Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,578 members, 7,837,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate (30059 Views)

Man Pays ₦217M For A RR1 Number Plate, The Price Of 20 Brand New Toyota Camry / Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Lagos State License Number Plate Codes & What They Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Fidelismaria: 8:26am On Dec 31, 2020
Op, has your money been refunded?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Attakwu101: 8:26am On Dec 31, 2020
IKPUMBE meanings tortoise pussy
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by xjiggy: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2020
Just checked my vehicles. Both show invalid. I've had the corolla for over 4yrs, though the other one is just this year.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by 400billionman: 8:28am On Dec 31, 2020

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by deltateam: 8:29am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

I like exhausting all peaceful options before hitting hard. That is part of my options.

What if they were so happy trigger and shot you?

They will deprive your family of a bread winner.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Zane2point4(m): 8:31am On Dec 31, 2020
jaxxy:
What is wrong with this country? Why are people so mean, inconsiderate and stupid all at thesame time? Look at our police service acting like hooligans and touts.

Is our police service not Educated enough?? Should we demand better Education for them or what??

Both Formal and Social education. undecided
Aba is worst,you see that state,only God can redeem them,worst sets of illiterates,everyone acts like touts so I don't expect much frm police,am not suprised.
Thank God for endsars movt, aba sars looks like highway robbers.

3 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by calculator101(m): 8:33am On Dec 31, 2020
Kindly check again on the FRSC verification site please note no space in between the number for example #GGE123FG# not like this GGE 123 FG.
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Joyrise: 8:33am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.

You are saying the truth because I also registered my car in Lagos in August and when I checked the plate number on FRSC website, it was invalid. I contacted our friend that did the registration with FRSC called the staff and she told us same thing as you explained, LASG produce her own plate number but pay a certain amount to FRSC so it can be uploaded on their site. Due to my push my plate number was uploaded as VALID but not assigned yet. So I am still waiting for it to be assigned since it is now valid but I guess the problem was ENDSARS protest that caused the upload as their office was burnt down in Lagos. So you will still need LASG officials to upload. The number plate is not fake but police and FRSC will want to exploit the system loopholes to their adbvantage. All FRSC officials knows this but wont behave they know because of greed.

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by maishai: 8:33am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
Thank you all for your responses. I am now sure that my plate number is not fake. I am at the police station waiting for the arrival of the IPO and DPO. A police man that was part of the squad that I spoke to still maintain that the plate number is fake since it is not on FRSC database. To them that is the only database they know. He also said that if they release the car, it may not be with the plate number since it is 'fake'. The DPO will have the final say when he arrives. After then I will know what to do.

op next time u have sufficiently proved that the plate number is yours and original, please speak their language, the only language police understands...............

now u need DPO to minute on your case while the bagger that caught u has gone back to checkpoint and u r languishing in their cell this festive period

At all at all next time just grease them 2k before them carry u go station
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
Tumbulum:
ah swear j pray to meet holigans like you and see you infringe on my right.I will make you not only get dismissed,I will make sure you get jailed
Stupid police man.don't worry Nigerians are waking up and the endsars is just a preamble to what can happen to you and your stupid corrupt colleagues
how many people have you employed or made to secure job through you that made you think you can get me dismissed if I were a police officer?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by DelTel(m): 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
solonubinho:
First, license plate verification is not within the powers of the police. They are acting ultra vires ( outside legal powers). They are looking for bribe, please do not bribe them. Teach them a bitter lesson. Quickly get a very good lawyer to file a Fundamental Human Rights matter before the high court as well as a motion requesting the court to compel the police to release you on bail.

In the same vein, while the suit is filed, file a complaint to the highest police command in the state (police commissioner) and cc the IGP. Also mention the names and numbers of the policemen involved, if you cannot remember, mention the station and the DPO in charge. Also, in the suit, let the parties be the Nigerian police force, each and every of the policemen involved, if you or your lawyers can get their names, the DPO, the State Commissioner of Police. Your lawyer can do all these for you.

I give you less than a few days they will come and release you by themselves. But still continue with the case. Embarrass them till Abuja starts to query the DPO. He will weigh it and ask whether the 20k he wants to collect is worth all this wahala. Deal with them o, do not beg. I repeat, do not beg.

The lawyer most likely will collect more than the ₦30k (or ₦51k) to institute the court case: penny wise; pound foolish.

Most importantly, the guy will still be locked up at the station and spend the Yuletide season there. Perhaps the first court day might be ending of January.

But seriously, wetinLawyersDeyDoSelf? Can't each local NBA offer free legal representatives at every Police Station for quick resolution of small matters like this.

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
Why would a police officer demand for your papers??
Even if they do,they have no right to do anything except FRSC places an order.

This country is really something else.

If you can take this up to the court of law,you'll win em back to back.
And they'll refund all your money.

This is very stupid of them honestly. The police should know their duties
FRSC itself isn't performing it's duties.

*spits in disgust*

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
Ezemarcel:
may God pay u bk in ur coins....
idiot spotted!
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by goody1shoe73(m): 8:40am On Dec 31, 2020
DelTel:
So sad about the experience. You didn't commit any offence to be detained and locked up!

The police guys just scammed you using the excuse of FRSC, JTB and licensing offices inefficiency. The truth is that number plates are not updated on the FRSC portal for months i.e most Lagos numbers with G are not yet uploaded, last update was for F numbers likewise any other state number newly issued.

You should report to relevant (higher) authorities to bringing the police officers to book for their behaviour. Of cos, the DPO is not ignorant of the payment!

For those eager and desirous to know the link to check the plate numbers, here it is: https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

Just tried the link. Mine says valid but yet to be assigned. What do I do to get it assigned?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 8:40am On Dec 31, 2020
StacyO:
Why would a police officer demand for your papers??

This country is really something else.

If you can take this up to the court of law,you'll win em back to back.
And they'll refund all your money.

This is very stupid of them honestly. The police should know their duties
FRSC itself isn't performing it's duties.

*spits in disgust*
I pray they give road safety guns very soon
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by adedehinbo(m): 8:42am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
we don't see gallant mumu like una and you know where e dey always end!
ewure! You suppose come out yarn this when the protest dey go on,no be the one wey u dey run upandan like endangered species

5 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by mekuxiani(m): 8:43am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.
Report your story to @policeng on twitter
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Control7: 8:43am On Dec 31, 2020
@op (Ikpumbe1) your attention is needed on Twitter now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
I pray they give road safety guns very soon

Hahahahahahaha

That'll spell doom.

What exactly would a road safety officer do with a gun??

Oh my goodness!!!!

That is very dumb. Dumbest thing I've ever had

Hahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by thecommunist(m): 8:44am On Dec 31, 2020
ModelX:
Let me assume you gave them all of the money in cash. So now it's your word against theirs.
no need to argue, even a blind, deaf, dumb and crippled all combined into one person knows that any ecounter with the Nigerian police means you must pay money..AKA extortion.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by bayumyguy: 8:46am On Dec 31, 2020
Write to the appropriate authority and ensure u mentioned all the names of the officers in charge including the DPO too and put it on all social platform and narrate how money was collected from you...I assured your money be refunded back to you....Police will never there lesson
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 8:46am On Dec 31, 2020
adedehinbo:
ewure! You suppose come out yarn this when the protest dey go on,no be the one wey u dey run upandan like endangered species
I was part of the genuine peaceful protest until hoodlums like yourself infiltrated the march and started looting.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Tumbulum: 8:47am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
how many people have you employed or made to secure job through you that made you think you can get me dismissed if I were a police officer?
you will definitely get dismissed if you ever cross my part with your nonsense.
Problem is that we gave illiterates guns and made them security agents. Don't worry,the awakening is gradually taking place and people are becoming aware of their rights and the endsars is just a clue to what could happen to some of you.

3 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by davit: 8:47am On Dec 31, 2020
No. They would rather be on the road too, collecting their own money. Awon werey gbogbo
Goalnaldo:
But why can't FRSC do something about this and update their website? Are they not aware some hoodlums are taking advantage of this lapses
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by stonemasonn: 8:50am On Dec 31, 2020
replete:

what does it mean when your vehicle color on the verification page says custom and not the actual colour?
cc: pattybf
custom color, similar to this nairaland background.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by faste: 8:50am On Dec 31, 2020
jaxxy:

If the protests failed then it’s because we didn’t articulate our demands well enough or give proper representation to direct discussion with proper opened channels bt instead focus more on emotions tantrums which can only lead to either mischievous elements hyjacking the protests or losing ur negotiating power.

The protest was not strategic enough even tho it was impact bt directionless in leadership.

How can u be demanding against police brutality, good governance and change in power at thesame time?? In a democracy? That is very foolish and stupid.

The change of power was unnecessary at the time if at all that shud be a separate protest. It’s timing was suspicious and suspect and will make achieving other demands harder unless u want total chaos.
Bro which demand has this government actualize?This buhari goverment is not interested in delivering divident of democracy responsive governance.you cannot offer what you don't have.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by davit: 8:51am On Dec 31, 2020
And the nonsense should continue? SMH
maishai:

op next time u have sufficiently proved that the plate number is yours and original, please speak their language, the only language police understands...............

now u need DPO to minute on your case while the bagger that caught u has gone back to checkpoint and u r languishing in their cell this festive period

At all at all next time just grease them 2k before them carry u go station

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by adedehinbo(m): 8:54am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
I was part of the genuine peaceful protest until hoodlums like yourself infiltrated the march and started looting.
your brain dey pain you ahswear,if truly you were there you won't take side with this devilish police officers.

3 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by toxtimmy: 8:55am On Dec 31, 2020
I think you be cow and you probably need to explain how goat like you was able to get internet to post this?

Wartsnigeria:
There's more to this story, let's even assume your number is fake, the highest they would do is to impound your vehicle until you prove that the license plates are original or give them money which is what they are rally after, stripping you and locking you up is so not normal, we all know they are mad but not to this extent. Police also would not two your vehicle when they Caan force you to drive it to their station, you probably skipped some part of the stroy.

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by EdmundDantes(m): 8:59am On Dec 31, 2020
adedehinbo:

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / Flashback Of Cars That Rock Nigeria Roads In The 80s (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.