Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate (30041 Views)

Man Pays ₦217M For A RR1 Number Plate, The Price Of 20 Brand New Toyota Camry / Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Lagos State License Number Plate Codes & What They Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:59am On Dec 31, 2020
DelTel:
So sad about the experience. You didn't commit any offence to be detained and locked up!

The police guys just scammed you using the excuse of FRSC, JTB and licensing offices inefficiency. The truth is that number plates are not updated on the FRSC portal for months i.e most Lagos numbers with G are not yet uploaded, last update was for F numbers likewise any other state number newly issued.

You should report to relevant (higher) authorities to bringing the police officers to book for their behaviour. Of cos, the DPO is not ignorant of the payment!

For those eager and desirous to know the link to check the plate numbers, here it is: https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

Thank you very much oo, I just check mine now and is ok, I don't really know about this before, but u said last updated is G but mine started with M and is ok,
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 9:04am On Dec 31, 2020
adedehinbo:
your brain dey pain you ahswear,if truly you were there you won't take side with this devilish police officers.
Just maybe you didn't know the reason for your protest. As soon as SARS was disbanded I went back to my house. Only you and your fellow hoodlums continue and turned it to something else
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by fireback: 9:10am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

They collected another twenty one thousand naira to release the vehicle today. In total, fifty one thousand five hundred naira was extorted from us. I need justice...
someone advised you to go after them on social media, when the matter was still hot, but you refuse. now you're calling them out after giving bribe intentionally. now that your car is no longer in their station, what evidence do you have against them. they can deny ever arresting you.

4 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by tyup(m): 9:10am On Dec 31, 2020
Unrated900:
D same happened yesterday to a friend of mine

They stopped him and says the same

It’s a new avenue they used in the east to extort Lagos Number plate.

Ur agent did the right thing.

I think u should tagged Lagos licensing office and explain to them las las you would be compensated for the damage.

If they didn’t answer you,

Then tagged sanwo-Olu

This might be your avenue to change your 05 Honda to 2013 crosstour

Lol Nigerians ehn
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by deltateam: 9:11am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

They collected another twenty one thousand naira to release the vehicle today. In total, fifty one thousand five hundred naira was extorted from us. I need justice...

How silly can you be?
How can you take such action without consultation, having brought it to elders.

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by erico2k2(m): 9:15am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
how do you think stolen vehicles are being recovered? have you ever seen a vio as prosecutor in court?
you sound so uneducated.thr office of public prosecution is withing the police.if you get arrested by any security agency you get handed to the police. same way a civilian can't be charged to court by an army unit.

7 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by tyup(m): 9:20am On Dec 31, 2020
leisuretym:

The police do not do this in the north, the government should better implement all endsars demands now or else the next one would consume them and all those looters

The fear of 20-10-20 is still in people's heart which best explained why the 7th December own failed. For now there'd be no protest of it's like
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
I bet you will not be as dumb as you sound if you read the act that brought frsc into being. and if you are aware of the bill of the Chairman, house committee on frsc. you are very dumb indeed!

Oops

Thought I was chatting with a dolphin.

Got a jellyfish. undecided

5 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by tyup(m): 9:28am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
we don't see gallant mumu like una and you know where e dey always end!

Ur type should be transfered to Sokoto mai u con dey talk or do this gra gra wey u dey do if you no go go join ur Ancestors in a jiffy. wasted sperm

4 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ojesymsym: 9:35am On Dec 31, 2020
I am quoting you only because of your username. Have you read the book or you watched the movie?
EdmundDantes:

Voice of reason...
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Dong2: 9:37am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:

Thanks. I have responded

Be careful so that you don't get scammed here again o. You have already been scammed don't be scammed the second time. You have legitimate ground for official complain.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by livenletlive: 9:39am On Dec 31, 2020
I suffered this fate in 2019 at Asaba. Spent 2k for the police to let me off. Got to Lagos and went to MVAA office at ALAUSA. They issued a cover letter to the effect that the number plate is valid and whoever is concerned should contact them for further details. Lagos state and FRSC should publicly put out a statement to this effect. Many Police personnel are criminals in uniform.

1 Like

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 31, 2020
This is one of the problems with have with a non integrated data base, each state keeps its own data base, its possible that your vehicle registration was not captured.

Private companies are used to do these things and they do a shoddy job.

Just look at what happened when telco companies contracted sim registration to 3rd parties.

You should call the Lagos office and complain to them.

Also report the matter to the PSC.

Corrupt policemen prey on peoples ignorance to commit crimes .
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 9:41am On Dec 31, 2020
erico2k2:

you sound so uneducated.thr office of public prosecution is withing the police.if you get arrested by any security agency you get handed to the police. same way a civilian can't be charged to court by an army unit.
Mr I too know, if vio can't prosecute, but police. can you now tell me why police should hand over to vio?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 9:43am On Dec 31, 2020
StacyO:

Oops

Thought I was chatting with a dolphin.

Got a jellyfish. undecided
tell your findings after reading the act. follow chairman, house committee on frsc and tell your report. dumb hoodlum
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 9:47am On Dec 31, 2020
tyup:

Ur type should be transfered to Sokoto mai u con dey talk or do this gra gra wey u dey do if you no go go join ur Ancestors in a jiffy. wasted sperm
Idiot, is the governor of Sokoto dead, are all the people in Sokoto dead. is there any place in Nigeria or the world at large that is not suitable for life, are human being surviving there? fool
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by 9icetoo(m): 9:48am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
I pray they give road safety guns very soon
Why do they need guns? To check vehicle papers, fire extinguishers and tyres? Are you okay?

8 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by banio: 9:52am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.

Only in Igbo land, will the Nigeria POLICE persecute law abiding Nigerians. Your political leaders need to sit up. Your governor and Government need to sit up. This can NEVER happen in the NORTH

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by subcbouy: 9:54am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
Thank you all for your responses. I am now sure that my plate number is not fake. I am at the police station waiting for the arrival of the IPO and DPO. A policeman that was part of the squad that I spoke to still maintains that the plate number is fake since it is not on the FRSC database. To them, that is the only database they know. He also said that if they release the car, it may not be with the plate number since it is 'fake'. The DPO will have the final say when he arrives. After then I will know what to do.
Keep us update. All these police pretentiously extorting people must stop.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by EdmundDantes(m): 9:57am On Dec 31, 2020
ojesymsym:
I am quoting you only because of your username. Have you read the book or you watched the movie?

The Count of Monte Cristo
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 9:57am On Dec 31, 2020
9icetoo:

Why do they need guns? To check vehicle papers, fire extinguishers and tyres? Are you okay?
Follow the argument before you comment. Don't jump in like an idiot. How are stolen vehicles being recovered if the police are refrained from authenticating vehicle ownership?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Baba40(f): 9:59am On Dec 31, 2020
DelTel:
So sad about the experience. You didn't commit any offence to be detained and locked up!

The police guys just scammed you using the excuse of FRSC, JTB and licensing offices inefficiency. The truth is that number plates are not updated on the FRSC portal for months i.e most Lagos numbers with G are not yet uploaded, last update was for F numbers likewise any other state number newly issued.

You should report to relevant (higher) authorities to bringing the police officers to book for their behaviour. Of cos, the DPO is not ignorant of the payment!

For those eager and desirous to know the link to check the plate numbers, here it is: https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo

Mine is saying "Valid but yet to be assigned" what is the possible implication of this

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Nobody: 10:01am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
tell your findings after reading the act. follow chairman, house committee on frsc and tell your report. dumb hoodlum

All I can say is
*sorry for yourself*

When you mentioned FRSC members making use of guns,was when I knew nothing good can come out from your upper part again.

I wish I had time for not so important persons today. Truth is, I DON'T

Non of your comment on this thread actually made sense.

I really don't blame you cause,nothing works accordingly in Nigeria.

However,it is not entirely the fault of her government but,that of her citizens as well.

If at all Op knew his rights,he wouldn't have given them a dime.

People like you keep making your gullibility quite known to the entire public.

Shame.

Exit.

5 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by tyup(m): 10:01am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
Idiot, is the governor of Sokoto dead, are all the people in Sokoto dead. is there any place in Nigeria or the world at large that is not suitable for life, are human being surviving there? fool

Sokoto governor? people of Sokoto dead?

I've got no opposing opinion to the fact that ur a subliterate Neanderthals. can you imagine undecided contradicting words that urself can't even understand. I can only SMH at the Daft gene you got to inherit

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by Xyz001: 10:03am On Dec 31, 2020
Ikpumbe1:
On 29/12/2020 in Aba, I was stopped by a group of police men while driving myself and family members on my 2005 honda accord. The police men wore just police camouflage polos with no displayed Identity card, name tag or force number and were carrying AK-47 rifles. I was driving my 2005 honda accord car with Lagos registration number.

Inside the car were my two younger brothers, my younger sister, my wife and my one year old baby. The police men requested for my vehicle papers and driver's license which I handed over to them. They said that my license registration number is fake. They showed me an FRSC web page where they ran my plate number and it displayed "Invalid".

I explained to them that the number was duly registered in Lagos and that the plate number was gotten via legal channels and there is no way it can be fake. They wouldn't hear of that. I demanded that they allow me call who registered the vehicle for me which I did. The agent that registered the vehicle for me is a colleague of mine in the office that has connection with FRSC.

He explained to me that Lagos is the only state that produces their plate number themselves and that sometimes they don't upload it on FRSC database. So, that the number doesn't show on FRSC database doesn't mean that it's fake. He gave me Lagos autoreg verification website(verify.autoreg.ng) to give the policemen to verify the plate number . I personally verified my number on the autoreg website and it showed valid. I tried explaining these to the policemen but they wouldn't hear the explanation.

They collected the car keys from me to drive the car to their station but couldn't start the car after several attempts. They ordered I and my younger brother into their miniature mitsubishi bus and took us to their station. They later took my brother back to the car location and towed the vehicle to their station.

They told me to UnCloth to my boxer shorts and detained me inside their cell(the condition of the cell is story for another day). I was detained for approximately 6hours till my dad came and they collected thirty thousand naira from him before releasing me. The DPO ordered for my release after my father intervened and is most likely aware of the thirty thousand that was paid before I was released.

He(DPO) said my vehicle should not be released till they conclude investigation on the license plate issue. They defrauded 30k from my father to effect my release when I committed no crime. My vehicle was duly registered in Lagos which can be verified on autoreg website. They detained me for no just cause for 6hours in a filthy cell that is not fit for lower animals let alone a human being. They refused to release my vehicle till this moment thereby causing a lot of hardship to my family for someone that visited home for Xmas.

I have resolved to fight the humiliation I am suffering in their hands with everything I have got. I just want to be sure that what my agent told me is the truth. Is a plate showing on autoreg but not on FRSC database fake? How can I prove that my plate number is authentic?
Please gurus should respond.

The police just responded to you few minutes ago.

Tell the CRU unit they collected 51K from you, I'm sure they'll refund it

2 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ojesymsym: 10:03am On Dec 31, 2020
Yes, u read the book or watched the movie? If it was the movie you watched then know that you have a watered down (false) version, the book has a far richer content.

EdmundDantes:

The Count of Monte Cristo
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by 9icetoo(m): 10:08am On Dec 31, 2020
nyiamfrank:
Follow the argument before you comment. Don't jump in like an idiot. How are stolen vehicles being recovered if the police are refrained from authenticating vehicle ownership?
Don't reply like a nincompoop. I have no business with the previous dribbles you posted.
I ask a simple question. Why do the FRSC need guns?

What section in their act requires them to carry guns to enforce?

It's a simple question. You shouldn't find it too hard to comprehend. If it's too hard, then you shouldn't be here.

4 Likes

Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by nyiamfrank: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2020
StacyO:

All I can say is
*sorry for yourself*

When you mentioned FRSC members making use of guns,was when I knew nothing good can come out from that saliva hole again.

I wish I had time for not so important persons today. Truth is, I DON'T

Non of your comment on this thread actually made sense.

I really don't blame you cause,nothing works accordingly in Nigeria.

However,it is not entirely the fault of her government but,that of her citizens as well.

If at all Op knew his rights,he wouldn't have given them a dime.

People like you keep making your gullibility quite known to the entire public.

Shame.

Exit.
why are you running? why are you running. the truth is bitter but we must tell it. I didn't write the act. I am not chairman house committee on frsc. you have seen it and instead of telling it to the public, you are now running. WHY are you running?
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by EdmundDantes(m): 10:16am On Dec 31, 2020
ojesymsym:
Yes, u read the book or watched the movie? If it was the movie you watched then know that you have a watered down (false) version, the book has a far richer content.

The movie. I know there is no way the content of a movie can equate that of a book.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by ojesymsym: 10:17am On Dec 31, 2020
Well, in this case it is too far from the true content. Anyway, thanks for engaging.
EdmundDantes:

The movie. I know there is no way the content of a movie can equate that of a book.
Re: I was Locked up, Extorted And Harrassed By Police In Aba Over Lagos Number Plate by EdmundDantes(m): 10:26am On Dec 31, 2020
ojesymsym:
Well, in this case it is too far from the true content. Anyway, thanks for engaging.

Ok. Will see if I can get a copy to download.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? / The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / Flashback Of Cars That Rock Nigeria Roads In The 80s (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.