Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,329 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Tithing: An Interesting Article - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing: An Interesting Article (3775 Views)

An interesting story of a one way journey,a life jacket and a river.A must read / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Can You Suspend Tithing To Pay Off Your Debts? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithing: An Interesting Article by superde: 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2011
Some interestiing and thought provoking read up on tithing---- Enjoy.

See link or copy link into your browser:

http://www.providentplan.com/977/tithing-in-the-bible-summary/
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by KunleOshob(m): 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2011
I am really glad more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth about this false teaching that has gained so much prominence in our churches for the sake of greed.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 6:02pm On Mar 29, 2011
You people just want to kill Joagbaje totally. smiley
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by KunleOshob(m): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2011
Nope we don't want to kill joagbaje, we just want him to repent and serve God selflessly and not for filthy gain as he is currently doing.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 7:19pm On Mar 29, 2011
It's only the deceived that keep circulating deception among themselves .it can not get the attention of those who hold the truth. The memory And experience of miracles that tithing brings to our lives are undiputable. Human theories can't just take that away.

But where is it in the bible that the priest were not the one collecting the tithe but the levite? Can someone help me out. .
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 7:55pm On Mar 29, 2011
^^ Yes, its only the deceived AND liars/thieves that keep circulating deception and you are amongst them. All that any sensible human being needs to do is to ask himself why "pastors" like you insist that tithing is the way to prosperity YET none of you can point to 1 single tither amongst the 500 richest people on earth.

Why are non-tithers the wealthiest men in the world if you are telling the truth?

See, its so easy to see who it is that is the deceived and the liars and who is telling the truth.

People who wish to prosper plan, work, follow sound rules of fiscal judgment and leave the rest to God. People "bribing" God are liars who follow Him only for personal gain. They are like the crowd who welcomed Jesus as King to Jerusalem when they thought He came to establish an earthly kingdom and save them from the Romans BUT who howled for His death 3 days later when He didn't do what they wanted.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 9:00pm On Mar 29, 2011
Spend more time on your bible dude , it will save you some of your biblical goofing. The Christians are not in competition with the world in wealth acquisition.they have an end. We are in the era that is called "the times of the Gentiles" biblically. A short time open for Gentiles to come into Gods kingdom. We Christians put our resources together to reach the world for Jesus in tens thousands and millions. Christian wealth is not for chop chop. We touch lives . So we are not competing with bill gate. Where is Micheal Jackson money today? If you know your bible you should be more concerned about bill gate getting born again than making a hero out of him.

Psalms 73:3
3 For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

Read the rest of that chapter and see their end. Where is Jackson today and all the money? You glory in natural men I laugh. grin
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 9:33pm On Mar 29, 2011
Hmmmn, Interesting read indeed. Who is the author?

'Paul Williams is a fee-only CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional in Lancaster, PA. He has a passion for teaching others about personal finance - especially from a Christian perspective. If you'd like to learn about his financial planning and tax preparation services.'

Seems your ears are really itching to hear what is 'logical' to you.

1. 'Malachi 3:10-11
10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.'

[b]I though someone said on one of the threads that this scripture was directed to the Priests? If priests are not meant to work but serve at the temple, what time did they have to get crops from the ground for this scripture to even come about?

2. Luke 18:12-14
12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess
13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his bosom, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted

Where did Christ condemn the act here? This Pharisee gave tithes of all he possessed and fasted but with pius and religious intentions not of Christ. Anyone that discredits tithe here is also discrediting fasting since Christ was talking about the heart in which this was done and not the act.

Also, since Christ said in Matthew 23:23:[/b]

3. 23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

I really do not know what the issue is here.

4. Matthew 5:20:For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The Pharisees had self righteousness, Christ desires us to be righteous by faith, therefore, let our works be backed by faith and we should not work by works alone.

Can someone please explain what Paul was getting at in the scriptures below?

1. 2 Corinthians 11:8-10
8I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.

9And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied:
and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.

Since you  do not assist in the work of the ministry, others are and are getting blessed. Wonder why you are getting traumatised over this.

2. 1 Corinthians 9:11-14
11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?
   But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Which scripture did you think Paul got the commandment from the Lord that those that preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel? And it was a right?!

Since a host of the 'things' given in the OT were offerings for atonement and all, which have been abolished because Christ has died and there is no need for such atonements, what are the other 'things' of the altar (as in the old testament) that those that preach the gospel have a right to?
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 9:39pm On Mar 29, 2011
[size=18pt]GBAM![/size]
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:01pm On Mar 29, 2011
Oh and something else to add, the victims of Japan tsunami need your help, rather than sit shouting yourselves hoarse over tithing, could we please contribute to help our brethren who are in great need at this time.
An appeal fund was launched in my office for contributions and so many other organisations are also open to assist like the Red Cross.
It will be nice if we can for once channel our energies to helping those around us.
Thanks.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 10:24am On Mar 30, 2011
@Snowwy:

Nice to see an intelligent discussant on the other side for a change. Most of them especially the "GBAMs" show little if any brains and are only about cash.

But you are using your intelligence wrongly. The point remains that you cannot select only tithes from the Mosaic law and neglect all other matters.

You have said above that the priests did not work and so the law could not have come about to them. Who's arguing about whether they worked or not? Point is - this was a mosaic law which ended when the old priesthood was abolished. Another way to look at it is EVERY CHRISTIAN IS NOW A PRIEST AND JESUS SAID NONE IS HIGHER. IF you believe Jesus is truthful, then please show us Biblically how a PRIEST is supposed to pay tithe to another priest.

This is not rocket science or aeronautics
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by blacksta(m): 10:32am On Mar 30, 2011
Serious

so where does the scripture that states " let everyman decide within his heart an amount and give cheerfully " stand.

as the above contradicts tithing.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:43am On Mar 30, 2011
nuclearboy:

@Snowwy:

Nice to see an intelligent discussant on the other side for a change. Most of them especially the "GBAMs" show little if any brains and are only about cash.

But you are using your intelligence wrongly. The point remains that you cannot select only tithes from the Mosaic law and neglect all other matters.

You have said above that the priests did not work and so the law could not have come about to them. Who's arguing about whether they worked or not? Point is - this was a mosaic law which ended when the old priesthood was abolished. Another way to look at it is EVERY CHRISTIAN IS NOW A PRIEST AND JESUS SAID NONE IS HIGHER. IF you believe Jesus is truthful, then please show us Biblically how a PRIEST is supposed to pay tithe to another priest.

This is not rocket science or aeronautics

1. Could you explain how I am using 'my intelligence wrongly' first? You need to make factual statements. All I did was emphasize the word, how is that 'my intelligence'

2. The old priesthood ended as you said but how did it affect 'tithe and offerings'? I sincerely wonder why you have nothing against offerings as it was in the mosaic era too. Just as tithes predate the mosaic law (Abraham's and Jacob's), offerings too predate the mosaic law (Cain and Abel's offering to God to thank Him for their yield). Both gave 'freely', yet God honoured Abel's only. Why? reason is not far fetched. So if you want to give, do it with thanks and by faith. Simple.

3. Yes we are all priests if we step into that position and Christ is the High Priest.
In the time of Moses, only the Levites could serve at the altar as priests, now we all have a right to the priestly office. May be that is why we see a lot of people who call themselves in that light. That is my conviction of us being a royal priesthood and what Paul meant when he called us priests with Christ. He also spoke about giving honour to whom honour was due, giving double honour to those who labour well in Christ vineyard, his being a spiritual father to Timothy etc. There is equality of course, but spiritual growth is also necessary.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 10:56am On Mar 30, 2011
blacksta:

Serious

so where does the scripture that states " let everyman decide within his heart an amount and give cheerfully " stand.

as the above contradicts tithing.

Hi blacksta,
You quoted 2 Corinthians 9:7 but you skipped the prior verses 5 & 6 though:

2 Corinthians 9:5-7 (King James Version)

5Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.

6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. [b][/b]

7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

It is not contradictory. Spiritual discernment is necessary and not the legalistic study of the bible as the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Zikkyy(m): 1:49pm On Mar 30, 2011
Snowwy:

Hi blacksta,
You quoted 2 Corinthians 9:7 but you skipped the prior verses 5 & 6 though:

2 Corinthians 9:5-7 (King James Version)

5Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.

6But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. [b][/b]

7Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

It is not contradictory. Spiritual discernment is necessary and not the legalistic study of the bible as the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.

There is nothing wrong with blacksta’s post. Verse 5&6 is not saying anything different. Sorry to say this, but Nuke was right, you are using your intelligence wrongly smiley
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 1:51pm On Mar 30, 2011
Snowwy:

1. Could you explain how I am using 'my intelligence wrongly' first? You need to make factual statements. All I did was emphasize the word, how is that 'my intelligence'

2. The old priesthood ended as you said but how did it affect 'tithe and offerings'? I sincerely wonder why you have nothing against offerings as it was in the mosaic era too. Just as tithes predate the mosaic law (Abraham's and Jacob's), offerings too predate the mosaic law (Cain and Abel's offering to God to thank Him for their yield). Both gave 'freely', yet God honoured Abel's only. Why? reason is not far fetched. So if you want to give, do it with thanks and by faith. Simple.

3. Yes [size=18pt]we are all priests if we step into that position[/size] and Christ is the High Priest.
In the time of Moses, only the Levites could serve at the altar as priests, now we all have a right to the priestly office. May be that is why we see a lot of people who call themselves in that light. That is my conviction of us being a royal priesthood and what Paul meant when he called us priests with Christ. He also spoke about giving honour to whom honour was due, giving double honour to those who labour well in Christ vineyard, his being a spiritual father to Timothy etc. There is equality of course, but spiritual growth is also necessary.

@Snowwy:

Thank you for proving my point about deliberate wrong usage of intellect! The Bible says believers are (already) a Royal Priesthood BUT YOU SAY "that is IF" we step into it. Where do you find that or is that again your own intellect? That your statement ADDS to Gods' Word and comes with a curse. That is a FACTUAL statement! The Bible says "A Royal Priesthood", not "will be a Royal priesthood if we all step into it and become pastors" - the Word is even clear about people having varying roles to fulfill so all cannot be pastors or prophets or evangelists. Some MUST be care-providers/etc and once they do that, they have fulfilled their God-given roles.

Secondly, you speak of tithes predating the Mosaic LAW. Na wa O - this dead and buried argument again? Okay, answer this - Abrahams' Tithe, as an example - was it a LAW? Jacobs promise to give a tenth - was it a LAW? So how did they become LAWS before the Mosaic Law since they were NOT laws but personal decisions? Can you show where God asked for these or show two instances of either Abraham paying it or Jacob paying it? Which would suppose that if we are following Abraham, we'd pay tithe ONCE ONLY and NOT from our income but from warfare and if we are following Jacob, we'll promise that if God makes us Billionaires (or whatever else we want), we'll give Him a tenth. But can you even show Jacob paying even the one he promised? Yet you deliberately avoid full disclosure and sneak these in as though they were laws - that is wrong intellect usuage and is why Jesus wads angry at those who turned truth on its head. But lets worsen your case for you.

CAIN and ABEL gave burnt offerings BEFORE the law. UNDER the law, God ordered for burnt offerings also. THEREFORE, burnt offerings have the same Biblical power/history/backing that you claim tithes have. So when last did you offer a burnt offering? Can we come see your altar? WHY is it only the one that puts money in some pockets and offers "hope" and an alternative gospel to others, that your supposed MOGs insist is backed by scripture?

We have gotten (hopefully) to a point where we seek truth and not just to win arguments by hook or crook. Meet people in other sections to try your intellect out - here, it should be humility and a search for truth, not a childish desire to win by hook or crook.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 3:02pm On Mar 30, 2011
@Zikkyy,
Well sorry to say, I quoted the scriptures as well as those in the previous posts (if you can only scroll up and see it yourself) which you have nothing to say against, so if you say the biblical 'intelligence' is wrong, then na you talk am o.

@ nuclearboy,
If my saying that you need to 'step' into being a priest as Paul said in the royal priesthood is wrong, then sorry. Since you cannot comprehend and discern my simple English. Christ made us priests but if you are an unbeliever, can you be a priest? If you do not know that you are a priest in Christ, have you 'stepped' into 'it'.

That is my meaning of 'stepping into it'. We all know that athiest and unbelievers attend this thread and even many belivers do not know their position in Christ. Hence, my saying 'stepping into it'. I never mentioned pastors in my thread, where did you get that from? It could be any of the five-fold ministry ok?

As I said to Zikky above, my 'intelligence' was from scriptural references, which you cannot fault. If you have anything to say, back it up biblically.

You seem to  have joined the league of those that are now stating a curse is applied to something! Yet you throw a fit when the scriptures show you God's word and where curses apply.
Read what I posted now and tell me where I added to the bible. Hmmmn, you seem to be so hasty now to use curse.

Who is trying to win an argument by hook or crook? Me or you that has resorted to saying its a curse to add to God's word even when I didn't? shocked
Check all my posts now? Did you see anywhere were I threatened anyone with curse?
You do not understand or comprehend but you say I add to the word of God even while quoting from the bible.
I laugh!
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 3:14pm On Mar 30, 2011
^^ Dude, you are arguing my point for me!

Christians ARE a Royal Priesthood, a Holy Nation dedicated to God. Christians, NOT unbelievers. And Christians ARE people who have stepped into it simply by being Christians. So what are you talking about? Who said unbelievers are a royal priesthood?

Now, IF the Bible is true and ALL Christians are Priests, then my point is made! Please show us then where Priests paid other Priests a tithe? But that is not in the Bible, is it? So suddenly, your argument falls short EXCEPT if you now insist (against the Bible) that only pastors are "priests" when the Bible is clear - All Believers are Priests and ONLY Jesus is Higher - He is the HIGH Priest!

Or are you saying that Priests (ALL Christians) are supposed to collect tithes from those who are NOT priests (Christians). If so, then what I guess you are about is that Joagbaje and pastor chris have a right to collect tithes from their congregations because they are Christians (doubtful) whist the congregation is made up of non-priests (Christians)?

Is that your argument? Smell the bacon, friend - truth is come to stay on NairaLand now!
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 3:18pm On Mar 30, 2011
Your curse theses, by the way, is more than funny. It is a misplaced inane attempt to create white-space. Fits, etc are childish - face the issue.

Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 3:26pm On Mar 30, 2011
nuclearboy:

Your curse theses, by the way, is more than funny. It is a misplaced inane attempt to create white-space. Fits, etc are childish - face the issue.

You are the only one acting childish, sorry, and cannot have a civil conversation. Just shows its useless 'conversing' with you.
From my responses, you have no scripture to counter it, so as usual, it is seemingly useless having a discussion with you.
Go ahead and follow the 'fee-only' certified financial planner which you seem happy to. Wish you well.
Cheers.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 3:33pm On Mar 30, 2011
^ Yep, run away. We see all of you run away daily and that is why your leaders cannot face society but avoid interviews and real people.

But the truth is --

EVERY CHRISTIAN IS A PRIEST

PRIESTS DO NOT PAY TITHES ANYWHERE IN THE BIBLE

ERGO, ANYONE ASKING PRIESTS TO PAY TITHES IS GAINING FROM IT OR SELLING AN ALTERNATIVE GOSPEL

BURNT OFFERINGS STARTED WITH CAIN AND ABEL (BEFORE ABRAHAM PAID HIS ONE TITHE)

BURNT OFFERINGS WERE ALSO REQUIRED UNDER THE LAW JUST AS TITHES

THEREFORE, BURNT OFFERINGS HAVE THE EXACT SAME STATUS AS TITHES

JESUS CHRIST NAILED BURNT OFFERINGS (AND THEREFORE TITHES) TO THE CROSS!

YOU HAVE "CANCELED" BURNT OFFERING. WHY ARE YOU THEN SELLING TITHES?

TRUTH CANNOT BE HIDDEN AND IT IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOTHING MORE TO SAY THAT YOU RUN. CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND YOU!
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 3:39pm On Mar 30, 2011
grin
Sorry that is your own logical opinion.
I didn't say I was running away. I said it's useless having a civil discussion with you. Get it?! That's where i see you add to what I didn't say.
You have no point, period.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 3:43pm On Mar 30, 2011
Did your Nanny tie your nappy too tight or what is all this whining and wailing about?

Now it becomes even more childish and personal. Logic? Fine - pleased keep being illogical or use what I thought was intellect and negate the following.

EVERY CHRISTIAN IS A PRIEST

PRIESTS DO NOT PAY TITHES ANYWHERE IN THE BIBLE

ERGO, ANYONE ASKING PRIESTS TO PAY TITHES IS GAINING FROM IT OR SELLING AN ALTERNATIVE GOSPEL

BURNT OFFERINGS STARTED WITH CAIN AND ABEL (BEFORE ABRAHAM PAID HIS ONE TITHE)

BURNT OFFERINGS WERE ALSO REQUIRED UNDER THE LAW JUST AS TITHES

THEREFORE, BURNT OFFERINGS HAVE THE EXACT SAME STATUS AS TITHES

JESUS CHRIST NAILED BURNT OFFERINGS (AND THEREFORE TITHES) TO THE CROSS!

YOU HAVE "CANCELED" BURNT OFFERING. WHY ARE YOU THEN SELLING TITHES?

Negate any of the points above or go get someone to change your diapers!
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by blacksta(m): 3:58pm On Mar 30, 2011
Interesting so far

My take on this so far - If you want to carry out the law - why choose some and not others

May God continue to enlighten us all
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 4:07pm On Mar 30, 2011
@blacksta,
Amen o.
It's only God that can enlighten us from His word. Reading the books of Paul will explain 'the law' in detail.

one is:
1 Cor. 9:21:

When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law, I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ.

Would have explained but need to be somewhere. Cheers.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by nuclearboy(m): 4:25pm On Mar 30, 2011
@Blacksta:

Thank you and God bless you! Great valid question there! smiley

Why do the supposed MOGs choose the "law" that brings cash into THEIR ministries alone? Why is it the money cometh "laws" which offer only earthly rewards that the congregations choose and dwell upon non-stop? Why not choose the ones they cannot gain from like "burnt offerings" or "giving to the needy"?

Why do they show up, paste this "poison" then jump to say "you're insulting and uncivil" when challenged? Why do I have the nerve, the temerity to challenge ANY HUMAN on this issue but the leaders, the big men, the supposed MOGs (an aberration when you remember ALL Christians are Royal Priests of equal standing [but different calling] before God) cannot show their faces - they have to send junior unimportant pastors and floor members to defend their lies all in the name of doing God's Work? Why? What are they afraid of when we are the ones who know nothing but can bring scripture to bear on the issues at hand?

If you decide PERSONALLY to give 10%, 25% or even 100% of your income to your Church or a ministry, FINE! But any man selling percentages as God's Command is a thief and hypocrite except if burnt offerings are part of his ministry
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by ogajim(m): 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 6:31am On Mar 31, 2011
@blacksta,
Good morning.
So before we go forward, what are the things in 'the law' which have been chosen to do while others have not been chosen?

Burnt offerings? They were not carried over as seen below:

Hebrews 10:1-14
1 The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.
2 If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins.
3 But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins,
4 because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased.
[/color]
7 Then I said, 'Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll-- I have come to do your will, O God.' "
8 First he said, "Sacrifices and offerings, [color=#990000]burnt offerings
and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them" (although the law required them to be made).[/color]
9 Then he said, "Here I am, I have come to do your will." He sets aside the first to establish the second.
10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
12 But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God.
13 Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool,
14 because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.[color=#990000]

This is not the same as tithe and nowhere is its stated in the scripture above i.e the ten percent meant to support those that preach the gospel. Anybody therefore saying that tithe and burnt offerings are the same is in error and is adding to what is not stated in the bible. (Well, except he can prove it by scripture). We still have to give to the poor and needy. Nowhere does tithing negate other givings.

Beyond that, there is nowhere in the new testament that you can see the acceptance of burnt offerings. However, we see tithes mentioned. Though, in all things faith is very key and living in righteouness by Christ help too.

If there is any other thing 'chosen from the law' which is practiced, you can mention please.
The bible is complete. I don't know all but the word will be revelaed to us by the Spirit.

Aside all this, no one has said anything about helping the Japanese victims? I thought at least this would be a means to help the poor and the needy especially since that is part of giving too.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Snowwy: 6:49am On Mar 31, 2011
Something I read on the laws of God (as relates to the topic too). Excerpt below:

Let's look briefly at some biblical commands. "You shall not murder," the Ten Commandments tell us (Exodus 20:13). Jesus interpreted this literally and symbolically. This commandment forbids not only murder but also hatred (Matthew 5:21-22). If we insist only on a literal meaning, we miss the more important spiritual intent.

God's laws are not arbitrary rules. They are based on spiritual principles. We should keep the laws of God not with arbitrary exactness, but accordance to the spiritual intent.

"Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain," Deuteronomy 25:4 tells us. The literal meaning is sensible — it is based on a good principle. Paul applied this verse — in principle, not in letter — to human workers, including those who preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 9:7-12: 1 Timothy 5:17-18).

Sometimes we find that the principle may be applied in the same way. Sometimes we obey both in the letter and according to the principle, sometimes in principle only, when the literal is obsolete.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2011
@Snowwy.

Snowwy:

God's laws are not arbitrary rules. They are based on spiritual principles. We should keep the laws of God not with arbitrary exactness, but accordance to the spiritual intent.

Sometimes we find that the principle may be applied in the same way. Sometimes we obey both in the letter and according to the principle, sometimes in principle only, when the literal is obsolete.

Thats true snowwy. and the principles of God are eternal.they transcends dispensations. if a man doesnt understand this , he will be dealing with letters than the life principles.
Lets look at Firstfruits For example, israelites gave firstfruit to commemorate their deliverance from egypt etc and show appreciation to God. Someone that may not understand the principle behind it will say "why do christians give first fruits. were they slaves in Egypt"? But the forgot that Abel was the first person to give first fruit by faith.And for a different reason. he was not a slave in Egypt either. it is the principle that counts not the petty protocols. the same thing goes for tithe.

The petty details God gave the israelites were for them. Tithing had been instituted before the law. So judging the Christian tithing by the Standard of the law is faulty. that is letters, not spirit. This things are based on principles of faith. we dont need to criticise one another here. if i believe in this principles because they work for me and you dont believe,its not a problem. there shouldnt be abuses over what another believe.

Romans 14:5-6
5 . .  Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Those who believe in tithing are convinced it's working for them . They don't have to be persecuted for it.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by SirJohn(m): 8:58am On Mar 31, 2011
Joagbaje:

@Snowwy.

Thats true snowwy. and the principles of God are eternal.they transcends dispensations. if a man doesnt understand this , he will be dealing with letters than the life principles.
Lets look at Firstfruits For example, israelites gave firstfruit to commemorate their deliverance from egypt etc and show appreciation to God. Someone that may not understand the principle behind it will say "why do christians give first fruits. were they slaves in Egypt"? But the forgot that Abel was the first person to give first fruit by faith.And for a different reason. he was not a slave in Egypt either. it is the principle that counts not the petty protocols. the same thing goes for tithe.

The petty details God gave the israelites were for them. Tithing had been instituted before the law. So judging the Christian tithing by the Standard of the law is faulty. that is letters, not spirit. This things are based on principles of faith. we dont need to criticise one another here. if i believe in this principles because they work for me and you dont believe,its not a problem. there shouldnt be abuses over what another believe.

Romans 14:5-6
5 . .  Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Those who believe in tithing are convinced it's working for them . They don't have to be persecuted for it.

Thats on a lighter note Jo, but you and I know that it goes way further beyond this. Firstly, you say tithing was 'instituted' before the law, can you please provide evidence for this?
What you must understand is that none of us against the 'law of tithing' think it is a crime to tithe, we only say it is not mandatory or compulsory for the new testament christian. Anyone like Abraham or Jacob can of their own will and at their own time decide to give a tenth, a fifth or even all of what they earn to the church, a pastor or even the less privileged this is acceptable. But when folks come here and say we are thieves for not paying tithes or that we will not be blessed by God, it will definitely provoke a reaction. its always convenient for you to play victim all the time but there are countless number of times when either you or your allies have called us greedy, stingy, thieves etc because we would not bow to a lie.
Re: Tithing: An Interesting Article by Joagbaje(m): 9:06am On Mar 31, 2011
SirJohn:

there are countless number of times when either you or your allies have called us greedy, stingy, thieves etc because we would not bow to a lie.

It was only in response I agree I had to respond to some people according to their offensive words and insults. But it didn't gel with my spirit. I had to stop. Truth cant be communicated by strife. It is flesh. I repented tey tey.

And I should add by asking why you and your allies get into abusive words instead of presenting cases in a civic manner.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I am an Atheist ask me any questions. / A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine And Mormon Doctrine / Open Letter To Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.