Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf (13225 Views)

Gbajabiamila Writes Chinese Leader•’fayose’s Letter Amounts To Sabotage’ / Jonathan Rejects Amended Constitution / PDP Crisis: Jonathan Rejects Obasanjo’s Peace Mission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by mrofficial(m): 12:27pm On Apr 04, 2011
The crises in the wake of the aborted National Assembly elections almost came to a head late Saturday night when a frustrated Independent National Electoral Commission [INEC] chairman Professor Attahiru Jega offered to resign at a heated meeting of the National Security Council chaired by President Jonathan at the Aso Rock Villa, government sources revealed yesterday.

According to our sources, top security officials at the meeting angrily blamed Jega for the problems that led to the election’s failure. Most of them accused Jega of arrogantly rejecting the offer to use the military for election logistics. He then said the government should constitute a military task force to take over all election logistics.

At a point during the bitter exchanges, the INEC chairman offered to resign immediately. Sources from the meeting said Attorney General and Minister of Justice Mohammed Bello Adoke intervened and said a resignation by the chairman in the midst of elections will amount to treason, whereupon, President Jonathan rejected the resignation offer there and then.

Other agency reports reveal that the decision to further postpone the elections became inevitable when INEC’s commissioners in the field expressed fears that they may also encounter difficulties remobilising their polling officers at short notice. Besides, there were problems of mix-ups and omissions in the ballot papers of some areas that need to be reprinted in order for those areas to participate in the elections. For example, in Gombe Central senatorial district, CPC’s name and logo were omitted from the ballot paper, while the codes for Gombe North and South senatorial districts were mixed up.

http://africanheraldexpress.com/blog7/2011/04/04/jega-offers-to-resign-jonathan-rejects-resignation-amounts-to-treason-agf/
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2011
treason is the new catchall phrase in gejs administration

sgt rogers and co were also told that rewane kudirt eta were threats to nigeria's national security.

endorement by other parties

biscuits and rice

celebration by entertainers

viva goodluck sani abacha johnathan
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by debosky(m): 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2011
Jega has shown his lack of sophistication and a large element of incompetence. If you can't even get the ballot papers printed and shipped into the country on time, how much trust should be placed on his ability to conduct a free and fair elections?

If the military could have helped with logistics then Jega was foolish to refuse their help, unless he had doubts about their impartiality.

Secondly, the hurried and ill thought postponement to Monday showed he's not really thinking through some of his actions.

He has a week to get his act in order and potentially write his name in gold as the organiser of the best elections in the country.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by happyday: 12:43pm On Apr 04, 2011
I think the man has been commended in some quarters for coming out bluntly and revealing THE TRUE situation of issues.

Thumbs up,and hoping to improve and correct all anomalies before Saturday.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 04, 2011
The man is just too . . . . . inept! undecided
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Bawss1(m): 12:46pm On Apr 04, 2011
If this is true then I agree with GEJ. Jega's resignation at this particular time is totally unacceptable, he should finish what he has started. His appointment as INEC boss was not done by force, so now things are nearing the D-Day he should live up to the responsibilities that he choose to shoulder.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by akkeem(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2011
I think Jega is being real, but his resignation will not help matters at this stage. He should at least conclude this general elections.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by naijasing(f): 12:53pm On Apr 04, 2011
too bad
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Beaf1: 12:54pm On Apr 04, 2011
Yes. If it were some Iwus this election will still hold and as usual results will be announced in favour of the 'favourites'
This man came out and told the nation that there was a problem and he admitted being at fault.

I remember very well 2 years ago when the supposedly winner of an election admitting that there was flaws instead of the INEC officials.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by wunmilyn(f): 12:56pm On Apr 04, 2011
This is getting more interesting,
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Eziachi: 1:01pm On Apr 04, 2011
Arise Oh Nigerians!!
Treason is coming next to you.
For the fact that you have never slept with your wife in 5 years- That is treason.
If you doubt me ask GEJ and his chief law officer.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Pataki: 1:01pm On Apr 04, 2011
I have nothing to say to Jega now, until the elections on Saturday have been conducted.

Let me see how he fares with that, then I would know whether his intended resignation is truly befitting of him.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by paolodiego: 1:02pm On Apr 04, 2011
I sincerely pity the poor man. Given that sort of job in just months to the elections and expecting a miracle from Jega was asking too much. If he was able to pull it off in that short time i would have dubbed my hat for the man. Expecially with all those corrupt and smelling eggs left from the Guobadia and Iwu era who were never prosecuted. The head may be good but the body may be rotten; so what can u expect from such a scenario?
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by efisher(m): 1:04pm On Apr 04, 2011
I don't think the man has been able to sleep for days! I do not ever want to be in such a situation. God help him. sad
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by ideylaff: 1:14pm On Apr 04, 2011
I think the man has been commended in some quarters for coming out bluntly and revealing THE TRUE situation of issues.

Thumbs up,and hoping to improve and correct all anomalies before Saturday.

Come on plz, the guy has spent well over N85 NILLION,

if that was a project and delivery day was shifted with no notice , It will be classified as a Failed Project
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by 10cirenoh: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2011
Hehehehe, maybe someone or some people are already telling him to rig in their favor.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by shagaman: 1:19pm On Apr 04, 2011
Naija,very difficult place for right things to work, Police currupt,Military eager for power,Politicians are armed robbers,As for Jega i respect him for admitting where INEC had issues,6 days is enough for his name to be written in GOD,I can bet everything if we still had Sir Mauritania Iwu the election would still hold and results would have been declared.

On a lighter note, Iwu really helped lawyers, so many cases so many controversies, lawyers were paid for such services grin
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by maclatunji: 1:24pm On Apr 04, 2011
This is just the beginning, you ain't seen nothing yet. This Soap Opera is just beginning.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by 1025: 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2011
Jega has shown his lack of sophistication and a large element of incompetence. If you can't even get the ballot papers printed and shipped into the country on time, how much trust should be placed on his ability to conduct a free and fair elections?

If the military could have helped with logistics then Jega was foolish to refuse their help, unless he had doubts about their impartiality.

Secondly, the hurried and ill thought postponement to Monday showed he's not really thinking through some of his actions.

He has a week to get his act in order and potentially write his name in gold as the organiser of the best elections in the country.

@debosky,
they are not telling us the truth. the inec woman in ekiti ran away and was forced back to announce what she was told to announce. jega is still contemplating to compromise considering how rich he is now. the preasure is much from pdp.
jega is aware of the situation as nigerians are watching with both eyes wide open. the streets will know no peace if he compromises and pdp will know no peace if he does not.
jega1 is right in between the egyptians and the red sea so a moses and a red is needed.
if what these criminals are saying is true, what is wrong in a man resigning if he considers himself a failure? pdp forced vincent ogbulafor out of office and replaced him with nwodo who was also forced to resign. if pdp forced their chairman to resign, why can't they let a man to resign willingly since he can't dance to their tone.
God will catch them this time.
the wicked has been in charge and we have been suffering so let the righteous take over so that we will rejoice.
let jega resign and then let jonathan finish his tenure may and let everybody play from a neutral ground after all, nigeria is used to auto-piloting.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by seal777(m): 1:40pm On Apr 04, 2011
@ideylaff,
I am short of word to describe ur ignorance. Will money work by itself?, without time to prepare, is it Jega that wil empower the economy so we dont have to import paper from japan?.Iwu allowed elections to go on when he knew it was floored ,voting til 7pm,and bound to fail,we showted, nw a credible man postponed an election he knew would be floored,here u re shouting. In 12yrs
PDP has spent 16 billion dollars yet no light,trillions no road,no hope bt yet people like u wil vote umblerra in d name of minority and goodluck.Why nt shout!!!.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by born2boink(m): 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2011
JEGA chop billions finish, when  rich more or die time  occur, the guy want run for safety, the money him chop don rich enough for one million yrs , Good Smart Guy
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by omo9ja1(m): 1:42pm On Apr 04, 2011
Jega please do not resign 0o0o0o0o

let us vote out the  bad party then you free to resign after you give us the result smiley
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by wiseman2011(m): 1:52pm On Apr 04, 2011
Prof. Jaga choose to resign his appointment as inec boss because his credibilities is in doubt, I had said it before and I am still saying it again let us give this honest man a chance to proof himself as man of integrity and credibilities. My prayer is that time shall tell whather election is going to be free and fair, but notwithstanding let us be postive about the election.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by aribisala0(m): 1:53pm On Apr 04, 2011
s
debosky:

to a large extent  i would agree with you but another way of looking at it is like this;  the job requires  competence in the area of operations and logistics(getting men  and materials to the right place at the right time. in other words a technical job)this is a very  complex area more within the area of industry such as the retail sector,courier services and the military. i am talking of the technical aspects  here and not suggesting that the military should have been involved. there is nothing in jega's cv to suggest he is qualified for this job  from a technical perspective. as inec chairman he is functioning as a chief executive not a non-executive chairman .this requires hands on day to day involvement, except  for maybe integrity as widely touted jega has been an academic and does not have previous experience to justify his appointment at such short notice. true june12  was conducted by another professor but there is a huge difference it was not a rushed job and it was under a military government. people were not as desperate in that election as they now are
so i blame those who gave him the job in the first place and i blame him for accepting. it is like appointing ngozi okonjo-iweala a coach of the super eagles   she would be  incompetent and unsophisticated in that role,  however i believe he is a competent and sophisticated man   within his area of expertise. conducting elections is not it
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by babytoun: 1:55pm On Apr 04, 2011
poeple will not just post and try to make sense.

What we should be asking is if  the electoral act provide for the INec chairman resigning in the middle of an election without open holes for serious legal battles after the elections?
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Apr 04, 2011
^^^ How does that change anything of this ? I mean what in the world does that do to allay the fears we now have of this election proceeding as smoothly as we would have loved? I mean before you castigate people for not seeing things in the way you do, at least be sure your way makes more sense . . . . undecided undecided undecided
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Ibime(m): 1:58pm On Apr 04, 2011
Honourable of him to offer his resignation, but we will wait till after the elections to score him.
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Kobojunkie: 2:00pm On Apr 04, 2011
Here's hoping these folks get their acts together and give us a free and fair election come Saturday, or something that closely resembles one at least!

I know Nigeria and drama, especially throughout the PDP years, have been tight twins . . . but some of us are tired of the 'EXCITEMENT' and need some slow down time to recuperate and decide if we want to continue with the same . . .
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by babaowo: 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2011
nah wha ooooooo naija n drama lol
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by debosky(m): 2:14pm On Apr 04, 2011
Ibime:

Honourable of him to offer his resignation, but we will wait till after the elections to score him.

It didn't sound honourable to me. . . .from the accounts it sounded like a petulant 'I no dey do again' after coming under heavy criticism.

Jega has been given a virtual carte blanche at INEC, funding provided and whatnot. . . .for a contractor he appointed to deliver shows he clearly didn't learn his lesson, especially after the first contractor disappointed him as well.

For crying out loud, if the issue was simply 'delivery' of the cargo to Nigeria, he could easily have requested the army to dispatch a C-130 to the location and ship in the materials instead of falling for dodgy promises.

That aside, it was a good thing that he didn't attempt to force through the elections while being unprepared. Some lawyers must've been licking their lips at the possibility of multiple law suits and appeals to challenge results if the elections held. grin
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 04, 2011
Resignation amounts to treason? hmmm, I think there's more than meets the eye.

Wouldnt surprise me if JEGA's corpse is found a day AFTER the result.

[s]BTW, I've been thinking JEGA was Goodluck's name initials: Jona Ebele Goodluck Azik undecided[/s]
Re: Jega Offers To Resign, Jonathan Rejects; Resignation Amounts To Treason – Agf by Excllncy(m): 2:23pm On Apr 04, 2011
I think Mr. President deserve commendation for not interfering all this while. A man of integrity, he will win by the grace of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Azuka Azinge Connived With Enelamah To Grant ‘illegal Waivers' To Polaris Bank / Lawan: We Did Not Take $10 Million Bribe To Pass PIA / EndSARS: Mike Okiro Urges Tinubu To Declare October 20 National Freedom Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.