Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive (46770 Views)

Nigerians Slam NCC’s IMEI, Phone IDs Directive: We Deserve Some Privacy / NIMC Issues Out Fresh Instructions For Those Who Don’t Have NIN / More Options For Nigerians As Matrix Set To Launch Pre-owned Devices (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by letitrainnow(m): 4:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
• Withdraws recognition for BVN-generated NIN

With a fresh notice from the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) discountenancing National Identification Number (NIN) generated via Bank Verification Number (BVN), frustrations of Nigerians may have been compounded.

The directive, yesterday, to citizens to go the whole hog of enrolment further elicited disenchantment for the verification exercise introduced last month by the Federal Government.

On its Twitter handle, @nimc_ng, the commission said Nigerians must complete their NIN registration, even if their BVN generates the special digit.

The notice read: “If your NIN was generated due to the BVN record harmonisation with the National Identity Database, you will not have access to the NIMC mobile app and your NIN-SIM integration will be invalid.

“Kindly visit an enrolment centre to complete your NIN registration.” The new order comes a day after NIMC warned Nigerians to stay away from a fake app that claims to help link NIN to SIM cards.

The commission claimed that the app was run by fraudsters, who used it to harvest NINs and BVNs. While crowds continued to besiege the enrolment centres, others have kept throwing tantrums at the Federal Government, NIMC and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for making them pass through what they described as harrowing experiences.

A Twitter user, Oladejo Fabolude with the handle @the_dej, wrote: “A significant section of the population have had their biometrics captured for licences, passports, BVN and SIM registration all at the instance of the government. Any one of these can be linked online to generate a NIN without going to a location to capture the same data.”

Another, Black Magic #EndSARS with the account @joe_unofficial, wrote: “I’m at the @nimc_ng centre in Ipaja. Omo, the politics going on just to get the proper recognition by the country alone is stressful.

“This country is not my own. I am just passing through.” Ayanate|| OA5 Communications noted: “Better disconnect my lines. Because nothing will make me go to any NIMC centre.”

Already, some subscribers, under the aegis of the Association of Telephone, Cable TV and Internet Subscribers (ATCIS), have called for suspension of the assignment due to COVID-19 risks.

The National President, Sina Bilesanmi, in a statement, condemned the alleged mistreatment of his members nationwide by NIMC, demanding suspension of the exercise and apologies for subscribers.

BESIDES, full activities have resumed at the NIMC headquarters in Abuja.

The commission’s Director-General, Aliyu Aziz, vowed his management’s commitment for welfare and health of staff. He enjoined them to go about their duties in total compliance with extant COVID-19 protocols.

Speaking to The Guardian, Aziz promised that more personal protective equipment (PPE) would be provided for the workers.

https://guardian.ng/news/more-discomfort-for-nigerians-as-nimc-issues-fresh-directive/amp/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by darocha1: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2021
Confusion everywhere

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 14, 2021
This country is not my own

I am just passing through.

grin angry angry

263 Likes 13 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by LadySarah: 6:06pm On Jan 14, 2021
grin
We are just pilgrims.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Tonymegabush1(m): 6:32pm On Jan 14, 2021
Nigeria and ILL time policies always ready to make citizens go through hell experience each they dish out their directives. Could remember how it was for us during 2014 just to register for this NIN na so we left house around 5:30 am just to get ahead of others, same thing with voters card.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by careytommy37(m): 7:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
NIGERIA
Land of Cruise cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Ishilove: 8:10pm On Jan 14, 2021
I never thought I'll say this but I'm glad I registered in 2014... Even though till now I haven't gotten my card angry

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Omoluabi16(m): 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2021
Ishilove:
I never thought I'll say this but I'm glad I registered in 2014... Even though till now I haven't gotten my card angry
Na same boat we dey oh smiley We still await the card. Even that useless lasra. who knows, it may be useful one day.

3 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Ishilove: 8:17pm On Jan 14, 2021
Omoluabi16:
Na same boat we dey oh smiley We still await the card. Even that useless lasra. who knows, it may be useful one day.
I had the chance to do Lasra but I was tired on that day and wasn't in the mood to queue. Till today I didn't go back. Any day I'm idle I will go and do it. Like you said, who knows, one day it might turn out useful.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Omoluabi16(m): 8:17pm On Jan 14, 2021
I can't wrap my head around this. What is the urgency about this NIN? Of all the things bedeviling us, these people are focusing on NIN. Sick people.

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Ishilove: 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2021
Omoluabi16:
I can't wrap my head around this. What is the urgency about this NIN? Of all the things bedeviling us, these people are focusing on NIN. Sick people.
As in ehn. Nigeria is steered by nincompoops

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by abosede35876: 8:28pm On Jan 14, 2021
More discomfort for Nigerians as NIMC issues fresh directive
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Uyi168: 8:30pm On Jan 14, 2021
For those of us that refused to register, when will they start disconnecting our lines

59 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Omoluabi16(m): 8:36pm On Jan 14, 2021
Ishilove:

As in. Nigeria is steered by nincompoops
If we had a working house they will call the NIMC head to order. They pretend as if they have no idea about Nigeria. Zero research. Zero technical sense. BVN, sim registration and they can't sync them. We are a very unique people.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Salliet(m): 8:47pm On Jan 14, 2021
I thought it's this same country thinking of total lock down due to the second wave of covid-19. Are these guys silly or what exactly is the color of our problem.

Retards!

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by falcon01: 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2021
who is also waiting for them to block his line?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by gbadexy(m): 9:45pm On Jan 14, 2021
They compounded their frustration not our frustration.
Airtel sent me a message my BVN generated NIN
submission was successful.

14 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Olim4: 9:56pm On Jan 14, 2021
some persons are using voters card inplace of NIN don't know if its authentic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by joseph1832(m): 10:02pm On Jan 14, 2021
Ishilove:
What's funny is I registered since like 2004. I still have the old ID card. I remember they took my fingerprints using paper. Lol. I'm actually not surprise I don't have NIN. grin

Anyway, I'm not going to stress myself like I did during the BVN registration. You can ask yourself how that went.

If the government like let them disconnect my phone lines, the real issue is whether the telecoms company are ready to lose that much subscribers given this new directive.

Let's watch and see how it'll play out.

60 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Ishilove: 10:08pm On Jan 14, 2021
joseph1832:
What's funny is I registered since like 2004. I still have the old ID card. I remember they took my fingerprints using paper. Lol. I'm actually not surprise I don't have NIN. grin

Anyway, I'm not going to stress myself like I did during the BVN registration. You can ask yourself how that went.

If the government like let them disconnect my phone lines, the real issue is whether the telecoms company are ready to lose that much subscribers given this new directive.

Let's watch and see how it'll play out.
You make sense

13 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Bebson007(m): 10:16pm On Jan 14, 2021
Did mine 2013 and collected original 2015..... it also serves as ATM card linked to Access bank so I was told by the official.
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by merieam16(f): 10:25pm On Jan 14, 2021
Ishilove:
same thing my sis, it was my employer than that forced me to do.Now anytime i see NIN na her name i dey see so...lolzz

4 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by joseph1832(m): 10:35pm On Jan 14, 2021
Ishilove:
You make sense
It's just like what one Twitter user said in the OP above.

When you buy a sim card you register it. Your picture is taken and even your biometrics. It's the same with Voters ID card and the likes.

Now what stops this incompetent NIMC to liaz with the telecoms company, INEC or even the banks since these people have the data of many Nigerians and ask them to submit the data they have and cross reference it and the likes. Then allocate NIN and send it to the subscribers phone numbers or ask them to use a code to check it like it's done with BVN.

I'm sure you know they won't do this because they like the hard way, the only way.

PS: I know I make sense that's one of the reason you like me. grin kiss

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by KosiGee(m): 1:27am On Jan 15, 2021
Ishilove:

I never thought I’ll say this but you’ll be collecting an expired card...that’s if it ever get to you.
You should be getting your documents ready to renew your ‘brand new expired’ card.

16 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by zieraw2005(m): 1:51am On Jan 15, 2021
They will keep shifting goal post
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by femi4: 5:07am On Jan 15, 2021
Ishilove:
It has expired. The new digital card generated by their app is replacing it
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Emeka71(m): 5:20am On Jan 15, 2021
Tell them.
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Emeka71(m): 5:23am On Jan 15, 2021
Ishilove:
Me too I registered in 2015 and still haven't gotten my card.
Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Frstem: 6:57am On Jan 15, 2021
Pretty messed up though.

I await for the disconnection...

People now pay as high as 5k to be able to register at these enrolment centres.

7 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by tobidipity(m): 7:03am On Jan 15, 2021
falcon01:
who is also waiting for them to block his line?

We plenty for this whatsapp group

11 Likes

Re: More Discomfort For Nigerians As NIMC Issues Fresh Directive by Orire001: 7:05am On Jan 15, 2021
Hmm

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on my signature.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do This Before Saving Any Contact On Your Phone / PHOTO: Root Your Android Without PC Tested ON N7 Tecno / Best Phones For The New Ntel 4G LTE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.