Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate (29926 Views)

Man Pays ₦217M For A RR1 Number Plate, The Price Of 20 Brand New Toyota Camry / Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Lagos State License Number Plate Codes & What They Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 4:08am On Dec 30, 2020
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 4:28am On Dec 30, 2020
owolabi5
pattybf
Gazzuzz
Radautoworks

And any other person that understands Lagos vehicle registration process should please respond...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by radautoworks: 4:45am On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
owolabi5
pattybf
Gazzuzz
Radautoworks

And any other person that understands Lagos vehicle registration process should please respond...
I know nothing about this... Employee does it for me..

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 5:52am On Dec 30, 2020
This pains me so much. So much.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by HarunaWest(m): 6:05am On Dec 30, 2020
When eventually you secure your vehicle, jejely tag NPF and Segalink on twitter... Make this same complaint..Action will be taken.

127 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by owolabi5: 6:30am On Dec 30, 2020
The sad truth is that the policemen were extortionist and since it appeared on the Lagos State Database (verify.autoreg.ng), they should have backed out.

Unfortunately it is not the duty of the police to identify fake particulars because they don't have that capability, they are expected to provide security in detecting stolen vehicles, criminals in transit etc.

Checking particulars validity ceased to be a duty of The Nigeria Police when VIO was craved out of her in 1967. But this is Nigeria!

186 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by FirstCounsel(m): 6:33am On Dec 30, 2020
I'll keep an eye on this thread to know how you resolved this issue eventually. Make sure those brigands pay for this nonsense.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by DelTel(m): 6:52am On Dec 30, 2020
So sad about the experience. You didn't commit any offence to be detained and locked up!

The police guys just scammed you using the excuse of FRSC, JTB and licensing offices inefficiency. The truth is that number plates are not updated on the FRSC portal for months i.e most Lagos numbers with G are not yet uploaded, last update was for F numbers likewise any other state number newly issued.

You should report to relevant (higher) authorities to bringing the police officers to book for their behaviour. Of cos, the DPO is not ignorant of the payment!

For those eager and desirous to know the link to check the plate numbers, here it is: https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

108 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ITbomb(m): 7:06am On Dec 30, 2020
On a normal day, it is not even their responsibility

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by eHydrated(m): 7:30am On Dec 30, 2020
Your documents are valid.

Rule of thumb; before you travel interstate, make sure your car registration was done atleast 4- 5 months ago. Data harmonisation takes time and security personnels will always exploit that loophole.

All the best

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by pattybf(f): 7:34am On Dec 30, 2020
This is very sad.

I dont know if I am to believe these police men are ignorant of Lagos postition in printing their own plate and uploading only to their website ( verify.autoreg.ng) or they intentionally extorted you with such inhumane treatment.

I am going to copy and paste this your experience to our agents group. MVAA attention must be drawn to this .

Will send a dm

127 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by sheu01: 8:17am On Dec 30, 2020
Even my own plate number is yet to b uploaded on FRSC but my paper will expire 24th Feb, 2021. It show valid but not assigned on FRSC site but autoreg show valid with expire date and d actual amt they paid. Follow up with d case with them or you write a letter to IG and CP of your state and narrate your ordeals with Police as u explained here or you goto popular newspaper like Punch to publish for u but I believe u get justice.
Pls note letter to IG, you can use DHL to deliver d letter for u in Abuja and they return their acknowledgement to u

84 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by pattybf(f): 8:27am On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number. Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid". I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC. He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation. They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station. They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released. He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.
I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.

Please respond to my dm or contact me directly via my signature. My group has sent help.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by oluwabukola87028: 9:55am On Dec 30, 2020
owolabi5pattybfGazzuzzRadautoworksAnd any other person that understands Lagos vehicle registration process should please respond...
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 10:30am On Dec 30, 2020
pattybf:

Please respond to my dm or contact me directly via my signature. My group has sent help.
Thanks. I have responded

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 10:40am On Dec 30, 2020
Thank you all for your responses. I am now sure that my plate number is not fake. I am at the police station waiting for the arrival of the IPO and DPO. A police man that was part of the squad that I spoke to still maintain that the plate number is fake since it is not on FRSC database. To them that is the only database they know. He also said that if they release the car, it may not be with the plate number since it is 'fake'. The DPO will have the final say when he arrives. After then I will know what to do.

25 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Control7: 10:55am On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
Thank you all for your responses. I am now sure that my plate number is not fake. I am at the police station waiting for the arrival of the IPO and DPO. A police man that was part of the squad that I spoke to still maintain that the plate number is fake since it is not on FRSC database. To them that is the only database they know. He also said that if they release the car, it may not be with the plate number since it is 'fake'. The DPO will have the final say when he arrives. After then I will know what to do.

You are just being gentle with them and putting yourself at the mercy of the DPO/whoever is in charge.

Go on Twitter, create a tread, tagg Police CRU unit, Segalink, ACP Isiaku, you can also call +2348057000003 (NPF control room Abuja). You will get your money back with an apology.

MODIFIED: @IKPUMBE1 your attention is needed on Twitter

127 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 11:22am On Dec 30, 2020
Control7:

You are just being gentle with them and putting yourself at the mercy of the DPO/whoever is in charge.

Go on Twitter, create a tread, tagg Police CRU unit, Segalink, ACP Isiaku, you can also call +2348057000003 (NPF control room Abuja). You will get your money back with an apology.
I like exhausting all peaceful options before hitting hard. That is part of my options.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

I like exhausting all peaceful options before hitting hard. That is part of my options.
Peaceful options with animals in human skin? After they held you at gunpoint, abducted you and your brother, commandeered your car, stripped you down to your underwear and held you prisoner? Your father had to pay a ransom for your life, in case you forget. And all for what? You are indeed naive if you believe they didn't know your plates are genuine. Please let them have their day in (public) court. If not for yourself, do it for the next man they will so savage.

182 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by DelTel(m): 1:24pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

I get your point actually, words are easy to spill than action.

However, they know they are wrong and just using it as excuse to extort you; conversely their ignorance does not exonerate them or allows them to lock you up.

PS: I want to believe some of the policemen/women have their personal cars around, check the website to see if any of their cars is not valid too cheesy and point it out to them (that's what I do to FRSC officials whenever they stop me and people I know over tyre expiration rubbish they say and it has never failed grin).

40 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by KnightsTemplar(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2020
OP mine is not even in the FRSC data base but valid with the licensing office. Nigeria is a very terrible country. I don't know wheather men and women of the NPF swore an oath to be stupid and extremely wicked, and the annoying thing is the authorities fail and keep ignoring this cancer called the Nigeria police force. This I know will be their new tactics to extort and kill, because alot of vehicle will not be in FRSC database. It's just terrible I hate those people. Mods please kindly move to front page so that Nigerians will be aware.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2020
ModelX:
Peaceful options with animals in human skin? After they held you at gunpoint, abducted you and your brother, commandeered your car, stripped you down to your underwear and held you prisoner? Your father had to pay a ransom for your life, in case you forget. And all for what? You are indeed naive if you believe they didn't know your plates are genuine. Please let them have their day in (public) court. If not for yourself, do it for the next man they will so savage.
They collected another twenty one thousand naira to release the vehicle today. In total, fifty one thousand five hundred naira was extorted from us. I need justice...

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
https://twitter.com/JP_Lyte/status/1344260225801531393?s=19

That's the Twitter link please guys share it.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by oginga: 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2020
@ op, sorry for what happened to you and your lovely family.

Those police men scammed you big time.

Report the issue to the IGP'S office Abuja in form of petition through your Lawyer, put your state commissioner of police in CC.

Since you are based in Lagos and the said car was registered in Lagos, send copies of your report/petition to the governor's office, Lagos state commissioner of police and Amnesty International.
Note... Don't go there in person, use DHL to deliver all your petitions and make sure they send acknowledgement letter back to you via your lawyer.

Like someone said earlier, tweet out your report and tag appropriate authorities in your post.

Good luck! .

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by captainking(m): 4:17pm On Dec 30, 2020
pattybf:
This is very sad.

I dont know if I am to believe these police men are ignorant of Lagos postition in printing their own plate and uploading only to their website ( verify.autoreg.ng) or they intentionally extorted you with such inhumane treatment.

I am going to copy and paste this your experience to our agents group. MVAA attention must be drawn to this .

Will send a dm

Nice one patty.... Kudos...

7 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:44pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

That's your mistake. You shouldn't be peaceful with them at all; you're in the right and shouldn't be taking nonsense. From the start, you don suppose dey shout for them.

My plate still isn't showing on the Lagos FRSC website, but I've verified it internally. Any policeman wey go come tell me rubbish go prepare shoot me before I allow am use me catch their yeye cruise.

23 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by pattybf(f): 5:08pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

Thanks. I have responded

Didnt see it.

Use this: 08023138853

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 30, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

They collected another twenty one thousand naira to release the vehicle today. In total, fifty one thousand five hundred naira was extorted from us. I need justice...
Let me assume you gave them all of the money in cash. So now it's your word against theirs.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 7:48pm On Dec 30, 2020
ModelX:
Let me assume you gave them all of the money in cash. So now it's your word against theirs.
I gave them the money in cash but have them admit receiving it in a recorded audio. That will be my evidence.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Ikpumbe1: 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2020
I just made a formal complaint to police complaint unit of force headquarters. That's the first level of my fight. If they didn't do anything reasonable I will escalate it. Suggestions are also welcomed.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Mayor555(m): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2020
Cc
diportivo
Buygala
Mammambawa
Thebigkendo
Gazzuzz
Zizzou
Kingreign
Nurey

Please bosses lend your voices.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cars On Display At The 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show / 2020 Nissan Juke Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / Photos Of The Outstanding 2020 Nissan Armada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.