Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965895 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 3:58pm On Jul 09, 2015
fnk:

All the birds didn't die at once, we called in different vets, their conclusion was where we got the feed from, in good fath a friend offered to help cut my cost on feed my compounding feed for me. He has a mill in his farm where mill for his layers. The proximity of his mill to the layers pen is very close, so buying those feed and taking them to my farm was like introducing the bacteria from his farm to my, while his birds are muted to those bio security, my farm and birds weren't , so, everyday, we were recording high number of mutuality, and trying to treat the birds with different kind of drugs, and their suffering from the attack, stalled their growth, so, a 12 weeks bird was weighing 700g so we have to destroy over 1000 birds ourself, because at that point, the cost of raising the birds were already above N1,500/bird. So, it didn't make sense to continue trying to feed them or treat them. So, I have learned from that experience, I was trying to save money and didn't think through the descsion. But everything was done with good intention, my friend wanted to help me. So, don't buy feed from a farm where the mill is right next to the pen of their own birds, you will be bridging the bio security in your farm with the virus and bacteria from the other farm.

Sorry about your lost, it is part of experience one need to become an expert in this field. Besides, some lessons has been learned from your post.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 4:59pm On Jul 09, 2015
endy247:
i gave them ivermectin wen i first noticed it last wk bt it's still there, maybe i'll try it again, i'm getting tired of dis birds sef.

@endy247 how r ur birds doing? any update on the LICE? have u been able to erradicate it completely from ur pen?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 9:51am On Jul 10, 2015
sukkotfarm:

@afosoft.
over 80% that's good.pls I will like to ask u...which hatchery did u get one laying and where are u planing to get the new DOC. And what can you say about d size of there eggs.pls what brand of feed are you using.thanks

Thanks guys, the birds are from Obasanjo Farm, i collected them 26th of Jan. I am using livestock feed. At sukkotfarm I am thinking of that 2million shortfall as well... may be i will wait a month or two to save before collecting the DOC but in this business time is as important as money.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 10:35am On Jul 10, 2015
afosoft:

Thanks guys, the birds are from Obasanjo Farm, i collected them 26th of Jan. I am using livestock feed. At sukkotfarm I am thinking of that 2million shortfall as well... may be i will wait a month or two to save before collecting the DOC but in this business time is as important as money.

Boss, How has been your experience using Livestock feed? Top Feed has caused us drop in production and small sized eggs, so considering Livestock/Vital Feeds.

Is livestock feed okay and the price competitive?

Thanks,sir.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 11:19am On Jul 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:

@endy247 how r ur birds doing? any update on the LICE? have u been able to erradicate it completely from ur pen?
@Akaytopsy, thanx 4 ur concern, d birds are ok now, i diluted cypermectin 5% and sprayed on d birds and d pen house, repeated it after 2weeks, i cant say if it has been completely erradicated bt for now i avn't seen any.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by philchudi: 11:26am On Jul 10, 2015
Hello!
I really appreciate what's going on in this tread. please I really need ur help. I wannt to venture into this business immediately I am done with my final year exams. I have even started building my farm but the rate of mortality I have seen in this tread is getting me scared.
My first experience with the bus before skul was not a better one. though I have learnt that it was the accommodation. Please I need where I can get practical training on this probably near Enugu. Also, using loan(though without interest) will it be too risky?. I planned to go into players.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by endy247(f): 11:41am On Jul 10, 2015
afosoft:
My birds are now over 80% in production. 77 crates out of 2800birds. Now i am planning to take 6-7,000 DOC and task this laying birds to feed them to lay as big sisters.. Guys what do u think.
@afosoft congrats on ur birds, are u photostimulating them? d livestock feed u are using did u start using it from wen they were DOC, and how many bags are d 2800 birds consuming in a day?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:45am On Jul 10, 2015
twoMcfemad:

Boss, How has been your experience using Livestock feed? Top Feed has caused us drop in production and small sized eggs, so considering Livestock/Vital Feeds.

Is livestock feed okay and the price competitive?

Thanks,sir.
Are you sure it's top feed you used?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:47am On Jul 10, 2015
Obstacles may come: so What: who is afraid of them. cos we know that Victory will surely come from the Almighty God who never fails.

Got the Golden Egg today from my Restoration Batch at 19wks 2 days. Despite the heavy challenges of lice and failed Fowl Pox Vaccine. To God alone be the Glory.

Afosoft. You are on point. in poultry business and farming in general. Time is as important as money.

@;Jamp. how are your birds doing and the preparation for the DOC?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
FarmTech:

The poultry feed industry is facing serious challenge due to increase in exchange rate. increasing cost of local raw materials and the competition(largely on prices
some.
In my area for example. Farmers have complain seriously about drop in production using top feed and vital feed. late last yr , it was animal care when they tried to substitute for soyer due to it's unavailability.
That why we need to come together in this forum and fashion out the most effective means of solving the Fred challenge which constitute more than 70% of our cost of production.
It's time to look inward and tap into the most important potential we have on our inside as a forum.
Remain ever blessed.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by twoMcfemad: 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
FarmTech:

Yes,boss. Issues started a month ago and still persists. Farmers around us who changed have seen improvements. No feed seems to be good and No one seems to be bad. Its really worrisome.

davidzfarm18:

The poultry feed industry is facing serious challenge due to increase in exchange rate. increasing cost of local raw materials and the competition(largely on prices
some.
In my area for example. Farmers have complain seriously about drop in production using top feed and vital feed. late last yr , it was animal care when they tried to substitute for soyer due to it's unavailability.
That why we need to come together in this forum and fashion out the most effective means of solving the Fred challenge which constitute more than 70% of our cost of production.
It's time to look inward and tap into the most important potential we have on our inside as a forum.
Remain ever blessed.

You are right,sir. The feed challenge is a huge one and its really time to look inward. You can imagine layers mash appearing like chicks mash...all powdery, no grains to pick.

It is all well!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by bosaty2003(m): 12:49pm On Jul 10, 2015
Dear House,
1. Please I need a pen size that can house 5,000 birds in a deep liter system.
2. total cost of pen construction if iron is used as a pillar of the pen

I will appreciate a feed back urgently.

well done guys.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Judithume(f): 2:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
Dear farmers in the house. Which layer mash do u consider the best. Livestock or top
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:28pm On Jul 10, 2015
kengeorge:

I am the friend who helped @FNK mill the feed. @FNK this is Ken, I would rather have read this post and not respond but for the nature of the thread and the fact that we are all learning here I will say a little bit of my experience. First off all sorry for the loss, I know what it feels like to loose that number of birds. Though you didn't particularly blame me for the incident, but I feel like I did something wrong introducing you to something like that. while there maybe a possibility as to the reason given by your vet (In Theory). I am somehow not convinced about the cause given by your vet. As at the time I introduced you to this feed, I was feeding my 4000 DOC with the feed and I was not raising those birds in my Main Farm where my feed mill is located. I was brooding in the small pen at the back of my house. and I was getting excellent result with them because it was my first time trying out Animal Care Broiler Concentrate. The growth and the livability was encouraging hence I called you and told you about it. If you would recall in time past you asked me if I can mill broiler feed for you but I said no because I don't do broiler and don't want to take any risk on a formula I have not tried out myself. I keep only layers and that is the formula I have and have tried. after the first batch of 4000 DOC, I took another 4000 DOC which I also brooded in my house and at 13 weeks my mortality is less than 5%. With my little experience in this industry, farmers don't have a support system, 90% of the so called vet you have around don't know what they are doing, they solve most of your problems by asking you questions and finding loopholes in your operation and tell you that is the reason. I have had my own bitter experiences with them and at this point I just rely more on my past experiences and that of fellow farmers. The first DOC of 4000 was from zartech, they delivered 4000 to me and 4000 to my friend same day from the same hatchery, but when brooding started we got completely different result. while he recorded high early mortality, my mortality rate was near zero. So my point here is there are so many factor that can affect a flock at different times. The fact that you mill your own feed is always a flag when anything is happening with your flock, I have seen that time and time again. Farmer lets be wise.

Hay Ken, You didn't do anything wrong, I really appreciate your help and corcern, you have always said that to be profitable in this venture, one need to be able to mill his or her own feeds. Which is so true. Feed alone constitutes between 70%-80% of the cost of raising the birds, so, if one can cut down on that percentage it will go a long way to help big time.
I don go back home ooo, over a week already, I have to hang out with the family for the summer now that they are out of school, I will be coming back by the 3rd week in August. So, hope all is well out there.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:

If you are really planning to mill, I would suggest you try Koudjis Concentrates. My broilers batches have been on Koudjis for almost a year and Yes! Zartech birds. And the result has been wonderful. That is not to say we never had challenges, but that would only be due to other factors not the feed.

Most of my broiler batches are out 6wks (+/- 3days), meaning sometimes I dispose them even b4 6weeks.

If you check the earlier posts sometimes this year we spoke about it and someone even posted the combination formular.

any idea where I might find the formula, I just want to play with it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
yemmit90:

Sorry about your lost, it is part of experience one need to become an expert in this field. Besides, some lessons has been learned from your post.

Thank you, we are here to learn from each other.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:

If you are really planning to mill, I would suggest you try Koudjis Concentrates. My broilers batches have been on Koudjis for almost a year and Yes! Zartech birds. And the result has been wonderful. That is not to say we never had challenges, but that would only be due to other factors not the feed.

Most of my broiler batches are out 6wks (+/- 3days), meaning sometimes I dispose them even b4 6weeks.

If you check the earlier posts sometimes this year we spoke about it and someone even posted the combination formular.

So which feed do you use do you compound it yourself? what formula do you use?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 4:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
endy247:
@afosoft congrats on ur birds, are u photostimulating them? d livestock feed u are using did u start using it from wen they were DOC, and how many bags are d 2800 birds consuming in a day?

Yes, from DOC and i feed them all with 12bags every day...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afosoft: 4:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
bosaty2003:
Dear House,
1. Please I need a pen size that can house 5,000 birds in a deep liter system.
2. total cost of pen construction if iron is used as a pillar of the pen

I will appreciate a feed back urgently.

well done guys.

8m width by 60m lenght should house 5000 comfortable with 3tier cage two rows... For total cost... go price materials in the market
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:24pm On Jul 10, 2015
pharmmylovey:

Thanks a lot for this contribution. What about the livability of Obasanjo birds? The feeds issue how many weeks of starter and finisher. Did you need to add indomie? and pls how many bags of top feeds did they consume to reach that weight. Thanks.

Talking about mortality, that is why I as specific about OBJ OTA farm, from Ibadan, the mortality for me was very high and that was why I switched to Zatech. But trying Obj OTA farm DOC and using top feed the result has been great. as at my 5 weeks they weigh 1.4kg. and the feed consumption is about 4-5kg to reach 2-2.5kg live bird. We do started for the first 3 weeks and finisher the last 3 weeks to get 2 kg live in 6 weeks. We used to use grower for 2 weeks after the 3 weeks starter, but we stopped that.

I don't know about indomie ooo!!! please house help with this one.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
philchudi:
Hello!
I really appreciate what's going on in this tread. please I really need ur help. I wannt to venture into this business immediately I am done with my final year exams. I have even started building my farm but the rate of mortality I have seen in this tread is getting me scared.
My first experience with the bus before skul was not a better one. though I have learnt that it was the accommodation. Please I need where I can get practical training on this probably near Enugu. Also, using loan(though without interest) will it be too risky?. I planned to go into players.

Mortality in this industry is inevitable, so don't be scared, but learn from here what people didn't to mitigate it and go for it. You know that it is a good opportunity, you cannot make it by standing on the sideline and fearing what might happen without trying, you might come up with something different that we all will end up learning from you.

my two cents.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
davidzfarm18:

some.
Remain ever blessed.

I agree with you, I have been reading and looking everywhere on the internet to learn more about feeds, like you said, the idea will be to be able to get everything locally. My main business is based on imports, going into poultry for me was to be able to do something that is locally produced and locally consumed.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
fnk:

So which feed do you use do you compound it yourself? what formula do you use?

I use the Koudjis Concentrate to mill my feed. Below is the the formular as given by the company.

I copied this from the original post by Kelvin96 on page130

kelvin96:As regard how to mix the KBC 10, Starter 0 - 17 days; kbc10 125 kg, maize 600 kg, soya meal 275 kg.Grower 17 - 37 days; kbc10 100 kg, maize 650 kg, soya meal 250 kgFinisher after 37 days; kbc10 80 kg, maize 695 kg, soya meal 225 kg.There is another one called kbc30 Starter Maize: 650kbc30: 350Finisher: 650Kbc30: 300Wheat Offal: 50And for Galdus , it is a prestarter feed directly from holland, made by koudijs.It helps the birds builds their digestive trait.You can read more about it herehttp://www.koudijs.deheus.com/feed-solutions/poultry/day-old-chicks@grownaira, the 2kg i talked about is live weight.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pharmmylovey: 5:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
fnk:

Talking about mortality, that is why I as specific about OBJ OTA farm, from Ibadan, the mortality for me was very high and that was why I switched to Zatech. But trying Obj OTA farm DOC and using top feed the result has been great. as at my 5 weeks they weigh 1.4kg. and the feed consumption is about 4-5kg to reach 2-2.5kg live bird. We do started for the first 3 weeks and finisher the last 3 weeks to get 2 kg live in 6 weeks. We used to use grower for 2 weeks after the 3 weeks starter, but we stopped that.

Thanks a bunch. The experience I had with Obasanjo birds is horrible. So I am scared of their birds. Where is this other one in Ota and how do I make a booking?

Thanks a bunch

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
AkayTopsy:

I use the Koudjis Concentrate to mill my feed. Below is the the formular as given by the company.

I copied this from the original post by Kelvin96 on page130

kelvin96:As regard how to mix the KBC 10, Starter 0 - 17 days; kbc10 125 kg, maize 600 kg, soya meal 275 kg.Grower 17 - 37 days; kbc10 100 kg, maize 650 kg, soya meal 250 kgFinisher after 37 days; kbc10 80 kg, maize 695 kg, soya meal 225 kg.There is another one called kbc30 Starter Maize: 650kbc30: 350Finisher: 650Kbc30: 300Wheat Offal: 50And for Galdus , it is a prestarter feed directly from holland, made by koudijs.It helps the birds builds their digestive trait.You can read more about it herehttp://www.koudijs.deheus.com/feed-solutions/poultry/day-old-chicks@grownaira, the 2kg i talked about is live weight.

I am only dealing with broilers, will this also work for it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by philchudi: 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
[quote author=fnk post=35710648]

Mortality in this industry is inevitable, so don't be scared, but learn from here what people didn't to mitigate it and go for it. You know that it is a good opportunity, you cannot make it by standing on the sideline and fearing what might happen without trying, you might come up with something different that we all will end up learning from you.

my two cents.
Thank you very much for ur kind words. I must give it a try.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
davidzfarm18:

some.
Remain ever blessed.
True talk bro.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 12:04am On Jul 11, 2015
fnk:

I am only dealing with broilers, will this also work for it.

Yes it will work( even though the doc is from a low hatchery).. and it works better if you start them with galdus for the first 7days.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by EZEUDENE(m): 7:05am On Jul 11, 2015
kelvin96:

Yes it will work( even though the doc is from a low hatchery).. and it works better if you start them with galdus for the first 7days.

Goodluck
kelvin u mean with just maize and soya meal u will compound broilers feed or is there any other thing to put?please answer me urgently
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kelvin96: 9:21pm On Jul 11, 2015
EZEUDENE:

kelvin u mean with just maize and soya meal u will compound broilers feed or is there any other thing to put?please answer me urgently

yes with just maize and soya.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by unclec2015: 10:48pm On Jul 11, 2015
Please I will like to go into day old chick production. In south east zone there is really opportunity for this.
Any ideas on how to go about this for example where to go for training?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pharmmylovey: 11:33pm On Jul 11, 2015
fnk:

Thanks sir. How do I make booking at the Ota Branch. Please share contact if you have. Thanks again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.