Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,326 members, 7,822,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion (37561 Views)

Offa Old Students Back To School, 35 Years After High School (Video) / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
Richy4:

I don't banter words with people that lies just to score cheap and unnecessary points. What is the world ranking of the best Nigerian university?

Even Cambridge university engineering faculty doesn't do engineering practical almost everyday.. Even the university I went to here in Australia, The Nigerian guys then who were in Engineering faculty did not mention every day practical. And the uni is about 150 below in world ranking. Please stop talking
Congratulations that you went to Australia but that's your business and cup of tea. Because you have a friend who studied engineering, you feel you now know everything that goes on in the faculty and that qualifies to make statements on behalf of your friend. You can as well print your name on a certificate and go in search of engineering jobs since you now know more than those who have been through it.

You mentioned Cambridge to make your wonky opinion a fact but I'm sure you don't even know what goes on within the four walls of that school. I wouldn't be surprised if you quote the Bible to force your opinion down everyone else's throat. I'm only surprised that with all your Australian education, this is how poorly you process your thought.

Just look at your logic. If you're really convinced that the higher the ranking, the higher the practical, then there are a lot you don't know.

Many top schools abroad offer 5 courses per semester. In one department in Unilag's faculty of engineering, they offer 14 courses in one of the semesters and nothing less that 11 in almost all others. Does that mean UNILAG would rank top in the world?

Good luck to you.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 2:37pm On Feb 01, 2021
MedicH:

School is not meant for everybody. If data is expensive, try ignorance.
Says a rich man because he can afford an expensive phone
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 2:39pm On Feb 01, 2021
uvie66:
What about petrol for generator ?
Ohhhhhh! I didn't even mention that. Some persons think that all Nigerians are rich
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by daxclusive1: 2:44pm On Feb 01, 2021
Zoom will work. It's not big deal atall. I support your idea
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by AKAyomide(m): 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2021
How can you bring up such ideas!?
Do you know the resources that need to be put in for such learning to be carried out by students' at home!? We are in the country where there is no circumstant power supply. Many students use don't even have a smart phones let alone to purchase data to participate for the E-Learning. The data policy of Google classroom isn't beneficial to students. Just imagine,I am offering four courses in a day and 15 courses in a day weeks, How many gigabyte of data will have yo used to participate in those online classes!? There is poor network Providers such as Globacom network provider. In case of emergency situations to be online and there's no sufficient data and out range of power supply, What do you want such student to do?
Thank you so much!
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 2:48pm On Feb 01, 2021
AndikanEssien:

The cost of paying for rent for a year at school will cover for data
1. The cost of powering the cost wasn't considered. You think it easy to charge your phone or you think most students have generators at home?. Have you phantom those who reside in the villages ( some villages lack power supply (not even electricity))
2. The availability of network wasn't considered ( network signal is poor in most locations)
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by TrippleSource: 2:53pm On Feb 01, 2021
capitalzero:

Acquire some skills instead of wasting money on postgraduate education?
Thanks for the advice!
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by TrippleSource: 3:03pm On Feb 01, 2021
uvie66:
A postgraduate student that don't know the past tense of seek ?

Thanks. I will remember to proofread next time!
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Akaegwu(m): 3:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
HigherEd:
Considering the current Covid19 increased virulence and the obvious lack of a vaccine in Nigeria. it might be a good idea for students of social sciences, education, business and commerce, law etc to go back home in a bid to depopulate the Universities.

The reason is majority of these programmes can be conveniently taught online. As a matter of fact, the recent zoom update is quite better improved to support teaching. E.g a large class of students can now breakout into different breakout sessions therefore improving the experience.

The only students that should be retained in school at this moment in my opinion should be those of the science and technology, medicine and surgical departments who need to use laboratories and can't simulate such an educational experience online.

MyTwoCents
Hope you will provide constant power and stable network to all the students,even those that reside in the village.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by 9icedudie(m): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2021
SirWarlock:
Watch how people will call you enemy of education grin. Anyway you do have a point, tertiary institutions should stop pretending they can handle everyone at once but what do I know, corona will dodge schools undecided.

This may seem like a good idea but in true sense it's very shallow.
Social science and art courses are not always theory based. Theatre and performing arts are highly practical inclined...same goes for fine arts and music.

how many of our university lecturers are conversant with modern technology? for instance organizing a zoom meeting. For this to happen, there's a need to organize a workshop for these lecturers to make them vast in the guy in the area of technology.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by BadBradley: 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2021
SirWarlock:
now that's a point that people could have added. Basically like what OAU is planning.
it's Nairaland.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2021
9icedudie:

Social science and art courses are not always theory based. Theatre and performing arts are highly practical inclined...same goes for fine arts and music.

how many of our university lecturers are conversant with modern technology? for instance organizing a zoom meeting. For this to happen, there's a need to organize a workshop for these lecturers to make them vast in the guy in the area of technology.
well it doesn't mean they have to send ALL non-science/lab students home. Just when it's not totally necessary for some to be present in school at the same time with others. Your second point, isn't it what some them are doing? I mean uniabuja and announced a workshop for that, don't know how it panned out though. We just have to do something grin.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by reccy(m): 3:27pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:
bastard your opinion is inconsequential.
Useléss things
Ok
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Tony142: 3:40pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:

the HigherEd op is a self acclaimed graduate of covenant university, he is an ardent member of winners chapel.
During their Shiloh programme there were reports of COVID-19 infection spreading through the numerous worshippers that attended the programme. The same op here was still the one that opened his dirty gutter mouth to type trash that the gates of hell cannot prevail against the church, he even went on to proof that Covid 19 is a scam and buttressed points to proof COVID-19 cannot be spread in the church.
Now he has come up with a trashy write up and one useless foolish mod took it to frontpage.
Na heavy thunder go fire am.
Useless fools, hypocrisy stinks among most of these professed christians

I swear, them no dey think with their brain
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Richy4(m): 3:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
ThreeBlackBird:

Congratulations that you went to Australia but that's your business and cup of tea. Because you have a friend who studied engineering, you feel you now know everything that goes on in the faculty and that qualifies to make statements on behalf of your friend. You can as well print your name on a certificate and go in search of engineering jobs since you now know more than those who have been through it.

You mentioned Cambridge to make your wonky opinion a fact but I'm sure you don't even know what goes on within the four walls of that school. I wouldn't be surprised if you quote the Bible to force your opinion down everyone else's throat. I'm only surprised that with all your Australian education, this is how poorly you process your thought.

Just look at your logic. If you're really convinced that the higher the ranking, the higher the practical, then there are a lot you don't know.

Many top schools abroad offer 5 courses per semester. In one department in Unilag's faculty of engineering, they offer 14 courses in one of the semesters and nothing less that 11 in almost all others. Does that mean UNILAG would rank top in the world?

Good luck to you.

Oga everyday practical, Please stop making noise... Go and check the 5 basic performance breakdown on how they rank universities in the world.

Assuming that you were doing engineering practicals almost everyday as you claimed, trust me something should have clicked one day and boom!! Nigerian institutions would have made a ground breaking Research and money realized from inventions will be so much that there won't be need for ASSU strike. go and sell your lies to those that cared so much to listen because I don't

I think I am through with you this time for real.. Have a good day.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 01, 2021
Richy4:

Oga everyday practical, Please stop making noise... Go and check the 5 basic performance breakdown on how they rank universities in the world.

Assuming that you were doing engineering practicals almost everyday as you claimed, trust me something should have clicked one day and boom!! Nigerian institutions would have made a ground breaking Research and money realized from inventions
will be so much that there won't be need for ASSU strike. go and sell your lies to those that cared so much to listen because I don't

I think I am through with you this time for real.. Have a good day.
Practicals and researches are different things. Don't lump them up. Until you're able to tell the difference, just rest abeg. Study your sociology or whatever in peace and don't meddle in what you don't understand.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Veezy4u(m): 4:04pm On Feb 01, 2021
Rubbish what would arts students do You deserve to be beaten like person wey thief phonecheesy

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by KingAlabi: 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2021
edoairways:

That is the issue. If the cost of data can be subsized, then it might work even though some areas may have poor network signal. Better still, lecturers can record their lectures and then post them on YouTube.
Trust me
Students no go watch am cheesy
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by VTJN(m): 4:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
horpeyemmi66:

Whatever rocks your boat...I have better things to bother about.
I love this response you gave him kiss wink

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 4:12pm On Feb 01, 2021
KingAlabi:

Trust me
Students no go watch am cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by zedegit: 4:23pm On Feb 01, 2021
Nonsense and ingredients.
op go back to sleep. we move.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 4:26pm On Feb 01, 2021
9icedudie:

Do you know that some professors cannot send text message?

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by tee4naija(m): 4:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
If social sciences and humanities can be taught virtually, sciences, engineering and medical sciences can also be taught online. No difference.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by VTJN(m): 4:39pm On Feb 01, 2021
[quote author=Richy4 post=98636395]

I don't banter words with people that lies just to score cheap and unnecessary points. What is the world ranking of the best Nigerian university?

Even Cambridge university engineering faculty doesn't do engineering practical almost everyday.. Even the university I went to here in Australia, The Nigerian guys then who were in Engineering faculty did not mention every day practical. And the uni is about 150 below in world ranking. Please stop talking [/quote,,)He was merely exaggerating, no engineering department in Nigeria public University engaged in practical almost everyday.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Gordieshegz(m): 4:41pm On Feb 01, 2021
chatinent:
There's no course that cannot be taught at home.

Ha
Hmmm
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Gordieshegz(m): 4:56pm On Feb 01, 2021
elmessiahs:
very illogical, belittling one faculty while exhorting another is symptomatic of bias and this simply shows why Nigeria is backward. with such thought in peoples mind, we are heading for a crash

Bro
You missed that guy's salient point because he did not exhort any disciplines but prioritize them here.

If you had cross examined his submission, you would have seen that he was partly right. Virtually all courses in arts, law, social sciences are classroom based and are often very large crowd. But they can be conveniently taught online.

On the other hand, Medicine, Dentistry, etc have smaller class sizes, and also do daily clinical rotations and case presentations of patients. Also, all science courses have practicals that can only be done in the laboratories on campuses.
These will be challenged if they aren't brought on campuses.

However, my concerns with op's logic are;
1. Megabytes are too expensive to be spent on unlimited zoom meetings.
2. Online teachings are not as effective as everyone thinks.

I have personally started a number of online studies that I could not complete because they were not really interesting to attend.

It is well sha...
Make people just do it and leave the stage.
God bless you my brother.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by 9icedudie(m): 4:57pm On Feb 01, 2021
edoairways:
Do you know that some professors cannot send text message?
🤣🤣🤣 I have seen this in UNN
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Tundex911: 5:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
E be thing
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Richy4(m): 5:32pm On Feb 01, 2021
[quote author=VTJN post=98640363He was merely exaggerating, no engineering department in Nigeria public University engaged in practical almost everyday][/quote]

You know, I did not want to ask him the name of the institution that engaged in practical almost every day..I don't want to do that to him because It will be like calling the devil a liar grin
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Oteikwu1(m): 5:36pm On Feb 01, 2021
Says hu ?
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Roysnickz: 5:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
Richy4:

Even Cambridge university engineering faculty doesn't do engineering practical almost everyday.. Even the university I went to here in Australia, The Nigerian guys then who were in Engineering faculty did not mention every day practical. And the uni is about 150 below in world ranking. Please stop talking
He didn't said everyday... He said almost everyday... While are you guys deliberately turning blind to the 'almost' he used.
About the Cambridge University Engineering Faculty and the university in Australia that you referred to, I don't know much about, which I am not very sure you also knows.
Here in Nigeria however, and to be specific, in the university I attended, there where some semesters we had laboratory classes/practicals almost everyday.
Sure, it was normal to have 4 or 5 practical/laboratory courses in a semester. Tell me how you the student will not have practicals almost everyday?
There, each core engineering course come with it corresponding laboratory course. should you are talking Strength of Materials, you have to take Strength of Materials Laboratory as a course of it own. Same thing to Engineering thermodynamics, Basic Engineering Electricity, Engineering Fluid Mechnics, Applied Mechanics, ITC in Engineering, Engineering Materials etc.
So, at a point you take up to 4 or 5 practical course in a semester, why will not have a practical course almost everyday?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Universities Awarding Degrees In Less Than 6 Months, PhD Below 1 Year - NUC / Rival Cults Hold Talks In UNIBEN / Lecturer Asks Students To Submit Notes!!! *pics*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.