Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,860 members, 7,828,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video (53879 Views)

Pathetic State Of Schools In Akwa Ibom (pics) / PATHETIC END OF SOME GREAT GENIUSES[PHOTOS] / Photo Of First Primary School In Nigeria, Established in 1865 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2020
Thank you, I am wondering why everyone is coming for me. I have posted over 30 posts here and not a single bad review. My job is to promote tourism in Nigeria and not to kill it, but this is an eyesore. With less than a million naira this building will undergo a facelift just like Freedom park , they left the old colonial ruins and incorporate it with modern structures.

Vintagepipes:

It seems you do not know that most of them have the IQ of a fish. In European countries, they keep these structures as "Monumental heritage". These buildings are maintained in line with the original building's standards and materials. That is why they still have churches that are 500-700 years old and still look great even today.
I see the points you are trying to make in the video, and they are very informed.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Originalsly: 4:50pm On Dec 30, 2020
BreconHills:

The buildings abandoned here do not match 19th century colonial architecture. They must have been built much later. It is likely that the historic buildings are long gone and these more modern dilapidated ones are being used as placeholders.

OP did very well to cover this . I do agree this is not the original school because of the architecture ... and more so... the use of concrete. Badagry should be an international tourist destination.... but as we can see from the many comments... we prefer not to preserve our historical sites. The building is not original... any original part should be preserved but most importantly the actual site should be and a building closely resembling the original one should be erected on the site. Ghana earns millions each year from international visitors visiting the slave port which they preserved as much as possible... what did we do with our bigger and more famous one in Badagry? Such a shame.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by 2016easy2017: 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2020
personal59:
this one deep o
Plz don't include Yaradua. He was gonna do things but death. During his tenure, we enjoyed 24 hrs electronically
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Coinbased: 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2020
Really
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Nkwobi042: 5:30pm On Dec 30, 2020
brownemmanuel43:
This was even before partitioning of Africa in Berlin

We r looking for companies n cooperative societies that want to buy n share RICE for their staffs this season.

50Kg bag is 22,500

Min order: 5 bags

What of Ofada 50kg,destoned?
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Naijaepic: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2020
My question, was the structure still in use for learning? If yes, then something is wrong. However, if not in use, then how would you point out to or show upcoming generations the structure of oldest school in Nigeria if it was demolished to pave way a new structure.

To me, the structure might be kept for historical reason.

travelwaka:
I guess you didn't watch the video. It showes both the modern building and the old one. The focus was not on the new school but the first primary school which was the one in question. Hope your understand

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by brownemmanuel43(m): 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2020
Nkwobi042:

What of Ofada 50kg,destoned?
Not available sir

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 6:05pm On Dec 30, 2020
You must have misunderstood me, the structure is currently not in use. It is abandoned, they have a better structure on ground for education. However since this is the first. I felt it should be maintained such that it can be converted into a museum or tourist centre where people can visit . I'm not asking for it to be demolished , I am great saying If the reason why they left it that way was to keep it in its ancient state, they can make it look presentable

Naijaepic:
My question, was the structure still in use for learning? If yes, then something is wrong. However, if not in use, then how would you point out to or show upcoming generations the structure of oldest school in Nigeria if it was demolished to pave way a new structure.

To me, the structure might be kept for historical reason.

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by cenaman(m): 6:16pm On Dec 30, 2020
viyon02:
Op some of your information is not correct, since am very close to the area mention, we have modern buildings in the school and the school is not totally abandon the way you paint the picture. Moreso, the school is in main Badagry not Topo( as against your spelling Tapo)
In a saner country these buildings will be renovated and turn into a tourist center. But in Nigeria negligence is the order of the day.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by viyon02: 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
cenaman:
In a saner country these buildings will be renovated and turn into a tourist center. But in Nigeria negligence is the order of the day.
you are right bro.

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by theFilmtric: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2020
kingxsamz:
‎‎‎
lipsrsealed
theFilmtricsay
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by hotseat: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2020
The Lagos State Ministry of Education should do all it can to preserve this monument.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by showafrica(m): 7:10pm On Dec 30, 2020
travelwaka:
Lalasticlala what do you think? we need to cherish and maintain our tourist centres

Lack of ownership... Nigeria is no mans land... So everybody is grabbing the much he can before the burst.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 7:19pm On Dec 30, 2020
It's quite sad

showafrica:

Lack of ownership... Nigeria is no mans land... So everybody is grabbing the much he can before the burst.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by emperor863(m): 7:53pm On Dec 30, 2020
Hopez456:
Op did you visit the school?
The pictures you shared are those of abandoned buildings that are no more in use. There are other modern buildings, I have been to this school it is not in Topo but Badagry township.

If you know, you know. That is sensationalism for you. Just like the Lekki massacre". All those familiar with the school knows that there are modern buildings in the compound and they are keeping this building for historical purpose. Nobody uses the blocks of classrooms.

From the way Topo was spelt as Tapo, ..................... economic refugee.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Tintinnoty(m): 7:58pm On Dec 30, 2020
Wow, you smell all Badagry. From your moniker to how you correct the op. You be comfirm ègún boy.
viyon02:
Op some of your information is not correct, since am very close to the area mention, we have modern buildings in the school and the school is not totally abandon the way you paint the picture. Moreso, the school is in main Badagry not Topo( as against your spelling Tapo)
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by babaowambe: 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2020
Goal post is far better than the building
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by chaloskyx: 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2020
its very okay by Nigerian government standard i dont know what you are complaining about even the entity Nigeria is an eye sore
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Fvckhypocrite(f): 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2020
Exc2000:
cool

It took 100 years after Yorubas got western education before any region other region had it

source? Or reference
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by MemoriesAndMe: 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2020
Demogorgon:
What a myopic and dumb post. Gosh!! Jerusalem wouldn't be a place of tourist attraction if the leaders there reason like this... A place, a building can be renovated to modern standard and not lose its historical touch and feel.
Rather I think you are the dumb one for reasoning like a retard. There is the first of everything everywhere. What do you expect the government to do to the first primary school in Nigeria beyond building a better and befitting one which is already done? Convert the old one to a mansion?
What happens to the first of other things? The government should make the first well in Nigeria the deepest well in the world?
In your tiny head, the first storey building in Nigeria should be converted to a skyscraper, right?
So who is myopic and lacks a sense of reasoning between me and you? Have you even converted the first road in your hometown to a highway? Damn retard.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Exc2000: 8:35pm On Dec 30, 2020
Fvckhypocrite:
source? Or reference

Simple mathematics first SouthWEST school western school CMS is founded in 1843 177

Prove me wrong if any school anywhere , any region is older than 100 years
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Fvckhypocrite(f): 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2020
Exc2000:

Simple mathematics first SouthWEST school western school CMS is founded in 1843 177

Prove me wrong if any school anywhere , any region is older than 100 years
agreed
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by mechanics(m): 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2020
The authorities know why they didn't destroy the old building, maybe for future reference purpose.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2020
travelwaka:
If they don't maintain it in few years time it will become a ruin and it's past glory all lost. They can at least cover the roofs , leave it the way it is without painting it. So that people can appreciate it's ancient beauty.

Do you know that any roof work done on that building could make the whole thing collapse
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Rosskivvyy: 10:57pm On Dec 30, 2020
ANYTHING TO CRITICISE NIGERIA.

OP, YOU BE REAL MUMU.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Rosskivvyy: 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2020
travelwaka:
Thank you, I am wondering why everyone is coming for me. I have posted over 30 posts here and not a single bad review. My job is to promote tourism in Nigeria and not to kill it, but this is an eyesore. With less than a million naira this building will undergo a facelift just like Freedom park , they left the old colonial ruins and incorporate it with modern structures.

If you people cared half as much about preserving your precolonial African artefacts and monuments, as you do about preserving colonial structures, Nigeria would have been a bigger tourist haven than Egypt.

Rubbish.

You're not even ashamed you're crying to preserve some wretched little colonial school.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 11:14pm On Dec 30, 2020
Thanks you are right, some of us are not ashamed, we just travel the best destinations and ignore all negativity. grin

Hanhan I wasn't crying now. I'm here here sipping pina colada in a 2 star low budget hotel grin grin grin.

Rosskivvyy:

If you people cared half as much about preserving your precolonial African artefacts and monuments, as you do about preserving colonial structures, Nigeria would have been a bigger tourist haven than Egypt.

Rubbish.

You're not even ashamed you're crying to preserve some wreched little colonial school.

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 11:30pm On Dec 30, 2020
Thanks you are right, some of us are not ashamed, we just travel the best destinations and ignore all negativity. grin

Hanhan I wasn't crying now. I'm here here sipping pina colada in a 2 star low budget hotel grin grin grin.

I pray you'd have the resources and time to travel and see the world for yourself. There is a beautiful world that is bigger than typing on the phone

Some things will be clearer , you probably think I'm trying to paint the government bad. If I wanted to , I will show pictures of the Badagry road, the abandoned jetty at the point of no return , the incompleted projects at the point of no return etc .

Some of us are not religious , ethnic or political bigots. I am not blogging for traffic I am blogging to promote tourism. Kindly check out my old post for better understanding

Rosskivvyy:

Rubbish.

You're not even ashamed you're crying to preserve some wreched little colonial school.

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Litmus: 11:53pm On Dec 30, 2020
travelwaka:
This is the first primary school in Nigeria. The cradle of education in Nigeria.

Its however sad that it has been left unattended to. I do not like posting negative reviews but this is sad. It would cost almost nothing to maintain these buildings.

Anyways What do you think about the first primary school in Nigeria. It was built in 1843 as the Nursery of Infant School which was later renamed as St. Thomas Anglican Nursery and primary school by Rev. Golmer of the Church Missionary Society (CMS).

It is a missionary school and is still in existence till date.

However it has a new and modern building attached but why would they leave the old building to rot away?

What do you think?

https://www.travelwaka.com/history-of-the-first-primary-school-in-nigeria/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNf-0lUTs4

Op my guess is that the old school is being maintained. I say this because your vid showed newer school buildings. Since the old school blocks were left and their parameters swept, this suggests maintenance of a kind going on. See, in order to keep the old school authentic and of historic interest, they have to preserve as much of the old structure and building material as they are able or else we would be left with a bit of a Triggers Broom paradox. See Triggers Broom below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY

In short, if they fixed the roof, redid the walls, put doors and windows you will end up with new school buildings not a historic artifact of a school.
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by Nobody: 1:38am On Dec 31, 2020
Make I no talk weytin dey my mind

You see,,,, travelwaka
That building is left for some reasons & one of those reasons brought you around.

It wouldn't have caught your attention if it's reshaped/modernized ,,, you hear
Re: The Pathetic State Of The First Primary School In Nigeria -video by travelwaka: 9:49am On Dec 31, 2020
It's sad most people are not getting my point.

If they leave it that way in few years it will collapse. I'm not asking them to rebuild it. Ask I am saying is for it to be properly maintained. Dutch that it can last longer.

SimplyFacts:
Make I no talk weytin dey my mind

You see,,,, travelwaka
That building is left for some reasons & one of those reasons brought you around.

It wouldn't have caught your attention if it's reshaped/modernized ,,, you hear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between "AM" And "I'M" / Is Adeleke University, Ede The Most Beautiful Private University In Nigeria? / Funny!!-- See What This Lecturer Did Inside The Classroom - AIFCE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.