Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? (706 Views)

COAS: CDS Mourns, Orders Investigation To Unravel Cause Of Crash / PHOTOS: Buhari Arrives Maiduguri For COAS Conference / Plateau Killings: External, Internal Forces Against Nigeria - COAS, Buratai Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Imowo: 9:47am On Jan 28, 2021
It is no longer news that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) is the most senior and highest ranking member of the Nigerian Military. The Nigerian Defence comprises of:
1. The Army
2. The Navy
3. The Airforce
These three have their own heads, which are:
1. Chief of Army Staff (COAS) for Army
2. Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) for Navy
3. Chief of Air Staff (CAS) for Airforce

These three reports to the CDS who reports to the PRESIDENT with administrative supervision of the Minister of Defence.

However, the CDS only receives briefing from the other three and reports to the PRESIDENT, without a command structure.

The Chief of Army Staff command the entire Army structure of Nigeria and may choose to report to the PRESIDENT directly depending on the relationship between him, the COAS and the PRESIDENT.

Personally, I see the CDS as the Chairman of a board for example, Victor Ndoma Egba was Chairman of NDDC while Nsima Ekere was the MD, we all know who ran the establishment and 'made more money'!
So personally, I'd rather go for COAS than CDS.
Let me hear from you!
With reasons, please!

Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by chatinent: 9:57am On Jan 28, 2021
None, as far as Nigeria is concerned.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by otipoju(m): 10:02am On Jan 28, 2021
The CDS is as powerful as the President wants him to be.

If the president follows his final recommendations, after everybody has their say... he automatically becomes powerful, if not he becomes a figurehead
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Officer4: 10:04am On Jan 28, 2021
The CDS is less in the news, so he can secretly loot away.

Whereas, the COAS is being extremely monitored by both the press and the officers in his command.

CDS can always get any juicy request approved by COAS, CAS and CNS. He can help any of the officers there to get promotion if he needs to wade in. So the military is definitely loyal to him regardless. Because the oga of your oga is your oganogram.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Imowo: 10:08am On Jan 28, 2021
otipoju:
The CDS is as powerful as the President wants him to be.

If the president follows his final recommendations, after everybody has their say... he automatically becomes powerful, if not he becomes a figurehead

Exactly my point!
The importance of the CDS is subject to the President's decision, whereas, the COAS has his own structure and whether anyone likes it or not, he is very important.

However, you haven't answered my question!
Taking into cognisance the Buhari's regime, his preference for Northern appointees and the fact that the CDS is from the Southern Delta State, who would you rather be?
CDS or COAS?
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Rugaria: 10:26am On Jan 28, 2021
Actually, the CDS is a figure head. Especially under a set up like that of Buhari who is a former Army General, what sort of advise is the CDS going to give to Buhari that he's going to swallow line hook and sinker? He knows what's going on based on experience.. As such, the CDS is more like a "clearing house"..
The real owner of the army is the Chief of Army staff! He can appoint loyal officers to wherever he wants, he can sack and court-martial officers, he can delay or quickly promote officers... He directly deliver operational orders to the local commanders scattered across the country. So that position is the main focal point of any administrations control of the armed forces. The position of the Cheif of defense staff is just an over glorified administrative position that's more relevant for taking stock of files while the Army Chief runs the day to day command and control of the army..

1 Like

Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by bizz22: 10:30am On Jan 28, 2021
THE PRESIDENT
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Righteousness2(m): 10:31am On Jan 28, 2021
CDS is more of a figure Head appointment.
The Service Chiefs control the troops.
The Service Chiefs Command the troops.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Gbagura: 10:33am On Jan 28, 2021
Like CDS, like NSA. They are both in the same WhatsApp group.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by emkz: 10:38am On Jan 28, 2021
From the tribal way Buhari appoints, the CDS is not as powerful as the COAS in his administration.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Sammy07: 10:59am On Jan 28, 2021
Some ignorant people up there.

When they talk of defense headquarters DHQ
It simply consist of CDS, Minister of Defense and Minister of State

In hierarchy
President C I C
Minster of Defense, CDS, Minister of state
COAS, CON, COA

Have you all forgotten nah CDS dey give allocations to the COAS, CON, COA.
If he wishes he can give lesser allocations to any of them.

I will rather be the CDS

1 Like

Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by mrfreestuff: 11:11am On Jan 28, 2021
Sammy07:
Some ignorant people up there.

When they talk of defense headquarters DHQ
It simply consist of CDS, Minister of Defense and Minister of State

In hierarchy
President C I C
Minster of Defense, CDS, Minister of state
COAS, CON, COA

Have you all forgotten nah CDS dey give allocations to the COAS, CON, COA.
If he wishes he can give lesser allocations to any of them.

I will rather be the CDS
I think people forget that the CDS is a very high ranking member of the armed forces and the position is even fought for among those 3 armed forces so they can have the upper hand.

We are not in military government so hyping COAS above CNS or CAS is academic.
I will rather be a CDS, it is the dream of even the COAS who desires to truly get to the pinnacle of his or her career.

The most powerful of all service chiefs is still the IG of Police.
He has no superior uniformed officer to report to unlike the COAS.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Sammy07: 11:34am On Jan 28, 2021
mrfreestuff:

I think people forget that the CDS is a very high ranking member of the armed forces and the position is even fought for among those 3 armed forces so they can have the upper hand.

We are not in military government so hyping COAS above CNS or CAS is academic.
I will rather be a CDS, it is the dream of even the COAS who desires to truly get to the pinnacle of his or her career.

The most powerful of all service chiefs is still the IG of Police.
He has no superior uniformed officer to report to unlike the COAS.

Exactly.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by otipoju(m): 2:52pm On Jan 28, 2021
Imowo:

Exactly my point!
The importance of the CDS is subject to the President's decision, whereas, the COAS has his own structure and whether anyone likes it or not, he is very important.

However, you haven't answered my question!
Taking into cognisance the Buhari's regime, his preference for Northern appointees and the fact that the CDS is from the Southern Delta State, who would you rather be?
CDS or COAS?

Nigeria can face its own problems, i have better things to want to be. Nigeria that ive not benefited one thing from in my entire life.
Re: Between CDS And COAS, Who Would You Rather Be? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 28, 2021
The CDS is a nobody

(1) (Reply)

Communal Clash: Osun Declare 24-hour Curfew As Two Die, Many Injured / Guerilla Warfare: Ogboriefon And Ogedengbe / “all Igbos Are Igbos The Moment We Agreed That All Fulanis Are Herdsmen,” Man Sa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.