Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience (724 Views)

3 Important Relationship Lessons I Wish I Learnt As A Young Man / BBNaija: 10 Relationship Lessons To Learn From Disqualification Of K-Brule Khloe / “some Nigerian Ladies Have Killed Romance” - Relationship Expert Joro Olumofin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 12:30pm On Jan 28, 2021
As a romance enthusiast, I find myself being enormously clued up about relationships - what makes it healthier, more enjoyable and what makes it rewarding. Thereby I came up with these lessons I intend to share with the public as perhaps it may be useful to some couple out there.

Note: If you're in a relationship just for sex or financial gains, you might want to lose this information.
I will be concise on each of them for easy reading and assimilation. Thanks for your attention as I proceed...

Below are the lessons I've learnt so far...

1. If you expect your partner to love you the way you love them, you will always set yourself up for disappointment. Don't forget this.

2. A good partner is willing to put conscious effort in accommodating to your preferred love language (words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service or physical touch) to show you they care.

3. Be with someone who supports you. They may not understand you completely but they should support the person you were, the person you are and the person you want to be. This is very crucial for those willing to get married

4. Dump anyone who belittles you and puts you down. Your self respect is more important than anything else.

5. If you feel strongly about a certain topic (religion, politics, etc.), save yourself the trouble of dating someone who has starkly different views from you. This would go a long way in averting vain arguments, stress or violence.

6. Gaslighting and emotional abuse is real. Know the signs and get out while you can. Do not subject yourself to wrongful manipulation due to your sexual urges or some other petty reason. It will pay off in the long run.

7. A good relationship is one that adds value to your life. If your relationship is draining you and negatively affecting other aspects of your life, it’s important to ask yourself if being in that relationship is really worth it.

8. Action is more important than words. People won't always tell you how they feel but they will show you. Look at what they do and not just what they say.

9. Set clear boundaries in the relationship. What’s considered acceptable in one relationship may be considered cheating in another.

10. Speak up if something they did made you uncomfortable. Communicate, communicate and communicate. Talk about what you’re into and not into, upfront.

11. Don't date or get into a serious relationship with someone unless you're proud to have a child like them

12. Ask each other personal questions often. Continuously discover and learn from one another.

13. If you're trusting family and friends thinking your partner isn’t right for you, they may see something you don’t. Try to figure out what.

14. Don’t take your partner for granted and don’t let your partner take you for granted.

15. If you’re constantly arguing and having the same fight over and over again, it’s time to decide whether being in the relationship is really worth the trouble. Don't overlook.

16. Put yourself first. The number one relationship you should put first above all is the relationship you have with yourself. It doesn't mean you're selfish, it simply means you won't allow yourself to be taken advantage of by people who don't deserve you.

These are the lessons I've learned so far. My heart wasn't broken o. Don't assume in that direction. These are purely my observations from the experiences of other people. No more, no less...

Is there something I'm missing?

Members in the house, what's your take on this? Have you been jilted before or have you learned any lessons from previous relationships?

3 Likes

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Ladylite: 12:52pm On Jan 28, 2021
Bitter truth

1 Like

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2021
look at this lover boy..

Real OG's should we tell him?
Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2021
SmellySperm:
look at this lover boy..

Tell him
Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by chris259(m): 1:04pm On Jan 28, 2021
SmellySperm:
look at this lover boy..

Tell him what exactly?

2 Likes

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Elmiguel(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2021
I concur op. Your brain dey there. Let me add this:

17 - Don't spend anyhow on any girl
18 - Never take back a cheating partner
19 - Never return to an ex. It will always end up the same

4 Likes

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by vibbb: 1:22pm On Jan 28, 2021
13. Make most sense. Sometimes we get too busy, carried away and clouded to the extent of not noticing anything but friends and family will always do.

1 Like

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 1:22pm On Jan 28, 2021
chris259:
Tell him what exactly?
I don’t know what he wants to tell me o but I'm well curious about it cool
Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 1:29pm On Jan 28, 2021
vibbb:
13. Make most sense. Sometimes we get too busy, carried away and clouded to the extent of not noticing anything but friends and family will always do.
Nice write. Sometimes the worst place you can be is in your own head. Good family advice will help straighthen you up. Moreover, one shouldn't be too busy to spend quality time with his/her intended. It's important to know more about them to avoid stories that touch

1 Like

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 1:47pm On Jan 28, 2021
Elmiguel:
I concur op. Your brain dey there. Let me add this:

17 - Don't spend anyhow on any girl
18 - Never take back a cheating partner
19 - Never return to an ex. It will always end up the same
Very true. Unwise spending would mentally destroy a guy. Most guys that would hate this post are the ones who have been extorted by their girlfriends or heartbroken recently but the fact remains that no relationship is perfect. Every relationship has its ups and downs. The ones who make it through everything are the ones really in love.

More on 19 - I would buttress it with this - one should never go back to an old love, no matter how strong it is. It's like reading a book over and over again when you already know how it ends.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
This might need a wider audience.

2 Likes

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by Mikester: 2:06pm On Jan 28, 2021
Most relationships nowadays are just for sex and money making but the fact remains that for there to be chances of a better marriage it has to move beyond casual sex and money extortion. Relationships are harder now because conversations become texting, arguments become phone calls and feelings become status updates.

1 Like

Re: Romance Relationship - Lessons I've Gained From Experience by VanillaIyce(f): 2:31pm On Jan 28, 2021
Mikester:
As a romance enthusiast, I find myself being enormously clued up about relationships - what makes it healthier, more enjoyable and what makes it rewarding. Thereby I came up with these lessons I intend to share with the public as perhaps it may be useful to some couple out there.

Note: If you're in a relationship just for sex or financial gains, you might want to lose this information.
I will be concise on each of them for easy reading and assimilation. Thanks for your attention as I proceed...

Below are the lessons I've learnt so far...

1. If you expect your partner to love you the way you love them, you will always set yourself up for disappointment. Don't forget this.

2. A good partner is willing to put conscious effort in accommodating to your preferred love language (words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service or physical touch) to show you they care.

3. Be with someone who supports you. They may not understand you completely but they should support the person you were, the person you are and the person you want to be. This is very crucial for those willing to get married

4. Dump anyone who belittles you and puts you down. Your self respect is more important than anything else.

5. If you feel strongly about a certain topic (religion, politics, etc.), save yourself the trouble of dating someone who has starkly different views from you. This would go a long way in averting vain arguments, stress or violence.

6. Gaslighting and emotional abuse is real. Know the signs and get out while you can. Do not subject yourself to wrongful manipulation due to your sexual urges or some other petty reason. It will pay off in the long run.

7. A good relationship is one that adds value to your life. If your relationship is draining you and negatively affecting other aspects of your life, it’s important to ask yourself if being in that relationship is really worth it.

8. Action is more important than words. People won't always tell you how they feel but they will show you. Look at what they do and not just what they say.

9. Set clear boundaries in the relationship. What’s considered acceptable in one relationship may be considered cheating in another.

10. Speak up if something they did made you uncomfortable. Communicate, communicate and communicate. Talk about what you’re into and not into, upfront.

11. Don't date or get into a serious relationship with someone unless you're proud to have a child like them

12. Ask each other personal questions often. Continuously discover and learn from one another.

13. If you're trusting family and friends thinking your partner isn’t right for you, they may see something you don’t. Try to figure out what.

14. Don’t take your partner for granted and don’t let your partner take you for granted.

15. If you’re constantly arguing and having the same fight over and over again, it’s time to decide whether being in the relationship is really worth the trouble. Don't overlook.

16. Put yourself first. The number one relationship you should put first above all is the relationship you have with yourself. It doesn't mean you're selfish, it simply means you won't allow yourself to be taken advantage of by people who don't deserve you.

These are the lessons I've learned so far. My heart wasn't broken o. Don't assume in that direction. grin These are purely my observations from the experiences of other people. No more, no less...

Is there something I'm missing?

Members in the house, what's your take on this? Have you been jilted before or have you learned any lessons from previous relationships? Please share
Nice one

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Guy In Shame As His Girlfriend Reject His Proposal In Public [PICS ] / Pls, Your Advice Is Needed As ASAP / My Husband Doesn't Feel Happy With My Pregnancy, He Already Impregnated My Siste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.