Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,189 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965254 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 20, 2015
kevin96:

How many feed (kg) are dey eating daily?
25kg of top feed plus maize
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 20, 2015
kevin96:

How many feed (kg) are dey eating daily?
25kg of top feed concentrate plus maize
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:41pm On Apr 20, 2015
hayor2014:

@jamp what do you mean by sort the birds, when putting them in a cage....explain please

You sort to avoid intimadation/canibalism among the birds (In the same cell). You also sort to give the smaller ones room to feed and catch up with the bigger bird.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:43pm On Apr 20, 2015
segun1976:

Still waiting for advice. Na today oooo.

Oga update the house.

Did you receive the birds today? What is their age and the average weight?.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 7:53pm On Apr 20, 2015
jamp:

Oga update the house.

Did you receive the birds today? What is their age and the average weight?.

I really must appreciate the pieces of advice I have received from everyone.
The birds didn't arrive today as scheduled due to some logistics challenge. We have reschedule for Wednesday (by God's grace). Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 7:54pm On Apr 20, 2015
jamp:

You sort to avoid intimadation/canibalism among the birds (In the same cell). You also sort to give the smaller ones room to feed and catch up with the bigger bird.
Thanks for the clarification. The "how" & reason for sorting is now clear.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 8:30pm On Apr 20, 2015
justified19. Shouldn't Wheat Offal be included in the feeds formulation I.e concentrate + maize + wheat offal? I'll suggest you use finished feeds for 2 - 4 weeks. Let us see how it goes.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 20, 2015
Eggcelent:
justified19. Shouldn't Wheat Offal be included in the feeds formulation I.e concentrate + maize + wheat offal? I'll suggest you use finished feeds for 2 - 4 weeks. Let us see how it goes.
ok, top feed finished feed ryt?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 10:22pm On Apr 20, 2015
justified19:
ok, top feed finished feed ryt?

yes top feed is good. But it might be they are still recovering... Remember dey went deep down on ncd and u were even having mortalities then . It does takes some time for laying birds to bounce back from ncd... Please what were dey laying before u started dat treatment then?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 10:26pm On Apr 20, 2015
segun1976:

Thanks for the clarification. The "how" & reason for sorting is now clear.

are you picking them directly from the hacthery or someone is bringing them to you?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 12:46am On Apr 21, 2015
justified19. Yes, please.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 5:21am On Apr 21, 2015
kelvin96:

are you picking them directly from the hacthery or someone is bringing them to you?

They are POL & we picking them directly from the brooding farm ( a few miles away from our farm).
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:33am On Apr 21, 2015
kelvin96:

yes top feed is good. But it might be they are still recovering... Remember dey went deep down on ncd and u were even having mortalities then . It does takes some time for laying birds to bounce back from ncd... Please what were dey laying before u started dat treatment then?
they were laying same thing. dia production has been stagnant
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kevin96(m): 7:36am On Apr 21, 2015
okay switch over to topfeed and let see.... And please ensure enough vitamins for dem.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 8:02am On Apr 21, 2015
Justified19 ..i will advice you use finished feeds(my opinion),and also religiously follow the 16hour lighting program by increasing 1hr per week till you get to the required 4hrs extra..white bulbs please from 6pm to 10pm

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jaz(m): 10:22am On Apr 21, 2015
how much is a crate of eggs from the farm currently
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:59am On Apr 21, 2015
justified19:
they were laying same thing. dia production has been stagnant

When last did you deworm them.? You may consider doing that.
Equally with the quantity of feed they are consuming. they may be overweight. You will need to weight them, if they are above 2kg. you may add Choline Cholide to the feed to burn their fats.
Goodluck.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 12:04pm On Apr 21, 2015
The cost of feed n labour are going up but the price of egg remain the same.

nawaooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 12:30pm On Apr 21, 2015
Good day house, please how can I successfully treat cholera in layers? I have given them keproceryl and the symptom of solid greenish dropping still persist. Though, they look very active but there is occasionally cough in them. Initially, I thought it was Newcastle's symptom and gave them lasota, but later discovered through this forum that it's cholera. I have given them this Keproceryl for a week now and it seem it doesn't work,I even gave them iodine and it was the same story, please what can I use as permanent solution.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2015
davidzfarm18:

When last did you deworm them.? You may consider doing that.
Equally with the quantity of feed they are consuming. they may be overweight. You will need to weight them, if they are above 2kg. you may add Choline Cholide to the feed to burn their fats.
Goodluck.

I second the overweight assertion.....a layer is to eat 100gramme of feed per day ,that leaves you with a total of 21.4kg per day for all your birds(214 birds)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:08pm On Apr 21, 2015
samuel25:
Good day house, please how can I successfully treat cholera in layers? I have given them keproceryl and the symptom of solid greenish dropping still persist. Though, they look very active but there is occasionally cough in them. Initially, I thought it was Newcastle's symptom and gave them lasota, but later discovered through this forum that it's cholera. I have given them this Keproceryl for a week now and it seem it doesn't work,I even gave them iodine and it was the same story, please what can I use as permanent solution.
Give them only water for a day. then place them on Conflox or any enrofloxacine range of products for five days.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2015
samuel25:
The best way to know is thru lab test. And "NEVER VACCINATE SICK BIRDS WITH LIVE VACCINES". SINCE U hav been giving antibiotics and they look healthy, stop antibiotics and give multivit.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 4:27pm On Apr 21, 2015
FarmTech:

The best way to know is thru lab test. And "NEVER VACCINATE SICK BIRDS WITH LIVE VACCINES". SINCE U hav been giving antibiotics and they look healthy, stop antibiotics and give multivit.

Please for knowledge sake
@farmtech... You said not to treat sick birds with live vaccines....what is a live vaccine and what other type of vaccine exists in order to treat a sick bird with
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samuel25(m): 9:46pm On Apr 21, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Give them only water for a day. then place them on Conflox or any enrofloxacine range of products for five days.
Thanks, will do that.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 9:43am On Apr 22, 2015
samuel25:

Thanks, will do that.

Was doin a little reading on the recommended drug and I saw this on Wikipedia...Enrofloxacin was banned(in USA I guess) for poultry use in 2005. [ 6 ]Baytril should not be used in rapidly growing animals (for example dogs under 12 months - 18 months in large breeds, or kittens under 8 weeks) as it causes abnormalities in the development of articular cartilage...

Dunno if anyone has seen this
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 10:59am On Apr 22, 2015
[color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
pls help me out,my isa brown layers of 150 are now 16wks,i was planning on giving them eds vaccine before when they are 18wks but looking at things now,i cant aford it,can i use komarov instead?i heard it can be given at 8wks and 16wks but i did not give them at wk8,pls what should i do.pls i need ur advice.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 3:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
Great farmers, how long does it take a local turkey incubation period takes?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tucurj(m): 4:00pm On Apr 22, 2015
samshoz:
Great farmers, how long does it take a local turkey incubation period takes?
just 28 days
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 4:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
tucurj:

just 28 days
OK, thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:15pm On Apr 22, 2015
segun1976:

I really must appreciate the pieces of advice I have received from everyone.
The birds didn't arrive today as scheduled due to some logistics challenge. We have reschedule for Wednesday (by God's grace). Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 6:54pm On Apr 22, 2015
@kelvin96. I just sent you a mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.