Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,993 members, 7,814,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP (29225 Views)

Oba Akintunde Akinyemi Supports Igbo Presidency, Rejects Tinubu’s ‘Ambition’ / How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP – Oyinlola / How Obasanjo, Jonathan Left Us To Suffer — Ex-nigerian Airways Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:13am On Jan 30, 2021
A former governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, has revealed how former President Olusegun Obasanjo truncated the ambition of the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, to become the running mate to Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), who was the APC presidential candidate in 2015.

Oyinlola explained that even though Obasanjo was the last person to throw his weight behind Buhari’s candidature, having opposed the re-election of the then President, Goodluck Jonathan, he was eventually prevailed upon to support the former military ruler.

In an interview with one of our correspondents, Oyinlola, who was once the military administrator of Lagos State, pointed out that there was already an agreement between Buhari and Tinubu before 2015 that they would be presidential and vice-presidential candidates respectively, a deal he said was initially hidden from most party members.

This development, according to him, led to some uneasiness in the party as they feared that a Muslim-Muslim ticket could cost the APC victory in the election, given the near-equal population of Christians and Muslims in the country and the sensitivity that surrounds religion issues in the country.

Prior to the 2015 elections, political parties always ensured their presidential candidates and their running mates emerged from the two dominant religions, with the only exception being the MKO Abiola/Babagana Kingibe candidacy on the platform of the Social Democratic Party in the June 12, 1993 election.

Even though Abiola and Kingibe, who were the presidential candidate and running mate respectively, eventually won the election, it is regarded as a one-off scenario. The election was later annulled by the regime of the then dictator, General Ibrahim Babangida.

Meanwhile, speaking further, Oyinlola explained that if not for Obasanjo’s intervention, the APC would likely have gone ahead with the Muslim-Muslim ticket and the party could have found it difficult to displace the government in power, especially when all reservations that surfaced over the proposed Muslim-Muslim ticket had been dismissed.

He added, “The agreement was concealed from a good number of the party leaders until it surfaced after Buhari had got the ticket. Then the rumour came out and some us felt danger was looming with the idea of Muslim-Muslim ticket. To further add to our fears, General Buhari on one occasion said there was nothing wrong in the Muslim-Muslim presidential arrangement, saying after all he governed with Tunde Idiagbon.

“That statement made us to know it (the Muslim-Muslim idea) was a fact. On two occasions, Bola (Tinubu) mentioned it in my presence that they agreed. If you recall one trending video back then, where it was said that Buhari had jettisoned what they agreed on, that is the room he was sleeping when Buhari was looking for the post.

“We then told Baba (Obasanjo). We told him that taking power from an incumbent government was a tough task and we must not give room for excuse and miss the target. We told him they (Buhari and Tinubu) were thinking of a Muslim-Muslim ticket. That was when Baba (Obasanjo) said people should not take the sensibilities of Nigerians for granted.”

He said after Obasanjo’s intervention succeeded in changing the decision, some people started spreading the news that Obasanjo frustrated the plan to make Tinubu the vice-presidential candidate.

He added, “After that (Obasanjo’s intervention), they started saying it in my presence that Obasanjo frustrated the plan to get Tinubu on the ticket for 2015 but I always acted as if I didn’t hear them. We then had a stakeholders meeting where the issue of the running mate was discussed again.”

In addition to Obasanjo’s input, Oyinlola said a former governor of Gombe State, Danjuma Goje, also cautioned against the Muslim-Muslim ticket, especially because the party needed all the votes it could get from different parts of the country.

He added, “At the meeting, ex-governor Goje, rose up and said in the northern part, there is negligible number of Christians. He said the APC would need every vote to upstage the incumbent, so nobody should toy with the idea of a Muslim-Muslim ticket and everybody concurred. I think it was even Bola (Tinubu) that suggested that the matter should be taken before some leaders to resolve. But we never saw anything like that again.”

Meanwhile, Tinubu had said at the 7th annual Bola Tinubu colloquium at Eko Hotel in Lagos on March 25, 2015, two days before the election, that he pulled out of the contest.

He had said, “They attacked General Buhari, saying he would not subject himself to a primary. He did and won it as our party held the most open and transparently honest convention ever held in Nigeria. They said I connived and conspired my way into the VP seat. They lied so easily that it was the price I extracted from General Buhari to support his bid. If not, I would destroy the party on the altar of my ambitions.

“They were wrong. I pulled myself out of contention. The very brilliant and capable Prof Yemi Osinbajo became our VP candidate. A man of integrity and impeccable character. Alas, this sent Jonathan’s henchmen into disarray. In the quiet of their private closet, even they could see clearly enough through the darkness of their own hearts to recognise that our ticket was so much better than theirs.”

https://punchng.com/how-obasanjo-truncated-tinubus-ambition-to-become-buharis-vp-oyinlola/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by mamaafrik(m): 6:17am On Jan 30, 2021
These people.....,even devil will be like "ha....haa,ogbeni...., you wan go to hell,why you dey lie like this?",we are seeing the Bomboklact already

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Mayng01(m): 6:18am On Jan 30, 2021
Who can summarize this?
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by solmusdesigns: 6:22am On Jan 30, 2021
cool

Obasanjo knows Buhari like a father knows a child, he gave him his first ever appointment in governance as a young soldier and minister of petroleum

So Obasanjo knows what he was saying, claiming Buhari is incompetent especially on Economic issues

He is also very correct warning them on Muslim/Muslim tickets

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by plaindealer: 6:29am On Jan 30, 2021
There more than 1 million fake Tinubu gist out there, the only way to sound and feel relevant, to generate traffic and make money is to quote and reference Tinubu, the man is a whole industry keeping people employed..

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by nairavsdollars(f): 6:36am On Jan 30, 2021
Oyinlola I hear you
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by SmartPolician: 6:37am On Jan 30, 2021
This story has been told a million times.

It's now stale.

Next, please.

4 Likes

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by helinues: 6:38am On Jan 30, 2021
Summary pls
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Racoon(m): 6:38am On Jan 30, 2021
OBJ real regret should not be truncating the Burdillion bullion vans man VP ambition but rather the role he played in enthroning the present catastrophe on seat.Political histroy will never forgive or forget OBJ.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by nony43(m): 6:40am On Jan 30, 2021
Obj never supported Buhari at first just that he got no option then, and he had an outstanding beef with Gej.

5 Likes

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Racoon(m): 6:45am On Jan 30, 2021
“Restructuring was the major thing we sold to the South-West that made people to key into Buhari’s project. So, when Buhari said he does not know the meaning of restructuring, then I threw in my paper, I can’t be a chairman under you.”
This is another truth they have been denying especially their zombies here.A man of integrity indeed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by spinna: 6:53am On Jan 30, 2021
valentineuwakwe:

“That day, he said Buhari that he knew would try in the area of military matters, but outside that, Buhari knows next to nothing; not economy, not foreign affairs and he has been proven right.”

/
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Macphenson: 6:59am On Jan 30, 2021
Kkk
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by ChiefOloye(m): 7:09am On Jan 30, 2021
I know it, this kind of boring, long and falsehood laden story would likely come from the staple of the Punch. bunch liars and facts twisters!

2 Likes

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by ThatFairGuy1: 7:13am On Jan 30, 2021
Nabena is mad for the statement below. angry

What is the population of Osun State that they gave the party in the first place?"

Though oyinlola is inconsequential as he claimed.
Ordinary his polling booth he couldn't win for APC not to talk of his hometown.

If not because of Inisa and Oyan, APC would have lost the local government to PDP

3 Likes

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 30, 2021
Like our prediction in 2019... Buhari would be roundly denied even by the fulanis before 2023..

Not because they detest him as a person, but to atleast patch the very visible cracks of the nations unity, someone very notable must take the blame..

Tinubu has seen the signs and gone behind the scenes while being protected by his grassroot. you cant say same for Buhari, because his grassroot is also a major problem affecting all.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by BigSarah(f): 8:02am On Jan 30, 2021
Mtcheww ...These people no rate Nigerians at all..
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by BlackfireX: 11:15am On Jan 30, 2021
So it was an Igbo man( obasanjo) that stop tinubu (VP) ambition
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by VictorUSA(m): 11:27am On Jan 30, 2021
Thank God my role model is a widely respectable man around the world.I love him and I look forward to meeting him and shaking his hand somedays.Barack Hussein Obama speak sense into senseless corruptgeria politicians.

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Derrylatei: 12:41pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ok
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Uchenaija: 1:09pm On Jan 30, 2021
He would have been a better option than the docile Osinbajo.
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Vaughanlanrewaj: 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
valentineuwakwe:

https://punchng.com/how-obasanjo-truncated-tinubus-ambition-to-become-buharis-vp-oyinlola/
If you want to trend, just mention Tinubu cheesy

They are doing the campaign for Asiwaju.

On Asiwaju Tinubu I stand.

Meanwhile, if you want free stuffs, just visit
www.freestuffsng.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Honor10: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
Tinubu this Tinubu that, u na no dey tire?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Abigirlsuen: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
Mr. Bitumen who failed woefully as Lagos State Military Administrator and left much rot and corruption driven and poorly executed public roads and infrastructural projects as Osun State Governor should be quiet. No thanks to the bull in a China shop tongue of Chief Bisi Akande which allowed for Oyinlola to be Governor. Osogbo lost the opportunity to have the Government House close by the Oba Palace as planned by Chief Bisi Akande. Doubtful if it’ll be any longer. Folks who chased away the contractors from that site are paying with ignominious endings in life.
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by Crimrburster: 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
O better

1 Like

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by sammysmiles(m): 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
What's our business
Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by butterfly777(m): 1:13pm On Jan 30, 2021
I don't care about that.

What concerns us now is how to deal with the issue of open grazing, and the conquest ambition of the cattle herders.

We the masses have to get organised and stand up against a common enemy. The government and kings have proven unreliable. Many of them are even receiving payments and other benefits from the government and the herders.

If they care, they would have done something tangible since. But we can all see what they are doing and saying, directly and indirectly.

So, let's rise up. Let us do anything in our capacity, such as Intellectual warfare, legal warfare, social media warfare, prayer warfare, Sunday Ighoho-ism, civil rallies, civil disobedience, and so on.

Rise up and do something.

God is on our side, and victory is ours.

1 Like

Re: Oyinlola: How Obasanjo Truncated Tinubu’s Ambition To Become Buhari’s VP by 5loaves2fish: 1:13pm On Jan 30, 2021
Incase you need a supply of 100-200 pieces of iced block per day, let me know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lauretta Onochie Caught Lying On Twitter Over Nasarawa-Jos Road (Photos) / Abuja Metro Station: It Will Be Disastrous For Me – Wike Condemns Project Design / Army Displays Shekau's Flag & Qu'ran Recovered By Troops In Sambisa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.