Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? (7259 Views)

Why Yoruba Will Never Support Goodluck Jonathan In 2015 / PDP Governors Prostrate For Obasanjo To Support Goodluck Jonathan's Re-election / Support Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Through This LINK! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Seun(m): 12:31am On Apr 04, 2011
Hi.  This thread is for the quiet, conservative folks out there who intend to vote for Goodluck Jonathan & Sambo during the presidential elections.  What attracted you to GEJ in the first place, and what leads you to continue to support GEJ despite the recent hysteria for some repackaged candidates? (please, no offtopic posts, thanks)
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by repogirl1: 12:37am On Apr 04, 2011
GEJ is not the problem: his party is. So I say vote for him anyway because the other parties are just not yet ready for political domination.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by agabaI23(m): 12:43am On Apr 04, 2011
He is the best among the bunch. He has clear power road map that I believe is workable and he has delivered so far on the power issue.
He has clear intentions to allow free and fair elections.
He achieved much within a short time considering the number of rogue elements by his side.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by EzeUche(m): 12:46am On Apr 04, 2011
I support Goodluck Jonathan, because I want to finally see peace in the Niger Delta. And since he is from the region, I think he is the best man for the job to solve that problem.

Plus, Goodluck is good for business and foreign investment.  cool
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by fxtopedia(m): 12:47am On Apr 04, 2011
Seun:

Hi.  This thread is for the quiet, conservative folks out there who intend to vote for Goodluck Jonathan & Sambo during the presidential elections.  What attracted you to GEJ in the first place, and what leads you to continue to support GEJ despite the recent hysteria for some repackaged candidates?  (please, no offtopic posts, thanks)

Is better you make the thread available to GEJ candidate. But since that is not feasible we got to talk, so ti gbo SEUN.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by jking001(m): 12:54am On Apr 04, 2011
Please allow the Niger delta region feel the impact of the presidency we can see how each  past president or head have affected the lives of their immediate community it's an opportunity for someone from the south south to know what it feels like to be a president, even if he's the wrong or right man for us, at least we could bare and tolerate the Babangida regime all those while GJ has just spent an unstable  10 months and people are crying crucify him for me i think he deserves a chance just as any other person would consider Buhari let  the south south rule for at least 4 years can't judge him by the people around him right now i think we all should give him a try at least if he doesn't perform after 4 years we still have a chance to vote him we are not going to die in 4 years time we can only judge this man after 4 years there's no prejudice no pre-judgement.

Tenure    Incumbent    Affiliation    Notes
Federal Republic of Nigeria
1 October 1963 to 16 January 1966    Nnamdi Azikiwe, President    NCNC    Deposed
16 January 1966 to 29 July 1966    Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, Head of the Federal Military Government    Mil    Deposed and murdered
1 August 1966 to 29 July 1975    Yakubu Gowon, Head of the Federal Military Government    Mil    Deposed
29 July 1975 to 13 February 1976    Murtala Mohammed, Head of the Federal Military Government    Mil    Assassinated
13 February 1976 to 1 October 1979    Olusegun Obasanjo, Head of the Federal Military Government    Mil    1st term, transitioned to civil rule
1 October 1979 to 31 December 1983    Shehu Shagari, President    NPN    Deposed
31 December 1983 to 27 August 1985    Muhammadu Buhari, Chairman of the Supreme Military Council    Mil    Deposed
27 August 1985 to 26 August 1993    Ibrahim Babangida, President of the Armed Forces Ruling Council    Mil    Resigned
26 August 1993 to 17 November 1993    Ernest Shonekan, Interim Head of State    n-p    Deposed
17 November 1993 to 8 June 1998    Sani Abacha, Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council    Mil    Died in office
8 June 1998 to 29 May 1999    Abdulsalami Abubakar, Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council    Mil    Resigned
29 May 1999 to 29 May 2007    Olusegun Obasanjo, President    PDP    2nd term
29 May 2007 to 5 May 2010    Umaru Yar'Adua, President    PDP    Died in office
9 February 2010 to 5 May 2010    Goodluck Jonathan, Acting President    PDP    Acting for Yar'Adua
5 May 2010 to Present    Goodluck Jonathan, President
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by EzeUche(m): 1:11am On Apr 04, 2011
^^^

Agreed
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by angelo5uk(m): 1:33am On Apr 04, 2011
jking001:

Please allow the Niger delta region feel the impact of the presidency we can see how each  past president or head have affected the lives of their immediate community it's an opportunity for someone from the south south to know what it feels like to be a president, even if he's the wrong or right man for us, at least we could bare and tolerate the Babangida regime all those while GJ has just spent an unstable  10 months and people are crying crucify him for me i think he deserves a chance just as any other person would consider Buhari let  the south south rule for at least 4 years can't judge him by the people around him right now i think we all should give him a try at least if he doesn't perform after 4 years we still have a chance to vote him we are not going to die in 4 years time we can only judge this man after 4 years there's no prejudice no pre-judgement if you are from south south you should support GJ because nobody actually sends us for 9ja it's our chance lets take it and vote GJ without looking back we can always face the consequences it's our time.

Im from Delta State and im really surprise to hear people over here say vote for jonathan because hes from the south-south, who cares, let the better man win, let Nigeria choose and sincerely speaking, i dont feel Jonathan will win in a free and fair election but i know the PDP will surely try to rig him into power and i believe thats where God will get angry with him
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by fizokey(m): 1:42am On Apr 04, 2011
I support him because i support him. *dancing*can't wait*
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by hardywaltz(m): 1:57am On Apr 04, 2011
Don't worry most people support GEJ due to 1 sentiment(s) or another, not any meaningful issue. In the 21st century where other countries choose their leaders based on very best, we are stuck with a humble thief and clueless cowardly lucky fellow as President and all people talk about is his humble, his from south south etc. We will neva move forward in dis country.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by ASANIGBO(m): 2:06am On Apr 04, 2011
GEJ

CARRY

GO.

Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by strangest(m): 2:19am On Apr 04, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So who would have been better Buhari and the Abacha team? GOODLUCK IS THE RIGHT MAN FOR NOW, I LOVE HIM COS I BUY FUEL 65NAIRA NOW,
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Gboliwe: 2:30am On Apr 04, 2011
For me he is the sanest guy among the top aspirants.
They say he is clueless and dumb,thats another good reason why i'l vote him.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by strangest(m): 2:32am On Apr 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am glad you love him for that but you do know that for you to pay that Naira 65 per litre, the Government pays up the remaining, say Naira 100 more, that it would have cost you if had to pay full price.  We import most of what we consume and that means we pay the same price as many countries who do not have oil at all. And guess where that Naira 100 comes from? From your development fund  . . . money that would have instead gone to providing you better roads, better education for your children etc.  grin

Yes am fully aware but this has been going on for ages and its not GOODLUCK'S FAULT, Let us all keep praying, its definitely going to be well someday. Am not saying that Goodluck is the BEST for this position but after looking at the whole presidential candidates I have no option than to remember George Orwell's Animal Farm. They all claim to be the best but all of them are after our oil money, so far Goodluck seems okay to me and I would have voted for him, if I had registered for the election.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by strangest(m): 2:56am On Apr 04, 2011
Thanks for the information, Definitely everything that has an advantage comes with some disadvantages, that is life for you. Yesterday gas was very expensive here, that gas is cheaper today does not necessary mean that the government is subsidizing the price with development money. It may still mean that the government before Jonathan's has been siphoning our pockets and Jonathan's government discovered it and said NO to it or don't you see it that way??. grin
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by uyakachi(m): 2:57am On Apr 04, 2011
for the fact that what snake give birth will always be long  ,i cant give my suport to any northerner
for morethan past 30 years on power is a wasted years for the whole contry
i think is time to give others chance to see what they can do .
monkey remains monkey even with  human sence**********

******CHANGE IS ALL WE NEED********
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by naijaking1: 3:09am On Apr 04, 2011
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Rossikk(m): 3:17am On Apr 04, 2011
In fact GEJ is a genuine president. He's probably the best president we've ever had.

I've no idea why people wish to talk about people like Buhari and co who've already had their chance years ago and did nothing.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Megatone(m): 3:23am On Apr 04, 2011
[i][/i]
So far OBJ is behind him, am against him,they are all the same i dont care where our next leader is from all we need is positive change lets not deviate from what we have on ground pdp is not d best for us.They are all career thieves suffering from mental turbulence
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Kobojunkie: 3:25am On Apr 04, 2011
http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2584:railway-will-drive-nigerias-economy-by-2015--chairman&catid=3:business&Itemid=3

Railway will drive Nigeria’s economy by 2015 — Chairman

What is government’s plan to revamp the near comatose Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC)?

As you are aware, the federal government has taken a decision to rehabilitate the Nigerian rail system. The corporation was run down virtually and it was, kind of, moribund, non-operational. With the coming of President Yar’adua’s government in 2007, a decision was taken that the railway should be revamped and put back to use. We have looked at the whole spectrum and we want to make sure that the railway plays its part as part of inter-modal transport system designed by the government. The tracks have been the main problem; the rolling stock has also not been at optimal level when we came in.

How much has the government invested in the project and how much is it expected to make from it?

The government is investing a lot of money. For example, for Lagos-Kano route, we are investing over N25 billion, Port Harcourt-Maiduguri is gulping about N50 billion. In the purchase of locomotives, I can’t say exactly because we have a contract with General Electric to supply 25 locomotives. Each one will cost $3 million. So, a lot of money is being invested and when the tracks are finished and all the locomotives delivered, revenues accruing to the railway will be more than enough to repay government’s investment.

When will NRC take delivery of the remaining 10 locomotives?

We have a delivery schedule and we expect that by the end of September 2010, all the 25 will be in place. And we have already started using the new locomotives. Three of them are already operating in Lagos; one has already been delivered to Kano for the Kano mass transit; two have been delivered to Port Harcourt for mass transit between that state and Enugu. We have to start from somewhere.

You said by 2015, the railway system would have been rehabilitated. But in Nigeria, when a new government comes into power, it discontinues with the programmes of its predecessor(s). Are there measures in place to ensure that subsequent administrations will not tamper with the existing policy?

The late General Sanni Abacha came up with a policy for the transformation of the rail system. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo also had a different programme for the railway.

Yar adua's Train Project now being claimed as Jonathans. .   grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Rossikk(m): 3:30am On Apr 04, 2011
Jonathan and Yar'Adua are the same. Try another angle, Kobojunkie.

If I might add, you really dig the depths of tackiness by denying the president credit for the railway progress.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by naijaking1: 3:31am On Apr 04, 2011
LFJ:

Look at the mirror, and see the image of your life in the hands of GEJ and his pilot in the last [b]12[/b]years;
• The governance is still business as usual
• The criminals are still roaming our street
• Our Roads are still death trap
• Our education is getting worst
• Heath sector is a disgrace
• Unemployment is still growing
• We are now sleeping with fear, because of the state of our security
• Electricity is a problem
• Corruption still strong front and back
• Drinkable water is not readily available
• Rule of law has become a dream
This election is election for Nigeria and not Niger Delta election, Niger Delta is part of Nigeria problem, we want a leader that will solve Nigeria problem. If Niger Delta issue is your only problem in Nigeria, then Jonathan is good for you as president, but if you think there is need for an independent minded president that will confront our entire problem regardless of where there is problem, then Jonathan is not fit as your candidate.  

GEJ has been president since Yardua died, less than 2 years. Where did the 12 years come from? If you lump his tenure as vice president, governor, deputy governor, univeristy lecturer, and civil servant to arrive at your 12 years calculation, then you need to look into the morrow to see what dishonesty looks like.

Once again, the other choice, Buhari is the one who should be vying for the emir of Fulanis in Nigeria, not as president of Nigeria. Please read:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-638106.0.html
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Kobojunkie: 3:33am On Apr 04, 2011
Rossikk:

Jonathan and Yar'Adua are the same. Try another angle, Kobojunkie.

If I might add, you really dig the depths of tackiness by denying the president credit for the railway progress.
So, does that mean we can now blame Jonathan for the moribund state of infrastructure in the last 4 years then? The many failed promises over the past 4 years? The lack of effective Healthcare? The state of Education -- how the government did next to nothing to improve the state of existing schools for the past 4 years?

naijaking1:

Where did the 12 years come from?

Jonathan has been in Government for 12 years straight --- He served as Deputy Governor(1999-2005), Governor(2005-2007), Vice President(2007-2010), and now President(2010-Present).

1999 - 2011  ===> 12 years!
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by appletango: 3:41am On Apr 04, 2011
Que surprise!!

NOT. ONE. SINGLE. COGENT. RESPONSE.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by userlist(f): 3:53am On Apr 04, 2011
I'm amazed at Nigerians for supporting ineptitude. (GEJ)
Let face it:

1. When Alesiamegha was stealing Goodluck folded his hands and just watched? (impossible)
2. What was his achievement as deputy governor? None
3. He lied when he said he spoke to Yar'udua on numerous occasion when he was sick (we are all witness)
4. His wife is as corrupt as any big corrupt person in Nigeria (remember 2 EFCC cases)
5. No balls, remember how Turai caged him before and after he became acting president
6. Remember how security officials took over Abuja airport.
7. He was in-charge of the committee that looked after power generation during Yar'udua (as minister)
8. Said MENDs are not terrorist
9. Received Bode George with open hands
10. He said Babaginda is his mentor
11. OBJ is his Godfather
12. Tony Aneni is his Godfather
13. EFCC/ICPC is dead under his watch.
14. Halliburton/Siemens/Julius Berger scandal hasn't been giving priority
15. Hasn't done anything about the bomb blast all over the country
16. External reserve depleted under his watch
17. Excess crude oil account depleted under his watch
18. Agreed to a debate but chickened out in the last minute
19. Uduahan is a wanted man in England but GEJ make sure he won his re-election
20. Almost all known rouges in Nigeria today is a friend to GEJ
21. He said power problem will be a thing of the past in December 2010 (now shifted to 2015)
22. GEJ doesn't know how many percent of the budget has been implemented
23. Igbinedion is charged with corruption but GEJ right hand man is Igbinedion's deputy
24. He sent Orubebe to South Africa 6mths. to see orka before the independent bomb blast
25. Patricia Etteh/Farida Waziri given national award by Goodluck Jonathan
26. Called south west political leaders bunch of rascals
27. Junket around the globe with too many aids (no wonder our reserve is no more)
28. During Yar'adua we had 60 plus advisers and assistant now GEJ added about 57
29. He made his Senegalese tailor and his wife hair dresser personal assistant
30. Bribed those that voted for him during the primaries with $7,000 (multiplied by 2000 + people)
31. Refuse to bring those bad eggs that prevented him from becoming acting president
32. Yar'udua's signature was forged on the supplementary budget (nothing done till date)
33. Yar'udua's security vote was stollen during the saga (nothing done till date)
34. Ban Green Eagles for 2yrs. Instead of finding a solution. What has he done since.

These are some of the reasons I'm not voting for him

Nigerians Please Think before you vote
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Rossikk(m): 3:55am On Apr 04, 2011
So, does that mean we can now blame Jonathan for the moribund state of infrastructure in the last 4 years then?

How can you blame Jonathan for the ''moribund'' state of infrastructure in Nigeria? You do realize it took several decades of neglect by successive govts - mostly military - to degrade our infrastructure?

How the hell do you expect him to turn it around in 3 or 4 years, or you think infrastructural development of a country the size of Nigeria is a child's play?

The lack of effective Healthcare?

Do you actually think President Jonathan is responsible for every Nigerian's healthcare?

You couldn't be more mistaken. According to a source:

''Health care provision in Nigeria is a concurrent responsibility of the three tiers of government in the country. However, because Nigeria operates a mixed economy, private providers of health care have a visible role to play in health care delivery. The federal government's role is mostly limited to coordinating the affairs of the university teaching hospitals, while the state governments manage the various general hospitals, and the local government focus on dispensaries, (which are regulated by the federal government through NAFDAC).''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_Nigeria

So if you're gonna blame anyone for health care problems, be brave and honest enough to spread the blame around a lot more. Better still, just concentrate on YOUR OWN STATE because YOUR STATE gets federal money every month. YOUR GOVERNOR should be the person you turn to for health issues, NOT JONATHAN.

The state of Education -- how the government did next to nothing to improve the state of existing schools for the past 4 years?

You're wrong that the Jonathan administration has done 'next to nothing'.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/opinion/3741-is-jonathan-good-for-nigerian-youths.html

It's easy for you to sit in America or wherever it is you are, conduct no research whatsoever, and just appear with loud, pompous pronouncements of govt doing ''next to nothing'' on any issue you take a fancy to.

If I may ask, when last did YOU personally walk into a Nigerian classroom or university campus, or discuss with a lecturer on working conditions? (I fully expect you to duck this question)
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Beaf: 4:33am On Apr 04, 2011
I am attracted by Jonathan's people oriented qualities, his willingness to engage and genuine warmth that have endeared him to many, both nationally and internationally.

Nigeria needs a cool, wise head like Jonathans, not brute force types who have not given due consideration to the near explosive responsibilities they propose to bear.

Jonathans quiet way is what the anti-corruption battle requires, the recent PDP primaries is an example. Compared to all other parties, it was a showpiece of excellence. We all counted the votes out of the transparent ballot boxes together. Way to go!

Much more than the above, Nigeria needs the cool, calm, wise and reassured head that sits on Jonathans shoulders. He alone has the diplomatic nous and social dexterity needed to weld the disparate parts of Nigeria into one indivisible union with shared goals and ideals.

On steering Nigeria forward in the modern global economic World:

He appears like he is a type who “does not ask for the one who killed his father until he has the cutlass”, as a Yoruba adage goes. But more importantly, in the past year, he has proved that he is willing to go in the direction of subsidising and coordinating investments, and providing the public investments necessary to pull in the private investments. He has shown he is ready to pursue reforms, develop a great business attitude, and he is likely to pursue critical industrial strategies towards more investment, growth and jobs that will eventually transform the current structure of the Nigerian economy. Because I think he is more likely to pursue this line of policies, he has a greater potential to be a great leader. May a great leader emerge.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/columnists/19923-jonathan-has-the-greatest-potential

Jonathans economic vision also reaches to Research and Development, to which he is planning a bill that will dedicate 1% of our GDP. His plans for power generation are very detailed and investor interest for 2011 (at an estimated $20billion) is already double the annual minimum projection of $10billion Nigera requires per annum. The railways are coming back to life, and GEJ is actively pushing the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB), a bill that could transform Nigeria literarilly overnight.

In the education / human rights sectors, there is the long overdue education of the much abused almajiri population; GEJ is also pushing the Freedom of Information bill (FOI).

Carry Go, GEJ!!
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by EzeUche(m): 4:54am On Apr 04, 2011
Jonathan is good for business. cool

Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by appletango: 5:07am On Apr 04, 2011
F.uck me beaf. You don't half speak some shi.t.

I laughed All the way through that.

Have you ever met GEJ?
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by Tcrack(m): 5:26am On Apr 04, 2011
Image people saying things like : he is from the south, it is not his fault, he is humble. not one person could mention one of his achievements in 12 years . LORD GOD, I bless you for taking me out of Nigeria.
Re: Why Do You Support Goodluck Jonathan For President? by eghost247(m): 5:50am On Apr 04, 2011
Among all the candidates he is the best man for the JOB

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Video Of Some Youths Thumb Printing For PDP / Nigeria Best Cities Challenge (join Poll Now) / Delta APC Crisis: Court Didn’t Affirm Omo-agege’s Candidacy – Emerhor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.