Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,272 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu (22564 Views)

Court Orders Reinstatement Of NFIU Directors Sacked Over Tinubu, Atiku Probes / Kano Assembly Suspends Muhuyi Rimingado For Probing Governor’s Family / BREAKING: 12 EFCC Directors Suspended (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by dre11(m): 12:02am On Jan 29, 2021
The officials were suspended in August 2020 for writing memos to local and foreign authorities to open investigations against the two political figures.

By Ade Adesomoju

Two associate directors of the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) have been suspended for initiating investigations against Atiku Abubakar and Bola Ahmed Tinubu, documents seen by PREMIUM TIMES have shown.

The two NFIU officials, Mohammed Mustapha, the associate director, Intelligence and Investigation, and Fehintola Salisu, associate director, Compliance and Analysis, were suspended in August, about five months ago, for writing memos to local and foreign authorities after initiating probes against the two top political figures.

The Director of NFIU, Modibbo Tukur, appointed in January 2019 to head the unit for a five-year tenure, stated in a January 13, 2021 letter that the two officials bypassed his authorisation to initiate probes against the two men who are believed to be planning to run for the presidency in 2023.

Mr Mustapha and Ms Salisu are the remaining legacy staff members of the NFIU in the directorate cadre of the country’s foremost financial intelligence body.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the other four associate directors only joined the unit after the re-establishment of the unit through the new NFIU Act which came into force in 2018.

But Mr Tukur said their suspension was “to protect the new FIU from series of abuses they have been committing.”

“The two staff (members) were involved in acts inimical to the interest of the unit as they indulged in insubordination and disobedience of lawful authority,” he stated in the letter responding to a petition sent to the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).

Petition against Tukur

A law firm, C. Chris Ekemezie & Associate, had last year sent a petition to ICPC accusing Mr Tukur of various infractions including alleged “unexplainable” suspension of two of the agency’s staff members.

The petitioner alleged that the two staff members were suspended “for trying to profile a politically exposed person from his (Mr Tukur’s) state.”

Mr Abubakar, a former Nigerian Vice-President and presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 general elections, hails from Adamawa State as Mr Tukur.

In the build-up to the 2019 elections, the Federal Government, through the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, threatened him with investigations for his alleged roles in the collapse of Bank PHB.

Although the touted investigations appeared to be later jettisoned, it is not clear if it was the same case the NFIU officials attempted to reopen in 2020.

Atiku’s case and the NFIU

Mr Tukur levelled other allegations against the two senior officials, but initiating investigations against Mr Abubakar appears to be the driving force for the suspension of the top NFIU operatives.

“It is important to state that his causing an investigation of Atiku Abubakar has absolutely nothing to do with his departmental briefings,” Mr Tukur stated.

According to him, Mr Mustapha wrote to the Inspector-General of Police and the Chair of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Mr Abubakar without authorisation in violation of his standing directive.

“Prior to this incident, I had issued memos and emails to staff and also issue (sic) several repeated verbal warnings that staff should desist from writing Heads of MDAs without formal approval of the Director/CEO,” Mr Tukur stated.

He added, “He was suspended because he independently wrote a request to both Inspector General of Police and the Chairman EFCC on former Vice President Atiku Abubakar without any form of approval or authorisation from the CEO NFIU who was on duty too.

“Herein attached as Annexure 3 are copies of the letters he sent without approval to these organisations.”

Ex-VP visits Buhari

Mr Tukur claimed he did not know of the investigations until he was alerted from the Presidential Villa when Mr Abubakar was trying to book an appointment with President Muhammadu Buhari over the matter.

“Sir,” Mr Tukur wrote to the ICPC Chair, Bolaji Owasanoye, “I only got to know of Mohammed’s action when I was informed at the Villa that Atiku Abubakar is seeking for an appointment with the President to report me for causing his investigation without reason.”

On Ms Salisu’s role in the former Vice-President’s case, the NFIU Director said: “she claimed to have minuted the request on the investigation of Atiku Abubakar to Mustapha AbdulRahman (Mr Mustapha) who went ahead to write IGP and the EFCC Chairman directly, all without approval while I was actively on duty as the Head of Agency.”

Tinubu’s case and the NFIU officials

Mr Tukur also alleged that Mr Mustapha sent a request to the United States of America based on an old Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) case against Mr Tinubu.

In 2011, the CCB, under the then President Goodluck Jonathan-led government, accused Mr Tinubu of breaching Nigeria’s code of conduct law by operating foreign accounts while serving as Lagos State governor between 1999 and 2007.

The case was eventually dismissed by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

Accusing Mr Mustapha of violating procedure, the NFIU Director said his approval as the CEO of the agency was not sought before the move to initiate a probe against Mr Tinubu was initiated.

He stated, “Significantly, after his suspension, it was discovered that he initiated a request to the U.S on Bola Ahmed Tinubu which he extracted from an old case of CCB.

“Again, he did this without my approval and authorisation.

“The problem here Sir is that as the CEO, he is supposed to formally seek my approval before sending out any requests for investigation as doing otherwise after my circulars and instructions to staff amount to insubordination.”

Disclosure of Onnoghen’s case

Mr Tukur also justified Mr Mustapha’s suspension on the grounds that he was being investigated by both the State Security Service (commonly called the Department of State Service, DSS) and the EFCC for different alleged offences.

According to him, while the SSS is investigating the suspended official for allegedly leaking the details of the case against then Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, to the public, the EFCC is questioning him for opening an account for the FIU without approval.

Mr Onnoghen was suspended from office in January 2019 following the charges instituted against him at the CCT.

He did not return to the top judicial office until he finally exited in April 2019.

Mr Tukur said, “Secondly, Mohammed (Mr Mustapha) is officially under investigation by EFCC for opening a bank account in the name of THE FIU without approval.

“I did not know about this case until the EFCC wrote a request for his release for investigation signed by Mr Ibrahim Magu. I was not the person that reported him to the EFCC because I didn’t know about it.

“Furthermore, Mohammed (Mr Mustapha) is officially under investigation by DSS for alleged leakage of Justice Onnoghen’s case details to the public when the Attorney General formally gave an order on the case.

“I was not the Director when the issue took place.

“Herewith attached is a list from DSS including his name, requesting to release him for investigation.

“Both the EFCC and DSS investigations were still ongoing when the present case that led to his suspension happened.

“It is important to state that his causing an investigation of Atiku Abubakar has absolutely nothing to do with his departmental briefings.”

The probe of judges, federal lawmakers

Aside from Ms Salisu’s alleged involvement in Mr Abubakar’s case, Mr Tukur also accused her of bypassing his approval in initiating investigations into the personal bank account of judges and National Assembly members “without any tangible or justifiable reasons” in 2019.

He stated that the letter was written by Ms Salisu to banks requesting the personal details of the public officers “created serious problems for the Presidency, the CJN and the Senate President.”

He added, “It took the personal intervention and guidance by the Vice President, the Senate President, the CJN and the AGF to resolve the issue.

“The politicians were particularly furious because they had their cases then pending at the various Election Petition tribunals.

“The conclusion then was that we were inciting disaffection from the judiciary to get back at the entire government. I queried Fehintola after which she was warned.”

Suspended NFIU Officials decline to speak

Our correspondent reached out to Mr Mustapha and Ms Salisu via their separate telephone lines on Thursday, but they declined to speak on the matter.

“I can’t speak on the matter, it will not be fair for me to do so,” Mr Mustapha said.

On her part, Ms Salisu said, “It is an official matter and the process is still going on,” adding, “I cannot speak on the matter because I have no authority to do so.”

NFIU Director, Tukur, denies other allegations
Aside from the alleged arbitrary suspension of the two officials, the petitioner also accused the NFIU Director of “acting outside the purview of the powers given to the NFIU”, violation of federal character principle in appointments and placements in the unit, blackmailing Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAS) for financial support, and breach of code of conduct for public officers.

But Mr Tukur denied all the allegations with explanations, saying they were “false, maliciously formulated to achieve a mischievous end.”

He added that the allegations “are borne out of mischief, fabrication, unfounded and a product of a fertile imagination.”

Petition dismissed

Chris Ekemezie, whose law firm, C. Chris Ekemezie & Associate, sent the petition against Mr Tukur, told our reporter the ICPC had dismissed its complaints.

“They wrote to us this January, saying our petition is unmeritorious. But we are considering what our next line of action we will take,” Mr Ekemezie said.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/439249-exclusive-nfiu-directors-suspended-for-probing-atiku-tinubu.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Sunnycliff(m): 12:03am On Jan 29, 2021
Some people are more Nigerian than me and you.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by benpuzzy(m): 12:14am On Jan 29, 2021
Sunnycliff:
Some people are more Nigerian than me and you.

That is eeeee, they are above the law, greetings my Boss.
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by solmusdesigns: 12:14am On Jan 29, 2021
cool

They both got paid to victimize Tinubu...

Tinubu was duly tried at Code of Conduct Tribunal for owning foriegn accounts as a Governor and he won his freedom at the Jonathan PDP lead Government tribunals

This and many more victimisation is the reason why Atiku is divesting in Nigeria economy like the sales of INTELS and his massive investment in Dubai UAE

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by koolpal(m): 12:18am On Jan 29, 2021
The more u look , the less u see.... This life ko balance Jo....
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by osamz007: 12:52am On Jan 29, 2021
koolpal:
The more u look , the less u see.... This life ko balance Jo....

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT THAT YOUR SEEING LESS ARAKURIN

6 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:12am On Jan 29, 2021
as usual, dead on arrival......nothing go come out!
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by GamalNasser: 1:17am On Jan 29, 2021
They have become captured pawns in the dirty game of politics , they were clearly trying to knock the chances of both Atiku and Tinubu in the 2023 Elections

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by ThatFairGuy1: 2:07am On Jan 29, 2021
Has Tinubu not been tried, discharged and acquitted over this same issue?

17 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 29, 2021
Those two suspended directors should be jailed for making theirselves available for politicking.

After CCB had discharged Tinubu of any wrongdoing, they still went ahead trying to dirt Tinubu and Atiku, that’s breach of trust.

They should be charged to court and prosecuted for breach of trust. What nonsense, very evil IPOB-Fulani herdsmen kind of mentality!!.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Racoon(m): 3:09am On Jan 29, 2021
Nah them them! So both Atiku and Tinubu are of course above the law sacred cows that cant be probe if anything indicting is found like the bullion vans issue right.When the law itself become the crime.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by BruncleZuma: 3:19am On Jan 29, 2021
Why nah?
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Edmar60: 3:23am On Jan 29, 2021
cool
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by defcon4: 3:24am On Jan 29, 2021
2023 fast approaching, E-Goons and E-minions on the beat.
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Greenback: 3:29am On Jan 29, 2021
solmusdesigns:
cool

Tinubu was duly tried at Code of Conduct Tribunal for owning foriegn accounts as a Governor and he won his freedom at the Jonathan PDP lead Government tribunals

This and many more victimisation is the reason why Atiku is divesting in Nigeria economy like the sales of INTELS and his massive investment in Dubai UAE

Others are talking so you must talk even if na yen yen yen opata. grin

Iammoic mental

9 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Greenback: 3:31am On Jan 29, 2021
ThatFairGuy1:
Has Tinubu not been trialed, discharged and acquitted over this same issue?

Grammar nor easy o grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:36am On Jan 29, 2021
There was a country!!!

sad

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by ForeThinker: 3:57am On Jan 29, 2021
Bawzz
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by elmessiahs(m): 4:00am On Jan 29, 2021
I will fight corruption without strategy, I will fight corruption while your associates and family are the people who perpetrates the stealing what do you expect the head to do? He couldn't beat them, he joined them.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by mrfreestuff: 4:06am On Jan 29, 2021
benpuzzy:

That is eeeee, they are above the law, greetings my Boss.

Hahaha..... they initiated memos from dead cases without clearance from their superior.

They must either be idle or being bribed to do such a hatchet job. This is why FG most times lose cases in court.
Since they did not get clearance from their bosses, something definitely caused them to do the job , so who bribed them and why do they need those dirts if not to find dirts they can use for 2023 presidential election.

3 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by elmessiahs(m): 4:06am On Jan 29, 2021
some Nairalanders still see our problem (buhari) as their god and a performing leader. I just don't understand if it is ignorance, mischief or deliberate stupidity or maybe all the above.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by SHOPPERS(m): 4:14am On Jan 29, 2021
The simple truth is, we only have two political parties in Nigeria. The politically exposed and the politically imposed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Oluwadami009(m): 4:14am On Jan 29, 2021
The ex-VP visited the president to complain about being investigated and he will come out in 2023 that he is different from him and wants to rule?.
Nigeria political elites are one irrespective of party, only a fool would beleive that one of this current set of politicians is different.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by mrfreestuff: 4:15am On Jan 29, 2021
elmessiahs:
some Nairalanders still see our problem (buhari) as their god and a performing leader. I just don't understand if it is ignorance, mischief or deliberate stupidity or maybe all the above.

Buhari is not my problem sir.

Did you see those two old oil communities leaders beating themselves to stupor inside the national assembly yesterday, is it Buhari who caused the fight too?

6 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Nobody: 4:16am On Jan 29, 2021
Let me just keep quiet make Adekunle no go vex but been a PEP in Nigeria no be beans o.... especially the way people would take false information about you as true,how many people do you want to talk to in order to clear your name.
Should I also say we have weak institution, even if the CEO NFIU gave approval so the Presidency would just pull the plug if it won't make some people happy.

2 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Sammy07: 4:19am On Jan 29, 2021
osamz007:

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT THAT YOUR SEEING LESS ALAKURIN

Arakunrin pls

Type the proper Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by elmessiahs(m): 4:27am On Jan 29, 2021
mrfreestuff:

Buhari is not my problem sir.

Did you see those two old oil communities leaders beating themselves to stupor inside the national assembly yesterday, is it Buhari who caused the fight too?
what is the undertone behind their fist if not money which was a strategy to put a stop to the hearing in order to frustrate the pib abi pigb bill. God knows my brother
Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Quim2: 4:28am On Jan 29, 2021
solmusdesigns:
cool

Reduce your political ass lickings

9 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by princemillla(m): 4:35am On Jan 29, 2021
What’s bad in it now ?

Atleast the duo should be happy after whatever is invited to investigate them clears them of any wrong. But there is no peace for the wicked is the case

1 Like

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by TemmyT002(m): 4:50am On Jan 29, 2021
If you take the time to read the entire article and not just the headline, you will realize that PDP and APC are the same and their members are best buddies. They are just disguising.
Wow.
They are playing us like ludo.

7 Likes

Re: NFIU Directors Suspended For Probing Atiku, Tinubu by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 29, 2021
How d country wan take better?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Insecurity In South-East Will End 2 Minutes After My Release - Nnamdi Kanu (Vide / Buhari To Address Nigerians At 7am Friday Morning / Atiku To Nigerians: Don’t Allow Tinubu Turn Nigeria To His Personal Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.