Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (64803 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by jpphilips(m): 6:56am On Jul 28, 2015
1Emmy:
I equall had my very bad experience in contonou.
I was very patient looking for a clean title RX 330. I saw this car @2. 7m in the North. But I decided to come to Lagos if I can get it cheaper. But all I saw in Lagos even at Berger are all accidental. Later I got one in Berger the owner assured me that it was accident free. We agreed at 2. 6m. I checked the vin on free site it didt not show any accident. I made deposit and later decided to check with premium account low and behold the car was accidental and was badly damaged both front and back. (Mind you all were fixed)
I pleated with the man to change the vehicle for me as I don't want accidental car because previous exp. He agreed, and we settle for cotonou.
Welcome to cotonou.
He handed me over to an agent. The agent assisted me in searching for a vehicle. We did not see a clean RX330 as the car is one of the hottest and most sold car in cotonou. In fact the agent got tired when we searched all th parks without seeing up to 5 rx330. The ones we saw were in bad condition.
Later I saw RX350 2007 that was very clean. The same shape with 330 2005 model, but different engine and price.
I went home later I told the man to rrfund me since he cant get me a clean title vehicle.which he did.
So i met this cotonou agent here in nairaland, explained everything to him. He promised to help. He said there are millions of RX 330 in cotonou. I ask him to just get me only one. He came back in the evening and told me he was surprise that the car is scarce. Hahaha
I told him about the 350. He went there and renegotiated with the dealer and Settled @2. 7 without duties.
But the agent lied to me. The Car has boot error which the dealer promised to fix any time we make deposit. I gave the guy the money and he vanish into air came to tell that he made the payment. Asked him if he confirm that the boot is opening he said yes. But that was a lie and little compare to other things.

He and his gangs delay the process till around evening I was deceived waiting for them at bother as Nigerians do not drive vehicles to border. The agent and I left and came down to bother where we started processing the Nigeria duty papers and the at the end I end up paying
N3.313m, for the vehicle. My God I wished the my problem stopped there.
The Car got to me around 10. 30pm in my hotel. at that point, i discoverd that all the catalytic converter has been stolen. The boot was not fixes. When I asked the agent why the car sudden changed sound, said several things to cover up.
I had several bad experience in continuo which writing all will take a full book. Beginning from wrong agent to cotonou rubbers called custom officers.
I decided to move on but my greatest changes now is that my car exhaust white smoke which a mechanic said it results from a cylinder and crankshaft burnt due to absense of catalytic converter over a period of time.
Secondly several efforts to fix the power boot has not been successful. I regret going to cotonou. Worse of it all, knowing that agent who has put me in all these. Things would have been better if the agent is honest and sincere.

from your story, cotonou was not the problem, the agent was.
The time it took them to bring the car to your hotel was the period they removed your cat.
You are like a man who was robbed of his phone, instead of blaming the theives, you are blaming yourself for using an expensive phone.

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Exceptionalkeil(m): 6:58pm On Oct 13, 2015
please i am about buying a rx 300 from a benenoise friend of mine who bought d car last year... the car is registered and been used in cotonou he brought d car to lagos with a lesse passe. last year..

Now my question is.... do i have to pay custom duty for this car just like the once bought from d parks or not ? how much can i get it cleared..

Email: adekeilezekiel@gmail.com
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2015
Exceptionalkeil:
please i am about buying a rx 300 from a benenoise friend of mine who bought d car last year... the car is registered and been used in cotonou he brought d car to lagos with a lesse passe. last year..

Now my question is.... do i have to pay custom duty for this car just like the once bought from d parks or not ? how much can i get it cleared..

Email: adekeilezekiel@gmail.com
m

YOU'VE two options sir and they are as follows -

1. You've to process DUTY papers because the vehicle was not used in or licensed in Nigeria,the moment you decide to switch registration plates to a Nigerian number,you will need a DUTY paper to back it up,immediately you start using a Nigerian number without papers,it becomes a smuggled vehicle.

2. You can continue using the Benin plates with international papers and also use international drivers license too.

For your DUTY papers,kindly check my signature,thanks.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by DOOSNAS(m): 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2015
century106:
Thanks for sharing your experience... Tonight marks my fourth sleepless night since I was cajoled into buying a car from Cotonou. I went to Cotonou last week but to my dismay I found out that things are not the same, but I did bought the car all the same because I saw an amazing clean ride there, I was also made to pay some extra money for custom clearing and was told to keep some amount down to pay the driver that will bring the car to Lagos... When I got back to Lagos and went straight to different auto shops to price same car and I discovered the difference in price is just N25,000 to N35,000, if my problems ended there, the small price difference would have been a consolation. My sleepless night started on Monday when the agent called asking me to keep his payment for accompanying me to Cotonou, this new development didn't shake me as it just cancel the price difference between buying it in Nigeria and in Cotonou. I inquired from the agent when I will get the car I already paid for, he said I should keep the money for the driver ready by the next day (Tuesday). On the next day (Tuesday), he called saying that because he hadn't paid the driver in advance that the driver didn't bring the car and that I need to send the money so that he can give it to the driver and that the car will be in Nigeria the next day (Wednesday). With all speed I went to deposit the money into his account, Wednesday came and pffffd, I called, was told the driver hasn't got a booking yet (what booking), oh be patient, I told myself... Thursday came and pffffffd, I called, was told the driver just got booking but had to bring other cars, that he will bring mine on Friday, this meant another sleepless night, my head had informed my mind... oh be patient, one last day to go, I reassured myself... Friday (yesterday) came, I called and was told the car will come in today Saturday... Hehehehe I for don jeje buy my car for Lagos here, register and drive! During the last call, I asked the agent to explain why the delay after I was made to pay for clearance, it was handed down to me that the almost 600,000 CFA I paid for clearing was only for Cotonou side and that my Car is passing through bush and that there is a little hiccups between drivers and the customs, that I should be patient until the fuss between them reduce. And he (the agent) also told me to keep some money down to get some custom duty documents when the car comes... As you can tell from when this post is made, am keeping vigil now not because I have insomnia or observing it for religion sake, NO O na car wey I buy for Cotonou wey if I put my expenses together don pass the price wey some Lagos dealers dey sell the car for here, now I spent higher amount, haven't seen the car after one week! Learn from me
,hahahahah sorry ma brother
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by JohnDanApeh: 5:09pm On Feb 18, 2018
Pls, help me confirm if this info is correct or scam.

AUCTION!!! THE NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE ARE RECRUITING AND REPLACING OFFICERS NOW,THE RECRUITMENT AND THE REPLACEMENT FORMS IS CURRENTLY ON SALES.QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED ARE:SSCE,ND,HND,BSC,NCE AND SO ON INTERESTED PERSON SHOULD CONTACT THE OFFICE,CALL CUSTOM BELLO ROSEMARY ON(08148711661) FOR PURCHASE AND MORE INFORMATION.

BUY YOUR BAGS OF RICE IN A LOWER PRICE OF #8,500 AND GROUNDNUT OIL FOR #5,000 DILIVERY FEE PER BAGS OF RICE IS #1000 WHY GALLON OF OIL IS #500 TO ALL LOCATIONS.

NIGERIA CUSTOM SERVICE ALSO AUCTION FAIRLY USE PHONES IN ALL BRANDS, CLEAN,CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE.EG INFINIX,TECNO,SAMSUNG,IPHONE ETC.

TOKUMBO VEHICLES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FOR SALE E.G. *GOLF2=#200,000 *GOLF3=#270,000 *TOYOTA CAMRY TINY LIGHT=#350,000 *TOYOTA CAMRY BIGDADDY=#450,000 *TOYOTA HIGHLANDER=#850,000 *TOYOTA VENZA=#750,000 *TOYOTA COROLLA=#600,000 * TOYOTA AVALON=#550,000 *TOYOTA SEIENA=650,000*TOYOTA PRADO=#1.2M *TOYOTA HIACE BUS=#950,000 *TOYOTA 4RUNNER=#750,000 *TOYOTA HILUX=#800,000 *TOYOTA MATRIX=#550,000 *LEXUS RX350=#850,000 *LEXUS RX330=#750,000 *LEXUS RX300=#700,000 *NISSAN PATHFINDER=#800,000 *NISSAN QUEST=650,000 *NISSAN MOURANO=700,000 *HONDA CR-V=650,000 *HONDA ACCORD BABY BOY=450,000 *HONDA ACCORD=#550,000*HONDA EVIL SPIRIT=500,000 AND MANY MORES. FOR MORE INFORMATION AND PURCHASE CONTACT THE CUSTOM MARKETING OFFICER BELLO ROSEMARY ON (08148711661).WE MAKE DELIVERY TO ALL THE 36 STATE IN NIGERIA ALL VEHICLES MUST BE CLEARED. PAYMENT AFTER DELIVERY. THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
JohnDanApeh:
Pls, help me confirm if this info is correct or scam.

AUCTION!!! THE NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE ARE RECRUITING AND REPLACING OFFICERS NOW,THE RECRUITMENT AND THE REPLACEMENT FORMS IS CURRENTLY ON SALES.QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED ARE:SSCE,ND,HND,BSC,NCE AND SO ON INTERESTED PERSON SHOULD CONTACT THE OFFICE,CALL CUSTOM BELLO ROSEMARY ON(08148711661) FOR PURCHASE AND MORE INFORMATION.

BUY YOUR BAGS OF RICE IN A LOWER PRICE OF #8,500 AND GROUNDNUT OIL FOR #5,000 DILIVERY FEE PER BAGS OF RICE IS #1000 WHY GALLON OF OIL IS #500 TO ALL LOCATIONS.

NIGERIA CUSTOM SERVICE ALSO AUCTION FAIRLY USE PHONES IN ALL BRANDS, CLEAN,CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE.EG INFINIX,TECNO,SAMSUNG,IPHONE ETC.

TOKUMBO VEHICLES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FOR SALE E.G. *GOLF2=#200,000 *GOLF3=#270,000 *TOYOTA CAMRY TINY LIGHT=#350,000 *TOYOTA CAMRY BIGDADDY=#450,000 *TOYOTA HIGHLANDER=#850,000 *TOYOTA VENZA=#750,000 *TOYOTA COROLLA=#600,000 * TOYOTA AVALON=#550,000 *TOYOTA SEIENA=650,000*TOYOTA PRADO=#1.2M *TOYOTA HIACE BUS=#950,000 *TOYOTA 4RUNNER=#750,000 *TOYOTA HILUX=#800,000 *TOYOTA MATRIX=#550,000 *LEXUS RX350=#850,000 *LEXUS RX330=#750,000 *LEXUS RX300=#700,000 *NISSAN PATHFINDER=#800,000 *NISSAN QUEST=650,000 *NISSAN MOURANO=700,000 *HONDA CR-V=650,000 *HONDA ACCORD BABY BOY=450,000 *HONDA ACCORD=#550,000*HONDA EVIL SPIRIT=500,000 AND MANY MORES. FOR MORE INFORMATION AND PURCHASE CONTACT THE CUSTOM MARKETING OFFICER BELLO ROSEMARY ON (08148711661).WE MAKE DELIVERY TO ALL THE 36 STATE IN NIGERIA ALL VEHICLES MUST BE CLEARED. PAYMENT AFTER DELIVERY. THANKS FOR YOUR PATRONAGE

2018 you are stilll asking this kind of question
even when SCAM is written all over it? no wonder 419 bleep people

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by justmoore: 2:54pm On Sep 01, 2019
saintjoel:

m

YOU'VE two options sir and they are as follows -

1. You've to process DUTY papers because the vehicle was not used in or licensed in Nigeria,the moment you decide to switch registration plates to a Nigerian number,you will need a DUTY paper to back it up,immediately you start using a Nigerian number without papers,it becomes a smuggled vehicle.

2. You can continue using the Benin plates with international papers and also use international drivers license too.

For your DUTY papers,kindly check my signature,thanks.

[quote author=saintjoel post=38953677]

Please,

I will like to know the following;

1. How much will land Lexus RX 300 (2000 model) and Highlander (2002-2005 model) to Sango-Ota, Ogun State?

2. When is the best time/day to come for inspection before purchasing of any preferred car?

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Innoson Releases Luxury IVM G80 And G40 SUV (Photos) / A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.