Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,387 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965599 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:48pm On Apr 25, 2015
Cleoo:
Hi farmers with swag and good heart, I really appreciate our efforts in helping each other grow. I ve been feeding my broilers starter (amo feed ), they will be 6 weeks on Tuesday next week, I didn't administer gumboro on the 10th day, lasota once, but no motarlity or stunted growth. Most of it are weighing upto 2kg already(they can barely walk) . As I was complaining to my feed vendor about how they consume feed and the expenses incured, she advised me to add corn, pkc, to the starter feed in other to save cost .. I started giving them the mixture dis morning, but got scared when I went to check on them 2 hours later, I noticed some of it were making weird noises, as if something is choking them. Am scared o! Did I make a mistake by adding pkc to its feed Should I ve waited till its seven weeks? Cuz I wanna sell it off at 8weeks... Please help a sister cuz these birds has been growing just fine no sickness (Even though I add drugs to their water on daily basis). Am so confused, cuz I heard pple add pkc to their feed, abi my own go different?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 1:57pm On Apr 25, 2015
@Pathology.
You may need to add Calcium to the feed. . as for the weak birds. withdraw feed for them minimum 3 hrs for 3days
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akeebagp: 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2015
sad
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:05pm On Apr 25, 2015
Cleoo:
Hi farmers with swag and good heart, I really appreciate our efforts in helping each other grow. I ve been feeding my broilers starter (amo feed ), they will be 6 weeks on Tuesday next week, I didn't administer gumboro on the 10th day, lasota once, but no motarlity or stunted growth. Most of it are weighing upto 2kg already(they can barely walk) . As I was complaining to my feed vendor about how they consume feed and the expenses incured, she advised me to add corn, pkc, to the starter feed in other to save cost .. I started giving them the mixture dis morning, but got scared when I went to check on them 2 hours later, I noticed some of it were making weird noises, as if something is choking them. Am scared o! Did I make a mistake by adding pkc to its feed Should I ve waited till its seven weeks? Cuz I wanna sell it off at 8weeks... Please help a sister cuz these birds has been growing just fine no sickness (Even though I add drugs to their water on daily basis). Am so confused, cuz I heard pple add pkc to their feed, abi my own go different?
First, u don't feed starter for 6wks. I think it's for 3-4 weeks. As for vaccination, u may escape mortalities if u take shortcuts, but it is a dangerous risk not worth taking. It can cost u 90% mortality when it strikes. Rather than adding corn, pkc etc, buy finisher and feed vendors are not the best people to get advice from. They are mostly concern with selling their product and can rip u up. Some of them may not even hav any experience with chickens.
Putting antibiotics in their water daily will help prevent a lot of diseases, but there is a danger of antibiotic resistance developing with time.
Also, while changing feed, do so gradually by mixing new and old feeds 2gether.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 25, 2015
tucurj:
@segun1976,what a nice starting and finishing,i just love the layout.success

Am impressed Segun...kudos mate!!! Ur cages where locally made.... Or u bought them. The cost of buying 85k has been advertised by farmergiant n d rest for 120 bird capacity.

Am trying to save cost of buying the cages. How much did it cost you to construct this 3,000 capacity cage for your bird.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:36pm On Apr 25, 2015
bigiyaro:
pls my ogas in d farm, my broilers r six weeks +, all d vaccs have been done, pls i need a good antibiotic for maintainin dia health n preventing sickness or out break. Thanks
It depends on which antibiotic that works for ur birds. Tylodox against respiratory disease wks for mine and I gave it once (3-4days) a month.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Cleoo(f): 6:54am On Apr 26, 2015
FarmTech:

First, u don't feed starter for 6wks. I think it's for 3-4 weeks. As for vaccination, u may escape mortalities if u take shortcuts, but it is a dangerous risk not worth taking. It can cost u 90% mortality when it strikes. Rather than adding corn, pkc etc, buy finisher and feed vendors are not the best people to get advice from. They are mostly concern with selling their product and can rip u up. Some of them may not even hav any experience with chickens.
Putting antibiotics in their water daily will help prevent a lot of diseases, but there is a danger of antibiotic resistance developing with time.
Also, while changing feed, do so gradually by mixing new and old feeds 2gether.
oga Farm tech thanks for guidelines. I was told to give them starter till 6 weeks, this is my first time of raising birds, so am still learning. As for the vaccines, never will I make such mistakes(I've learnt my lessons) .. The antibiotics will be curtailed as u advised
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 9:51am On Apr 26, 2015
obstead200:

A very big congrats to u. Please I also need the number of the person who designed ur cages. kindly send me a mail at obstead2003@yahoo.com or 08036269893

Also, please how many feet wide is your pen? I notice u want to place two rows of cages.

I am also building a poultry in the south east and am aiming to do eggs too. My pen is 23ft wide. I think it will be about 6ft high at the lowest points. I hope it is ok?
I will make out time to take Pictures of my ongoing construction project and post it here for accessment.
I am yet to roof the building sha and I think I am glad to learn that asbestors or aluminum is better cos I was planning to use zinc. what is the price per sheet of asbestors please? will aluminum be ok as an alternative?

you see, I really dont know my left from my right in this poultry biz. I just observe what I can see in other farms and then replicate it in my own site. I however intend to undergo training before starting.

pls do send me the contact details of the cage provider.
You can reach the cage man on 08029562263 or 08063101354.

Our pen is 120ft by 30ft to accomodate 17units of double row (making a total of 34 units) housing 3,264 birds.

Because you must allow space in between rows and between the cage row and pen wall, not sure your width wont be too tight to take two rows.

There are two sizes of the abestors, we used the large and its N1,800/unit, 194 units was used.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 10:04am On Apr 26, 2015
segun1976:

Hello House, just to provide update on our expected 3,000 layers.
Again we couldn't get it done today. The challenge has been the availability of moving crates. Now we have scured some crates on rent and should effect the movements latest by Friday morning.
My concern really is that the birds should be moved before they are 17weeks old. Some literature I read states that it's not good for layers to be moved after they are 17weeks. This is because this is a critical period when the birds attain sexual maturity and stree could interfere with this natural process.

@ Everyone

We finall received our 3,264 POL birds. We had to move them over 2 days, Thursday & Friday. We didnt get enough movement crates and to do several trips to complete the transfer.

The birds were administered anti-stress/vitamins since arrival. No mortality recorded and they look very fine. Monitoring their feed consumption as an indicator of their stability.

Please how much (on the average) does your compounded layer feed come to? I know it depends on specific formula and location but need it as a guide.

Would try to continually update the house.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 10:10am On Apr 26, 2015
Scanfrost:

Am impressed Segun...kudos mate!!! Ur cages where locally made.... Or u bought them. The cost of buying 85k has been advertised by farmergiant n d rest for 120 bird capacity.

Am trying to save cost of buying the cages. How much did it cost you to construct this 3,000 capacity cage for your bird.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

The price of locally fabricated cages would largely depend on type of material and locality. The type we used cost us about 45k in Lagos and this includes the plumbing connections and 3 mini water tanks per row.

You also have to consider that the useful life of the type offered by farmergiant may be more than the locally-fabricated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:56am On Apr 26, 2015
Cleoo:
oga Farm tech thanks for guidelines. I was told to give them starter till 6 weeks, this is my first time of raising birds, so am still learning. As for the vaccines, never will I make such mistakes(I've learnt my lessons) .. The antibiotics will be curtailed as u advised
U can still give the antibiotic every month.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nonny1234: 1:16pm On Apr 26, 2015
segun1976:

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

The price of locally fabricated cages would largely depend on type of material and locality. The type we used cost us about 45k in Lagos and this includes the plumbing connections and 3 mini water tanks per row.

You also have to consider that the useful life of the type offered by farmergiant may be more than the locally-fabricated.

Pls can we see pictures of ur finished pen house..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:49pm On Apr 26, 2015
Nonny1234. You may check page 115 for the photographs you request.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sugarsoul(m): 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
grownaira:

Two bags will last for about 5days.
Note that if they start laying, a bag won't go more than 2days.

A bag costs btw 2,200 to 2,400 depending on the brand and location.
Thanks bro, I appreciate your reply- pls which brand of feed is best for them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 7:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
House. Anyone with an idea on route of administration & dosage of Oxy L.A. in poultry? I'll appreciate inputs, please.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
thanks bro i appreciate
grownaira:

Bro: follow the following schedules, and your birds will be good God's willing;

Give them keproceryl (or a good antibiotic) and any good multivitamins from the da of reception.

Give them anti CRD 2x a week till u dispose them.

Administer first gomboro on day 10
Administer first lasota on day 15
Administer 2nd gomboro on day 21
Administer 2nd lasota on dat 30

Note: give them multivitamin 2ruout except on the day(s) you are administering vaccine.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davies427: 1:46am On Apr 27, 2015
Pls help:
Good day i have been reading the nairaland blog for a long time, n just decided to seek an outside opinion. I have a farm in ibadan wit a capacity of 4k birds. They r from agrited. As promised, n by the chart given to me by there sales team. The birds where suppose to start laying @19weeks. All vaccination instructipns was carried out n followed wit no issues. They started laying @ 22weeks. They will be 23weeks now. However we have started to notice that mortality is now 1 to 2 per day. Pm was done. Crd was confirmed by d vet. We have used all types of meds name it. It still nt resolving. What can one do to treat crd effectively. Thanks will be waiting for a response
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 4:44am On Apr 27, 2015
davies427. Sorry about the loss so far. Meanwhile, which antibiotics have you used? You may need to go for further tests to verify if your birds have (not) developed resistance to some of the antibiotics. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davies427: 5:42am On Apr 27, 2015
@eggcelent will do dat this morning. We used tylodox, it did nt work. We even just completed dose of colestine a week back. Same thing. But like u said. Will take dem to the lab this morning. N give u a feed back. Thanks n God bless. Any suggestion is also welcome
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:47am On Apr 27, 2015
In addition to eggcelent comment, you can give them tylodox its very good for crd. Also check if you are giving them the right dosage.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:52am On Apr 27, 2015
davies427:
@eggcelent will do dat this morning. We used tylodox, it did nt work. We even just completed dose of colestine a week back. Same thing. But like u said. Will take dem to the lab this morning. N give u a feed back. Thanks n God bless. Any suggestion is also welcome
in that case go for test in a lab maybe the bitds ve devrloped strong resistant to antibiotics like eggcelent said
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by favour112: 11:10am On Apr 27, 2015
Hello Great farmers in the house.
Please can any body tell me the difference in the feeding of pullets and cockerels.
I actually want to know the quantity of feed a cockerel will consume from day old till 6 weeks.
All advice and suggestions are welcome.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jdkoko(m): 1:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
Please whats wrong with my birds,
They have been dieing and this is what I noticed

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jdkoko(m): 1:41pm On Apr 27, 2015
More pics

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 2:24pm On Apr 27, 2015
jdkoko. Is this prolapse or pecking? Since when have you noticed this? What changes did you make to their feed/feeding, housing, and/or lightening?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2015
Eggcelent:
jdkoko. Is this prolapse or pecking? Since when have you noticed this? What changes did you make to their feed/feeding, housing, and/or lightening?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jdkoko(m): 4:38pm On Apr 27, 2015
Eggcelent:
At first I felt it was pecking,so we debeaked them again, after a week it started again my mentor said it might be prolapse so I reduced there feed from 2.5 to 2 bags they are 485 but still its happening.
I didnt change there feed I use amo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
davies427:

try w drug called "E.S.T.-MIX WSP". it's a very effective drug for stubborn CRD
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 4:57pm On Apr 27, 2015
jdkoko:

At first I felt it was pecking,so we debeaked them again, after a week it started again my mentor said it might be prolapse so I reduced there feed from 2.5 to 2 bags they are 485 but still its happening.
I didnt change there feed I use amo.

other causes of prolapse include;
1. unregulated lightening regime
2. early introduction of pullets to layers diet which makes them come to lay b4 dia oviduct muscles are fully developed
3. extra large eggs
4. severe worm infestation.

check and see which might be d cause.

unfortunately, dia seems to be no effective treatment for prolapse. so bro, it's best to slaughter any bird u see that is infected with prolapse.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by favour112: 6:02pm On Apr 27, 2015
Hello Great farmers in the house.
Please can any body tell me the difference in the feeding of pullets and cockerels.
I actually want to know the quantity of feed a cockerel will consume from day old till 6 weeks.
All advice and suggestions are welcome.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 7:26pm On Apr 27, 2015
jdkoko. Please, give consideration to what grownaira has said. Meanwhile, keep the quantity of feeds at the present 50gram for the next 2 weeks. Also consider adding choline chloride to their feeds. Success.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.