation was over the roof.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by GloShare(m): 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2021
SimplyFacts:
You returned a jacket after two weeks of purchase, got another & still collected balance

That is too nice to be true angry

I can only keep my sanity by nursing the thought that Naija must have a satellite site under construction somewhere cool

I returned a socks I bought three weeks ago, got a new one plus gift card.

Last year I got essential oil diffuser for free because the price on the shelf was different from what showed on the self check out machine after I scanned it.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by kuuljay(m): 2:41pm On Apr 17, 2021
Every nairalander don travel out before,but na still nairalander you go find the worst assholss

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Freethinker87: 2:50pm On Apr 17, 2021
Mine was this splitting of bills. My coursemate called me one evening and said "mate, let's go out for dinner". We met at a pizza place with 5 other people, both boys and girls.

"What should we order?"
"What are you going to eat, bruv?"

The whole question thingy and I was excited about the experience. It was my first time going out to dinner with a group of white people. We later agreed on a large pizza with cheese crust, drinks and all.

When we finished eating, as a Nigerian I was expecting the boys to contribute randomly (You know one person brings 10, another one drops 5 etc) sInce the bill wasn't that much.

I was shocked when one of the boys brought out a scientific calculator and was sharing this bill with military precision. He looked at me and said "Yo, you ate the crust, your bill is 4.20". I was like "WTF!! Am I not suppose to eat the crust?" I felt weird that day. Shame no gree me look the girls for eye.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by wristbangle: 2:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
If you dare ask a white person this question, "How was your night"? You will ever regret asking that question. Those who can relate will understand cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by wristbangle: 3:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Rocktation:
I had hit submit, without answering question nine in one of my exams. Partly, because I was pressed for time, but mostly because I wasn't confident of a-how to approach it. Got home, took a bath, ate, flexed as per thank God I'm done with exams, slept and woke up the next morning to my prof's email, asking why I did not attempt question nine and to do so and resubmit, within 30minutes of receiving the mail.

Na dia my mouth hang. shocked

Ah! shocked This one shock me o. Long time rocky!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by Rocktation(f): 3:06pm On Apr 17, 2021
wristbangle:

Ah! shocked This one shock me o. Long time rocky!

Yeso..how are we?

I have had several shocks oo..but ehnnn, na that day I really carry armpit up for oyinbo grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. by samwash(m): 3:09pm On Apr 17, 2021
luckingto50:

Even if you pay and you never still comot from d shop Ipob man will never give u your money again. He will rather tell you to add money to take another one

You just get ham, na their attitude be that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inside China's Overnight High Speed Train You Sleep While Rolling Down The Track / Okija Presents Owerri..... (pictures) / Dispatch Rider Killed By BRT Bus In Ojuelegba, Lagos (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.